Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Oh, hey, new thread. Neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

rlloyd3 posted:

Awesome, thanks. I actually went out and bought the two decks from the newest expansion (Electric Eye and Wave Slasher) for me and my wife to play around with, just haven't gotten around to entering the codes yet.
As a general rule, if you get two of a theme deck, and mash together the best cards from it, you usually get one pretty decently playable deck for online stuff. The weakness of the precon decks is that they dabble in too many Pokemon lines, instead of just playing a bunch of a few good ones. They also tend to not have 4 of the best Trainers, either.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Pokemon is a real motherfucker of a change from Magic because card draw is so much more prevalent. The Pokemon version of Ancestral Recall is actually underpowered.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Jorath posted:

Competitive MTG players here, just read through the thread, as my 7 year old son has started playing the paper game.

Is there a thread for the physical card game? I'm trying to figure out what the best way to buy cards is for ultra-casual play.
If you want a deck that feels a little better/more consistent/more fun to play, but two copies of the same starter deck, and build one decent deck from the two. Pokemon starter decks almost unilaterally have a problem that just about everything in them is a 1-of or 2-of, in a 60-card deck with a 4-of maximum. I think you can see what the problem is.

Edit Fair warning, card-draw is super ubiquitous in Pokemon, so deck building is really different than MtG. A decent rule of thumb, about half your deck should probably be trainers, the other 30 split fairly evenly between Pokemon and Energy.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Couldn't remember my old info, so I guess I'm starting from square one.

Oops. Which of the current theme decks are worth getting?

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Dec 3, 2016

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Waffles Inc. posted:

Is it a "known" bug or weirdness in the AI that I can sometimes sweep an entire team with a Zubat attacking benched pokemon? Like, the AI will lead with something that could get enough energy to OHKO it and then just let me sit there and swing away. Is there something in its AI that it sees using a non-attack support ability as a higher priority than KOing a basic pokemon whose attack doesn't deal direct damage?
This game is basically the real sequel to the Pokemon TCG gameboy game, shoddy AI included.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I'm looking for some help tweaking a deck? I don't know sets very well, so this is my best way I know to describe them.

Water You Waiting For (Extended)
Pokemon (13)
3 Articuno Plus
2 Bubble Froakie
1 Clone Frogadier
2 Lick Frogadier
1 Shuriken Greninja
2 Moonlight Greninja
2 Errands Lapras

Trainers (37)
4 Acro Bike
4 Dive Ball
2 Great Ball
4 Professor's Letter
1 VS Seeker
2 Fisherman
3 Giovanni's Scheme
2 Pokemon Fan Club
3 Wally
2 Rough Seas
2 Healing Scarf
2 Muscle Band
2 Rocky Helmet

Energy (10)
8 Water Energy
2 Splash Energy

Water Shuriken is crazy good, so I know I want more of that Greninja. I'm guessing I should lean into clone-Frogadier + Wally/Dive Ball/whatever to rush them? Lapras is a great opening wall so far (Errands is crazy good), I'd love to get more than 2 but I'm not sure how to make room for more.

Low Froakie count is entirely to try and prevent one-Froakie opening hands.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Can you bullshit me an ideal deck list? Can I keep at least one or two Articuno Plus? I love that card fit finishing off shuriken weakened EXs.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I've gotten a few other EXs from packs and stuff but IDK if I can trade any of them? Gotten them all from Trainer challenge. What kinds of packs should I be trying to open? Just Steam Siege?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Doesn't the Greninja deck (the G/W one) have the other kind of Greninja? Or did I buy the wrong theme deck. :downs:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Lorak posted:

To the right person, in the right condition, it would be worth more than your average cards. My suggestion is checking TCGPlayer as a point of reference, to see for what prices competing vendors are selling older cards, in ≥ Very Good condition.
As a general rule of thumb, there are a few ways to have old Pokemon cards be valuable.

1. Nostalgia in presentation: A binder that's got a full Red/Blue Pokedex, another with the full Gold/Silver, etc, etc
2. Cards that were valuable back in the day that a collector wants. For example, the Ancient Mew movie promo card is worth about $10 these days, while a Charizard can go for almost $100.
3. Be one of those lucky fuckers with a mint-condition 1st Edition Charizard, which can easily sell for two grand.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

PJOmega posted:

I'm helping my friend's kids build decks and what's a good amount of basic/evolutions/energy as a baseline? I'm guessing 10/8/15 as a general guideline, but I haven't played in forever.
Sounds about right. You want about half the deck to be Trainers, probably a little more.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

PJOmega posted:

Looked it up cuz my eyes kinda bugged out at that.

20 damage per ITEM. Still a huge hit obviously for a single energy investment.
Not something they really have to worry about if they only play each other, though.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

wisdomHNOX posted:

Greninja is good again. Greninja Break has shot up in value and will likely continue to increase.
What changed?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Yeah, pack codes are dirt cheap and a great way to get into PTCGO.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Yeah, conventional wisdom is to buy two copies of whatever theme deck you want to use, and then smash them together into one far-more-consistent deck.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Greninja is a stupidly fun deck. Not top-tier any more because of meta shifts, but still a goddamn blast to play.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Step 1 is probably to buy another copy of the theme deck, or just some other way to get a bunch of good supporters. The starter decks always have way too many Pokemon and too few trainers. Good news is that Wave Slasher has the good Froakie, the good Frogadier and a decent spread of trainers, so you don't have to change that much.

Next, you want to get your hands on, at least, a couple copies of the XY Greninja. They're cheaper now that Greninja Break makes them kinda obsolete ($1 each or so), but that's good for a budget deck. If you feel like dropping some dosh, getting 2-3 Greninja Break makes the Greninja you've got more appealing again. You want at least 1 Greninja BREAK, it will do a lot of work, but at almost $10 a pop, it feels unreasonable to ask you to get more than 1. (Plus, there's something inherently fun about playing Your Best Card.)

The biggest hotness to play with the deck is Steam Siege Talonflame, who is super sexy in the opening hand, but a complete dead draw otherwise, and it can be very counterintuitive for a younger player. On a more budget run, I have a lot of praise to be said for Flashfire "Powerful Friends" Miltank. It's been printed in like a billion different theme decks, and has a lot of bang for your buck once you get a Greninja on the field. I also like the possibility of a couple Lapras GX. They're not the BEST card in the world, but starting with one as your active can buy you a lot of time to build your field up. (I may get some grief for these suggestions, IDK.)

4 Dive Balls and 4 VS Seekers are essentially mandatory. They're that good. I'd also try to get 4 Splash Energies, 4x Professor Sycamore, 2 Fisherman, and 2 Rough Seas. They're not as crucial, but you will really enjoy their presence.

So, that said, here is my complete amateur attempt at a good Greninja budget deck, using mostly just two copies of Wave Slasher and a few other purchases. Cards marked with a (*) will have to be bought separately.

Pokemon (17)
1x Greninja BREAK (*) (If you can get 2 or 3, replace a Water Energy with one)
2x Greninja (The one you have, Breakpoint 40. This is the one you play BREAK on, so if you get more BREAK, you can just run 4 of this guy.)
2x Greninja (*) (Water Shuriken, XY 41)
4x Frogadier (The one you have, Breakpoint 39)
4x Froakie (The one you have, Breakpoint 38)
2x Lapras GX
2x Miltank (Flashfire 83, Powerful Friends)

Supporters (12)
2x Fisherman
2x Misty's Determination
2x Shauna
4x (*) Professor Sycamore
2x Wally (Useful note: Greninja BREAK counts for this!)

Items (16)
4x (*) Dive Ball
2x Fighting Fury Belt
2x Great Ball
4x Professor's Letter
4x (*) VS Seeker

Stadiums (2)
2x (*) Rough Seas

Energy (13)
9x Water Energy
4x Splash Energy

I tried to go for a combination of budget and easy to pilot. I don't know how old your son is, but I figured it'd be counter-productive to give him some absurd high-end deck. This should make a nice compromise, without being either too difficult to play, or a $100 pile of cardboard.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Aug 19, 2017

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I forgot Miltank and Seeker left! That's my bad. I'm gonna miss Seeker. What would y'all suggest as replacements?

Rhaegar posted:

Awesome! Thanks. Can you redeem the TCGO code to get two copies of the same theme deck by the way?
As in with a second code for a second deck? Yeah.

Edit Trainers' Mail makes a decent replacement for VS Seeker. Regular Breakpoint Lapras might work for replacing Miltank? Not sure.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Aug 19, 2017

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Elblanco posted:

Isn't trainer's mail leaving too?
Is it? loving Christ, where are all the good items going. I AM NOT PREPARED FOR THIS ROTATION.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Hence, mill not being very good right now. The days of Durant are long gone.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Captain Fargle posted:

Hooray for Extended!
Durant was right when I got back in for the first time and it was budget and it was beautiful.

Edit Really simple and clean build, too.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

There just needs to be some kind of centralized source for information.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Star Man posted:

Holy poo poo. The place I play at decided to settle with Expanded as the tournament format because there's a lot of old sealed product still available and it's just easier to deal with the bigger card pool to keep from scaring any kids off (now if only we had a Modern scene for Magic). I was looking at deck lists and saw that Computer Search sells for a poo poo load of money and that a Base Set 1 or 2 edition is not legal for play.

What a bunch of loving horse poo poo.
Nostalgia's a hell of a drug.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Are there any sites left for making and posting decklists? I'm theorycrafting something and I wanna lay it out and look at it properly, like I would with TappedOut or whatever.

Edit Wait, I'm an idiot, I can just uncheck "show only cards I own".

Edit2 I had an idea to use Alolan Ninetails because of some worries about Tapu Lele. Also, because it's pretty. And then I threw in Garchomp because I love it. Tell me how this sucks:

##Pokémon - 10

* 3 Garchomp-EX PR-XY XY167
* 3 Alolan Vulpix GRI 21
* 2 Alolan Ninetales BUS 28
* 2 Alolan Ninetales-GX GRI 22

##Trainer Cards - 36

* 3 Acerola
* 3 Big Malasada
* 3 Guzma
* 3 Lana
* 2 Pokémon Fan Club
* 4 Professor Sycamore
* 3 Energy Retrieval
* 4 Professor's Letter
* 3 Mallow
* 3 Skyla
* 3 Hard Charm
* 2 Delinquent

##Energy - 14

* 5 Fighting Energy
* 2 Rainbow Energy
* 2 Double Colorless Energy
* 5 Water Energy

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Oct 1, 2017

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Captain Fargle posted:

Get rid of an Acerola, a Lana, a Big Malasada, 2 Hard Charms an Energy Retrieval and a Delinquent. Replace with a combo of Vs. Seekers, Choice Band/Muscle Band/Fighting Fury Belt, Pokemon Center Lady, Special Charge, Wally and N.

EDIT: Also given this deck Brigette will probably serve you way better than Pokemon Fan Club.
Care to explain the suggestions? (Definitely doing VS Seeker, though, forgot that was still legal.)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Elblanco posted:

If you're going for standard, vs seeker isn't legal anymore.
Okay, that's what I thought!

Edit Did some changing because why not.

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 10

* 3 Garchomp-EX PR-XY XY167
* 3 Alolan Vulpix GRI 21
* 2 Alolan Ninetales BUS 28
* 2 Alolan Ninetales-GX GRI 22

##Trainer Cards - 36

* 4 Professor's Letter
* 2 Wally
* 2 Acerola
* 2 Lana
* 4 Professor Sycamore
* 1 Bent Spoon
* 2 Pokémon Fan Club
* 4 Random Receiver
* 1 Pokémon Center Lady
* 1 Special Charge
* 3 Skyla
* 3 Guzma
* 1 Big Malasada
* 1 Choice Band
* 2 Muscle Band
* 1 Assault Vest
* 2 Energy Retrieval

##Energy - 14

* 2 Double Colorless Energy
* 5 Water Energy
* 2 Rainbow Energy
* 5 Fighting Energy

The plan is either to open up right away with Garchomp (30-damage 1 energy with some beef, plus Hyper Beam as a bit of a late-game thing), and/or have Vulpix Beacon up whichever Ninetails suits the deck I'm facing. The deck is kind of lacking in Serious Damage (aside from the hilarious Ice Path GX), hence the emphasis on Muscle Band/Choice Band.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Oct 1, 2017

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Captain Fargle posted:

Wait. Is Garchomp EX Standard legal? I thought it was a promo for first set XY?

All my suggested revisions were assuming you're playing Expanded because of that.
It's Black Star XY167, and from 69(?) and up are legal for the 2018 season, IIRC.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Competitive viability is a complete waste of money if one of the players is literally 6 years old. Maybe in a few years if he wants to go play with people in a store, but for right now, the double decks is mostly about slimming down to just the Pokemon he likes.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

PJOmega posted:

My nephew isn't the sharpest tool in the shed.
Starter decks is probably fine, then.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I've been toying with the deck more, dropped the lovely Garchomp, and this is the version I'm actually running on PTCGO, so far.

##Pokémon - 9

* 1 Tauros-GX
* 2 Alolan Vulpix BUS-27
* 1 Alolan Vulpix GRI-21
* 2 Alolan Ninetales
* 1 Alolan Ninetales-GX
* 1 Lapras
* 1 Manaphy-EX

##Trainer Cards - 40

* 1 Aqua Patch
* 2 Max Elixir
* 1 Brooklet Hill
* 1 Evosoda
* 1 Weakness Policy
* 4 Professor's Letter
* 2 Rescue Stretcher
* 3 Wally
* 1 Lana
* 2 Wishful Baton
* 4 Professor Sycamore
* 2 Nest Ball
* 2 Skyla
* 1 Field Blower
* 1 Guzma
* 2 Fighting Fury Belt
* 2 Misty's Determination
* 2 Judge
* 1 Town Map
* 1 Big Malasada
* 2 Professor Kukui
* 2 Energy Retrieval

##Energy - 11

* 4 Double Colorless Energy
* 7 Water Energy

Still lacking some things (I'd kill for a Lapras-GX and more GRI Vulpix), but decent for the most part. Another Guzma would be nice, too. Wishful Baton is great on Ninetails to keep momentum after she drops, Fighting Fury Belt is mostly for Tauros and Manaphy, Tauros especially loves the extra HP.

I miss Dive Balls. :saddowns:

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 15, 2017

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Captain Fargle posted:

I've faced off against a lot of decks extremely similar to this. It's solid.

Ramos posted:

Yo, thanks for posting this list. I just recently got into this game and this list is doing work, it's a lot of fun making the jump from theme decks to actual standard decks.
:swoon:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Captain Fargle posted:

Rock Guard is a loving bullshit card.
Tool Removal is useful now, but it used to be almost mandatory once upon a time, didn't it? I feel like poo poo like Rock Guard is probably why.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

How's Lugia working for you? I considered it, but it didn't seem worth it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I'd definitely consider Oranguru over a just-because Lugia.

Edit: For one thing, an Oranguru on your bench is actually useful.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Oct 20, 2017

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I mean, if it got a Japanese reprint, then I'd hope it's gonna get one here, though the "no other-language cards" rule does gently caress with that a bit and is stupid as hell.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Alternatively, if you have more money than patience, you can buy pack codes online for like $0.75 each. Drop $10 on codes in a good pack, and you should be able to pull at least a couple nice bargaining chips to trade for what you need.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Lorak posted:

If you want to get obscure, there is an Umbreon promo still legal in Standard.
Wow, that is a mediocre promo.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Captain Fargle posted:

I love Burning Shadows Crabominable so, so very much.
What kind of list are you running? Seems like a neat Pokemon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Should be simple enough, it's designed to be understood by literal children. The client has a pretty decent tutorial as well, iirc.

• Locked thread