Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Lid posted:

Theres an inverse problem - even if the Olympics are moved what about athletes from countries afflicted by the Zika pandemic?

Voluntary isolation and self-monitoring is much easier to maintain on the smaller population of "individuals who are olympic athletes" than it is on the population of "all individuals who travel internationally to attend the olympics."

The issue is clear, and yet once again Margaret Chan refuses to act. WHO should immediately declare the Zika epidemic a PHEIC.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yes. Northern European states, where the mosquito that spread the virus don't exist, will have a much easier time winning if everyone from the rest of the world stays home. Seriously though, yeah, seems like the best course of action if the games aren't outright cancelled.

Shoulda held the games in Chicago. Alas, IOC is far too corrupt an organization to act in the olympic's best interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Starshark posted:

I'd be more inclined to agree if the virus was fatal, but only causing birth defects seems like such a half measure.

How much is it worth to you to know that your unborn child is free of a permanent and untreatable birth defect which in 85% of cases will limit their intellectual development and functional life skills?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Thesaurasaurus posted:

Serious question, is there a single ecological niche the mosquito fills that justifies its continued existence? I mean, nobody wept for smallpox.

They feed the lake fishies.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Yardbomb posted:

So it's unanimous, we cleanse the world of mosquitoes, gently caress em.

So what I wonder is, whether there's be an over-emphasis on study of mosquitos as a vector for detrimental infections, and an under-emphasis on the potential for mosquitos to be a vector for infections which ultimately result in a benefit in individuals and animals.

It's fairly easy to say "death to all mosquitos;" it's more difficult when you advocate looking into understanding the potential unknown unknowns of mosquito eradication.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

sparatuvs posted:

Isn't very possible that the kids being born with these underdeveloped brains are the result of outside environmental factors? Haven't the births of these children been localized in Brazil? Can we safely say it's not just something in the water? I mean before now it didn't look like Zika had been connected to these types of defects.

It may be more complicated than Zika infection during pregnancy -> fetus born with small head, however, there is a statistically significant enough correlation as to imply that a causative relation could exist, therefore additional research is required in order to establish whether a causative relation exists.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I guess i am an idiot but can someone explain to me what Zika virus does. from what it sounds like in the media, if you get infected, your kids are going to be malformed and intellectually disabled. these is apparently especially the case with already pregnant women. is that true?

That's a good question. Unfortunately, it's not well understood. There is a significant correlation between incidence of birth defects and zika infection; the mechanisms of zika infection are not well studied, and the scope of neurological affects are, as of yet, unknown.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Lid posted:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/feb/05/zika-virus-saliva-urine-transmission-kissing

Zika is more and more turning into what the paranoid beliefs of AIDS were.

That spells ill health for the Olympic Village.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Jesus. this won't end well. i guess the evangelicals have a new virus to jerk off about.

Frankly, there is too much still unknown about Zika for reactionary institutions like WHO to follow the lead of CDC and advise certain travel bans.

Does Zika cause any permanent neurological damage? Can Zika infection re-emerge? How long is Zika transmissible after symptom subsidence? What is the likelyhood of different exposures to different viral loads to lead to infection? Is Zika transmissable through any zoonotic reservoirs?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Hollismason posted:

At what point will we be able to call this the breeder disease?

And when is Alex Jones going to start claiming it as a engineered disease by gay scientists?

I believe that the "breeder disease" already has a namr, Hollismason: pregnancy.

It is an infection with a 9~ month progression.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

We do not know this yet.

Men are capable of transmitting Zika during sex, while no cases of female transmission have been recorded.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

This only helps if the person is willing to abort, no?

Woops, this story moves super fast, sorry.

I'd recommend:

http://reliefweb.int/disaster/ep-2016-000007-hti

If you want to stay up on the latest Zika news. Per the last few WHO SitReps, the tl;dr is that there is much about Zika that we have yet to know and more research is required. However, Zika is strongly suspected to cause microcephaly in fetuses and GBS in infected individuals.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

How are u posted:

My girlfriend and I will be travelling in South America, including Brazil, over the course of the next few months. We have no intention of getting pregnant any time soon, so should we be worried about Zika at all?

The impression that I've got is that it isn't particularly worrying unless you are or are planning to get pregnant, so even if we got it and a couple of years down the road decide to have a child then we would be ok, right?

There is insufficient data at this time to know the potential long-term affects of Zika infection.

Hollismason posted:

If it starts spreading in the south it's going to be pretty bad and of course it's going to keep spreading.

At this time, it is a question of when, not if, autochthonous circulation of Zika is reported in the United States. While Zika virus disease is caused by a virus transmitted by Aedes mosquitoes, other transmission modes are still under investigation.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Feb 6, 2016

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

WMain00 posted:

Yes it should be cancelled. The risk of worldwide spread of the virus is too great.

Unfortunately, Chan cares more about the interests of Chinese economic policy than she does authorizing a recommendation for a travel ban on pregnant women traveling to areas with autochthonous transmission of Zika viral disease.

You would have thought that the world would have learnt that public health is too important to trust in the hands of a communist political appointee. Unfortunately, this is not so.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Fanatic posted:

In September I'm going to a wedding in Forte Leza (north-eastern Brazil) for a week. Prior to that I'm travelling around Peru, Argentina and Rio for 18 days, so hearing now that Zika could stay in your system for up to 10 weeks is a bit disturbing... :ohdear:

If you are an American citizen, State recommends against such travel. Isn't it better to listen to State, than it is to endanger other American's lives with your recklessness?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

PT6A posted:

Didn't someone post a study showing that mosquitoes serve no important function in the ecosystem?

More research is required before accurate policy recommendations can be suggested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Cliff Racer posted:

Contrary to the other responses, I think that Rio really did win legitimately. Well, as legitimately as you can get in Olympic bidding these days anyway. It was awarded back when Brazil seemed to be doing really well and China's was a big success. The fact that there hadn't previously been any games in South America was a big factor as well. The Olympics also likes to rotate in and out of Europe so London 2012 in essence knocked out most of the best choices. Why it hasn't been relocated? Obstinance. Doing so would be a big insult to Brazil, make the IOC look bad, etc. It would take real courage and leadership to do and the Olympics doesn't have much of either.

Also the whole boatload of bribes which more reputable venues like Chicago refused to pay.

• Locked thread