Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

BJPaskoff posted:

My girlfriend is hooked on Pokemon Go and is all nostalgic for the Pokemon TCG, and I'd like to play with her. She wants the physical cards though. I bought her the Pikachu Generations box, but of course that's not a deck. I saw starter decks in my LGS, but they use Pokemon we've never heard of.

Do any of the theme decks currently in Standard format have lots of Gen 1 Pokemon?

Webbeh posted:

And Evolutions should be available to purchase in the shop today. :dance:
Tying these posts together. The Evolutions theme decks... really are subpar, compared to some of the better recent ones. But they are out, exist, and focus on Base Set-looking cards, so there's that.

Poison Mushroom posted:

If you want a deck that feels a little better/more consistent/more fun to play, but two copies of the same starter deck, and build one decent deck from the two. Pokemon starter decks almost unilaterally have a problem that just about everything in them is a 1-of or 2-of, in a 60-card deck with a 4-of maximum. I think you can see what the problem is.

Edit Fair warning, card-draw is super ubiquitous in Pokemon, so deck building is really different than MtG. A decent rule of thumb, about half your deck should probably be trainers, the other 30 split fairly evenly between Pokemon and Energy.
This thread does that for you for most theme decks, and a few other products.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

PJOmega posted:

That was the original plan but finding physical players is apparently difficult. That or they're little kids who get dropped off for a couple of hours and I'm not gonna go up and offer them cash for toys.

If it isn't too much effort, you could check your Pokemon Leagues nearby on the Pokemon.com website, under Play! Pokemon.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

PleasantDirge posted:

So what counts as a "block" and when is rotation? I thought on heard a streamer talk about XY being a part of standard for 2 years? They also mentioned packs becoming scarce while the set is still standard legal. The big box stores in town seem to only have the most recent and trash packs on the shelf but I live in a college town so idk if its grognards or what.

A "block" will usually refer to a group of sets (of cards), usually broken up by different games. XY block, Black/White block, HeartGold/SoulSilver block, etc. Some use it to refer to subgroups within those blocks that are rotated out, such as XY through Phantom Forces moving out of the Standard format once September rolled around.

Rotation is a way to remove cards from the main format of Standard, changing up what become the new best-decks-in-format, by making those rotated sets not legal for the Standard tournament format, excluding any cards contained within those sets that have been reprinted in a later, still-legal set. One example of this would be the card Devolution Spray. (It allow allows Nintendo to sell new cards, instead of everyone using the "best" cards forever and ever. :v: )

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

PleasantDirge posted:

OK, so once a year we get a random swath of cards NOT based on the what set it comes from. Is the Pokemon company pretty good at curating whats in standard? Do we get a spoiler season like in MTG or do they just dump the cards on or around release date to us? Sorry if I am being a pain in the rear end, I have never played anything but MTG and the compare/contrast is really interesting to me bc I'm a huge nerd
To clarify on the response in the post above mine, it is "random" insomuch as they may reprint cards, which would keep cards from the rotated sets from rotating out, but yes, otherwise, they go out of the Standard format. It's usually four sets per year, which means...

PleasantDirge posted:

Side note: if rotation just happened I should still be chasing those Shaymin EX's bc I have time to find them and play with them for a minute right?
... that Shaymin-EX (Roaring Skies) is still good until the next rotation in September, when it is "due" to be rotated, as usually, at least two sets are rotated out of the Standard format. It will probably play a role in the Expanded format (which is current Black and White-onward), but without a reprint, would leave th Standard format. (Which, given its rarity and pricey, somewhat overcentralized draw-support role, would be considered by many to be a good thing.)

Lorak fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Nov 30, 2016

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

PleasantDirge posted:

What would be a good tier 1-1.5 deck for standard that has a minimum of Shaymin-EX's that I could play? I have 1 and could probably get 1 more but that would limit my budget for the rest of the deck and I would rather not blow everything on one standard deck if I could avoid it.

Here's not a bad place to start.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Poison Mushroom posted:

Couldn't remember my old info, so I guess I'm starting from square one.

Oops. Which of the current theme decks are worth getting?
Two copies of the Greninja theme deck are a pretty decent start to combine. Low Energy attackers, and free Retreat, is a lot to like in my book. Slowking can help you slow your opponents' Energy attachment, and Slowpoke can get you those Pokemon out faster. Golduck provides a usable secondary attacker.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

kaesarsosei posted:

Sorry to drop in on this thread like this, but is there a thread for the Pokemon collectable card game ie "real" cards? My son is big into it and with it coming up to Christmas I want to figure out what would be the best thing to buy him. I glanced at Amazon and even as a former Magic The Gathering player, and current Hearthstone player, I am completely baffled.
Most of the questions that extend to the virtual game apply to the "real" TCG as well. I (and I presume the rest of us) can offer suggestions, but a few bits of information more would be useful:

1. Does he play the game competitively, collect as much as he can, or both?
2. Does he attend a Pokemon League, go to any Prerelease events, or take part in any tournaments? If so, ask him if he plays Standard, Expanded, or both. (If he plays competitively, he'll know what you mean. If he doesn't, asking him if he uses cards as old as Black and White should clarify.)
3. Does he have a favorite Pokemon?
4. What are his favorite decks to use? Survive the deluge of jargon that you receive with this answer; alternatively, ask if you can see his decks, and post some of the names of the Pokemon (not mana-like Energy cards or Trainer cards) that you find in those decks.

Collectors may value certain gifts more highly than competitive players. For example. while I would love to get the Super Premium Collection for its included art book, I already functionally own almost everything else in there: storage boxes and dividers from the Elite Trainer Box products, equally-usable reprints of the promo cards, and probably every card that would come out of those included booster packs.

That said, I have a weak spot for various forms of holographic basic Energy cards, which may not be any different functionally than the ones that come out of theme decks, but come on. The EX: Emerald basic Energy cards were some of the most beautiful for the Pokemon TCG, and it saddens me that we never got Dark, Metal, or Fairy prints of them. (Considering the last type didn't exist until XY, and the former two weren't basic Energy types until DP, this can be forgiven.)

More information can also be helpful, such as where we might suggest the Colorless Pokemon named Shaymin-EX from Roaring Skies if on a higher budget, or a functionally similar albeit slower line of Octillery if we're talking about lower-level play, at a much lower price.

Lorak fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Dec 7, 2016

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Elblanco posted:

The differences for GX vs EX are:

GX pokemon have less HP overall
I would argue more, overall.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

inkmoth posted:

So, I mostly played PTCGO in the halcyon days of Shiftry and traded for most of the big splashy staples back then (tropical beaches, shaymin, generic trainers etc).

I'm pretty out of the loop these days, and currently play an Archie's Ace Blastoise extended deck.

I'm mostly a Magic player, so I play pokemon mostly for the bullshit complicated combo decks. Is Blastoise still my best bet? Or is there a new king of ten+ minute turns?
If we're going Expanded, Night March can take a while to get through its initial Battle Compressor set-up turn, presuming it does not get item-locked, while still hitting hard. Other fun options include the multi-Energy attachments of Turbo Darkrai and Despair Ray-focused Mega Gardevoir builds.

Lorak fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jan 24, 2017

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

SuperKlaus posted:

Hey Pokemon TCG thread. I have a friend with some old Pokemon cards who'd like to know if they have any value. Gen 1 and Gen 2 Pokemon, from the earliest days of the TCG, I think. Might those be worth anything and if so where does one get a handle on these things?
To the right person, in the right condition, it would be worth more than your average cards. My suggestion is checking TCGPlayer as a point of reference, to see for what prices competing vendors are selling older cards, in ≥ Very Good condition.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Bogart posted:

Can I play as Imakuni? in this game or what.
No, but you can play the card Imakuni? in this game. It's been made into a Supporter, in the Generations set, and still confuses your Active Pokemon, but now also eats up your one Supporter for the turn.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

PMush Perfect posted:

Sounds about right. You want about half the deck to be Trainers, probably a little more.
Which would be a suggestion I would stand by, were it not for the new Garbodor, which makes the thread title more apt. 20 damage for each Item in your opponent's discard pile, when used against you, is enough to give pause as to how the new philosophy of deck-building might go.

EDIT: Changed Trainer to Item, as per what the card actually does.

Lorak fucked around with this message at 10:37 on May 11, 2017

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

PJOmega posted:

Looked it up cuz my eyes kinda bugged out at that.

20 damage per ITEM. Still a huge hit obviously for a single energy investment.

Sorry; was getting things crossed between that and the Trevenant that hits for 30 damage for each Trainer in your hand.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

PMush Perfect posted:

What changed?
While I can't say I know, Shadow Stitching seems useful in a format where Tapu Lele GX is a thing, as Giant Water Shuriken is against low HP Basic Pokemon.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Elblanco posted:

If roaring skies somehow doesn't leave standard. I think people would riot.
While Shaymin EX (Roaring Skies) has served its purpose in the past, it has also mostly been dethroned by Tapu Lele GX's versatility, especially in grabbing one-off Supporters in a way similar to how the Battle Compressor engine of the XY-era functioned. Shaymin EX's drawing capabilities (without using up the Supporter per turn) are still quite strong, but its Achilles' heel remains its 110 HP as a Pokemon EX, whereas Tapu Lele GX has a very serviceable attack and HP to boot.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Zodack posted:

Unrelated to online but I've bought two GUR boxes in my attempt to return to the game.

I got 6 picks in the first and a lucky 8 in the second. Out of those 8, 6 were identical to the first box, including a rainbow rare Toxapex and a Secret Rare Max Potion.

I feel like the butt of a practical joke.
Make use of Wish Baton, Lunala GX, and the secret and rainbow rares.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Star Man posted:

Someone I play Magic with bought a box and a half of Burning Shadows and opened like six or seven Pokémon-GX cards. Now several of us want to mash Pokémon cards together. If we were to get sanctioned events started up, what's the format that's the most common to play in: Standard or Expanded?
Standard tends to be the more common format, but you can always check the Play! Pokemon events in your area on Pokemon.com to see what's up. Leagues vary; mine tends to be Standard-focused, but it's fine to play Expanded or Unlimited (as long as you let your opponent know, so that if they have a matching format deck, that they can switch to it). Another I attend does a hard restriction of Expanded, with no Unlimited allowed (and the variation that if you play Standard, let them know, and they might want to switch to their Standard deck).

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Star Man posted:

We all got rid of our Pokémon cards a long, long time ago, so it's not like we're going to be ripping out our Haymaker decks like it's 1999 again.

I think that we're going to be limited to mostly what's available in-store to buy from sealed product, though I would like to get singles as soon as I can. So Standard it is.
For an accessible, though not perfect, way to make a deck from sealed product, take two copies of a theme deck, and put the best cards from one into another. There's a thread on another site that offers recommendations for you on this front, though the update schedule can be erratic.

The other recommendation would be to just go the singles route. Find the most commonly-used singles in decks, grab three or four for most of 'em, and swap them from deck to deck as need be. Just be aware the new Standard format, in less than a month, will exclude cards from before Ancient Origins, unless they are reprints of cards that are in sets from after that.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

DoctorOozy posted:

Cross post from the Pokemon mefo thread

I am a competitive MTG player who has recently introduced my son to Pokemon as a gateway drug, however I have found the game great fun! 

I would like to build myself a competitive Pokemon deck and have been doing some research but from what I have researched I am a still a little confused about the rotations. I would like to buy into a competitive deck and find some competitive play in the UK over the next 6 months. 

Any advice as to; 
Where to find competitive deck lists/where to buy lists and what to avoid with incoming rotations. (e.g. i like the look of Greninja BREAK but its loosing Graninja?) 
Where to find competitive event info (how does it work, MTG has FNM/PPTQs and GPs where do i go for competitive events?) 

Ibsee this thread is the TCG online but was sent here with my question. I also would like to know how to do comparative play online too. Getting cards and finding tournaments.
As a source of non-paid deck lists, results, and content, the Charizard Lounge is where I refer players to when going for competitive deck lists.

As for the rotation, the Standard format will be cards from Breakthrough and onwards, come September. Standard Rotations are once a year, usually starting in September, announced somewhere in July - August, and are usually 3-5 sets. They tend to start with the next "major" block to introduce a mechanic or set name, so next year's rotation, while not guaranteed to be so, will probably be Sun and Moon-on. (Previous rotations were: Primal Clash-on, a "base set" that introduced Ancient Traits, XY-on, the start of the XY block. The three rotations before that were a group of five and two groups of three that made up the Black and White era: Boundaries Crossed-on, Next Destinies-on, which introduced Pokemon EX, and Black and White-on, the start of the Black and White block.)

Finally, for events, look to the official site: https://www.pokemon.com/us/play-pokemon/

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

DoctorOozy posted:

Many thanks. Exactly what I was looking for.
Quite welcome. Last, since I didn't mention it in the original response, Greninja, Greninja BREAK, the good Frogadier, and the Bubble Froakie from the BREAKPoint set are by extension still in the new Standard format.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

PMush Perfect posted:

Step 1 is probably to buy another copy of the theme deck, or just some other way to get a bunch of good supporters. The starter decks always have way too many Pokemon and too few trainers. Good news is that Wave Slasher has the good Froakie, the good Frogadier and a decent spread of trainers, so you don't have to change that much.

Next, you want to get your hands on, at least, a couple copies of the XY Greninja. They're cheaper now that Greninja Break makes them kinda obsolete ($1 each or so), but that's good for a budget deck. If you feel like dropping some dosh, getting 2-3 Greninja Break makes the Greninja you've got more appealing again. You want at least 1 Greninja BREAK, it will do a lot of work, but at almost $10 a pop, it feels unreasonable to ask you to get more than 1. (Plus, there's something inherently fun about playing Your Best Card.)

The biggest hotness to play with the deck is Steam Siege Talonflame, who is super sexy in the opening hand, but a complete dead draw otherwise, and it can be very counterintuitive for a younger player. On a more budget run, I have a lot of praise to be said for Flashfire "Powerful Friends" Miltank. It's been printed in like a billion different theme decks, and has a lot of bang for your buck once you get a Greninja on the field. I also like the possibility of a couple Lapras GX. They're not the BEST card in the world, but starting with one as your active can buy you a lot of time to build your field up. (I may get some grief for these suggestions, IDK.)

4 Dive Balls and 4 VS Seekers are essentially mandatory. They're that good. I'd also try to get 4 Splash Energies, 4x Professor Sycamore, 2 Fisherman, and 2 Rough Seas. They're not as crucial, but you will really enjoy their presence.

So, that said, here is my complete amateur attempt at a good Greninja budget deck, using mostly just two copies of Wave Slasher and a few other purchases. Cards marked with a (*) will have to be bought separately.

Pokemon (17)
1x Greninja BREAK (*) (If you can get 2 or 3, replace a Water Energy with one)
2x Greninja (The one you have, Breakpoint 40. This is the one you play BREAK on, so if you get more BREAK, you can just run 4 of this guy.)
2x Greninja (*) (Water Shuriken, XY 41)
4x Frogadier (The one you have, Breakpoint 39)
4x Froakie (The one you have, Breakpoint 38)
2x Lapras GX
2x Miltank (Flashfire 83, Powerful Friends)

Supporters (12)
2x Fisherman
2x Misty's Determination
2x Shauna
4x (*) Professor Sycamore
2x Wally (Useful note: Greninja BREAK counts for this!)

Items (16)
4x (*) Dive Ball
2x Fighting Fury Belt
2x Great Ball
4x Professor's Letter
4x (*) VS Seeker

Stadiums (2)
2x (*) Rough Seas

Energy (13)
9x Water Energy
4x Splash Energy

I tried to go for a combination of budget and easy to pilot. I don't know how old your son is, but I figured it'd be counter-productive to give him some absurd high-end deck. This should make a nice compromise, without being either too difficult to play, or a $100 pile of cardboard.
Just be aware that you cannot use this in a Standard tournament, because of some of the cards in it, such as Miltank (and soon to be VS Seeker.)

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Captain Fargle posted:

I just recently got into the game via TCGO and I'm absolutely hooked. Been having a hell of a blast running a loving obnoxious Mew-EX deck.

I wanted to ask though, when do new sets of cards typically get introduced? I was kind of expecting it to happen with the recent Standard rotation since that seemed like a logical point to me but nope.
You got the "new" set before the rotation, for Worlds. Sets come out about every three months.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Captain Fargle posted:

Burning Shadows Rhyperior is goddamn useless it's almost hilarious. 4 Energy, 4 Retreat Stage 2 card that can't hit Weakness and can only attack every other turn? Literally more useful as discard fodder for Ultra Ball so you can get something better on your bench.

Rhyperior isn''t used for its attack. It tends to be a build where you run it thick (4/4/4, 3/3/3, or thereabout) and subsequently use multiple devolution cards to re-use the coming-into-play Ability. For a still-terribly inconsistent example, though trying to see what they can do, see this Expanded deck video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVReYnBRlrM

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Star Man posted:

God I wish there was an MTGGoldfish or Channel Fireball equivalent for Pokémon. poo poo, even an MTGSalvation equivalent would be awesome.
I don't know what those are, but have you looked at OmniPoke?

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Captain Fargle posted:

EDIT: Also given this deck Brigette will probably serve you way better than Pokemon Fan Club.
Brigette would be worse, because he's using basic EX, not GX.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Cicero posted:

Ok, I read through this thread, I'm planning on buying some pokemon cards to play with my son who turns 6 soon, and I just want someone to yell at me if I'm doing something dumb/wrong. Said son likes Pokemon and plays tons of video games, so this seems like a solid choice for non-screen entertainment/way of tricking him into learning words and math. This'll probably just be me and him playing together (and maybe wife).

So what I'm thinking is buying us two of the Sun & Moon trainer kits as a base and starting him on that, and then later if he's still interested adding boosters/expansions like this elite trainer kit or these theme decks. I'll probably also play the online game before unveiling the physical cards to him so that I know how the rules work. Is this a sound strategy?

edit: oh I should probably add, we're American but living in Germany, and I'm going to NYC right after his birthday which is when I plan to buy the cards (since they'll be cheaper in the states and, y'know, in English), so I have to buy everything for the foreseeable future in one shot.
Sounds good. There's a thread on the Pokegym forums (which have official rulings on card interactions) called I Double Theme Decks, which gives a way to take cards from two copies of a deck to make it more consistency. Sporadic update schedule on it, though. Hidden Moon's pretty good, in my opinion, if you can throw a Lunala GX or two in a double version.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

PMush Perfect posted:

Competitive viability is a complete waste of money if one of the players is literally 6 years old. Maybe in a few years if he wants to go play with people in a store, but for right now, the double decks is mostly about slimming down to just the Pokemon he likes.
I would jokingly argue the side that if you're going to go in, that you go in with the best equipment and win with proper strategies, but apparently someone in all seriousness already made an article about that.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

X_ThePerfect posted:

I haven’t played in a while, but I was wondering. Is there any kind of workable deck with the sun and moon eevee?

I’m a big fan of eeveelutions but with only three available it doesn’t seem that great.

Edit: three in standard anyway.

Espeon GX can pull its weight well, enacting Confusion with 30 damage for a single Energy... or at least could, until everyone and their grandma started running Guzma, which clears the Special Condition. Divide GX still pairs nicely with spread-damage decks (Tapu Koko, etc.) and Espeon EX to devolve Pokemon into having too few HP to avoid being Knocked Out.

If you want to get obscure, there is an Umbreon promo still legal in Standard.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Star Man posted:

I have three copies of Tapu Lele GX now and I have no idea what deck I want to make with them. How much longer until I break down and hand over the money for one of the subscription-based websites?
I'd say don't.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

PMush Perfect posted:

A second Town Map is never a good idea unless you very specifically need all four of something (Durant mill being the first example I can think of, and even then, they usually just trade out prizes)
I'd almost even argue for Gladion in place of Town Map, because you need the Durant out of the prizes, not to know which prize to take if you manage a single KO.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

No Lusamine / Pal Pad to reuse Handiwork?

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Matsuri posted:

Also, there is NOTHING more satisfying than popping a Karen against a full Night March discard pile... and using VS Seeker to do it again.

Using Oricorio's Revelation Dance to punish them further?

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

How budget are we talking? Like, 4 Guzzlord GX, 56 Darkness Energy, or do we have more room to play with?

Lorak fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Feb 20, 2018

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Captain Fargle posted:

I loving hate, hate, HATE the goddamn Guzzlord GX deck.
Why?

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Captain Fargle posted:

Because if you're not running a Fighting deck that comes online super fast you're dead. It's bullshit to have to play against, like Night March.

EDIT: It feels like not banning Mewtwo in Gen 1.
There are plenty of other options. Like Hoopa, Alolan Ninetales... All the mulligans between when they start and when they actually get a Guzzlord-GX...

EDIT: What deck or decks specifically are you playing that is having trouble with Guzzlord-GX?

Lorak fucked around with this message at 12:20 on May 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Captain Fargle posted:

Everything that isn't Crabominable.
Beedrill rush will definitely have some issues in this match-up, but your heavy Nest Ball counts should be able to bring out the best against Guzzlord-GX.

That said, if you'd like to be more specific than a near-infinite number of decks excluding an smaller subgroup of decks that use Crabominable, I'd be glad to provide some more custom-tailored advice. After all, many decks run Tapu Lele GX, Double Colorless Energy, and Choice Band... Oranguru ,DCE and Max Elixir... lots of combos in a pinch.

Lorak fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 8, 2018

• Locked thread