Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

The body may die, but the soul is always rotten
My goal of two local glaciated volcanoes per year stand unfulfilled: zero so far.

Enchanted valley in Olympic National Forest, I'd love to try that and possibly go up Mt Anderson nearby (which barely counts for above).

Also, Mt Robson Park. Why not, I was convinced before Picnic's posts in the other thread but now with urgency :). 12 hour drive... I hate driving long distances but it would be worth it. Would love to check out the base of Whitehorn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

Picnic Princess posted:

Everyone should go to Robson but just remember you have to book the sites you want a few months in advance, can't deviate your plan once you're out there, and have to watch a dumb video about safety because a lot of people make it their first overnight trip and gently caress up basic self care skills thus becoming a liability. So the park literally gives you a crash course in things like drinking water and storing food.

I'd heard about reservations (not how to outside video though); is just walking off into the forest/glacier and picking a virgin spot yourself not allowed (not clear from the website)? I really hate to schedule these things, weather y'know.

Some places are like that. Reminds me of the flat 30$ fee you pay to go up Mt Shasta... entirely to fund the frequent rescues.

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

Oh, thanks for that. I didn't initially find info on that online and just assumed it would be ok; on closer inspection the brochure explains it (nothing about going off trail though). I don't suppose someone could just walk to Alberta outside the park (like a mile north of Berg Lake) and sleep wherever?

Edit: yes it seems, with a permit, a guy could walk to Alberta (Jasper NP) and camp.

meselfs fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jan 31, 2016

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

Verman posted:

- Enchantments - I got permits so thats going to be awesome

YOU BASTARD

(goes back to searching maps for a good campsite just outside the boundary)

Nah, seriously, enjoy. I wish pristine weather on your predetermined date. Well done :)

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

After destroying my computer a week ago by accidentally running way too much current in through the USB (controlling an exposed board which shorted when it brushed against a metal surface), I decided to do something solitary.

Finally made it to the top of little MoHo, goal for a while, too many failures. Altitude sickness and the worst sunburn I've ever had aside, it was splendid.

Unfortunately not photographed because I was scared and hurting, there was a small section of steep ice climbing which was unexpected and felt really unsafe, no way I could self arrest if I slipped (I read last week it was snow!). I don't know the first thing about ice climbing, but I guess I figured it out? I think I actually enjoyed it toward the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

hxcorpse posted:

so my goal is to stop that and actually get my rear end outdoors to do something worthwhile instead of staying at home logging more hours on Fallout

and this is 95% of the effort, props to you :)

• Locked thread