Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

joke_explainer posted:

That was fun. It was also 2500 feet of elevation out from the campsite in a largely overgrown trail covered in massive fallen trees and oh god I am not in as good as shape as probably most of the people here. My ankles, knees, and hips feel terrible and muscles are sore as I can remember.

That's a sign of a good trip.

I've been hiking and backpacking and always stay active but have recently developed an IT band issue. Debilitating knee pain after only a few miles really sucks especially with two trips coming up next month. I've been doing strength exercises to get rid of the issue. Apparently I have a weak butt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

I hosed my knee up real bad last summer and couldn't walk for a month or two and as a result got crazy fat and weak, and wasn't too stoked about that. So my new job is about three and a half miles from my home, and I decided to just walk it home after work every day. It took a minute to get into enjoying, but now it's my favorite part of the day! I grab a quick boilermaker and then get horrendously baked and get a good podcast going, and I'm suddenly losing weight in a fun and easy way. Already fitting into my old shirts after just a couple months of very light exercise, and my destroyed knee is showing big signs of improvement.

It's not exactly like a huge hiking goal, but my hope is to keep doing that and supplement it with longer walks as I get my strength back. I really enjoyed hiking the few times I've done it and I'd like to work back up to it with a new appreciation. Good luck everybody! If you just go do the thing you end up having done the thing!

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I have my permits for Berg Lake Trail!

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

The body may die, but the soul is always rotten
After destroying my computer a week ago by accidentally running way too much current in through the USB (controlling an exposed board which shorted when it brushed against a metal surface), I decided to do something solitary.

Finally made it to the top of little MoHo, goal for a while, too many failures. Altitude sickness and the worst sunburn I've ever had aside, it was splendid.

Unfortunately not photographed because I was scared and hurting, there was a small section of steep ice climbing which was unexpected and felt really unsafe, no way I could self arrest if I slipped (I read last week it was snow!). I don't know the first thing about ice climbing, but I guess I figured it out? I think I actually enjoyed it toward the end.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

meselfs posted:

Unfortunately not photographed because I was scared and hurting, there was a small section of steep ice climbing which was unexpected and felt really unsafe, no way I could self arrest if I slipped (I read last week it was snow!). I don't know the first thing about ice climbing, but I guess I figured it out? I think I actually enjoyed it toward the end.

I heard a similar report from the group I was supposed to go with a couple years ago. Made me feel pretty ok with bailing. Grats on getting up there

Graveyardstick
Nov 18, 2007

Are you too depressed to finish biting through that piece of toast?
This thread makes my goals seem ridiculously easy. My local park district has volunteer work days, which I haven't done for like 4 years, and it was really rewarding to get outdoors and clean trash/invasive species out of local woodlands. Most of why I haven't gone is just scheduling conflicts, but on the days I've had free I've just made excuses for myself about being too tired or whatever, so my goal is to stop that and actually get my rear end outdoors to do something worthwhile instead of staying at home logging more hours on Fallout. It's not as exotic as hiking through mountains, but parks and bike trails and still nice and a lot more accessible for me.

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

The body may die, but the soul is always rotten

hxcorpse posted:

so my goal is to stop that and actually get my rear end outdoors to do something worthwhile instead of staying at home logging more hours on Fallout

and this is 95% of the effort, props to you :)

b0ner of doom
Mar 17, 2006
got some holiday time at the end of July so i'll be backpacking in Kluane during that time

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
I used to love hiking, but I let that decline after a few years. Now I've been working with day hikes all over Montana in preparation for taking on Highline in Glacier this July.

joke_explainer
Dec 28, 2011

Concerned Citizen posted:

I used to love hiking, but I let that decline after a few years. Now I've been working with day hikes all over Montana in preparation for taking on Highline in Glacier this July.

Go you!!! Take pictures!!

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

I broke some important bits in 2015, so this year my goal is just to go car camping and do as many day hikes as possible, while slooowly building up the funds to buy the gear to do real several-day long backpacking trips. It's not exactly the loftiest goal, but since this time last year I was just out of a back brace and still walking with a cane I'm feeling okay about it.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

meselfs posted:

Gotta watch that freeze/thaw cycle, broseph

I'm packing for a solo backpacking trip. Cannot. loving. Wait.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Getting ready for a 3 day trip myself. Dehydrating food, etc...should be fun, nice area though probably will be a fair number of people. Just gotta look for more secluded campsites I guess

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I leave Thursday for 4 days in the enchantments.

I leave next Friday for 4 days in the north cascades.

I just got a shipment of my favorite jerky and a new msr cook set.

This will be a busy few weeks. Holy poo poo in both excited and trying to mentally prepare for the pain.

Verman fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jul 12, 2016

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Pain? Eh, your first trip will prepare you for your second trip

I'm also doing an out and back on the 23rd/24th, as I'm driving my dad to the start of his 500 miles on the PCT trip. Probably won't be a very exciting trip, I'm just driving him up to near Donner Pass and then he's heading south from there. I'll hike with him that first day and spend the night and then hike back. Not exciting but it's still getting out. Then I've got my 8 day trip in middle of August...

Banjo Bones
Mar 28, 2003

3 or 4 nights in Denali in August in about 3 weeks. I've never planned my own trip before or been anywhere without trails, or used a compass before, but I'm confident I'll figure it out. I'm most concerned with how much and what food to bring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
I just completed my first backpacking trip, a 3-day guided excursion in Glacier National Park. I trained pretty hard with day-hikes for about 4 months - was particularly concerned about the extra ~mile of altitude compared to middle Tennessee. This was marketed as 'backpacking for beginners', and we wound up only doing about 7 miles and 1-2k elevation per day with 35-pound packs. I was pleased to have no difficulty with the hike. Also, I hadn't camped outside in maybe 15 years but that was fine, too. The whole trip was awesome and went off without a hitch.

This definitely helped me see and understand what kind of equipment I'll need to start doing solo overnights closer to home, which is my next goal.

• Locked thread