Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
I did the Earnslaw Burn near Queenstown with a few friends a couple years ago, in October. This is what was used as a shot in The Hobbit to represent the Misty Mountains.

Probably would have been better to do in November or later, as we had some wild weather swings, going from 70F to 35F in one day's time, our hike being right around the 50F mark.

It was an 8-hour hike in and out to the glacier face, though I believe there are helicopter tours that will drop you at the face itself and from there it's just a 4-hour out. We set out early, and due to it being early spring there, a lot of the trail wasn't cleared. Which was kind of neat, in a way, as we were going around some massive downed trees. Great waterfalls all along the route, had to do about 4-6 stream crossings, nothing bad, maybe calf-deep at most.

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/47019052.jpg

(edit: not my pic, area was much more snow-covered and grass was browner when we hit it)

We got to the open area in front of the glacier, had lunch, and were about to get closer when a massive snowstorm came roaring over the left side. Took some pictures and hurried back.

Queenstown is p far south, though, and unless you're renting a camper you'd probably have to fly in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread