Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will Trump get stumped?
Yes
No
#FeelTheBern
Baby Hitler
View Results

• Locked thread
Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Lycus posted:

What happens when there's a tie between many candidates? Do they find the guy at the caucus that plays a lot of Dungeons & Dragons?

Before rolling for initiative, you need to figure out each candidate's armor class. Hillary usually wears Teflon armor, which is worth... wait, are we using second or third edition rules here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
Microsoft could've integrated random.org's third party service into the app, I guess. But that'd totally kill the mood of a caucus.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Vox Nihili posted:

Yeah, that's dumb.

But there's no reason you couldn't send someone as unassigned.

They have to be someone who is in the caucus. In the event that they need to find a way to award an odd delegate, everyone eligible to be that delegate has chosen a side. Just giving it to fat John and telling him to be unassigned doesn't make him not the insane leader of the unprecedented Double Hitler contingent.

Lycus posted:

What happens when there's a tie between many candidates? Do they find the guy at the caucus that plays a lot of Dungeons & Dragons?

Depends on what they have on hand. Perhaps from now on each precinct will get an emergency tie breaker package. Inside a deck of cards, assorted straws of various sizes, a sustainably farmed, free range, killed due to natural causes, chicken bone fashioned into a D20, and a 120 page pamphlet outlining in explicit detail the variances of Roshambo.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Northjayhawk posted:

Yes, there is. "Unaffiliated" is its own preference group. My caucus had literally zero unaffiliated voters, and thats not going to be uncommon, people who are willing to show up and endure an hour or more of bullshit probably have an opinion.

Makes more sense than giving away extra votes by chance. It would be trivial to set up assignment rules that don't rely on that and it's endlessly amusing that people think the current way is in any way defensible.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Vox Nihili posted:

Makes more sense than giving away extra votes by chance. It would be trivial to set up assignment rules that don't rely on that and it's endlessly amusing that people think the current way is in any way defensible.

Your opinion on this issue is objectively wrong.

The primary purpose of the caucus is not to indicate a preference for a presidential candidate, it is to elect county delegates who will ultimately elect the new state party leadership that will run the party in that state for the next 4 years. And oh by the way, I guess we also have this presidential nomination thing too, so lets throw that into the rules as a criteria for selecting delegates.

That precinct earned that number of delegates to help determine the future of the party in that state. You need to somehow pick those delegates from that room, and trying to determine who in the room might be truly "unbiased" in case of a tie is really dumb.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Does this problem exist in the primary system? If not, maybe caucuses ought not be the way the presidential nomination is decided, tradition be damned.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

remusclaw posted:

Does this problem exist in the primary system? If not, maybe caucuses ought not be the way the presidential nomination is decided, tradition be damned.

For those who don't really care about the day to day operations of the party in the state, then primaries are obviously superior, more convenient, and caucuses may seem to be pretty dumb. The virtue of the caucus is that the grassroots can very easily throw everyone out, seize control of the party, and elect new leaders. In a state with primaries..... its harder to throw the leaders out. If you don't like the way your state Democratic or Republican party is being run in a primary state, they are more entrenched and less accountable to party members.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I guess the answer here would be to do both? Just decouple the Presidential nomination from the caucus, best of both worlds, no? I mean, obviously less people would show up to a caucus that was just about local leadership, but those are the people who care about that anyway.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

remusclaw posted:

I guess the answer here would be to do both? Just decouple the Presidential nomination from the caucus, best of both worlds, no?

Texas held a primary and caucus and it sucked.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

What happened? Or was it just less entertaining? I mean if all you want is drama, obviously a caucus is the way to go.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Aliquid posted:

Texas held a primary and caucus and it sucked.

The Texas thing was pretty different from what he's suggesting. They awarded most delegates by a primary, then had a caucus where they awarded some, but you had to vote in the primary in order to caucus.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i thought the republicans did decouple the presidential nomination from the caucus. they had their caucus and i guess they'll have their county caucuses later who presumably will do all the state party governance stuff (?) but the delegates they're sending to the national convention will have their assignments handed to them based on a proportional allocation of the ballots cast yesterday, on a statewide not precinct-by-precinct basis

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

eviltastic posted:

The Texas thing was pretty different from what he's suggesting. They awarded most delegates by a primary, then had a caucus where they awarded some, but you had to vote in the primary in order to caucus.

Are you sure about that? I skipped the primary and participated in the caucus no problem in 2008. I even introduced a change to the platform to guarantee healthcare as a right at my precinct :allears:

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

soscannonballs posted:

A delegate is a delegate. You can't say its only half.

bless you for this reference

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

What would King Solomon do?

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Vox Nihili posted:

Who exactly do you send as the "unassigned" delegate? I don't see how you can pick someone who isn't a Bernie or Hillary supporter.

Honestly, there are problems with the Iowa caucus but coin flips for ties are not one of them. County delegates are worth very little and you need some way to settle ties. Removing or adding a delegate to a precinct is just as arbitrary as flipping a coin, even if it "seems" more professional, and it's just as likely to unfairly bias toward one candidate or the other.

Concerned Citizen has issued a correction as of 06:20 on Feb 3, 2016

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Aliquid posted:

Are you sure about that? I skipped the primary and participated in the caucus no problem in 2008. I even introduced a change to the platform to guarantee healthcare as a right at my precinct :allears:

My main point was that the delegate issue was different, but yeah, I'm fairly sure about the eligibility thing? Just going off of wikipedia and the first few google hits, but I didn't see anything to the contrary. Going for 2008 specifically gets me this U.S. News article, for example.

e: From the 2013-2014 rules available here

quote:

B. Precinct Conventions
4. Eligibility to Participate. Any qualified Democratic voter 18 years of age or older who resides in the precinct where the convention will be held and who votes in the Democratic Primary, whether early or in person, shall be eligible to attend, to participate in, and to be a candidate for, any Party Office or for any Delegate or Alternate position to be filled at that convention.

e2: I should have specified that I know nothing about the Republican side of all that.

eviltastic has issued a correction as of 07:06 on Feb 3, 2016

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Homework Explainer posted:

bless you for this reference

I'm glad you and the other guy enjoyed it.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Concerned Citizen posted:

Who exactly do you send as the "unassigned" delegate? I don't see how you can pick someone who isn't a Bernie or Hillary supporter.

Honestly, there are problems with the Iowa caucus but coin flips for ties are not one of them. County delegates are worth very little and you need some way to settle ties. Removing or adding a delegate to a precinct is just as arbitrary as flipping a coin, even if it "seems" more professional, and it's just as likely to unfairly bias toward one candidate or the other.

That's where the one O'Malley supporter comes in

losonti tokash
Oct 29, 2007

I'm so pretty, oh so pretty.

Lycus posted:

I was working on the IDP's caucus help line, and the recommended tie breaker for a draw between 3 or more preference groups was pulling names out of a hat. I'm pretty sure we never got to that point, though.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

etalian posted:

What would King Solomon do?

Cramming Cruz into a bottle would be satisfying, but I don't think it would solve this problem :v:

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Pakled posted:

Jeb Bush has a clear route to the nomination, but first, we need to talk about parallel universes.

By staying in the same polling position for twelve days, Jeb can build up enough speed to finally stump Trump

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Zelder posted:

By staying in the same polling position for twelve days, Jeb can build up enough speed to finally stump Trump

The classic Blue Shell Gambit.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Can a delegate chosen at a caucus decide to go against their assignment (ie. a faithless elector)?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Can a delegate chosen at a caucus decide to go against their assignment (ie. a faithless elector)?

They can, but it's rare. They get picked because they were one of the biggest proponents of their candidate at the meeting, not just some guy who was like "I like this candidate I guess".

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

fishmech posted:

They can, but it's rare. They get picked because they were one of the biggest proponents of their candidate at the meeting, not just some guy who was like "I like this candidate I guess".

Not always. There's horse trading involved sometimes ("caucus with us and we'll let you be a delegate") and oftentimes it's a struggle to find people who will be a delegate. But your delegates are meant to be elected from your preference group - still, someone could change their mind between caucus day and the county convention.

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx
Didn't Ron Paul supporters do the faithless delegate thing?

losonti tokash
Oct 29, 2007

Yeah, and the GOP changed the rules so now they can't take over like that again.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
The punditocracy: Iowa edition

https://zippy.gfycat.com/GlossyUntidyAtlanticsharpnosepuffer.webm

https://zippy.gfycat.com/EvergreenBowedAmoeba.webm

https://zippy.gfycat.com/SoupyYellowElectriceel.webm

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
Iowa margin between Clinton, Sanders shifts as errors found

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...rrors/79877898/

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

It's almost as if a natural gas trader makes for a lovely political analyst

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Pragmatica posted:

Iowa margin between Clinton, Sanders shifts as errors found

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...rrors/79877898/

quote:

Party Chairwoman Andy McGuire the day after Monday's caucuses said no review would be conducted, and that Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton’s narrow victory over Bernie Sanders is final.

As the delegates have not voted yet and are not bound isn't this not true?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

hobbesmaster posted:

As the delegates have not voted yet and are not bound isn't this not true?

It's final in the same sense that Santorum was the official winner of Iowa last time, but Ron Paul was the eventual delegate winner.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Like, delegates are actual people, how can you be unsure of the count?

losonti tokash
Oct 29, 2007

The stuff reported on the websites is the preliminary data either from the reporting app or when they called in to give the info to an actual person. The final numbers come from the tally sheets filled out by each precinct chair and signed off by representatives of the campaigns. The chairs send those to the state party via the mail. The discrepancies are almost certainly due to human error when they reported the totals.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

losonti tokash posted:

The stuff reported on the websites is the preliminary data either from the reporting app or when they called in to give the info to an actual person. The final numbers come from the tally sheets filled out by each precinct chair and signed off by representatives of the campaigns. The chairs send those to the state party via the mail. The discrepancies are almost certainly due to human error when they reported the totals.

And in addition, there's been discrepancies practically every year, because precincts get run by pretty much random people in nearly 1700 locations, with not even a manual voting machine to simplify recordkeeping.

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
So I was the captain for Bernie, and my chair was a Bernie supporter. This physical tally sheet was just handed to me after we submitted the counts on the app. He told me to put my name on it and sign it. But I actually read what I was looking at, and it was the numbers from the night. It was like an official math work sheet. I asked him, and he said he would fill it out later, but I told him I would just fill in my numbers since I was putting my signature on it.

This sheet was like an after thought to him because of the app for reporting. Just makes me wonder. :(

losonti tokash
Oct 29, 2007

Jesus, that's not good. I hope that didn't happen too much, but probably no way to tell. :/

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Every 4 years we pretend that Iowa is first because they're used to these caucuses and they have so much practice with them. We're in good, experienced hands.

Every 4 years and one day we're reminded that Iowans gently caress it all up on the margins because at least half the time someone who doesn't actually know what they're doing is in charge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

losonti tokash posted:

Jesus, that's not good. I hope that didn't happen too much, but probably no way to tell. :/
The only sure way to prevent this from happening again is to not allow Iowans to vote.

• Locked thread