Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

I just recently got into the game via TCGO and I'm absolutely hooked. Been having a hell of a blast running a loving obnoxious Mew-EX deck.

I wanted to ask though, when do new sets of cards typically get introduced? I was kind of expecting it to happen with the recent Standard rotation since that seemed like a logical point to me but nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Lorak posted:

You got the "new" set before the rotation, for Worlds. Sets come out about every three months.

Ahh I see. New cards come in a lot more frequently than I realised then. I thought it was like an annual thing.

Do you guys have any advice on making an effective mill deck? I threw this deck together earlier since I wanted to use the Noble Victories Conkeldurr but it's more of a "Slap them around and the milling is incidental" thing. Is milling even viable?

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 15

* 1 Riolu BUS 70
* 1 Lucario BUS 71
* 2 Rockruff GRI 73
* 1 Lycanroc-GX GRI 74
* 1 Lycanroc-GX PR-SM SM14
* 2 Solrock BUS 69
* 1 Sudowoodo BKP 67
* 2 Timburr BLW 59
* 2 Gurdurr NVI 63
* 2 Conkeldurr NVI 64

##Trainer Cards - 30

* 2 Evosoda GEN 62
* 3 Wally ROS 94
* 4 Potion SUM 127
* 1 Choice Band GRI 121
* 2 Professor's Letter BKT 146
* 2 Acerola BUS 112
* 1 Wishful Baton BUS 128
* 1 Pokémon Fan Club FLF 94
* 2 Energy Retrieval PRC 126
* 1 Nest Ball SUM 158
* 1 Healing Scarf ROS 84
* 4 Pokémon Center Lady FLF 93
* 1 N FCO 105
* 2 Big Malasada SUM 114
* 1 VS Seeker PHF 109
* 2 Professor Kukui SUM 128

##Energy - 15

* 15 Fighting Energy Energy 6

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online https://www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Zodack posted:

Milling is not very viable, though some other big mill cards right now are Burning Shadows Rhyperior, there's a Houndoom EX that can mill (which means the fighting type Marshadoe GX can copy that attack and mill), and also the big boy Charizard GX for his GX attack. None are really ideal, but you can definitely build a fun disruption + mill deck around those.

Burning Shadows Rhyperior is goddamn useless it's almost hilarious. 4 Energy, 4 Retreat Stage 2 card that can't hit Weakness and can only attack every other turn? Literally more useful as discard fodder for Ultra Ball so you can get something better on your bench.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

Hence, mill not being very good right now. The days of Durant are long gone.

Hooray for Extended!

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Lorak posted:

Rhyperior isn''t used for its attack. It tends to be a build where you run it thick (4/4/4, 3/3/3, or thereabout) and subsequently use multiple devolution cards to re-use the coming-into-play Ability. For a still-terribly inconsistent example, though trying to see what they can do, see this Expanded deck video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVReYnBRlrM

Oooh. Neat! I had no idea that Porygon-Z card was even a thing.

EDIT: Holy gently caress that deck is obnoxious. It's amazing.

Captain Fargle fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Sep 28, 2017

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

So I went to just get a couple things and it turns out Tesco was having a clearance and I came out with a bunch of Pokemon cards. Going to try and make a a Kingdra EX - Magnezone deck and see what I can do with that.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Star Man posted:

I'm used to outrageous card prices thanks to Magic and DBZ. They're dumb, but I get it. But now allowing old editions of Computer Search just because they added ACE SPEC to it is a whole 'nother level of dumb.

You mean because the rules changed and old editions of Computer Search aren't properly categorised as an Item Card?

Not trying to be flippant. Just trying to understand the terminology.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

I'm just surprised any cards at all from the original sets are legal. I thought Expanded only went back to Black and White? That's how it works in PTCGO.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

Are there any sites left for making and posting decklists? I'm theorycrafting something and I wanna lay it out and look at it properly, like I would with TappedOut or whatever.

Edit Wait, I'm an idiot, I can just uncheck "show only cards I own".

Edit2 I had an idea to use Alolan Ninetails because of some worries about Tapu Lele. Also, because it's pretty. And then I threw in Garchomp because I love it. Tell me how this sucks:

##Pokémon - 10

* 3 Garchomp-EX PR-XY XY167
* 3 Alolan Vulpix GRI 21
* 2 Alolan Ninetales BUS 28
* 2 Alolan Ninetales-GX GRI 22

##Trainer Cards - 36

* 3 Acerola
* 3 Big Malasada
* 3 Guzma
* 3 Lana
* 2 Pokémon Fan Club
* 4 Professor Sycamore
* 3 Energy Retrieval
* 4 Professor's Letter
* 3 Mallow
* 3 Skyla
* 3 Hard Charm
* 2 Delinquent

##Energy - 14

* 5 Fighting Energy
* 2 Rainbow Energy
* 2 Double Colorless Energy
* 5 Water Energy

Get rid of an Acerola, a Lana, a Big Malasada, 2 Hard Charms an Energy Retrieval and a Delinquent. Replace with a combo of Vs. Seekers, Choice Band/Muscle Band/Fighting Fury Belt, Pokemon Center Lady, Special Charge, Wally and N.

EDIT: Also given this deck Brigette will probably serve you way better than Pokemon Fan Club.

Captain Fargle fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Oct 1, 2017

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Wait. Is Garchomp EX Standard legal? I thought it was a promo for first set XY?

All my suggested revisions were assuming you're playing Expanded because of that.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

When should we expect TCGO to get updated with Shining Legends now that the set has been released in English?

Cicero posted:

Ok, I read through this thread, I'm planning on buying some pokemon cards to play with my son who turns 6 soon, and I just want someone to yell at me if I'm doing something dumb/wrong. Said son likes Pokemon and plays tons of video games, so this seems like a solid choice for non-screen entertainment/way of tricking him into learning words and math. This'll probably just be me and him playing together (and maybe wife).

So what I'm thinking is buying us two of the Sun & Moon trainer kits as a base and starting him on that, and then later if he's still interested adding boosters/expansions like this elite trainer kit or these theme decks. I'll probably also play the online game before unveiling the physical cards to him so that I know how the rules work. Is this a sound strategy?

edit: oh I should probably add, we're American but living in Germany, and I'm going to NYC right after his birthday which is when I plan to buy the cards (since they'll be cheaper in the states and, y'know, in English), so I have to buy everything for the foreseeable future in one shot.

This seems like a sensible enough plan to me.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

You know what I loving love about the TCG?

Crabominable is actually good.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

I've been toying with the deck more, dropped the lovely Garchomp, and this is the version I'm actually running on PTCGO, so far.

##Pokémon - 9

* 1 Tauros-GX
* 2 Alolan Vulpix BUS-27
* 1 Alolan Vulpix GRI-21
* 2 Alolan Ninetales
* 1 Alolan Ninetales-GX
* 1 Lapras
* 1 Manaphy-EX

##Trainer Cards - 40

* 1 Aqua Patch
* 2 Max Elixir
* 1 Brooklet Hill
* 1 Evosoda
* 1 Weakness Policy
* 4 Professor's Letter
* 2 Rescue Stretcher
* 3 Wally
* 1 Lana
* 2 Wishful Baton
* 4 Professor Sycamore
* 2 Nest Ball
* 2 Skyla
* 1 Field Blower
* 1 Guzma
* 2 Fighting Fury Belt
* 2 Misty's Determination
* 2 Judge
* 1 Town Map
* 1 Big Malasada
* 2 Professor Kukui
* 2 Energy Retrieval

##Energy - 11

* 4 Double Colorless Energy
* 7 Water Energy

Still lacking some things (I'd kill for a Lapras-GX and more GRI Vulpix), but decent for the most part. Another Guzma would be nice, too. Wishful Baton is great on Ninetails to keep momentum after she drops, Fighting Fury Belt is mostly for Tauros and Manaphy, Tauros especially loves the extra HP.

I miss Dive Balls. :saddowns:

I've faced off against a lot of decks extremely similar to this. It's solid.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Rock Guard is a loving bullshit card.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

I love Burning Shadows Crabominable so, so very much.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

What kind of list are you running? Seems like a neat Pokemon.

4,4 Crabrawler, Crabominable, 4 Strong Energy, a bunch of Muscle Bands, Wally and healing cards is the gist of it. Turn 1 Wally is hilariously brutal.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Matsuri posted:

Finally managed to grind up 500 tokens. Should I just dive in and buy a theme deck, and I'm assuming one of the three you mentioned was the best to go? (Would probably get Hidden Moon just because it has types and cards I like). (Though I really like Alolan Ninetales too and it's on the cover of another...)

My current favourite is the Kommo-o deck from Crimson Invasion. It's a real blast to play when you get it going.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Matsuri posted:

ah gotcha

I guess duplicate foils in the same pack is cool, haha

That's not a duplicate. One is foil and one is reverse foil.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Matsuri posted:

I ended up just blowing my tokens on packs. Trying to get a Tapu Lele like all the cool kids in the Standard arena have. (I can see why, they're so bullshit.)

I made myself a standard deck of simple good stuff (Bewear, Garbodor, Sylveon GX, etc) and just decimated an opponent who decided to just use all -EX Pokemon. That was pretty cool. Bewear with a Choice Band is just stupid against those dudes.

If you think Tapu Lele GX is bullshit you should look up regular Tapu Lele! That thing is very much banned from play.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

SM45 Lele?

That's the only other one I can find.

That's the one!

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Matsuri posted:

ok ouch wow playing at night is way harsher than playing during the day. I'm on like, a 5-game losing streak to people who do nothing but jam EX and GX Pokemon into their deck. It's... kinda boring to see the same thing over and over, honestly.

Alolan Ninetales woo!

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Star Man posted:

Are users able to trade digital packs?

Yes. Very much so. It's the standard unit of currency for a lot of rarer cards on the trade market.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Matsuri posted:

Hmmm.

So say I want to build an anti-meta deck for standard. I assume I'd load it up with Alolan Ninetales, maybe Regice, Glaceon-EX... and what else?

I don't really play Standard enough to offer much advice I'm afraid. If you're going with a Water deck though there's a bunch of Lapras cards that are good at helping you set up.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

You know what's crazy good? That new Alolan Sandslash. 0 energy for a 30 damage attack that does 60 more if you take a hit next turn.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Is there a recommended place to shop if I wanted to bulk buy a bunch of codes? I'd really like one of those new Prism Star Diancies for my Crabominable deck.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

I loving hate, hate, HATE the goddamn Guzzlord GX deck.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Because if you're not running a Fighting deck that comes online super fast you're dead. It's bullshit to have to play against, like Night March.

EDIT: It feels like not banning Mewtwo in Gen 1.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Lorak posted:

There are plenty of other options. Like Hoopa, Alolan Ninetales... All the mulligans between when they start and when they actually get a Guzzlord-GX...

EDIT: What deck or decks specifically are you playing that is having trouble with Guzzlord-GX?

Everything that isn't Crabominable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Lorak posted:

Beedrill rush will definitely have some issues in this match-up, but your heavy Nest Ball counts should be able to bring out the best against Guzzlord-GX.

That said, if you'd like to be more specific than a near-infinite number of decks excluding an smaller subgroup of decks that use Crabominable, I'd be glad to provide some more custom-tailored advice. After all, many decks run Tapu Lele GX, Double Colorless Energy, and Choice Band... Oranguru ,DCE and Max Elixir... lots of combos in a pinch.

I don't have any Leles but I hadn't thought of Oranguru. It can fit into just about every deck as well so I might start just throwing them around even when I'm not running the sort of deck that normally uses it's Ability.

• Locked thread