Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Lurdiak posted:

You just made me remember the guy from Smallville who got slight nerve damage in his hands from a car accident that made it harder for him to paint, but also gained telekinesis from the same incident, and he felt that was apparently a bad trade and went on a murderous revenge spree.

Keep in mind he could use his telekinesis to paint effortlessly.

Dude just wanted to fit in with the rest of the ~*METEOR FREAKS*~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Last night's episode of Limitless (a surprisingly fun, clever, creative show, especially considering it's a procedural on CBS) had several comic artists contributing animated art for different flashbacks and fantasy sequences, including Nick Pitarra, Annie Wu, and Babs Tarr:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/02/18/limitless-new-sands-centric-episode-gets-comic-booky

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
I subbed to Marvel Unlimited for a month and have no idea what to read so I just clicked all of the things in the Discover tab and added random books that sounded interesting

is there any external website that has 'playlists' for particular runs that aren't covered in the events tab?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

KoldPT posted:

I subbed to Marvel Unlimited for a month and have no idea what to read so I just clicked all of the things in the Discover tab and added random books that sounded interesting

is there any external website that has 'playlists' for particular runs that aren't covered in the events tab?

Yeah tons. Do what I did when I first subbed and just google "what to read on Marvel Unlimited" there are a bunch of posts and blogs out there.

My personal, continuity-light favorite runs are Immortal Iron Fist and Thor God of Thunder.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

zoux posted:

Yeah tons. Do what I did when I first subbed and just google "what to read on Marvel Unlimited" there are a bunch of posts and blogs out there.

My personal, continuity-light favorite runs are Immortal Iron Fist and Thor God of Thunder.

I feel like i've read most commonly mentioned runs, but i'll take a look

so far, highlights:

- planet hulk is good
- world war hulk was ok, the tie-ins were terrible
- my younger brother wanted to read deadpool and he ended up just reading GOTG pretty much
- gonna read all of fraction's stuff!

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Read Jim Starlin's Warlock and Walt Simonson's Thor, I think those are both complete on Unlimited

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

KoldPT posted:

so far, highlights:

- planet hulk is good
- my younger brother wanted to read deadpool and he ended up just reading GOTG pretty much

Don't forget!

It's a huge pain in the rear end up front, but whenever you decide to tackle some huge event or cross run, just grab your reading list and go through and put the books into you library one at a time. It gets ordered by date so it's much less in a hassle (once the initial hassle is over)

Also whenever you inevitably think "hmmm what if I just read all the X-men books from the beginning...." it's missing a ton of stuff in the 80's and 90's for all the X-titles.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

KoldPT posted:

Thor God of Thunder.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I'm a big fan of the reader's club for finding new stuff. I don't listen to the associated podcast, but I generally check to see what it's recommending.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

KoldPT posted:

so far, highlights:

- planet hulk is good
Don't do this. Don't do this at all. Fraction did have some interesting stuff with Marvel (knife gun!) but his Uncanny X-men was middling at best and constantly torn down by Greg Land art. Also he wrote Fear Itself. That alone should keep you from reading everything he did for Marvel.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CapnAndy posted:

No, then we end up killing the good ones who fund useful causes and invent cool poo poo too.

The solution is to kill all the Republicans, everyone stop pussy-footing around with this "what no we just gotta get all the rich old white people" nonsense and say it plain. It's not like it takes the NSA to crack that particular code, just admit it. You'll feel better.

I'm willing to bet Zuckerberg votes Democratic and I'd have zero issue gutting him from his taint to his jaw bone.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Is it possible to crowdfund Land's permanent retirement from the business?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Make Ramos a stretch goal please.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

RevKrule posted:

Don't do this. Don't do this at all. Fraction did have some interesting stuff with Marvel (knife gun!) but his Uncanny X-men was middling at best and constantly torn down by Greg Land art. Also he wrote Fear Itself. That alone should keep you from reading everything he did for Marvel.

To be fair it probably wouldn't have been that bad as the original Cap/Thor story it was envisioned as. I mean, "evil god makes (basically) a bunch of evil Thors" sounds good on paper. But then Marvel had to event it up, as they are wont to do.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

TwoPair posted:

To be fair it probably wouldn't have been that bad as the original Cap/Thor story it was envisioned as. I mean, "evil god makes (basically) a bunch of evil Thors" sounds good on paper. But then Marvel had to event it up, as they are wont to do.

I think it would've made a pretty good contained event but also Fraction was running pretty meh in his Thor run before Fear Itself so I'm not sure he would've handled it amazingly. Fraction has done some great stuff and some of his all time best has been at Marvel but he never got a good voice for Asgard at all. But yes, I agree he got screwed worse and basically setup to fail when they wanted to push a Cap/Thor line wide event because they had a couple movies coming out.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

RevKrule posted:

Fraction's Iron Fist, Hawkeye, and Iron Man are all high points of Marvel to me.

His other Marvel stuff though... If I'd only read Uncanny X-Men and Fear Itself, I'd swear off his books by reputation alone.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Space Fish posted:

Fraction's Iron Fist, Hawkeye, and Iron Man are all high points of Marvel to me.

His other Marvel stuff though... If I'd only read Uncanny X-Men and Fear Itself, I'd swear off his books by reputation alone.

Remender is pretty hot and cold for me as well.

As for fraction and FI: how much can you blame someone for an event series, I mean isn't editorial all over them all the time?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Fraction for me is one of those writers where he'll write like five books and I'll really dislike three of them and really love the other two. He's the very definition of hit and miss for me. Sometimes even in the same title. For instance I loved the majority of Hawkeye but once he split them up and did the Kate goes to LA stuff the book just took a nosedive. Not helped by the massive delays.

In the good pile I'd throw in the first 2/3 of Hawkeye, Immortal Iron Fist, Fantastic Four/FF, The Order, The Defenders, and Sex Criminals. And in the bad pile I'd throw in everything else I've read by him including some Iron Man, some X-Men, some Thor, Fear Itself, Punisher, ODY-C.

X-O fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Feb 25, 2016

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Defenders only lasting twelve issues is loving criminal. It had poo poo sales for a book with such a good creative team.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fear Itself was the first big event that I, a comics noob who was just uncritically enamored with the medium, thought was really bad. However, Gillen's tie in is a great book in spite of the art. Did he ever write any other runs, there are some real iconic moments in those books especially for just being a tie in to some halfassed crossover.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

zoux posted:

Fear Itself was the first big event that I, a comics noob who was just uncritically enamored with the medium, thought was really bad. However, Gillen's tie in is a great book in spite of the art. Did he ever write any other runs, there are some real iconic moments in those books especially for just being a tie in to some halfassed crossover.

Journey into mystery and uncanny x-men after schism

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Space Fish posted:

To be fair, he also wrote Sensational Spider-man Annual, and that was fantastic.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

zoux posted:

Now here is where you start reading his non-marvel work. :unsmigghh:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Way ahead of you.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

Journey into mystery and uncanny x-men after schism

He also had a brief run on Thor between JMS and Fraction that made me really sad that they didn't just promise Matt a Thor miniseries or something and leave Kieron on the main book.

SWORD was also a super-fun short-lived book by Gillen and Steve Sanders (and stop whining about how Beast looks, I can hear you already).

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I didn't want to say this in the funny pictures thread and ruin their fun but man Squirrel Girl is the comic book version of those YouTube videos where a quirky white girl plays a ukulele cover of a metal song or gangsta rap.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Travis343 posted:

I didn't want to say this in the funny pictures thread and ruin their fun but man Squirrel Girl is the comic book version of those YouTube videos where a quirky white girl plays a ukulele cover of a metal song or gangsta rap.

Wow reductive and inaccurate, it's the perfect chat thread fight starter.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Who reads Squirrel Girl besides like five nerds..."Entertainment Weekly's best super hero comic of the year!" See!? Nobody likes Squirrel Girl!

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes

Travis343 posted:

Oh man, I feel this way about roughly 75% of the comics that are forum darlings on here. Good luck!

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Travis343 posted:

I was just thinking the same thing, except in my mind the voice saying this sounds much dopier and dumb.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The pro takedown would be "written like a Pomplamoose cover sounds", workshop your drat hot takes more people.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Squirrel Girl is good and cool.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I really like Nina Gordon's cover of Straight Outta Compton.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I'm glad people like Squirrel Girl. I don't want to put people down for liking it. Just had to get that off my chest.

As long as I'm here, Deadpool is like the comic book version of Old GBS.

trashbuilder
Dec 26, 2013

Look at all the poor opinions I have
Patsy Walker Hellcat is ukelele covers and you know it! Or whatever the hell that thing is where they cover songs in old styles? Post-modern jukebox?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

trashbuilder posted:

Patsy Walker Hellcat is ukelele covers and you know it!

My least favourite LMFAO track.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

trashbuilder posted:

Patsy Walker Hellcat is ukelele covers and you know it! Or whatever the hell that thing is where they cover songs in old styles? Post-modern jukebox?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUnGn8jpN00

It's Patsyyyyyy, Patsyyyyyy. I really want to be your friend and hope this day will never end.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Also, random point, but I really, really wish Michael Bay had decided to make the Transformers movies centred around Rachael Taylor instead of Megan Fox and The Beef. Well, not REALLY, because she wouldn't be Hellcat, but still.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Travis343 posted:

I'm glad people like Squirrel Girl. I don't want to put people down for liking it. Just had to get that off my chest.

I agree, actually. Same with Batgirl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Die Laughing posted:

Who reads Squirrel Girl besides like five nerds..."Entertainment Weekly's best super hero comic of the year!" See!? Nobody likes Squirrel Girl!

Last year someone suggested (seriously, as far as I can tell) that Squirrel Girl was designed to fail so that Marvel didn't have to keep making stuff with a female lead.

• Locked thread