Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will Trump get stumped?
Yes
No
#FeelTheBern
Baby Hitler
View Results

• Locked thread
Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
Well I'm off, time to vote caucus for Bernie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
I just got back, pretty decent sized caucus in Des Moines. 152 people, 9 delegates.

Bernie barely won my caucus with a bit under 52%, Hillary got the other 48%, literally zero votes for MOM. So, 5 delegates for Bernie from my caucus.

(pathetically, the chair had a printed statement from the MOM campaign, she asked if anyone wanted to read it, no one did, so she quickly read MOM's pitch to a room full of people who were not interested)

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Rand alPaul posted:

How do these things not turn violent?

There are always 1 or 2 nuts that everyone politely ignores. As long as the chair seems to be running things fairly and the count is accurate, 99% of us just want to get this silly thing over with and go home.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
Oh also, quick anecdote. At my caucus, the age difference was stark. There were a few young Hillary voters and a few older Sanders voters, but they were the exception.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
This right here on MSNBC is the big problem for Bernie. This precinct they are looking at is overwhelmingly Bernie territory, but they don't have many delegates.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
holy crap, that looks exhausting. I'm glad my caucus was done in 45 minutes. Not having any MOM or uncommitted voters so that every group was viable made it go quicker.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

biznatchio posted:

Be careful about getting excited about Bernie's 2% gap. His support is extremely centralized, which clips how many delegates he can get, and winning delegates is what actually wins the election.

Hillary only up by 2% in votes, but up by 15% in delegates.

He needs to get like 2/3 of the remaining delegates to win. He'll get a lot of them, but I don't think quite that much.

That is not the vote total. The vote total is not even reported out of the precincts, that is the % of delegates won.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
wow, that huge fieldhouse of people had only 6 delegates? My precinct in DSM (152 people showed up) awarded 9 delegates.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
It seems like out of all the people who were supporting longshots in the polls (Bush, Huckabee, Fiorina, etc), roughly half of them looked around when they walked in, saw no other supporters, and decided to vote for Cruz or Rubio.

Trump is nobody's 2nd choice, so he doesn't benefit from this change of heart

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
LOL, woops. A Bernie Sanders commercial just ran in DSM

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Boosted_C5 posted:

I hope you people making TRUMP STUMPED remarks enjoy this Cruz speech.

IF Trump somehow loses, THIS MAN will be your next president.

Lucky for you Trump WILL win NH and SC.

lol, Cruz is unelectable. If he's the nominee, the GOP will be annihilated.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Probably Magic posted:

None of these people are electable.

Rubio would be a dangerous opponent. He hides his terrible conservative beliefs well, and has a reasonably compelling life story to sell.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
MSNBC went "gently caress this, we're going to Hillary". Fox is confused, went split screen but kept Cruz's audio

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
It makes more sense now why its taking forever for some precincts.

At my precinct, we all showed up, someone said she was the temporary chair and its now time to nominate a permanent chair to run the caucus. She knew what she was doing, so we obviously picked her, and she carried on with all the rules and procedure on how to run it.

Now, imagine we all show up somewhere, sit down, 7 pm comes and goes, and we're uncomfortably staring at each other going "uhhh, now what?" Eventually someone tries to figure out how to run a caucus, maybe someone else protests because no one with any semblance of authority (even if temporary) came in here, and it ends in a total clusterfuck, everyone goes home, and no one calls the Iowa Democrat party with any results.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Craptacular! posted:

If Iowa is going to continue using a caucus, the Democrats have to start using the method that the GOP does.

Republicans: Winner emerged fairly quickly with minimal fuss.

Democrats: "We lost three people", "stop the count, somebody is using the bathroom", "I dispute the count total," coin flips, delegates becoming delegates becoming delegates, network analysts who have been doing homework on this for month stumped at the procedures.

I will say that the GOP caucus is quick, efficient, and clear. In and out in 20-30 minutes, boom, done. When the Dems don't have a contest, I register as a republican for a day and its easy.

The way the Dems do it in Iowa is a pain in the rear end, and takes forever.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
If you take out the 3 precinct delegates Clinton won by a coin flip, Sanders would be up by 1 single precinct delegate right now.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
There's only 10 precincts left uncounted, but given that Clinton is up by 0.3% on precinct delegates, she probably "won" the Iowa caucus if we absolutely have to split the razor-thin margin and declare a winner.

Not counting unbound superdelegates, its pretty much a tie though, they should get about the same number of voter-chosen state delegates.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Vox Nihili posted:

TBF the coin flip thing is mind-bogglingly idiotic and deserves its fair share of condemnation.

You can't award half a delegate. Someone has to win, how else do you break a tie other than a coin flip?

Northjayhawk has issued a correction as of 03:38 on Feb 3, 2016

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

remusclaw posted:

Is there any reason why they shouldn't just drop a contested delegate, send one less?

Yes. That precinct earned that delegate because of the percentage that voted democratic in the last election. (The Dems in Iowa reward precincts who vote democrat and punish precincts that don't).

Its also why you can't combine half-delegates from different precincts and send the one guy, that community earned the representation, you can't take one away just because they happened to split evenly on the presidential preference. You have to find a fair way to break the tie and give the spot to someone standing in that room.

There really is no option other than a game of chance, and anything other than a coin flip is stupid because people don't walk around with decks of cards or dice in their pockets.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

fishmech posted:

That would mean sending 0 delegates.

You only need to do tiebreakers in single delegate precincts.

You also need to break ties when a precinct has an odd number of delegates.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Vox Nihili posted:

Wow, people really will defend anything. Award a half delegate to each or just award it to undecided.

Or we could just flip a coin, which makes a lot more sense than keeping track of "half a delegate". We're not talking about sophisticated educated people working within the party apparatus, these are whoever shows up from the neighborhood, we need X names written down on a piece of paper stating that these people were chosen as county delegates, and hopefully they all show up at the county caucus next month.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Vox Nihili posted:

But there's no reason you couldn't send someone as unassigned.

Yes, there is. "Unaffiliated" is its own preference group. My caucus had literally zero unaffiliated voters, and thats not going to be uncommon, people who are willing to show up and endure an hour or more of bullshit probably have an opinion.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Vox Nihili posted:

Makes more sense than giving away extra votes by chance. It would be trivial to set up assignment rules that don't rely on that and it's endlessly amusing that people think the current way is in any way defensible.

Your opinion on this issue is objectively wrong.

The primary purpose of the caucus is not to indicate a preference for a presidential candidate, it is to elect county delegates who will ultimately elect the new state party leadership that will run the party in that state for the next 4 years. And oh by the way, I guess we also have this presidential nomination thing too, so lets throw that into the rules as a criteria for selecting delegates.

That precinct earned that number of delegates to help determine the future of the party in that state. You need to somehow pick those delegates from that room, and trying to determine who in the room might be truly "unbiased" in case of a tie is really dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

remusclaw posted:

Does this problem exist in the primary system? If not, maybe caucuses ought not be the way the presidential nomination is decided, tradition be damned.

For those who don't really care about the day to day operations of the party in the state, then primaries are obviously superior, more convenient, and caucuses may seem to be pretty dumb. The virtue of the caucus is that the grassroots can very easily throw everyone out, seize control of the party, and elect new leaders. In a state with primaries..... its harder to throw the leaders out. If you don't like the way your state Democratic or Republican party is being run in a primary state, they are more entrenched and less accountable to party members.

• Locked thread