Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well, I just bought that TMNT bundle that Comixology has on sale. Tell me that's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

MrFlibble posted:

IDW TMNT is fantastic, I still describe it as Ultimate TMNT - a modern version of all the TMNT media that came before. If you wanna read things in story order this might help http://tmntentity.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/the-idw-tmnt-continuity-timeline.html but i'm not sure because I tend to read the series as its released so its never been a problem for me.

Guys I got in over my head again.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

MrFlibble posted:

Oh Trades. Hmm. The way I have the trades lined up is fine for a reading order

Volume 1, Volume 2, Hero Micros 1, Volume 3, Hero Micros 2, Volume 4, Volume 5, Secret History, Villains Micro 1, Volume 6, Villains Micro 2, Volume 7, Volume 8, Utrom Empire

Now that I think about it - since comixology is a digital platform why didn't they bundle it in reading order? Typing that out made it look a whole lot more daunting than it is.

Thanks for helping a internet stranger make sense of convoluted comic book poo poo.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So it turns out that TMNT bundle I bought, I thought I was buying like the original run, but the IDW series is from 2011 :sweatdrop: But it's ok, I've seen some panels of that before in the panel threads and I heard good things so on balance it's probably for the better. Also, Eastman was 24 when he co-created TMNT? drat.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

uh i think that racial issues are fraught enough in america without walking around with a book with the word "negro" on the cover

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Holy crap you guys are white at a level I never thought possible

Aware of racial politics?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Settle down Bill Burr.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Isn't Lurdiak Canadian?

What are you afraid of, it's not like the book is about Native Americans.

First Incognations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's serious scifi in that it comes from that golden age where scifi stories were thinly veiled morality plays that used fantastical premises to do thought experiments about human nature.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I clicked on the Marvel Heroes thread in games on a lark and it actually looked decent and not some time gated f2p scam like I figured it was? With really deep lore too? Might have to check it out.

Sorta related, I wish there were good Marvel games for console that werent Lego

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The older I get the better Wolverine's power set looks.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Squizzle posted:

If you had the whole gauntlet, you could use the four sensory gems to crowdsource wisdom from everyone who had ever lived. Add the Reality Gem, and you could conference in every possible version of every possible person.

I must only use this power for good. Commence the Omega Meeting. There will be Powerpoint.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How bad is y'all's comic backlog right now? Mine is terrible, I'm never going to catch up.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

I'm nearing 6 months, so at least I can just read all the Marvel stuff on Unlimited then.

Once MU gets through Secret Wars then I will belong to a service that piles up unread comics for me.

I tried out keeping current with comics week to week through SW but I'm really a person that prefers to be able to read entire runs at once, I forget too much stuff week to week.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

15 minutes or so.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Madkal posted:

As a Canadian I am trying to figure out how to even have a backlog right now. I have been cutting titles just to save money so I am only reading maybe 2 or so comics per week.

digital sales where you can buy literally thousands of comic book pages for a dollar are my problem

This all goes back to me buying 10 trades of Constantine without realizing they weren't 140 page trades they were 500 page omnis, this is the danger when you cannot heft a book.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I wonder who's read the most comics ever. Fan or industry person?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I didn't realize there was an actual answer to that question, I guess he's a noted reader of comics?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I have this dude, comes in every Wednesday, every single week, picks books up off the shelf and tries to dictate his own prices. He'll bring the stack up, ask how much it is and promptly off half price. We have never given him a deal but he keeps trying going on three years now.

Does he buy at full price or walk out.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Aint no maybe.

After his failed attempts to barter he ends up buying two or three out if the 15 books he's pulled. And of course he leaves the unpurchased booms on the counter.

Booms?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Where's that creepy gently caress who dropped BSS into the Sonic books? He'd know if they are gloves.

Edit: I guess after I left some dude had a hissy fit over Spider-man getting top billing on Spider-man/Deadpool.

Comic book stores sound weird

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I could run a comic shop if I was a gentleman of idle leisure but it seems to me like it's a roller coaster ride of fiscal terror.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What was the first contemporary album you bought with your own money, that's what generation you are.

Mine was Pearl Jam Ten.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Seriously? I thought it was people who were teenagers in the 00's. I mean poo poo, I was born in '79 so I barely avoided this obnoxious label?

Same, we're both technically Gen X.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

KoldPT posted:

I subbed to Marvel Unlimited for a month and have no idea what to read so I just clicked all of the things in the Discover tab and added random books that sounded interesting

is there any external website that has 'playlists' for particular runs that aren't covered in the events tab?

Yeah tons. Do what I did when I first subbed and just google "what to read on Marvel Unlimited" there are a bunch of posts and blogs out there.

My personal, continuity-light favorite runs are Immortal Iron Fist and Thor God of Thunder.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

KoldPT posted:

I feel like i've read most commonly mentioned runs, but i'll take a look

so far, highlights:

- planet hulk is good
- world war hulk was ok, the tie-ins were terrible
- my younger brother wanted to read deadpool and he ended up just reading GOTG pretty much
- gonna read all of fraction's stuff!

Don't forget!

It's a huge pain in the rear end up front, but whenever you decide to tackle some huge event or cross run, just grab your reading list and go through and put the books into you library one at a time. It gets ordered by date so it's much less in a hassle (once the initial hassle is over)

Also whenever you inevitably think "hmmm what if I just read all the X-men books from the beginning...." it's missing a ton of stuff in the 80's and 90's for all the X-titles.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Space Fish posted:

Fraction's Iron Fist, Hawkeye, and Iron Man are all high points of Marvel to me.

His other Marvel stuff though... If I'd only read Uncanny X-Men and Fear Itself, I'd swear off his books by reputation alone.

Remender is pretty hot and cold for me as well.

As for fraction and FI: how much can you blame someone for an event series, I mean isn't editorial all over them all the time?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fear Itself was the first big event that I, a comics noob who was just uncritically enamored with the medium, thought was really bad. However, Gillen's tie in is a great book in spite of the art. Did he ever write any other runs, there are some real iconic moments in those books especially for just being a tie in to some halfassed crossover.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Way ahead of you.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Travis343 posted:

I didn't want to say this in the funny pictures thread and ruin their fun but man Squirrel Girl is the comic book version of those YouTube videos where a quirky white girl plays a ukulele cover of a metal song or gangsta rap.

Wow reductive and inaccurate, it's the perfect chat thread fight starter.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The pro takedown would be "written like a Pomplamoose cover sounds", workshop your drat hot takes more people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well that plan backfired since women led books were among Marvel's top sellers last year.

• Locked thread