Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BirryJoru
Mar 21, 2012

GRAMAGEDDON ISN'T OVER YET. SORRY.-RA TEHUTI :smuggo::smug::smugdon::grin::parrot:
I motion to end the unconstitutional censoring of this thread and these here forums.

It's all in the tone and all words should be free. It's how you use words that really matter.
Inflection is the keyword here.
Jew might be the perfect example.
Saying, "Don't be such a Jew." is different than saying, "Dirty rotten/God damned Jew!" which is also different than saying, "My best friend is a Jew."
It's all relative, folks.
Probate the hate filled and let the joyful frolic in their own amusingly ignorant ways, why not?

I'm too much of a pussy (like a scaredy cat) to finish the title line with other than obvious examples.

Is it still okay to say, "White"?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3765281

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BirryJoru
Mar 21, 2012

GRAMAGEDDON ISN'T OVER YET. SORRY.-RA TEHUTI :smuggo::smug::smugdon::grin::parrot:
This seemed like the appropriate thread.

I just caught up and it inspired me.

I like your new name.

BirryJoru
Mar 21, 2012

^This guy gets it!^

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

they should be handing out probations to the idiots making those kinds of reports

BirryJoru
Mar 21, 2012

Sorry, Nation.

BirryJoru
Mar 21, 2012

Hush now.

BirryJoru
Mar 21, 2012

Digital Fingers posted:

If you're calling a dude a human being because he's acting like a big lame dumby it's good. If you're calling a homosexual a human being because you hate homosexuals you can get banned.
It's usually incredibly loving easy to tell the difference..

The thing is we need to be able to use that language for the sake of calling out bad posters, when you call a dude a bad poster they'll launch into a diatribe about how they're not a bad poster and you get a huge lovely derail that makes them feel justified because of it because everyone feels like they're forced to respond in kind. If you call them a human being and they start writing paragraphs about how they aren't a human being and are actually insanely good and cool they just end up looking like a bigger human being and it's funny and marks them as socially maladjusted.

Even the fact that we can use these word in GBS stops a lot of the worst posters from coming here to start with and that's good. In my experence posting in old abe GBS and new GBS for the last 4 years is that the people who make a big deal out of people using the no-no words are universally terrible- They don't make jokes, they don't make content, and they don't post anything interesting.
Those types are the ones that only seem to be on the site to share opinions for the sake of self-validation and talk about nothing else.

They're the type of poster that ruined the first iteration of GBS and for the love of god you shouldn't let them move back in here.
Like even this loving post right here, i'm forced to explain why these things should be okay by making a big lovely post, this isn't fun for me to type, it's not fun to read, no one wants this.

Digital Fingers posted:

my comments on this are all spurred on by this poo poo I found through the leper colony last night:

this sack of poo poo reported the word oval office and someone ended up getting a day probation as a result.
then nooner used the word human being as part of a joke commenting on how ridiculous it was and he got a day too.

why they gently caress is this type of person influencing whats okay to post in GBS?

a starwar betamax posted:

Good grief if yall love the word human being so much why don't you just marry it

dad gay. so what posted:

you are not allowed to have fun online

BirryJoru
Mar 21, 2012

social vegan posted:

Gnarly tried to eff my ears w sexual breathing techniques and I was told By Administrators to "deal with it"

This explains everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BirryJoru
Mar 21, 2012

Shave your head. Kill your family.

• Locked thread