Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will Trump get stumped?
Yes
No
#FeelTheBern
Baby Hitler
View Results

• Locked thread
sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Pragmatica posted:

Sanders camp is very :tinfoil: about the Microsoft App. Captains are using the in house app to check results.

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/sanders-campaign-suspicious-corporate-influence-iowa-caucus

Isn't Microsoft a big Sanders donor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Isn't Microsoft a big Sanders donor?

Not that I know of. They did support Obama in 2008, which might be what you're recalling.

https://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/recips.php?id=D000000115&type=P&state=&sort=A&cycle=2008

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
why is iowa of all places so important

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Go Bernie go

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Jose posted:

Their state party chair decided to distribute a copy of the rules to everyone who participated in the state, district, county, and precinct caucuses in 1972. They knew they were having the state one in May, so he asked the guy in charge of printing how long he'd need and, having only an old mimeograph machine he said he'd need a month of lead time for each level. Counting back from May, that put the precinct caucuses in January and that's how Iowa came first.

Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

Why yes my username is the same as an autistic alien who looks like a 9 year old from an anime, why do ask?
:nyoron:

Jose posted:

Reading about this right now, actually http://www.vox.com/2016/1/25/10817088/iowa-caucus-2016-poll-trump-sanders

Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

Why yes my username is the same as an autistic alien who looks like a 9 year old from an anime, why do ask?
:nyoron:
"If Trump wins Iowa, prepare for a media frenzy like you've never seen before"

Rest assured, Vox, I don't just have popcorn for this, I will prepare and eat a full meal while watching the results come in

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Let's have a Bernie/Trump victory, followed by a Clinton FBI perp walk.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Let's have a Bernie/Trump victory, followed by a Clinton FBI perp walk.

Yes please

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Vox Nihili posted:

Not that I know of. They did support Obama in 2008, which might be what you're recalling.

https://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/recips.php?id=D000000115&type=P&state=&sort=A&cycle=2008

Microsoft employees were one of Bernie's top donors by employer (after Google).

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Joementum posted:

Their state party chair decided to distribute a copy of the rules to everyone who participated in the state, district, county, and precinct caucuses in 1972. They knew they were having the state one in May, so he asked the guy in charge of printing how long he'd need and, having only an old mimeograph machine he said he'd need a month of lead time for each level. Counting back from May, that put the precinct caucuses in January and that's how Iowa came first.

A dumb, outdated reason for a dumb, outdated system.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Joementum posted:

27 delegates are proportionally allocated to Presidential contenders based on the statewide vote. Each candidate receives (candidate's statewide vote) × 27 ÷ (total statewide vote) delegates. Round fractions to the nearest whole number. If there are too few delegates allocated, the candidate nearest the rounding threshold receives the additional delegate. If too many delegates are allocated, the candidate furthest the threshold looses a delegate. Three additional delegates, the three state party leaders, will also attend the national convention as unbound delegates.

I, um...what?

So they give a percentage of the 27 delegates, based on the statewide vote, but the part I don't get is what "nearest the rounding threshold" means. If they come up with 26 delegates after rounding, do they give the person with 1.9% the extra delegate instead of the person with 13.8%?

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

thrawn527 posted:

I, um...what?

So they give a percentage of the 27 delegates, based on the statewide vote, but the part I don't get is what "nearest the rounding threshold" means. If they come up with 26 delegates after rounding, do they give the person with 1.9% the extra delegate instead of the person with 13.8%?

If Candidate A is awarded 1.9, Candidate B has 1.4, and Candidate C has 1.2, then Candidate B would be awarded an additional delegate.

Candidate A needs .6 to reach the next rounding threshold. Candidate C needs .3. Candidate B only needs .1.

And Candidate B? That candidate.. is named Bernie.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Concerned Citizen posted:

If Candidate A is awarded 1.9, Candidate B has 1.4, and Candidate C has 1.2, then Candidate B would be awarded an additional delegate.

Candidate A needs .6 to reach the next rounding threshold. Candidate C needs .3. Candidate B only needs .1.

And Candidate B? That candidate.. is named Bernie.

Oh. I guess that makes sense (since Candidate A already got another delegate thanks to rounding).

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Big, if true.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I simply can't follow this as it's going on, it's just too much. When should I tune in to find out if the five bucks I put on Hilary winning paid off?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Joementum posted:

Big, if true.

We now go to Dr. Robotnik in Des Moines, Iowa

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

THA TITTY THRILLER posted:

A dumb, outdated reason for a dumb, outdated system.

Greatest country in the world.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

THA TITTY THRILLER posted:

We now go to Dr. Robotnik in Des Moines, Iowa

do you even know what Eggman looks like

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Ghetto Prince posted:

"The government of today has no right to tell us how to live our lives! Because the government of 200 years ago already did!"

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Ghetto Prince posted:

One uses it because they're a lapdog...one uses it because they're a wacky, insane quasi-dictatorship and who knows what they're going to do...and one of them is Burma :banjo:

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Joementum posted:

Big, if true.

We figured this out months ago, get it together fox.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Small correction to the OP, the three GOP state party leaders are also bound tonight based on proportional allocation. See Josh Putnam's (always excellent) explainer.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Vox Nihili posted:

https://www.opensecrets.org/pres16/contrib.php?cycle=All&id=N00000528&type of his corporate backing they're number three, so it'd be pretty weird of they were in the cabal to screwjob him.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Apologies if this has been already asked! Are there any good breaking news Twitter feed I can follow today that'll be reporting on the Caucus? I am a sucker for phone notifications.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I hope Trump wins it all, frankly. Hail gay Satan.

Ibogaine
Aug 11, 2015

smell this posted:

do you even know what Eggman looks like

Dr Robotnik is an innovator and visionary. You shouldn't reduce him to his slave name.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Tatum Girlparts posted:

https://www.opensecrets.org/pres16/contrib.php?cycle=All&id=N00000528&type of his corporate backing they're number three, so it'd be pretty weird of they were in the cabal to screwjob him.

$16000 in individual contributions, a fraction of what Clinton has likely received from that same pool.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Can't wait for Clinton/Cruz to happen and YCS to collectively melt down

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

District Selectman posted:

that single digit voter turnout is gonna be some tasty poo poo

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Jose posted:

We must know what the white people want, which is why we beg Iowa and New Hampshire to tell us. Iowa goes first because He Who Walks Behind The Rows must be heard.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Down by the Baucus
Where the gumdrops grow
Got a raukus in the caucus
That CSPAN just don't show

Fired up?

*crickets*

Ready for Hillary?

*crickets*

Republican Turnout?

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!

Jose posted:

Because you can't have America's #1 corn producer go first.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

District Selectman posted:

If Cruz doesn't win I hope dark sorcery gives it to JEB:( for maximum hilarity.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Today's Iowa Quinnipiac poll is out!

Trump 31
Cruz 24
Rubio 17

Trump leads with men by 14 points over Cruz. The support he loses with women goes to Rubio. First-timers for the GOP overwhelmingly support Trump because of immigration.

Sanders 49
Clinton 46
O'Malley 3

Sanders leads with people making under 50K 58-38 and with people under 45 74-23. First-timers overwhelmingly support Sanders while repeat caucusgoers support Clinton. The most important issue for Dem caucusgoers is healthcare.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Luigi Thirty posted:

Trump 31
Cruz 24
Rubio 17

Trump leads with men by 14 points over Cruz. The support he loses with women goes to Rubio. First-timers for the GOP overwhelmingly support Trump because of immigration.

Sanders 49
Clinton 46
O'Malley 3

Sanders leads with people making under 50K 58-38 and with people under 45 74-23. First-timers overwhelmingly support Sanders while repeat caucusgoers support Clinton. The most important issue for Dem caucusgoers is healthcare.

Donald Trump is the Republican Obama with the stylings of Reagan.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Luigi Thirty posted:

Trump 31
Cruz 24
Rubio 17

Taking this from what I posted in the Texas politics thread, and why I'm suspecting that Cruz might pull an upset:

(Cruz will win the Texas primary because) Cruz sucked every single dick of every single low-level tea party organizer across the whole damned state during his Senate bid. That was one of the main reasons he came out of nowhere to beat the ever-loving poo poo out of David Dewhurst, despite Dewhurst having more money and years more experience. The Texas Tribune crowd still talks about how Cruz showed up at pretty much any tea party function that had more than four people at it so he could get them on his side. I wouldn't be surprised if Ted Cruz has shaken the hands of more Republican primary voters in this state than the every other primary candidate combined, plus Rick Perry.

Cruz is pretty much a lock for Texas, and if the Republicans in Iowa are as susceptible to glad-handing as their Texan counterparts, I wouldn't be surprised if he pulls of an upset tonight (as he's been working at that same strategy over there for this primary).

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Ghetto Prince posted:

Maps like this always make Antarctica look fuckin massive. It's actually just a bit larger than the US or Europe, but it looks like the size of Eurasia at least here

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

pathetic little tramp posted:

Maps like this always make Antarctica look fuckin massive. It's actually just a bit larger than the US or Europe, but it looks like the size of Eurasia at least here

Also Africa is much, much larger than you imagine.

Mappo
Apr 27, 2009

AllanGordon posted:

Maybe some news org will have an internet stream of one.

C-Span had one for the 2012 Republican Caucus. I hope they do it again this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Watch the blizzard take down cell towers throughout Iowa and cause result reporting to be an immense, unknowable clusterfuck.

• Locked thread