Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Yeah, DDT is pretty good and it wouldn't have been such a huge issue if people were using it for legitimate pest control instead of going insane and spraying it all over fruit crops and poo poo, to the point where it could have very negative side effects on the environment. I don't think DDT use to kill mosquitoes was ever an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I'd also point out that there are vaccines for yellow fever and dengue, whereas there is not for Zika.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I didn't see this mentioned anywhere, but it seems like it could be relevant:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/microcephaly-brazil-zika-reality-1.3442580

Basically, there were a lot of microcephaly cases occurring in Brazil as far back as 2012 that weren't being recorded, or were just "borderline."

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I do not care about the ecosystem impact, destroy all mosquitoes everywhere forever.

Invest in bird feeders if you must. :colbert:

Didn't someone post a study showing that mosquitoes serve no important function in the ecosystem?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

SocketWrench posted:

The situation is; Brazil is a loving dump with raw sewage water

The question is; Why is anyone still serious about going there for any purpose aside to be infected or shot?

Should we boycott the olympics? Hell loving yes, till the Olympic Committee stops taking bribes to throw the damned thing in these little poo poo gently caress hellholes.

The problem is that these countries aren't little poo poo gently caress hellholes, they're giant gaping poo poo gently caress hellholes with lots of money and enough luxury available to the rich that it can be easy to forget what hellholes they are.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

My city is considering a bid for the Olympics. If they make it past this first stage, I'm loving moving. No one can possibly be so completely goddamn stupid, right?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Byolante posted:

I just suggested that if they don't go to the olympics they starve, I don't think thats suggesting they are in a good place financially.

Most of the athletes don't get paid for their appearance anyway, though.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Byolante posted:

Here at least to get the government elite athlete stipend you have to be attending world champs and olympics. Maybe its different where you are?

I don't know exactly how the funding works, but I can tell you if a corporate sponsor withdrew their funding for an athlete because they made a health-based decision not to compete at the Rio olympics, I'd tell them to take a flying gently caress at a rolling donut.

In fact, if I were one of the major sponsors, I'd put out a press release saying that the funding of athletes is not contingent on their participation in the Olympics if they choose not to compete because of the many, many issues surrounding Rio. You'd get mad media coverage anyway (at least as much as sponsoring an athlete in some obscure sport no one watches), and a lot of the athletes would go anyway because, unlike Rory McIlroy, a pentathlete (for example) doesn't really have another place to compete at the highest level of their sport.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

No, that's a pretty good summary of the article actually.

As much as Zika probably isn't the only reason they aren't going to Rio, my guess is if the tournament were being played somewhere without poo poo-water, violence, etc (in effect, if the olympics were being held in a first world country), many of these golfers would choose to go. I suppose it's unfair to blame Zika entirely, but I don't think it's unfair to blame the fact that Rio is, more generally, a shithole with many problems.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Have the pool chemicals addled his brain or something?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

He was clever. Others, not so much:

https://twitter.com/peteralexander/status/766080339429031936

Also I'm pretty sure this is the first and only time Lochte has been referred to as clever, and I suspect it may well be the last.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Dias posted:

Oh, dear, Vila Mimosa.

Also the Olympics are running pretty much as I expected. The major fuckup was a green pool, I guess? For "the worst Games ever", I'll take it gladly.

A German coach died in a traffic accident, although I suppose that could happen anywhere (but where it did happen is a country with a decidedly poo poo road safety record).

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Why the gently caress would fit and attractive Olympians need to even leave the village if they wanted to gently caress some hot exotic women?

Would you gently caress Lochte when there's a veritable international smorgasbord of fit athletes who are probably way less stupid and insufferable than him?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Why are some Americans acting like lying to the cops is no big deal and somehow the evil Brazilians are oppressing ARE GREAT AMERICAN ATHLETES?

Newsflash: you have to follow the law, even when you're in a country that isn't your own. If the police are lying, they're really loving stupid to stick with the lie because the story is being covered around the world and any planned extortion wouldn't actually work.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Jesus Christ, did they eat lead paint as children or something?

EDIT: Lol, now he's basically saying he was scared and it felt like he was being robbed at gunpoint, despite the fact that he and his friends had just wrecked a gas station and pissed all over the place.

https://twitter.com/RyanLochte/status/766638785140498432

He really is the stupid gift that keeps on giving.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Aug 19, 2016

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Lizard Combatant posted:

I'd never heard of this guy until this. What a loving boob

It's pretty impressive to go from being a relative nobody to being known worldwide as "that borderline-retarded douchebag American who pissed all over a gas station and then lied about it" so quickly, when you think about it...

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Let's double down on being a complete moron! What could ever go wrong with this stunning plan?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/rio-2016/2016/08/19/ryan-lochte-lawyer-robbery-brazil/88995100/

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I think you can say that Lochte probably shouldn't have had a gun pointed at him, ideally, while at the same time agreeing that calling the situation a "robbery at gunpoint" is a rather fanciful exaggeration.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

The fact that the security guard/police officer/whatever was an rear end in a top hat doesn't make Lochte not an rear end in a top hat and a liar, and it doesn't mean that Lochte didn't commit a crime; that's what people defending Lochte don't seem to understand. Everyone involved in that whole situation appears to be in the wrong, as far as I'm concerned.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Hey look, it turns out there's a significant disagreement as to whether guns were ever pointed at the swimmers:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/us-swimmer-robbery-1.3729422

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

kustomkarkommando posted:

Also its quite a big story in Ireland, but the head of the European Olympic Committees (the European branch of the IOC) was arrested as part of a Brazilian investigation into price gouging after the director of THG, the former official ticket vendor for the London and Sochi games who where overlooked for Rio, was arrested with a suitcase full of tickets supposedly being touted at twice their face value.

Its a bit of scandal in Ireland, the official in question is head of the Irish Olympic committee and several other Irish Olympic officials have had their passports confiscated after their offices where raided.

Some red faces in the IOC I would say

That's more about the Olympics being a hosed up institution in general, not anything Brazil-specific. If anything, Brazil did a good thing by arresting the old bastard.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Between this and helping to part a giant raving douchebag from his sponsorships, I think Brazil has had a net positive effect on the world with this Olympics.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

If the athletes' village were turned into subsidized rental housing owned by the government of the host city, I think that could be fairly beneficial, no?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Cliff Racer posted:

It could be, but I don't want the government to be in the housing business and, more over, from an urban planning perspective placing a load of subsidized houses of the exact same vintage together like that has been a recipe for disaster as it all decays at the same rate. There've been a number of studies saying that the best way to build a community, government sponsored or not, is to have buildings of mixed ages and sizes together.

Why? The government should be in the housing business, just as it should be in the healthcare business, and generally in the business of providing necessities to those who cannot afford them. I'm not saying everything has to be controlled by the government, but I think it can be a net benefit when they are in those businesses.

And of course it shouldn't be the only subsidized housing provided by the city, just a part thereof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Frankly I'd rather have food and Zika, than not have Zika but also starve because plants aren't being pollinated, but that's just me.

We are already lacking bees, we don't need to gently caress up their populations any further.

• Locked thread