Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

Some of the other sub-forums do running yearly goal/achievement threads so why the hell shouldn't we?

Feel free to post your goals and/or achievements for 2016. They can be as simple or as complicated as you want. Consider this to be a safe humble-brag zone.

Goals
Camp at least one night a month starting in March.
Take at least one week long trip in Fall to the Monument Valley area.
Get out to the trails near my house at least once a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Visit the Walcott Quarry.
Get back to Robson and make it to Snowbird Pass.
Do the Carthew - Alderson double summit challenge in Waterton.

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

The body may die, but the soul is always rotten
My goal of two local glaciated volcanoes per year stand unfulfilled: zero so far.

Enchanted valley in Olympic National Forest, I'd love to try that and possibly go up Mt Anderson nearby (which barely counts for above).

Also, Mt Robson Park. Why not, I was convinced before Picnic's posts in the other thread but now with urgency :). 12 hour drive... I hate driving long distances but it would be worth it. Would love to check out the base of Whitehorn.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Everyone should go to Robson but just remember you have to book the sites you want a few months in advance, can't deviate your plan once you're out there, and have to watch a dumb video about safety because a lot of people make it their first overnight trip and gently caress up basic self care skills thus becoming a liability. So the park literally gives you a crash course in things like drinking water and storing food.

b0ner of doom
Mar 17, 2006
i am going to head down to skagway to do the chilkoot trail this year i think

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

Picnic Princess posted:

Everyone should go to Robson but just remember you have to book the sites you want a few months in advance, can't deviate your plan once you're out there, and have to watch a dumb video about safety because a lot of people make it their first overnight trip and gently caress up basic self care skills thus becoming a liability. So the park literally gives you a crash course in things like drinking water and storing food.

I'd heard about reservations (not how to outside video though); is just walking off into the forest/glacier and picking a virgin spot yourself not allowed (not clear from the website)? I really hate to schedule these things, weather y'know.

Some places are like that. Reminds me of the flat 30$ fee you pay to go up Mt Shasta... entirely to fund the frequent rescues.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

meselfs posted:

I'd heard about reservations (not how to outside video though); is just walking off into the forest/glacier and picking a virgin spot yourself not allowed (not clear from the website)? I really hate to schedule these things, weather y'know.

Some places are like that. Reminds me of the flat 30$ fee you pay to go up Mt Shasta... entirely to fund the frequent rescues.

Not in a national or provincial park, you are subject to heavy fines. There are other places you can do that here but all the really nice places are fully protected.

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

Oh, thanks for that. I didn't initially find info on that online and just assumed it would be ok; on closer inspection the brochure explains it (nothing about going off trail though). I don't suppose someone could just walk to Alberta outside the park (like a mile north of Berg Lake) and sleep wherever?

Edit: yes it seems, with a permit, a guy could walk to Alberta (Jasper NP) and camp.

meselfs fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jan 31, 2016

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

My plans aren't specific quite yet, but I know this summer I will take one week off from work and go on a hiking trip somewhere that is a major distance away from where I live.

Possibilities:

1. thru-hike the John Muir Trail
2. hike Mt. Rainier and North Cascades National Parks
3. hike Grand Teton and Yellowstone

Not an easy choice to make.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
1. Lead 5.11 sport/5.9 trad
2. Wilson-El Diente traverse
3. First couloir climb :dance:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I should clarify that the Canadian Rockies parks system is a UNESCO world heritage site and that's the biggest reason there's no random camping. Especially the national parks like Jasper and Banff. Random camping is allowed in wildland provincial parks (which are different from provincial parks so be careful with names), provincial recreation areas, and crownland.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
canada sounds lame about camping

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

At least we don't have lotteries that's infinitely worse

b0ner of doom
Mar 17, 2006
In BC theres lots of provincial parks up north where wilderness camping is allowed if u want to get away from the really touristey areas down south.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

b0ner of doom posted:

In BC theres lots of provincial parks up north where wilderness camping is allowed if u want to get away from the really touristey areas down south.

This is true, the north is so scarcely visited there's no need to limit use. The famous areas are where it's needed.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

For content, I'm planning on doing a week of the Sierra High Route in August, already have permits for the Ritter Range area in July, need to get around to get a permit for Yosemite in June, and am also aiming for a September 4 day trip to Gardiner Basin.

Beyond that, I'll probably do some more stuff in SEKI, maybe a 2 day trip over the Great Western Divide and back, maybe something up to the Devil's Punchbowl/Red Mountain Basin area. Trips after August/September might have some factors influencing whether they happen.

If I had more time off I could probably go to the Grand Canyon in April but I don't think I'll be able to take off another week. I need to find some coastal areas to check out like Big Basin Redwoods state park, etc, for the spring. Maybe Pt. Reyes if I get off my rear end.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Finish the ski season at 50 days (at 26 currently). Climb outside 40 days this summer. Maybe hike a 14er, I find this boring though.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
My main goal for 2016 is to take overnight trips to places close enough for a long weekend but too far for a day hike:

-Goat Rocks
-Eastern Mt. St. Helens
-Southern BC
-The San Juan Islands

Other standing goals:
-Go hiking every week I'm in town once the snow mostly melts
-Go on at least one hike above 7,000 feet (that is pretty high around here)

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

My husband 12_String and I are gimpy, so we need the easy hikes. One nearby I want to take is to a pretty little waterfall called King's Canyon: https://waterfallrecord.com/2014/06/20/kings-canyon-falls-nevada/

Another spot I want to visit is the Taylor Creek Visitor Center & trail complex: http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/f...itor%2520Center

It has a Taylor Creek Stream Profile Chamber underground section where you can watch the fish (sometimes spawning Kokanee salmon, watch out for the bears!) go by! http://www.sactownmag.com/August-September-2014/True-Blue/

There's more, but that'll do for a start!

A Horse Named Mandy
Feb 9, 2007
Already planning the Yosemite North Rim and Grand Canyon of Tuolumne. Hoping to get either the Wonderland Trail around Mt Ranier or the High Sierra Trail, plus Broken Top and Havasu Falls if I can fit them in.

Levitate posted:

For content, I'm planning on doing a week of the Sierra High Route in August, already have permits for the Ritter Range area in July, need to get around to get a permit for Yosemite in June, and am also aiming for a September 4 day trip to Gardiner Basin.

Beyond that, I'll probably do some more stuff in SEKI, maybe a 2 day trip over the Great Western Divide and back, maybe something up to the Devil's Punchbowl/Red Mountain Basin area. Trips after August/September might have some factors influencing whether they happen.

If I had more time off I could probably go to the Grand Canyon in April but I don't think I'll be able to take off another week. I need to find some coastal areas to check out like Big Basin Redwoods state park, etc, for the spring. Maybe Pt. Reyes if I get off my rear end.

Big Basin has the Skyline-to-Sea trail, though fair warning, even the strenuous trails get pretty crowded on the weekends (I guess that's a given in the bay area). Also, how are you finding these areas in SEKI? I grew up an hour from the sequoias and never heard of any of these.

A Horse Named Mandy fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Feb 10, 2016

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

A Horse Named Mandy posted:

Also, how are you finding these areas in SEKI? I grew up an hour from the sequoias and never heard of any of these.

Talking to people, looking at maps, internet forums and websites. The Sierra High Route has been "known" since the 80's when Steve Roper published his book about it. It's really just a loosely connected route through the high areas of the Sierra from SEKI to Yosemite that I imagine people had been exploring for decades and he finally put down a route in a book.

Looking at maps and seeing neat looking areas that are way off trail and then finding places where people talk about how to get to them is a good time waster as well. https://www.highsierratopix.com is probably one of the best sites to get info about cross country routes and passes, etc.

Used to be people would just head out and explore and see where they could get to, share stories, maybe someone would write a book. Now it's all on the Internet and easy to find.

You also had the old school explorers like Theodore Solomons who explored a whole lot of the Sierra and wrote about it, so people have read about his adventures and gone looking for his routes

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.
I'm sadly out of shape, but I found a cool area with a variety of trails about 10-15 minutes from my house, so I want to get up there at least once a week.

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

I'm in Moab for the next 2 days and 2 nights. The weather is beautiful and there's hardly anyone here.

Where the rest of you nerds at?

Chocolate Milk
May 7, 2008

More tea, Wesley?
3 years of working a sedentary job with long hours has not been great for my mental or physical health, so my goal this year is just to walk more in general. Hopefully outside.

Edit: I also live in the South Island of New Zealand, so I really have no excuse. And am heading to the USA/UK later in the year, where I will no doubt walk more due to the whole tourist thing.

Chocolate Milk fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Feb 18, 2016

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Got all my permits lined up now for June through early September. Might have to change my June Yosemite permit if there's too much snow since it involves some cross country travel, but I can probably find something. Will probably look to nail down some late September, October, and November trips a little bit later. Don't need to reserve permits for SEKI after Sept 26th so that's always an option

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

my quads often feel sore as hell, am i going too out of my way to run around, and would this kill muscle growth from lifting/squatting/sit ups etc

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

My goals this year:

- First multi-day hike
- First 2km+ climb

I just had most of my meniscus taken out, so I'm in a very short window of having the most knee function I've had in years, while also experiencing rapidly worsening osteoarthritis. Basically now or never for my bucket list.

I've been able to keep my fitness level pretty high despite my poor health by taking day trips in the Gatineau Hills or Manitou Mountain most weeks. This spring I'll take a week in Algonquin Provincial Park to get familiar with my gear. Summer will be a long weekend to Mont Tremblant for some conditioning. Then I'm going to fly out to Strathcona Provincial Park to conquer one of my childhood nemeses: King's Peak, Golden Hinde, or Elkhorn Mountain.

Hopefully I don't die.

Herbicidal Maniac
Jun 3, 2008

You will be the effigy I burn, infused with all the traits that make them the detestable little goblins they are.

My goals this year:
-I'd like to get my first century in on my bike
-Get to running 10K outside, preferably on a trail.
-20K hike with 27kg/60lbs in a ruck.
-I'd love to start swimming, I live in Minnesota, so there are a ton of lakes, even close to downtown Minneapolis.
-I'm travelling to coastal Croatia, so I'm wanting to get some good hikes in there.

Can you tell that I work in an office?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
This will be my first full year in Seattle so I'm really excited by the outdoor possibilities this year. Its going to be a busy summer.

For sure happening

- Enchantments - I got permits so thats going to be awesome
- Dude trip 4 (an annual hiking trip with my friends that I'm setting up out here)
- Get my dog on his first backpacking trip
- Get my dog out for his first season of bird hunting (hes an 8 month old Vizsla)
- Get outside with my 7 year old nephew. He's really into nature and minerals etc right now so for christmas I bought him a headlamp, a compass, a sleeping bag and a gold pan. Little guy was so excited.

Would love to make these happen also

- Olympic NP - I've visited but never hiked. I would like to spend a weekend or more out there if possible.
- Mt Rainier NP - I've only ever day hiked so I would like to do something a little longer
- North Cascades/Pasayten - would love to visit again (backpacked pasayten 2 years ago)
- Whitewater rafting. I went once in Oregon and would like to do it again if possible.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I want to fish the closest reservoir to me enough that I can be one of those weird old guys who can take pity on a new fisherman and direct him to like exact loving dead tree to catch a bass under.

I also want to hike the entire 148 mile C&O canal trail. I'll probably end up only hiking maybe four hours a day, so I assume it will take me about 15-16 days to do the whole thing. The end of the trail is right in the middle of DC, so the plan is to rent a swanky hotel room at the end and just lay in bed, smoke weed, and order room service for about two to three days. Sadly, the last campsite is 16 miles from the end of the trail, and is also some of the best fishing, so I guess I'm going to have to nut up and camp illegally in some rich person's backyard the last night.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
My goal is to beat my time of 3:46 on the Imogene Pass Run, which is going to involve a lot of lung abuse. Anyone else doing that run?

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

Verman posted:

- Enchantments - I got permits so thats going to be awesome

YOU BASTARD

(goes back to searching maps for a good campsite just outside the boundary)

Nah, seriously, enjoy. I wish pristine weather on your predetermined date. Well done :)

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

meselfs posted:

YOU BASTARD

(goes back to searching maps for a good campsite just outside the boundary)

Nah, seriously, enjoy. I wish pristine weather on your predetermined date. Well done :)

The only reasons I feel I was awarded permits was that I picked the week after 4th of July, we enter on a Thursday, and I picked Stuart lake for my last option which is sort of limited in what it has to offer. There's not much to explore in the Stuart zone for 4 days without technical climbing skills. Since you have to sleep in the zone which your permit is for, we have to make day trips to everywhere we want to go. So we have to climb and descend asgard pass to go explore the upper enchantments every day. It's going to be a brutal trip but I'm excited for it regardless.

I Am Not Spor
Dec 13, 2006
all the better to glomp you with
Four backpacking trips. We've got Yolla Bolly and John Muir Wilderness (McGee Pass to Duck's Lake) already planned and we're thinking of doing the Minaretes in Ansel Adams and maybe something in the Trinity Alps :ca:

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

Verman posted:

So we have to climb and descend asgard pass to go explore the upper enchantments every day.

RIP

black children
Dec 14, 2009

bongwizzard posted:

I also want to hike the entire 148 mile C&O canal trail. I'll probably end up only hiking maybe four hours a day, so I assume it will take me about 15-16 days to do the whole thing. The end of the trail is right in the middle of DC, so the plan is to rent a swanky hotel room at the end and just lay in bed, smoke weed, and order room service for about two to three days. Sadly, the last campsite is 16 miles from the end of the trail, and is also some of the best fishing, so I guess I'm going to have to nut up and camp illegally in some rich person's backyard the last night.
that's fuckin sweet dude, my parents live in fairfax and i've always wanted to hike the C&O. sounds like you got a good plan hammered out, especially the part where you smoke weed.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Start saving up for Appalachian Trail thru hike next march
Go on more hikes
Die in the Texas heat during the summer

Smashurbanipal
Sep 12, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A SHITTY POSTER
Banged out a Presidential Traverse yesterday. That was nice.

joke_explainer
Dec 28, 2011

I've been wanting to go backpacking more. Saturday my friend mentioned they were going camping the next day and was like oh I thought I told you! Well if you get to this city you can go with us!

So now I'm at a Subway for an interminable greyhound transfer where the 24/hr employees refuse to let anybody sleep in the seating area. But just one more hour now. Soon I will be in the woods again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joke_explainer
Dec 28, 2011

That was fun. It was also 2500 feet of elevation out from the campsite in a largely overgrown trail covered in massive fallen trees and oh god I am not in as good as shape as probably most of the people here. My ankles, knees, and hips feel terrible and muscles are sore as I can remember.

• Locked thread