Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Has anyone ever gone hiking tramping in New Zealand? Next month I'm going to be in the area for a week and I'd definitely like to do some multi day tramping and camping.

Tongariro Crossing is a day hike on a volcano that seems pretty excellent though apparently it's the most popular hike in the country and bus loads of tourists come in for it. Alternatively I could do a two night and three day Tongariro Northern Circuit which may get me away from the casual crowds a fair bit. Has anyone ever done this and has any advice?

There seems like a lot of great hikes on the South Island and I've heard Nelson is a good centre to operate out of. That might be an alternative idea to pursue.

An interesting thing about New Zealand is that they have tons of huts that seem kind of like a backpackers. First come first served generally but you can book them too. That certainly makes things easy for travellers and really opens up access for multi day hikes to casual people. It's a neat idea. It'll be interesting to see how that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread