Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It was meant to be. It's like rescuing a pound puppy that ends up tearing the throat out of a home invader.

You've been reading too much Dean Koontz, dude.

But that Celica is every kind of excellent, fantastic find. I'd like to see a video that includes the pop-up headlights, please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

McTinkerson posted:

I also need some goons to chime in and confirm that my fiance is in fact amazing for letting me plan and do this - she doesn't believe me when I say that she's awesome and other goons significant others wouldn't be this chill with such an endeavor.

Chiming in for exactly that. Your future-wife is absolutely amazing and awesome and you're a lucky, lucky bastard to have found her. I've not (yet) met either of you, but clearly everything about this is completely fantastic.

McTinkerson posted:

Here is what the car looks like now:

The plan is still to sell this magnificent beast after the rally (assuming it survives), right? 'Cause you can consider me interested.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
How many points would this be worth in the rally, assuming it could be done for under-budget?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Ooooh... 3 new updates in the wedding-rally thread! Lesseee...

McTinkerson posted:

Let's loving do this.

DrakeriderCa posted:

:toot: wish I was there but I'm currently painting impressionist clouds in a Newfie themed seafood pub with the wife

I wish you better luck than I had today. What a disaster.

THAT'S ALL WE GET??!!??!! I DEMAND MORE DETAILS!

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Man if we do this again I'm going to get something really stupid.

+ a big stupid lift.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Amazing.

Is there a twitter account for the rally?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Iceland shows the way!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MjySBPFCvw

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Unfortunately, I lack the proper equipment for a moment of BRAP.

Eat more beans.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

DrakeriderCa posted:

Pemberton Religious Compound/Hostel

You guys have been moaning about Pemberton without ever saying WHY it's a shithole / burn it to the ground / never go there.

What happened at the PRC/H?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Tommychu posted:

It should be vans if only because we can then call it the Warped Vans Tour.

If you're gonna call it that, then all of the entrants have to have some kind of frame or at least very very visible body damage. Straight lines will be heavily penalized, in other words.

Tear-drop windows and airbrushed Valkyries should be worth mega bonus points, though.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Liquid Communism posted:

Just how many body panels do I have to leave on to still be road legal?

I mean, can I drive a fully caged out van?
Define "fully" caged out.

You can legally drive around in an old jeep with the windshield folded down onto the hood, no roof, and the doors removed. New cars have side-impact requirements that mean converibles have big tall doors, but modified-by-owner rules are (I believe) more relaxed. And look at the Ariel Atom - it's basically a cage with car-stuff bolted on, and no real body panels at all.

My personal definition of "van" means "large enclosed internal volume" though I'd still call it a van if it the enclosure was basically a series of steel tubes forming a roll-cage like arrangement. So Powershift's example is not, to me, a van anymore. Details of cab shape (e.g. ratio of hood length to windshield height) aren't enough, that's a flat-bed truck.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Prairie car-photo backgrounds:

Gravel pit
SD 144 Topper and Ferry 2 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

Low angle from the ditch, clear blue sky background
Truck! 1 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

Dusk at the Badlands
Horseshoe Canyon 2 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

Underground parking lot at a grocery store
Underground Chrysler 300 2 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

Barbed-wire fence
Prairie Chrysler 300 5 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

Passing a shiny, shiny truck
Transcanada 13 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

The wan glow of the tow-truck's lights
SD 135 Towed 3 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

Across a frozen lake
SD 120 Ice Crossing Riverhurst 6 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

Take that fucker off-road
OR Prelude 02 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

Become one with both the Earth and the Sky
SD 040 Car & Landscape meld by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

I'll be in Alberta starting tomorrow, for about 3 weeks. Come find me - I'll mostly be at Seba Beach, 80 km west of Edmonton - and we can make photos like these happen to any car. That goes for anyone, I'm gonna be bored and kicking around a boring rental car.

There are also interesting *things* for backgrounds around, like Inland Terminals and there's even a lighthouse in Cochin, Saskatchewan.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Slung Blade posted:

poo poo, I've been procrastinating.

Truck space is practical. Girls like practical, right???

I wish I could get a satisfactory image that encompasses the interior.

I'm saving these images because while I have no idea about the bridesmaids, my GF *might* be usefully swayed by these we-took-this-little-car-camping shots. Also I like the car.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Slung Blade posted:

Also WOULD YOU LIKE TO PURCHASE THIS FINE AUTOMOBILE?

Camping stuff: noted, and agreed.

Purchase. Yes. I WANT to purchase that fine automobile, but actually making that happen seems doubtful.

HOWEVER. I face a (small, many-options-to-solve-it) transportation problem in Western Canada around christmas time. I am *not* in Western Canada at the moment, and I won't be west of Sudbury before mid-to-late December in any case. The tl/dr is, I need to get my GF and her cat from Regina to Calgary sometime between Dec 16 and Dec 24.

One option, probably the "comedy option" is: Purchase a car in Alberta, drive it to Regina, then drive with my two ladies (go ahead, make a bad pun here, I don't mind, but *I'm* not going to do it) to Calgary. After christmas, well, other problems happen later anyways and I can solve those then.

Realistically, the current efforts focused on SK friends also visiting AB over the holidays seems like the cheapest and easiest options. But "cheap and easy" is usually far from "best (most exciting!)"

Let's talk numbers here: Sweet Chili Heat sold for $2700. What are the current bids on the Hellica?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Slung Blade posted:

Betting you don't either.
Absolutely. I'm pretty much a frothing-at-the-mouth evangelist for Winter Tires at this point, 6 years in Saskatoon made sure of that.

This irresponsible purchase by me is pretty unlikely overall, but I'd appreciate (and other potential future buyers, I'm sure) it you could come up with some winter tire options. As much as I love studded winters, southern Onterrible says No Way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Talk of me purchasing anything aside, Kal Tire has treated me well in the past. New steelies seems like an unnecessary expense for the Hellica. Can't you get a set of 4 for $100 from the local JY? Or does the Hellica take a really unusual wheel / bolt size / pattern?

• Locked thread