Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

redbackground posted:

Hi-five fellow '79-er!

Care to join me for Senior Dinner at 4pm?

Bob Evans as usual?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Bob Evans as usual?

As long as there's some banana pudding for dessert!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Lurdiak posted:

The acedemic cutoff is 1981. Rhyno just barely escapes. Hence my annoyance at 21 year olds cussing out 17 year olds for being no-good millenials.
Wait, I was born in 1982, that makes me a millenial? Nooooooooo I don't wanna have to snapchat the vines

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I've seen as many things that include '82 in the generation as don't. It's the most ambiguous year. The Miliminal. Just use cultural touchstones, like you should be doing anyway. :colbert:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CapnAndy posted:

Wait, I was born in 1982, that makes me a millenial? Nooooooooo I don't wanna have to snapchat the vines

You will install the Facevinespace app on your phone right this instant mister.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

CapnAndy posted:

Maybe you should try Tout!

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

CapnAndy posted:

Same. We're not.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Generational dividing points are arbitrary so who cares.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

Generational dividing points are arbitrary so who cares.

Advertisers, content producers, the health system, budgets, governments.

Basically everyone.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Everything is arbitrary.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Mid 80s makes me feel like a man without a country. Too old to rock 'n roll, too young to die.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Squizzle posted:

Almost exactly like comics "Ages" (Golden, Silver, etc.), pinning that poo poo down to years isn't actually useful. The real tests are all about culture and influences.

If the Cold War was a huge influence on your childhood, and it was socially unacceptable for someone your age to live with their parents after finishing college—you're Gen-X.

e: Also, if your youthful impression of New York was Scorcese Scary, you're probably Gen-X. If it was Giuliani's cleaner, touristy city, you're almost certainly Millennial.

Were you an adult when 9/11 happened? Probably not Millennial. Looking for (or lost) your first job during the financial crisis? Probably a Millenial.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Were you an adult when 9/11 happened? Probably not Millennial. Looking for (or lost) your first job during the financial crisis? Probably a Millenial.
I was 19 when 9/11 happened, but in my first job during the financial crisis (I didn't lose it though, but it was a close goddamned thing when it looked like all the car companies were going to collapse). I'M UNCLASSIFIABLE

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
You moderated an internet forum, as in an older BBS and not a Facebook group or similar. You're pre-Millenial. I solved it, you're welcome.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

END ME SCOOB posted:

You moderated an internet forum, as in an older BBS and not a Facebook group or similar. You're pre-Millenial. I solved it, you're welcome.

My dad used to get into flame wars with a German man on a local BBS.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I met my first roommate on a BBS.

It was as awesome and as terrible as you're imagining.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Ghostlight posted:

I met my first roommate on a BBS.

It was as awesome and as terrible as you're imagining.

I'll be roommates with you! I can't pay rent but I'll be the cutest home decor sitting around on my laptop all day,

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

WickedHate posted:

I'll be roommates with you! I can't pay rent but I'll be the cutest home decor sitting around on my laptop all day,

Mods???????????

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I met my college roommates (post-dorm life) on a forum. They were super cool and we're still friends.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

WickedHate posted:

So basically my last gf.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Ghostlight posted:

Everything is arbitrary.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Ghostlight posted:

So basically my last gf.

Way cuter. In fact, getting paid for the privilege of letting people look at me is the only job I'll ever accept.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I think that's how Jessica Nigiri makes a living.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Millenial is mostly defined as being born 1980-2001. Some define it as late as 1984 (Strauss/Howe) to 1992 as end-point (Canada), but generally around 1980 seems the more common starting point. If you want make yourself feel better you can claim being from the similarly made up Generation Oregon Trail if you are nearly a Gen Xer. I'm born 1980 and never played Oregon Trail, so I claim being just another stupid Millenial rear end in a top hat.

Decius fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Feb 23, 2016

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I'm happy I was born pre internet and remember what it was like to be bored and actually have to use my memory for things. I was born in 82.

What the gently caress happened to gen Y? That what everyone called my generation when I was younger.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

Endless Mike posted:

I met my college roommates (post-dorm life) on a forum. They were super cool and we're still friends.

Yeah but that was because of a buff lesbian.

I'm a 1982 babby so I'm a Willenial tyvm.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Norns posted:

What the gently caress happened to gen Y? That what everyone called my generation when I was younger.
The 'Y' was a placeholder until the 'characteristics' of the generation became known.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Ghostlight posted:

The 'Y' was a placeholder until the 'characteristics' of the generation became known.

K so how do you explain Gen X still being gen X?

This is real stupid and makes zero sense.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They had to keep it, Triple H and Shawn Michaels did so much under that name.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

They had to keep it, Triple H and Shawn Michaels did so much under that name.

lol

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Norns posted:

Ghostlight posted:

Everything is arbitrary.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

I should email Douglas Coupland about this pressing issue.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Norns posted:

Because Gen X'ers are lazy good for nothing slackers who can't even be bothered to name their generation something hip and 'with it.'

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Norns posted:

Because Generation X was a specific name given to that generation and not a placeholder. Generation Y was a placeholder and comes off as a post-script to Gen X.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

STAH thread makes me wonder, what's the actual best/most clever use of GL or any GL style power in comics. So you can create anything you think of, that's cool, there should be like a million great stories using that cleverly. Instead, the most iconic GL stuff seems to be more about being space cops or emotional warfare. I like Kyle and designs given to him were more interesting to look at but still feels like it hasn't been tapped that much as a concept.

Basically,

Lurdiak posted:

Dude, asking Green Lantern of all things to rise above chronic mediocrity is a pipe dream.

How is this so true about a character with powers like that

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

It's the Bizzaro Comics strip where Alan Scott makes a boxing glove to defeat a bank robber and then the boxing glove has an existential crisis.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

My favorite was when Kyle would use it to make French curves for his graphic design business.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

You just made me remember the guy from Smallville who got slight nerve damage in his hands from a car accident that made it harder for him to paint, but also gained telekinesis from the same incident, and he felt that was apparently a bad trade and went on a murderous revenge spree.

Keep in mind he could use his telekinesis to paint effortlessly.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Chinaman7000 posted:

STAH thread makes me wonder, what's the actual best/most clever use of GL or any GL style power in comics. So you can create anything you think of, that's cool, there should be like a million great stories using that cleverly. Instead, the most iconic GL stuff seems to be more about being space cops or emotional warfare. I like Kyle and designs given to him were more interesting to look at but still feels like it hasn't been tapped that much as a concept.

Not in comics, and totally not the way the ring works, I know, but I just finished playing Lego Batman 3, and all the Lanterns basically make portals to warp from one end of the galaxy to the other... shaped like regular doorways. I thought it was cute.

As far as comics go, I like when people kind of forget that the ring is only supposed to make constructs and instead just make GL rings do what-the-gently caress-ever because hey they're basically magic rings that work on willpower/wishing really hard. Like a couple of years ago, Simon Baz, the most recent GL that everyone immediately forgot, was getting a crash course in ring-wielding, and his trainer (a GL who is a squirrel because hey, comedy) told him through a very poor choice of words that the ring could do anything he willed it to do. Baz took it to a hospital where brother-in-law was in a coma and (through great effort) woke him up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Hal turned Lex Luthor into a giant dollar bill in Superfriends.

• Locked thread