Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Has anyone ever gone hiking tramping in New Zealand? Next month I'm going to be in the area for a week and I'd definitely like to do some multi day tramping and camping.

Tongariro Crossing is a day hike on a volcano that seems pretty excellent though apparently it's the most popular hike in the country and bus loads of tourists come in for it. Alternatively I could do a two night and three day Tongariro Northern Circuit which may get me away from the casual crowds a fair bit. Has anyone ever done this and has any advice?

There seems like a lot of great hikes on the South Island and I've heard Nelson is a good centre to operate out of. That might be an alternative idea to pursue.

An interesting thing about New Zealand is that they have tons of huts that seem kind of like a backpackers. First come first served generally but you can book them too. That certainly makes things easy for travellers and really opens up access for multi day hikes to casual people. It's a neat idea. It'll be interesting to see how that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
I did the Earnslaw Burn near Queenstown with a few friends a couple years ago, in October. This is what was used as a shot in The Hobbit to represent the Misty Mountains.

Probably would have been better to do in November or later, as we had some wild weather swings, going from 70F to 35F in one day's time, our hike being right around the 50F mark.

It was an 8-hour hike in and out to the glacier face, though I believe there are helicopter tours that will drop you at the face itself and from there it's just a 4-hour out. We set out early, and due to it being early spring there, a lot of the trail wasn't cleared. Which was kind of neat, in a way, as we were going around some massive downed trees. Great waterfalls all along the route, had to do about 4-6 stream crossings, nothing bad, maybe calf-deep at most.

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/47019052.jpg

(edit: not my pic, area was much more snow-covered and grass was browner when we hit it)

We got to the open area in front of the glacier, had lunch, and were about to get closer when a massive snowstorm came roaring over the left side. Took some pictures and hurried back.

Queenstown is p far south, though, and unless you're renting a camper you'd probably have to fly in.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I did the Kepler Track in Fiordland last February and it was amazing. The first day near killed me but it was worth it for the incredible views on the second:

It was my first multi-day hike and it left me really keen to do more. Time, budget and health have conspired to keep me from doing another one since then, but I'm doing the Tongariro Northern Circuit in a couple of weeks, really looking forward to it. The huts are really good with gas stoves (gas is supplied) and flushing toilets, but I wouldn't rely on first-come first-served though, at least not on popular tracks like the Great Walks (Kepler and TNC among others) as I had to book huts for both at least 2 months in advance. I understand the huts on other less well-traveled tracks are more basic.

With regards to the South Island the Nelson/Abel Tasman National Park area is really nice, gets some of the best weather in the country, and contains two of the nine Great Walks: Heaphy and the Abel Tasman Coast Track. The other main concentration of tracks is in Fiordland (the remote south-western wilderness) for which you'd base out of Te Anau, a couple of hours from Queenstown. There are three Great Walks there: Kepler, Milford and Routeburn.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Feb 2, 2016

Hoplosternum
Jun 2, 2010

:parrot:
Hiking here is different to that found in most countries due to the severe influence of Marine Weather on the weather of our country.
Make sure that you check the weather two days either side of the trip on https://www.metvuw.com AND https://www.metservice.com

Always carry a wind and rainproof layer - regardless of how nice the weather looks. It snowed at 1800m around New Years (ie technically the middle of summer).

Always carry enough layers to deal with sudden temperature drops - its common for drops of 20°C to occur.

Make sure someone knows where you're going and when you're due out. Report back to them when you're out. They need to contact police if you don't report back.

Finally, bridged river crossings are a luxury in NZ, so only cross rivers if you are absolutely sure it is safe. There has already been an fatality this year due to river crossings (http://www.stuff.co.nz/.../second-tramper-dies-on-the...)

All of this said, NZ is a fantastic place to hike and I hope you enjoy your time here.

edit: Oh and check the DOC website to see what facilities/beds your hut had. They are NOT like a backpackers by the way, they are very basic and will often just be bunks, an outdoor toilet, rainwater tank and fireplace (for heating, not cooking) They do not contain cooking facilities, showers, bedding etc. Posting this as many international friends think hut = hotel.

Hoplosternum fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Feb 3, 2016

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Tongariro crossing is cool and good. You'll be going at a good time of year weather wise, although definitely take some emergency clothing just in case. It is very popular and there'll always be other people in sight.

Mt Taranaki is also a good day trip, it's about 2-3 hours drive from the central north island.

The Copland track is a lesser known route that goes up one of the valleys on the 'back' (west) side of Mt Cook. The Welcome flat hut halfway up has natural hot springs that you can bathe in after walking all day, it takes some beating :shobon: There's two or three day routes, or mountaineers sometimes use it to traverse Mt Cook. The hut is large with a communal bunkroom, has a kitchen but is BYO cooking/ sleeping gear.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Feb 3, 2016

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

routeburn track is excellent. well trod and not at all backcountry, but still beautiful. IIRC we did it in 3 days/2 nights, but probably could have done it in 2/1 if we'd wanted. i think there are also huts/lodges you could stay at if you don't want to bring a tent, but i don't remember much. the tramp has beautiful changes in terrain/clime, from subtropical forest to a glacial valley to an alpine lake.

but as others said, really can't go wrong tramping in NZ

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

I live in the Wairarapa region of New Zealand, about an hour and a half's drive from the capital, Wellington. I've done a bunch of day hikes in the area this summer, here are some pictures! These are all pretty easy, 2 - 4 hour walks at a beginner level.

Waiohine Gorge, Tararua Forest Park:

Kiriwhakapapa to Mikimiki Road:

Mount Holdsworth (to Mountain Shelter - you can do a three day hike across the ridge, and I want to!)

Putangirua Pinnacles:

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

Hoplosternum posted:

Hiking here is different to that found in most countries due to the severe influence of Marine Weather on the weather of our country.
Make sure that you check the weather two days either side of the trip on https://www.metvuw.com AND https://www.metservice.com

Always carry a wind and rainproof layer - regardless of how nice the weather looks. It snowed at 1800m around New Years (ie technically the middle of summer).

Always carry enough layers to deal with sudden temperature drops - its common for drops of 20°C to occur.

Make sure someone knows where you're going and when you're due out. Report back to them when you're out. They need to contact police if you don't report back.

Finally, bridged river crossings are a luxury in NZ, so only cross rivers if you are absolutely sure it is safe. There has already been an fatality this year due to river crossings (http://www.stuff.co.nz/.../second-tramper-dies-on-the...)

All of this said, NZ is a fantastic place to hike and I hope you enjoy your time here.

edit: Oh and check the DOC website to see what facilities/beds your hut had. They are NOT like a backpackers by the way, they are very basic and will often just be bunks, an outdoor toilet, rainwater tank and fireplace (for heating, not cooking) They do not contain cooking facilities, showers, bedding etc. Posting this as many international friends think hut = hotel.

qft please be safe! Too many tourists underestimate the weather here and get into trouble.

also, Abel Tasman is always my rec, it's so beautiful!

thank you, this has been my low effort post. you can always come say hi in the New Zealand thread in LAN too

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Shithouse Dave posted:

Putangirua Pinnacles:

is this where they filmed the opening of Braindead/Dead Alive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Panos
Jan 26, 2011

i just take a taiaha and hunt for my kai when i go bush op

• Locked thread