Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Levitate posted:

More posts about cool mountaineering please

Any recommended movies that are available on Prime or Netflix etc?

Touching The Void is a bonkers crazy awesome documentary and is on Netflix (last time I checked). If you don't already know the story, don't spoil yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Syncopated posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1tBf455jXE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIv-s5hGw_s

This is 2 videos from Steve House, one of the best mountaineers in the world. These 2 clips are probably the best climbing/mountaineering films I've ever seen, even if the production values are kinda poo poo. He's filming it himself while climbing in Pakistan and Peru.

Have An Ice Day is a short video featuring House and one of his climbing partners doing ice/mixed cragging, but the production values are super high. Really cool. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aowLg3iumwY

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Levitate posted:

I wonder if he tells Yosemite he's going to do it without ropes when he gets a permit for it (I assume you need a permit to climb) and if they actually OK'd it

You need a permit to sleep in Yosemite, but no permits required to climb.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

His natural abilities probably revolve around being very even-tempered, able to focus for long periods, high degrees of eye-hand and body coordination, and of course, physical fitness and strength. I don't know if having no fear of heights is a natural ability or a developed skill. If he can also pass academic classes, he could probably be an actual astronaut. Or an olympic athlete. Or maybe he could do underwater welding, or operate a crane doing skyscraper construction. He could be a stunt pilot, maybe? There's countless careers and endeavors that those abilities could apply to and which aren't nearly as dangerous and/or have some greater benefit to society.

It's not even just doing rock climbing that I'm critical of. It's the freeclimbing. What's wrong with doing the exact same climb, but with a rope? What is the great achievement that you get from going "look ma, no hands" while you climb the exact same rock face? It's certainly impressive from a "holy poo poo dear god that man is insane" viewpoint. :shrug:

Understandably. I am too, to some degree. I guess I just hoped to make a point about how hard it is for people to assess or even recognize the difference between very high risk, and extreme risk. I feel pretty vindicated in that assessment when people say poo poo like "oh well I guess he should just sit on his rear end watching anime instead???" like that's the only alternative to free-climbing El Capitan. In the previous thread, I recall some everest-climbing mom's quote that basically showed she felt attempting to summit everest carried about the same risk as riding a bicycle on public roads. It's the reason why people buy lottery tickets; they just can't really gut-feel fathom what a 1 in 35 million chance is, compared to say a 1 in 1000 chance.

Clearly that's just not something most posters in the thread care to discuss, though. I'm still gonna think people who freeclimb sheer cliff faces are doing something suicidally stupid that everyone who loves them should be trying to talk them out of, not praising them for.

Yes, if only Alex Honnold had a safe job like astronaut or stunt pilot.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Pierogi posted:

Well, this turned out to be a royal gently caress up thanks to the biggest dumbass this side of the death zone.

The K2 expedition is as of now mounting a rescue operation for another Polish climber with a hardon for winter Nanga Parbat attempts (this was his seventh one). This guy, Tomasz Mackiewicz is a total amateur who got literally addicted to the idea of winter Nanga ascent after getting off heroin some years ago. The last attempt was in 2016 when he had to resign somewhere around 8000m. News soon came that another team were first to climb the mountain that season. Mackiewicz said that he doesn’t believe them and the photos from the top were photoshopped.
So now he is somewhere above 7600m with hurricane winds smacking him around, altitude sickness and snow blindness to boot. The K2 expedition pledged to rescue him and his unlucky companion and they are suspending their attempt to fly to them.

Alan Arnette has more details http://www.alanarnette.com/blog/2018/01/26/disaster-developing-on-nanga-part-k2-team-to-launch-rescue/

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Doctor Malaver posted:

Climbing K2 requires a permit, whether you're coming from the Pakistan side or the Chinese side. So why did they get permits to climb in these conditions? Or is it like pay once and use it whenever?

So it’s the government’s job to decide who’s safe and who isn’t? That’s completely contradictory to the spirit of climbing. These guys are as qualified as just about anyone ever will be to climb K2 in winter, they deserved the chance.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Wasabi the J posted:

People think I'm crazy for carrying a small pack with more water than I need, a few lighters, first aid kit, whistle, and a flashlight with fresh batteries on my day hikes.

It's a little much, but that extra couple lbs naked me sure I can last through an unexpected night.

I would agree that you're crazy for carrying a flashlight instead of an actually useful headlamp.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Haifisch posted:

Maybe he got confused and thought there was a bonus for being the first person to concern troll this Everest season.

Somebody needs to start a pool on how many people will troll this thread this year.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

RedMagus posted:

What is the climbing conditions of Everest these days? They've had an earthquake and a huge amount of melt last I remember, are any of the normal routes still usable?

It's still winter, most summits happen in May so you'll see teams for the spring push show up in early May.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Sand Monster posted:

Boukreev also wrote his own book trying to defend against Krakauer's criticisms, and the two got into a public argument at some kind of event at one point. He was also one of the guides that was on the team who were essentially dragging Sandy Hill Pittman up the mountain in the most glaring example of the commercialization of Everest which was a side story for the expedition. I can't remember if he wast the one who actually short-roped her, or if it was a Sherpa, but either way Krakauer was making some efforts to point out a lot of what he felt were that team's mistakes and which Boukreev wanted to protect himself from.

The Krakauer-Boukreev feud was also played up by marketing and publishers who knew that it'd sell more books. Into Thin Air was a huge hit of course and the publishers of The Climb knew that they could sell more copies by presenting the Boukreev book as a counter-argument to the more popular one. Boukreev died right around the time it came out anyways so the publishers were able to spin it however they wanted pretty much without his actual input.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

drat, the guy who was doing it solo with no oxygen made it past 7000 meters and turned back. That takes some serious discipline and smarts.

He also said from the start that he didn't expect to climb the mountain this winter - his whole plan was to scout the route and maybe he'd get lucky but probably plan to come back next year and go for it for real that time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Platystemon posted:

Aren’t there already terrible hygiene problems on Everest?

I don’t know how long the virus survives in the cold, but it seems reckless to find out.

Temperatures at Everest base camp go from about freezing at night to 60 degrees F in the day during the climbing months of April/May so it's not really very cold