Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
canada sounds lame about camping

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

For content, I'm planning on doing a week of the Sierra High Route in August, already have permits for the Ritter Range area in July, need to get around to get a permit for Yosemite in June, and am also aiming for a September 4 day trip to Gardiner Basin.

Beyond that, I'll probably do some more stuff in SEKI, maybe a 2 day trip over the Great Western Divide and back, maybe something up to the Devil's Punchbowl/Red Mountain Basin area. Trips after August/September might have some factors influencing whether they happen.

If I had more time off I could probably go to the Grand Canyon in April but I don't think I'll be able to take off another week. I need to find some coastal areas to check out like Big Basin Redwoods state park, etc, for the spring. Maybe Pt. Reyes if I get off my rear end.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

A Horse Named Mandy posted:

Also, how are you finding these areas in SEKI? I grew up an hour from the sequoias and never heard of any of these.

Talking to people, looking at maps, internet forums and websites. The Sierra High Route has been "known" since the 80's when Steve Roper published his book about it. It's really just a loosely connected route through the high areas of the Sierra from SEKI to Yosemite that I imagine people had been exploring for decades and he finally put down a route in a book.

Looking at maps and seeing neat looking areas that are way off trail and then finding places where people talk about how to get to them is a good time waster as well. https://www.highsierratopix.com is probably one of the best sites to get info about cross country routes and passes, etc.

Used to be people would just head out and explore and see where they could get to, share stories, maybe someone would write a book. Now it's all on the Internet and easy to find.

You also had the old school explorers like Theodore Solomons who explored a whole lot of the Sierra and wrote about it, so people have read about his adventures and gone looking for his routes

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Got all my permits lined up now for June through early September. Might have to change my June Yosemite permit if there's too much snow since it involves some cross country travel, but I can probably find something. Will probably look to nail down some late September, October, and November trips a little bit later. Don't need to reserve permits for SEKI after Sept 26th so that's always an option

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Getting ready for a 3 day trip myself. Dehydrating food, etc...should be fun, nice area though probably will be a fair number of people. Just gotta look for more secluded campsites I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Pain? Eh, your first trip will prepare you for your second trip

I'm also doing an out and back on the 23rd/24th, as I'm driving my dad to the start of his 500 miles on the PCT trip. Probably won't be a very exciting trip, I'm just driving him up to near Donner Pass and then he's heading south from there. I'll hike with him that first day and spend the night and then hike back. Not exciting but it's still getting out. Then I've got my 8 day trip in middle of August...

• Locked thread