Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I did the Kepler Track in Fiordland last February and it was amazing. The first day near killed me but it was worth it for the incredible views on the second:

It was my first multi-day hike and it left me really keen to do more. Time, budget and health have conspired to keep me from doing another one since then, but I'm doing the Tongariro Northern Circuit in a couple of weeks, really looking forward to it. The huts are really good with gas stoves (gas is supplied) and flushing toilets, but I wouldn't rely on first-come first-served though, at least not on popular tracks like the Great Walks (Kepler and TNC among others) as I had to book huts for both at least 2 months in advance. I understand the huts on other less well-traveled tracks are more basic.

With regards to the South Island the Nelson/Abel Tasman National Park area is really nice, gets some of the best weather in the country, and contains two of the nine Great Walks: Heaphy and the Abel Tasman Coast Track. The other main concentration of tracks is in Fiordland (the remote south-western wilderness) for which you'd base out of Te Anau, a couple of hours from Queenstown. There are three Great Walks there: Kepler, Milford and Routeburn.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Feb 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread