Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Hey remember how Soraka used to give mana to her allies and it was the worst thing ever and everyone was glad she couldn't do it anymore?

Oh riot.

It looks like she's losing the self-heal on her Q in exchange which is interesting. I think I might rather have Soraka bonus health and mana if she hits a Q rather than the current version where she gets fat chunks of life back. Also that new Q doesn't benefit from hitting multiple champs, while old Q did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

K8.0 posted:

It's a pretty massive nerf since it's both much weaker and a HOT. I tend to think she'll be complete garbage if those changes go through.

Good

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Who posted:

Was wondering if anyone has tried this build yet, and if so, what are your thoughts on it.

With 8 stacks of rageblade and W up you have 5.00 attack speed, and one time I killed Lux while she was casting her ult from 100% to 0. The only downside is it's a bit slow to get going, but once you have rageblade + hurricane it really kicks in.

I don't know how good the Phantom Dancer is in that build, and BoRK feels really poo poo so it might be worth avoiding even on Kog.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

I think it's that 90% of games are strongly decided before 20 minutes, and Pantheon's problem has never been that his early game wasn't strong.

What ADCs are worthwhile right now? The ones I've gravitated towards currently are Ashe and Trist. Ashe because stuns and utility are good and you can play pretty far back, and Trist because I like the double safety of Rocket Jump and Buster Shot. It seems like bruisers and assassins are both monsters right now, and you need to either play something that somehow doesn't die to them or outputs such a huge amount of damage that it's worth it anyway.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Rengar is a stupid champion but not because his burst is too high or his gap closer is too log or because he has a root. It's because his ult gives him near perfect information about the situation he's about to jump into, and the detection options in the game right now are awful and designed around warding and not champions.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

KogMaw. I've been running Kog + Braum with a buddy and its filthy.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

I saw a spooky ghost got stuck on a minion. I didn't even know that was possible.

The pathing is pretty weird right now. If you ever accidentally drag lane creeps to a narrow part of the map, like the paths just past the T1 mid towers on either side, one or two creeps can easily seal off most or all of the pathable space. I don't remember what exactly it was they were trying to fix with the changes but it's not good now.

I'm enjoying ZZRot and Banner being relevant because it gives you a path to victory that isn't sitting in one lane and prodding each other until a teamfight breaks out. It might just be me but splitpushing felt kind of anemic, maybe because of the popularity of Teleport, auto-Homeguards at 20 minutes, and addition of the side exits from the base.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

hows this work? ekko btw

Maybe being super fast is more important than getting some more damage in your abilities. Having Swifties when everyone else has no boots would make you something like 15 to 20% faster, multiplicative with any other speed boost (like your passive).

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

pkollar posted:

I was made to understand that this is a good thread to discuss an important subject: why Galio is the loving raddest League of Legends champ.

I'll begin the discussion.

He is a gargoyle.

He's the winningest aram champion.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Sexpansion posted:

I think red buff is a huge "hidden power" mechanic. I mean, look at everything it does:

I mean, really? Does it have to do all that stuff?

I didn't know it had regen on it or that the slow varied if you're melee or ranged. Blue buff basically gives you infinite mana which usually means infinite wave clear, not exciting.

Jhin is really fun and does some interesting things, but I don't know if he's really good. Early on he has horrendous mobility, with a little CC in his trap and rooting shot, and a very minor (10%) speed boost on his fourth shot or successfully rooting someone. Later that flips because if you've got a high enough crit chance the speed boost ends up being on almost whenever he's fighting, and scales up to be something like 30% or more, so he's got perma-Ghost in combat. The pacing of his shots feels strange and diving in to reload at people makes you feel like an idiot. His trading is pretty nasty if he's allowed to whittle you down and have multiple short trades. If he's your primary damage dealer you might be hosed because he doesn't have the more robust defensive options others have and his objective taking is pretty slow. His itemization is a little weird too because of his static attack speed and oddball scaling, for example BoRK is kinda poo poo on him I think.

I'm not sure his slow tower crushing is as awful as its being played up to be, if your team wins a fight the towers will probably still go down reasonably quickly with whoever is still alive.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Has the ward debris ever helped anyone? I've never gotten any use out of it.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Maybe I'm just bad but it feels difficult to carry from the ADC position, because you tend to build just damage on ADCs and it's hard to carry a game with autoattack damage alone because you're still as easy to kill as ever and if 5 people are gunning for your rear end you're probably gonna die. This can change and burstier, dodgier, or tankier ADCs have a better time of things but you still lean on your team. Contrast with a bruiser getting ahead where you're basically immortal and kill nerds in like 3 seconds anyway. I'd rather have a fed bruiser than a fed ADC.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Darth Windu posted:

Games over 40 m are literally the worst no matter what I'm playing

Usually the good part of the game is the first 20 minutes, and the rest is what I have to play to get to the next game.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Coca Koala posted:

Isn't a big part of being ADC learning how to cancel your auto animation, allowing you to get more autos in?

Cancelling the backswing of autos lets you move more between attacks, and moving (to a good place) as ADC helps you stay alive and avoid getting sat on or blown up.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

What is it exactly that they changed that made things snowball so hard every game?

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

As Morg support I've been going FQC and Sightstone in whatever order is convenient, ZZRot, CDR Boots, and Banner. How stupid is this?

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

A Stupid Baby posted:

Alright so medium long story made medium long I got a hankering to try out noted 45% winrate hero Azir but the probuilds were all over the place and the mobafires were... mobafire. The one that felt the best was actually the losingest on probuilds by Overpow, which was basically just using fervor keystone and ASPD masteries (i do not think you actually need the ASPD masteries)

Since Azir is all magic damage its pretty easy to visually see the damage breakdown coming out of him, you will get an additional ~30% damage output of him per soldier on full stacks of fervor, depending on your level and how many AP items you have of course. That's an amazing amount of damage output for a single keystone IMO, and probably just not that good on Azir because from what I can tell (might not be true!!) since Azir in general has issues with Zed, Leblanc, Talon, Katarina in particular.

I tried it out in a couple Trundle games after trying to think of a melee top laner that would benefit most from fervor and it definitely seemed very good even tough I had to run it into less than ideal lanes for sustained autoing.

Anyway the TL:DR is I wonder if anyone has done a damage boost breakdown on Kogmouth with his first two items built with and without fervor because that mastery seems deceptively strong on champs that can actually get multiple 8 stack autos off pretty reliably.

It's definitely pretty weird that they're considering nerfing Kogmaw beyond where he was at before and I wonder if fervor keystone is the reason why.

KogMaw is good because Rageblade is a silly item, Fervor is good, and Hurricane is pretty good. Take current Kog and throw him into last season and he's maybe a bad hero. He's just the number one abuser of items and masteries that are actually really stupidly strong.

I still want to see a Kog build that has something like Muramana, ER, Hurricane, (other stuff). Muramana damage at double attack speed would be some horrifying physical damage. The problem is not losing the game while you stack Muramana. You'd also be able to completely machine gun ult shots between a higher mana pool and 30-40% CDR.

BigLeafyTree fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Mar 4, 2016

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Illaoi seems reall good if the enemy is a bunch of bruisers so she can slap a bunch of them at the same time in her tentacle playground. I'm not sure how useful that niche is or how likely it is to turn up right now, but there you go.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Daemonlasher posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMsgXYneolY

Champ is pretty horrible though to be honest, all of her power comes from fighting around her tentacles and once people realize that she loses all her fighting capabilities outside of a massive ult. With no tricks to avoid/soak up CC she gets kited super easily.

Out of curiosity would anyone be interested in free coaching / replay reviews? I'm starting up streaming again and setting a more relaxed schedule so I don't feel burnt out, going to do something called teacher Tuesdays/ and maybe thursday, looking to probably stream 3 times a week for now until I get into the groove of things (also school keeps me busy). On Tuesdays I can spend something like 2-3 hours doing 1 to 1 coaching and then spend an hour or so teaching general concepts for everyone else in the stream. If anyone has any ideas please feel free to shoot! For people interested, I can cover any role except jungle up to Diamond, jungle is the only role I really don't play (I mean I can try, it just probably won't be as useful as an actual jungler teaching you.)

Will you be recording/streaming/uploading all of the coaching and general teaching? Also plug your stream so I can find it.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

lol that Kog win rate change, goddamn. It's going to be extra funny when Rageblade finally gets toned down a bit (which I assume is happening eventually) and he's even worse off.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Flipswitch posted:

played first game in 5 months and man Mf still hella rad, that walk is the A game let me tell ya.

Is there a write up at all on the ADC items now? I kinda just built the ones that looked cool and did well. Normally I'd follow probuilds or something but I wouldn't mind figuring out why things are good from someone elses perspective.

The Triforce carriers, Vayne, Kalista, and Kog have different needs, for the rest it goes like this I think:

Your first goal is probably to hit IE/ER, your Zeal item of choice, and upgraded boots.
-IE vs ER is basically a question of raw damage vs utility (plus ER has a more forgiving build up). Both items are kinda meh alone so I find sitting on a BF Sword and finishing the Zeal item feels better.
-Your first Zeal item is very much 'it depends'. PD helps you duel and kite champs that need to run at you like Olaf or whatever (especially if you also get Furor enchant). RFC gives you some freedom to poke, and is best I think on long range champs (eg. Caitlyn), fast ones (eg. MF), or ones that can do a lot in a single attack (eg. Draven). Shiv is probably the most generically good one if you don't know what you want, waveclear and a little burst is never wrong. Hurricane is good depending on the champion, especially if they have multiple melee or you benefit from the extra attacks. The stats on all the Zeal items are roughly the same so you're really comparing the passives.

I'll edit in some more in a bit, but you can't go far wrong copying stuff from probuilds and disclaimer I'm bad.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

More words.

Hurricane has strong synergy with Fervor so if you're taking that keystone (which almost everybody is?) that's another point for it.

Last Whisper and LDR are both fine items, but LW now only penetrates bonus armor, so unless the people you need to kill have finished an armor item all you're doing is paying a lot to be able to penetrate their armor from runes. The Giant Killer passive is good, but if you don't already have your damage/attack speed/crit, it's not a great deal. (I think, haven't run the numbers to get an exact idea of where the break points for value are)

Your lifesteal options are a choice of BoRK, Bloodthirster, and Mercurial. Bloodthirster is the best for banging it out toe-to-toe since it offers the most lifesteal and the shield. BoRK is anti-tank, and the active is pretty good for fighting bruisers (or anyone, but especially bruisers). Mercurial is legit as hell now, combining the speed boost with cleanse with lifesteal and some damage. They also offer different spreads of stats so make an informed decision. It's fine to sit on a Vamp Scepter for a while if you have higher priorities too.

You can do a 100% crit build by going IE, ER, Zeal-item x2. It definitely hits hard if your only concern is pounding nerds into paste, but it leaves you with very little room for other items and LDR is already probably one of them unless their team has no tankiness. You've played ADC in the past so you know when you need a defensive item and so on and what would be generally useful.

Ghostblade is just okay right now maybe? I've stopped building it for no particular reason, it just never feels like the right choice. Maw and Sterak's are legit defensive options if you'd really rather not be dead. ZZRot isn't ideal on ADCs but I like the item so much and it's so good right now that I still build it sometimes if I'm not desperately in need of something else, the +20% movespeed near turrets is really really nice. Boots are interesting right now with Zerker's being kind of optional right now for once. Zerker's are still very efficient DPS-wise, Lucidity boots can bump you from 30% CDR (from ER) to 40% if you don't have another source for that final 10% (Triforce, runes, Ghostblade, w/e), and Swifties are really nice as they've had their movespeed bumped up so they're noticeably a step quicker than the others and many of the threats you'll be running from like Swifties right now too so it's helpful to not be straight up slower than them.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Flipswitch posted:

Thanks for the posts on adc items all. Super helpful and informative stuff which has been super clear. I'm go ogling about at the new masteries, christ this game has changed.

Imo, ADC masteries are basically:
-Fervor is good to great on everyone, even better if you're getting a Hurricane, and stupid good on Kog.
-Deathfire whatever is good on Jhin and nobody else.
-Thunderlord's is a lane dominator mastery
-The one that makes you run fast after doing 30% damage or whatever is possibly good? Nobody's picking it though I think
-Some people have experimented with tank masteries on Graves for example with Strength of Ages. 300 HP (and more from the tree) is a solid chunk of beef for a role that buys minimal defenses and is prone to getting popped. Could be interesting but sounds niche as gently caress.
-The new lifesteal on low hp one sounds okay or something?

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

John Murdoch posted:

Jungle Graves, presumably? SoA seems to be the new default for nearly every jungler, except for sustained attackers who want Fervor or the few burst assassins that still want Thunderlord's.

Nah it was lane Graves.

http://youtu.be/6TtBigMAY1U

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

The Shortest Path posted:

So does that make AS% from items give him more or is that not how AS growth works?

Base attack speed is what changes the value/effect of attack speed on champs. AS growth is identical to AS from items. So if you had two champs with hugely varying base attack speeds, let's say 1 atk/s and 2 atk/s, the one with a greater base attack speed benefits 'more' because their base is so much better. For example if both champs had +100% AS the 1 atk/s would go to 2, and the 2 atk/s would go to 4.

That's basically how Kog works actually, along with raising his attack speed cap.

BigLeafyTree fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 12, 2016

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Is it just me or is Sivir really good right now? Ricochet crits mean that targets that were only getting tickled by you before in teamfights are now taking big chunks and her waveclear is even stronger.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

itsjustdrew posted:

I'm thinking about playing her while she's strong, how should she be built right now?

I was doing IE, Shiv, ER, whatever in that order and the wave clear and aoe damage was comically good.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Aerox posted:

Since we are talking about Jhin I love him and I usually hate playing ADC but he's really fun and I feel like I do well with him even in games I lose.

I would like to echo the person earlier who said they struggled with his traps. Bond or anyone else playing Jhin -- what's the optimal use on them? They take so long to explode they are easily walked out of, and in laning it's always really obvious when I've dropped one so the support will just go clear it safely the second I get out of range. I try dropping them in the chaos of teamfights but then it's just time I'm not shooting people and most people still seem to be able to just move out of the way once they trigger. Right now I'm basically just using them as wards, which seems powerful enough, but I feel like there's some sort of major use for them I'm completely missing.

Just pretend they do no damage and only provide vision and slow. Having the explosion hit a champion just doesn't happen much and they don't hit that hard anyway. You can snare someone after they've tripped one whether or not they actually take damage though, which is useful sometimes. They're your escape path and early warning system.

BigLeafyTree fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 16, 2016

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

It's really stupid that stuns don't prevent you from casting spells if you've begun the animation. Why is that a thing? Is it just lol rito spaghetti code?

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Sperglord Firecock posted:

the problem lies with, if you literally have a perfectly mechanically played game, you can still lose the game completely because the rest of your team are a bunch of potatoes that wont listen to what you say and will continually insist "dude i can play kat against yas no prob bro"

Right, but playing better can swing the games that are only unfavourable and not unwinnable. Throwing up your hands and saying "Team too heavy, why try" is stupid.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Parallel Playa posted:

She's permaban in high plat to mid diamond on eu as far as I can tell. Admittedly I don't play much and when I do it's as 5

Any idea how they're playing her?

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Heehee Hartlocks posted:

i once tried evelynn with bond of stone on her

before every teamfight one of my teammates would get poked and i would pop out of invisibility

It sucks with Warmog's and other out of combat abilities too because shared damage to you still counts for turning things on or off.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

If I wanted to play top lane and swap into a 1v2, what kind of champs work for that? I played a ton of solo offlane in Dota so I have a vague idea but I'm not sure how well it translates.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

you think ashe is a hyper carry because you are deliberately buying items that reduce her utility output significantly

It's true that ER + Zeal-item is less autoattack damage than IE + Zeal-item of course. Sometimes your team is 3 tanks, a supporty mid like Lulu, and you as ADC and then you need to build for damage for example. If your team isn't short on early damage she really is quite good with max CDR. Volley goes from slowing them often to always, and acting almost like an AoE DoT. Hawkshot is up just all the time, which sounds unexciting but people gush about blue trinket and Hawkshot can be like blue trinket on crack. Her ult can be a free kill every time it's up, so more arrows = more kills. It's really not bad.

I get that people think all ADCs must go for the highest possible autoattack build under all circumstances, but is there really no amount of utility that justifies cutting a bit of your damage?

BigLeafyTree fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Mar 22, 2016

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Fluffdaddy posted:

it doesn't help that every person who makes newbie guides on youtube tells people to never surrender because you never know! Which is bullshit because being down 15 kills at 25 minutes and missing an inhib means the game is over unless you somehow manage to drag that poo poo on 40 more minutes trying to poorly backdoor.

New players may not have the best sense for when a game is winnable or a completely beyond hope disaster, and playing out games is a good learning experience. I don't mind surrendering games that are beyond salvation barring the leading team AFKing for 10 minutes, but some people seem to only want to play if they're winning and torpedo morale by spamming surrender and complaining otherwise.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Phreak should be banned from talking to any humans at work. He's awful.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

kingcobweb posted:

Taric, Lissandra, Nautilus, Annie, Lulu, Malzahar, TF, Urgot, Lulu (depending on what's a "stun"), Pantheon (depending on what's ranged)

Some of those have long travel times to give the stunee a chance to flash or dash away, and some of those are on rather long cooldowns. Also Rammus' taunt.

I'm all for reducing the number of flashes and dashes since Flash is omnipresent and there's probably more champions who can't jump over walls than can by now. Mobility (especially instant mobility) has proved to be really really good in League and MOBAs in general, and having mobility creep just makes things kind of weird. If a fight breaks out it can be a flurry of flashes and it pushes the game towards either being able to kill people before they can flash (most assassins), good hard CC, or just even greater amounts of mobility. Turning off some mobility is a neat solution and I'm interested to see how well it works out.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Herbotron posted:

Any hot and spicy Darius tips? What's the fastest way to get his passive going in a teamfight?

Press all your buttons and use your W's auto reset (Titanic Hydra is another reset if you have it). Attack moving a little bit makes it easier. That's about it. You don't absolutely need to jump on a squishy. If you can go ape by beating on a tank you're still doing fine so don't do dumb poo poo like hurling yourself suicidally as deep as possible and getting killed.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Delete Soraka just on general principle. She's annoying even when she's not strong, and when she is strong she's unbearable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Bit of a long shot but has anyone else experienced the game continually telling them "Connection Timeout: The request to the pvp.net server timed out"? I often miss queues and rarely connect to the post-game screen. I've tried a bunch of suggested stuff but nothing has helped so far.

• Locked thread