Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Urgot is pretty good in the jungle now, and Zilean works too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Luna Was Here posted:

please do not post these like they are real Good Builds otherwise we're going to get a Chumbler 2.0

I have done jungle Zilean to great effect!!! Except that one game where I forgot to set my masteries. That was painful. I trained for it by taking smite on Zilean mid, and I was ready for the transition.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

foutre posted:

NRG just beat TSM 19-0 with a Seraphs/RoA/Banner Zilean mid, I think that it's a safe bet you'll see at least a few more Zileans in solo queue.

Yeah, but will they be running smite? I am the trendsetter.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Xoidanor posted:

No seriously, I stopped because it clearly made no difference.

Let's just be clear here: I agree with you. In bronze and silver, people do not pay attention to the mini map. You could remove the fog of war completely and people will still get ambushed. However, consider that the wards are not for your team, but for yourself. Don't you want to get out of silver? Suddenly you are in a self fulfilling situation where my blanket statement is true because there is no point at looking at the mini map; there's no vision, after all. It's you. You're the silver player not paying attention to the mini map.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

ImpAtom posted:

I've not been very impressed with Udyr lately but I play Zilean a lot and there isn't much Udyr can do against slow except weep pitifully as my Carry walks away.

Swiftness + Zz'rot takes care of that, but I sometimes run exactly that on Zilean too, so vOv

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Luckily you guys are part of the Something Awful forums and thus silversquid on NA, where pro advice is given. I will have all of you jungling Urgot perfectly in no time.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Azzents posted:

I really want Jhin to be good since I like his theme and his skill set, but I don't think he'll really compete with the other meta ADCs unless he gets a buff to his numbers or his reload time.

And as for Jhin mid, there are far too many mobile burst champs that would eat him up for breakfast.

Jungle him.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Tired Moritz posted:

How do you Morgana jungle?

Soil, Binding -> Gank or Soil, Binding, Soil -> Gank, or Soil, Binding, Soil, Shield -> Gank, etc. I like to max out tormented soil first, but her ganks are really good with max binding and speedy shoes + zzrot.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

pkollar posted:

Super-agreed re: Galio needing to go ranged. I'm usually stuck using his Q and E to CS against a ranged lane opponent, which is lovely for the first 5-10 min when he has so little mana / mana regen.

Run teleport, buy chalice the second you get the money for it. Problem solved.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Kashuno posted:

I feel like at bronze wards are even more useful though. Jungle pathing, lane match ups,lane freezing, objective timers and towers, literally anything that isn't "HERE IS A WARD SEE THE ENEMY CHAMPION?" In bronze is almost useless.

At that elo it's not about how to react, it's just literally giving them an indicator on their map so they see it.they probably won't properly back off or push where they should, but at least they'll see it.

The thing is, they don't see it. Even if you removed the fog of war completely for them, they wouldn't bother looking at it. You are vastly overestimating the ability of true bronze players.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Azzents posted:

Do you remember what those stats said? I seem to get people who are much more chilled, and much more wins during mid morning compared to evenings, and I'm wondering if there's some weight behind that or if it's just confirmation bias.

Kids are in school. It's my experience too.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Kashuno posted:

they will be afraid of my jungle urgot now!!!

Jungle Urgot is good and has a super safe clear thanks to his shield and the way talisman works.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Primetime posted:

I genuinely hope this isn't trolling. I need a new off-meta jungler after rumble became meta-ish

Hunter's Talisman drains 5 hp per second for 5 seconds from everyone damaged by you. Urgot's E is an AoE that lasts 5 seconds. Q will also apply the 5 bonus damage from Savagery. The problem of course is his gank is basically just walk up to a guy and landing E before level 6.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Primetime posted:

Hey if the level 6 rush works for Warwick it can work for the 'got. Only problem is without tear you'll go oom after 3 q's outside the jungle, but that's the way it goes

I never take blue as Smite Zilean, so my teammate should just Deal With It.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
That kit basically screams jungler to me. Between him and Urgot, I should be set for my jungling.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Tired Moritz posted:

Is scaling cooldowns runes ever worth it

I actually run enough to get 30% cdr on my Zilean mid rune page. You can get your other 10% from spooky ghosts and then pure ap/pen afterward. I've got better things to buy than cdr with my smite time mans.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
I wouldn't say they're awful, but they definitely lack consistency. Take the art from any five champions (sometimes even between the same champion's skins) and they could be from five different games. I rather liked the old PAX Sivir portrait, but the new one is pretty nice too.

EDIT: Can we all agree that the new Groovy Zilean and Commando Xin Zhao are awesome?

TastyLemonDrops fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Apr 5, 2016

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

That's about right. I'm playing an assassin after all...

Oh.

EDIT: 19 armor penetration rune page and fervor for masteries.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
You guys focusing on the Malz changes are not focusing on the right thing: Brand looks to do damage in ridiculously huge aoe now. You can click on the portraits to see a video of their new abilities.

EDIT: Although I look forward to jungle Malzahar even more.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Just played Taric once. He would be an amazing jungler.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Tales of Woe posted:

seems like he wouldn't clear the jungle fast enough to keep up, he's got even less damage on his kit than Shen or Leona who generally aren't played in jungle since they clear too slow.

He actually clears the jungle really quickly. His only problem in the jungle is mana constraints, so he basically HAS to start blue and get a leash.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
You definitely want mana or mana regen on jungle Taric. I'm doing some testing and with no leashing, hunter's machete, 9 armor, 21% attack speed, 10 armor pen, 0/18/12 cleared the entire jungle in 4:20. A good chunk of that time was just auto attacking at blue because you run out of mana with no leash. Ideally your heal will be leveled last, because it's the only spell that increases in mana cost with levels, and it gives you the biggest cooldown bonus. Your spell rotation will be Q, 2 autos, W or E, 2 autos, Q, 2 autos, the other of W or E, 2 autos, etc.

You can solo dragon at level 4, but it requires two uses of smite and is not particularly safe, once again because of mana constraints. You can solo dragon easily with minimal damage taken if you have blue, but that won't come around until about level 6-7, assuming you want to be greedy and take blue from your mid laner. That's a silly anyway, since once you hit 6, just tower dive the enemy bot lane and then pick up a free dragon.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

DolphinCop posted:

champions with any reliance on mana usage should be taking talisman, the health regen and dps is very slightly lower but the mana regen blows machete out of the water in terms of what you can do on your first few clears

Just tested this out and it's way unsafer than machete, and also a slower clear. Taric's quick jungle clear is because of his auto attacks, not his spells.

EDIT: Just to be clear, Taric only has mana issues on his first clear. Further clears are pretty good with mana because he'll have the jungle item upgrade, which does give the talisman regen.

EDIT2: And this was a leashless jungle, so if you get a leash, you should have 0 problems clearing under 4 minutes.

TastyLemonDrops fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Apr 20, 2016

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Mikujin posted:

Why are you taking the standard 10 ArPen for physical damage junglers on Taric? He is middle-of-the-pack in terms of base AD and growths, and has no physical damage scaling beyond that whatsoever. A CDR-centric jungle page might be better for him, given he'll likely want to itemize heavily in favor of tanky stats, where there's not a lot of opportunity to pick up CDR items (as opposed to the CDR he could pick up in a more traditional support package): 3 x flat glyph, 6 x scaling glyph, 3 x flat quint means you can start with 10-15% CDR (assuming you take the 5% CDR boost mastery) and get another 10% on the back end from leveling. This leaves you with 20% to pick up over the course of the game, 10% of which you can get through boots, leaving you with ample room to stock up on beef.

Alternatively, Attack Speed Reds, Scaling Armor Yellows, Scaling MR, and flat Armor Quints seem like another equally hardy and viable set-up. I just can't really see a reason to justify ArPen when there's much more suitable options.

I thought the same thing initially, but CDR is only more useful for Taric if you can't auto attack, which is not an issue in the jungle (so really, only for ganking and and the mid/late game. CDR also slightly lowers the values on his cooldown passive, though not really enough to make a difference. Two autos after a Q reduces all skill cooldowns by 12, followed by two autos after either W or E, which will reset Q, etc. Because of the fact that he attacks twice rapidly after a spellcast, Taric attacks a lot. His E is also basically an auto attack reset as it has no cast animation. He is a prime candidate for Triforce, though I think Iceborne Gauntlet is way better as it gives him some bit of stickiness to let him get repeated stuns off. Iceborne Gauntlet also happens to give armor and mana, two stats which he loves, in addition to 20% cdr (once again, eh) and an increased AoE based on his armor.

Taric basically has a permanent attack speed buff built into his kit; he just needs to cast spells to make use of it.

EDIT: I'd probably run chilly smite and IBG, though I'm unsure whether I'd run cinderhulk or runic echoes.

TastyLemonDrops fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Apr 20, 2016

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Mikujin posted:

I recognize the fact that the jungle is essentially a loot pinata and you just hit stuff until the gold falls out, but ArPen in the jungle still seems entirely middling. The reason physical (I can't stress this enough) junglers have often taken it is because two of the 5 big monsters have 10 armor (the remaining 3 have 15) and so ArPen provides those junglers with a nice boost in damage to those monsters as well as providing as very useful stat for them when fighting enemy champions. That being said, Taric's physical damage output is extremely middling. He's in the bottom 30% of AD bases and growths (because his passive provides bonus magic damage, no doubt) which means there's no real significant short or long term benefit to armor penetration. Given that you're doing a Machete start, it seems like just running more attack speed in those red slots would actually be a boon for his clear speed, rather than ArPen. It's just a flat-out bad rune choice when there's no ancillary benefit beyond basic attacks.

As for jungle items, Cinderhulk seems best given the ratio on heal. Devourer seems like a good comedy option given his passive. Runic Echoes seems an awful choice given that his kit has a single offensive scaling skill at a whopping 0.5 AP ratio.

Runic Echoes is more for the mana refund, which lets you pop into the jungle for a single hit after a team fight to give yourself enough mana to continue the push. The extra movespeed is useful for getting into position, and even though he has a single offensive skill, it can be cast fairly rapidly. Cinderhulk is probably the better choice though. Alternatively for mana, comedy option Manamune. Taric can quickly stack it, and then the armor pen does give him a bit more value. I'll run an attack speed build to test out and see the health/first clear time.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Runic Echoes is more for the mana refund, which lets you pop into the jungle for a single hit after a team fight to give yourself enough mana to continue the push. The extra movespeed is useful for getting into position, and even though he has a single offensive skill, it can be cast fairly rapidly. Cinderhulk is probably the better choice though. Alternatively for mana, comedy option Manamune. Taric can quickly stack it, and then the armor pen does give him a bit more value. I'll run an attack speed build to test out and see the health/first clear time.

4:12, so 8 seconds better than with armor pen. 0/18/12, with the armor/magic pen mastery instead of the 5% cdr one. This is a no leash run, so way better with a leash.

DolphinCop posted:

frozen heart is bad now but it's still better than frozen fist on taric and other defensive supports

But we are talking about the far superior jungle Taric???

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Mikujin posted:

Drop the Penetration mastery in favor of CDR, I doubt it will affect the clear much (if at all). I'm also curious about whether Machete's on hit is treated as physical or magic when Taric's passive is up (since Machete's bonus damage type flip-flops to match the damage type of whatever attack triggers it).

I got it down to 4:07 with a 35% attack speed, 9 armor page. I had the armor/magic pen mastery.

Now here's the funny thing. I tried out the exact same rune page but swapped to the 5% cooldown mastery. I could just barely kill blue without dying, and red killed me even with the smite HP restore.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Mikujin posted:

Are you doing Gromp -> Blue -> Red? Or just Blue -> Red?

E: Heck, thinking on it, Stone Bros start - especially with a leash - is probably going to be really, really good for Taric, since he can double-tap the buff every spell. You can probably do Stone Bros into triple-stun on red (via Dazzle) pretty easily to mitigate damage.

E2: Try a start a leash-less start at Golems with Dazzle first, so you can lead the camp with Smite Buff stun into Dazzle stun into Smite Buff stun, rinse and repeat on red (then blue).

Gromp -> Blue -> Wolves -> Raptors -> Red -> Krugs. I just did a test run with a 6.4 armor pen, 9 armor, 26% attack speed page with the armor/magic pen mastery and cleared in 4:09. Each autoattack did 76 damage; without the armor pen rune page, each autoattack did 70 damage. Trying out your Krug Dazzle start now.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Mikujin posted:

Gromp -> Blue -> Red is the traditional "hit 3 and gank" path. Unless that's changed, it seems kind of tedious to test full clears.

Dazzle Krugs are definitely super safe from testing, and a good alternative if you get invaded at blue. You'd need to head straight to blue or back though, since you're out of mana at that point.

Furthermore, a Gromp -> Blue -> Red "clear" is just over 3 minutes. Pretty good if you ask me!

TastyLemonDrops fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 20, 2016

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

rabidsquid posted:

Are they changing all of the other jungle camps to rotate and Dazzle Krugs are just one of the krug variants?

Yes. Whenever someone does Lux jungle, her spells make the Dazzle Krugs strike a pose.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Please advise on what combination of AD and MPen to use for Jungle Malzahar, tia.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Killed By Death posted:

Sounds good. One more thing, do I take TLD or Fervor with this build?

Um... You always take TLD. Why on earth would you ever not want TLDs?

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

rabidsquid posted:

Yeah the difference between blue or not is whether I am shoved under my tower or just endlessly flash clearing the wave and roaming. It's always nice to have blue on mids but I never notice it like I do on Zilean.

I always give my jungler blue whenever I play Zilean. I run smite and have a 85% win rate with him. Admittedly, it's not a large sample size, and I haven't played League in a while.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

I'm playing again, so if people want to see my amazing genius, come and queue up with me!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Smite/Fervor Zilean owns.

• Locked thread