Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Since the last thread went to a...dark place... I thought we would give this a second try! This is a place for us to talk about modding decisions here in your favorite forum for pee jokes, GBS! I will also use this as a place to make announcments that may OR MAY NOT afleck you! Other mods may also post in here, or they may not, time will only tell on this one.

In short, let's keep this civil, and fun! And serious.

Stay tuned for the 2nd post..... where I will put a bunch of images of TOWN HALL MEETINGS from around the world to get us in the spirit of cooperation! It will take me a minute to get the images together so please refrain from posting until I've posted because it is important the flow is not broken here. Thank you for your help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

a star war betamax fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jan 30, 2016

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Nooner posted:

you and genesplicer are good, you are the fun chaotic neutral one (just like me :twisted:) and he is the stern yet fair one likethe ffather I never had :sigh: also I guess we have an old EDM(electroinc Dance muisc) guy as a mod now which seems cool.

basically I love posting with all of you even though I say mean things some times its mostly just cause its fun to say thingsthat make people mad sometimes and im a badboi online (:

Good grief..... can I get an admin in here to delete this post asap

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Also would guys mind if I closed all the various nazi threads down?

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

VectorSigma posted:

ASWBM what are your thoughts on the return of forum cancer and are there plans to give more bad posters cancer?

I dunno.... I've been happy to see it returning, but I also think it maybe just gives poo poo posters even more attention... feeding them..

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

dreezy posted:

close any threaad without at least 2 pictures of yummy food.

First good suggestion all week! Implementing this immediately.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Commie NedFlanders posted:

What opinions are not allowed

Cutting Me Off While I'm Talking
I don't understand why people find the need to interrupt me when I'm trying to tell you something. Maybe what you have/need to say is more important but either way, wait your loving turn. Wars break out because of miscommunication, and we really don't need another one. What's worse is when I'm having a conversation with someone else and you cut either me or him/her off. What.. is your deal!?

Pang Seh Kias (People Who Stand Me Up)
If I didn't want to go out with you in the first place, I would've come up with an excuse. Don't make plans with me half-heartedly and then come up with a reason that you're too tired, or you have an assignment due, or exams to study for later. I'd rather be told a firm "no," or a "see how" instead of a definite "yes," only to be disappointed in the end.

When My Things Aren't Arranged The Way It Should Be
You know the saying, "Everything has its time and place"? No, you obviously don't. If you're going to use my poo poo (i.e. cutlery, plates, hairdryer), at least put it back where it belongs, and how it was placed before. It's a no-brainer that it's just courtesy that you do. Don't be a selfish prick, douche.

"I Need To Tell You Something, But I Think I Shouldn't"
..then don't loving mention it in the first place. If you don't want me to know, then let's not waste both our time and effort on me trying to get you to spill the beans and you trying your best to not tell me. I see no point in this meaningless conversation. I am one curious being and you cannot, absolutely cannot, leave me hanging like that. Maybe you get some form of gratification from my attention but I'll probably just end up raging at you.

Beating Around The Bush
I think this just has to do with what I'm studying, really. I get how sometimes people want to make their stories they tell me more interesting and that's fine. But what I don't get in some academic studies is why they need to make a simple point sound so drat complex. Are you trying to show off your capabilities of academic discourse? I am not impressed. That is just.. so much bullshit on your end, Habermas.

Okay my bad. This isn't a pet peeve, it's just a rant. Scrap that.

Empty Promises
Promises made are meant to be kept. Don't make them if you know there's a possibility of breaking them. Meh, now I sound like some Twitter account dispensing some post-breakup tweets. But really, I for one do not make promises so easily, nor do I take them lightly. I hold people to their words all the time because I see the best in everyone and that they are honest and have some accountability to their words.

Speaking From Above
You do NOT speak to me from a pedestal, my friend. You do not get to talk down to me and neither do you get to talk at me. We are equals and all respect for you would be lost if you do. I don't care how many long our friendship has lasted, but being friends for that long would have made you notice how I don't take condescension by anyone; not even lecturers. To me, that is a low blow, bro.

Movie Talkers (In Cinemas)
"Eh what's happening ah?" Well gee, I don't know. How about you shut the gently caress up and continue watching? If you missed a joke or a vital piece of information, then that is your loss. Do not include me in your loss. We can talk later and I can fill you in.. or you can just download it later when you're back home. Do not spoil my cinematic experience, kthxbai.

Personal Space
I don't know about you, but I like my personal space to be two-arms length radius, big enough for me to spin around with my arms open (10 points for you if you actually tried to measure). While that is virtually impossible for public transport, it should be on a daily basis. Close friends get a free pass, but if you're not, please stay the gently caress away.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

SHISHKABOB posted:

How is your relationship with your parents, a starwar betamax?

Pretty good I get along with them a lot better since they passed

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Black Baby Goku posted:

I love GBS it's awesome and hilarious. Love to post here. The memes rule (Cuck, gay, ect) and truly incredible posters like Dad Gay So What, Nooner, and all the classics post here too. Truly special to see such fantastic and funny posting concepts pushing the limits, in the forum I love, GBS. the mega threads are probably my favorite part. The Everest loving Sucks thread, the hotdog man loving sucks thread, star citizen loving sucks thread, and big shout out to the sardine thread (personal shout out to Fish N Dad, SardBoxOne, and TackleRAM for laying the smack down on mustard 'dine fans haha).

I feel exactly the same way!

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

ChairmanMeow posted:

without waffle fries? I guess it is more ethical.

but seriously some one else pick up the waffle fry ball

Umm I'm afraid waffleimages has been down for almost a decade my friend...

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Ok so after much sole searching I decided to get rid of the Doobie threads.. Lets give him a break for a while.

If a few months from now he comes back with a wacky new buisness venture or a rap label or something, then feel free to make a new thread. But if we're just listlessly reposting fake twitter comments and pictures of his wife's facebook....well, maybe it's time for that train to leave the port.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Digital Fingers posted:

Can I still call people faggots in GBS? B/c there's a lot of faggots posting since lowtaxes drama thread and I feel like someone sound tell them about it.

I can say that I will personally never probate anyone for saying that but I cant sspeak for the other mods and admins and lowtax so do what you want I guess.......burn the candle at both ends!

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

genesplicer posted:

Hello, everyone!

I'm back from my alternate thread, where we raised millions of dollars to help homeless vets. It turns out that virtually all animal doctors have nice houses, so the excess money will be shunted into the "buy genesplicer a new wing for his mansion" fund.

So, what's been going on over here? Talking about my amazing second place finish?

Any questions I can answer for you?

What is your username from?

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

genesplicer posted:

Long, long ago, in 1976, I was part of my high school's crack computer team. Our school didn't actually have a computer. We had a teletype machine and a 300 baud modem. With this, we connected to the MIT mainframe and assisted seniors in finding colleges that had the progams they were interested in taking. During downtime, I figured out something. We used numerical codes to navigate, so I decided to see what other codes would do. After finding very little of interest, I managed to stumble upon the complete list of codes.

With this I was able to enter into parts of the server I was not authorized to enter. I managed to figure out a few passwords (not nearly as secure as they are today) and accessed even more. About this time, we had to do a report on some topic in biology. I decided to wow my teacher, and do my report on genetic engineering. This was a new technology (the first experiments had been done in 1973), and MIT was at the forefront. Since I had access to their primitive email system, I sent a few messages to the grad students asking questions. Eventually they figured out I was not an MIT student and questioned me. I explained what I had done, and the students approached a professor. They gave me limited access to their mainframe, in exchange for me not trying to crack the system any further. Quite a coup for a freshman high school kid.

The professor set up my account, with the tounge-in-cheek name "Genesplicer" (actually, it was "gensplcr", because login names were all 8 characters)

So, in December of this year, I will haved used the name "genesplicer" on various websites, etc, on the ARPANET, BBSs and the Internet, for 40 years.

A modern classic.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Hogge Wild posted:

how much time you mods spend on modding

also, how much time do you spend on just reading and posting

I bill Lowtax forr 35 hours a week (but most of that is spent playing minesweeper :twisted:)

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Also guys, I've been away for a couple of days and checking back in this morning there was a kinda weird rash of people posting stupid racist stuff... mostly just a few posters I think but I didn't really pay attention. It seems like people like doing that kind of stuff to rile people up but who cares, I just gassed it all.

I also went through and closed a bunch of threads that looked like low-effort dumbo poo poo like "I ate sandwhich?" or "u can post here"...so if your favorite thread for posting about twigs or rocks or whatever was closed I apologize.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Parallax Scroll posted:

i like starwar's current approach. gas dumb stuff occasionally, but also sometimes let it breathe. let people have a little fun but don't let it clutter up the forum too much.

Thank you for your support piss spider man

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Isaac posted:

Can we have blink and marquee html tags enabled

I will ask

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
I closed a bunch of "ITT we...." type threads just now.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Also I moved several political threads to the super cool new wacky election sub forum.....you should check it out, theres are really "popping off" in there! http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=269

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Good grief guys swear words are 100% punishable on the family friendly forums, get with the tims.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
I'm from Tim and I say tim them all.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

whoflungpoop posted:

please post it

we need to know the fa cu banana vacuum in our midst

5.0: Boko Haram
5.0: Ape Fist
5.0: Shinjobi
5.0: Nooner
5.0: Sir_Charles
5.0: Panniculus Rift
5.0: Hogge Wild
5.0: The Snark
5.0: Gilganixon
5.0: whoflungpoop
5.0: Digital Fingers
5.0: a starwar betamax
5.0: Spanish Manlove
5.0: Falun Bong Refugee
5.0: NurhacisUrn
5.0: AngstPenguin
5.0: ChairmanMeow
5.0: Isaac
5.0: Dinosaurmageddon
5.0: stinch
1.0: Sleeveless

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

dad gay. so what posted:

i take umbrage at the fact that the "new superhero ideas" thread was gassed and the "rub your hand on your penis" thread is allowed to live. a pox on thee.

Give me time good grief I'm a man not a machine.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Good morning everyone I am going to probate the top 5 posters in this thread.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Bundle of Keys posted:

Who's this little guy? Can he be my friend? :kimchi:

I'm really sorry he was supposed to be animated. Its a snake!

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
The pissa is here!

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Im really sorry guys but I just noticed that that pissa was called "oriental style" on the recipe website.......

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
D'you know what I hate? people who when you say "Bonjour" and its like 12:03 and they respond all obnoxiously "bonSOIR"

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
*Me, smiling and charming, giving a generous tip to the sonic roller skate girl* Thank you ma'am

*her, stuck up,, frigid.* My name is Gerald.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
vetoed.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
It will be hard to have a duck background when the next background is a high res oriental pissa image.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Enfield posted:

i took the dog to look at more cool ducks but he fell in the water lol. what a ding dong

whoa wishbone grew up

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Moltke posted:

why do all of the dad threads keep getting gassed

I've been expecting somebody to ask about this. The reason is that he just posts so many new threads every day.... ten or twenty usually. And they're almost always bizaro non-topics like "I ate a nacho and" and then the OP is some weird thing about wanting to kill himself. I know it's supposed to be a gimmick or something and I try to let those kinds of posts ride but.... good grief the guy posts a new one like every 15 minutes.

I've just been closing or gassing them on sight. Which I'm sure is just making him do it more so I guess I should stop .

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Good grief if yall love the word human being so much why don't you just marry it

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Once or twice a day I try to cruise through GBS and close\gas any bad\low content\obvious troll\stuff I don't like threads.....and we really only have one way to gauge if it's working or not and that is the "currently browsing" number..... it's now at an ALL TIME LOW! So great job to me on really driving those last few nails deeeep into the GBS coffin I guess.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
The coveted Franco Seal of Approval

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Spanish Manlove posted:

Have the metrics on bad thread frequency changed recently?

I am a simple man franco I can't purse that kind of language.

• Locked thread