Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will Trump get stumped?
Yes
No
#FeelTheBern
Baby Hitler
View Results

• Locked thread
fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Thump! posted:

MOM and Trump getting into an actual fight would be the best thing.

O'Malley can clearly beat up all other candidates, and most world leaders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

Why did they get rid of the Iowa Straw Poll this time around? I forget.

The candidates refused to participate

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

PostNouveau posted:

Are the Iowa caucuses the dumbest thing about the presidential elections? The electoral college is pretty bad, but I don't think it ever affects the outcome.

The Iowa Caucus rarely affects the outcome, other than knocking out the very weak candidates that can't even manage a share of Iowa's tiny amount of delegates.

Here's a fun fact, in 1992, Bill Clinton lost Iowa to Tom Harkin, New Hampshire to Paul Tsongas, Maine to Jerry Brown, and South Dakota to Bob Kerrey. (Those were the first 4 primaries/caucuses, in order, that year)

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Vox Nihili posted:

TBF the coin flip thing is mind-bogglingly idiotic and deserves its fair share of condemnation.

No more so then everything else about the Iowa caucus. For instance, picking cards out of a deck to decide was done in at least one precinct in the 1992 or 2004 primaries. I forget which one.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Northjayhawk posted:

You can't award half a delegate. Someone has to win, how else do you break a tie other than a coin flip?

Allowable alternative methods include:
- picking cards
- rolling dice
- rock paper scissors (best out of 3 if there's a tie)

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Fuschia tude posted:

Why not? All you need then is one more half delegate from another precinct to add up to one from each campaign.

It's against the rules. Precincts must return whole number delegates.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

remusclaw posted:

Is there any reason why they shouldn't just drop a contested delegate, send one less?

That would mean sending 0 delegates.

You only need to do tiebreakers in single delegate precincts.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

remusclaw posted:

But if its a tie, shouldn't that be the net result anyway?

No, are you high or somethin'? Removing their representation means everyone there is hosed over.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Can a delegate chosen at a caucus decide to go against their assignment (ie. a faithless elector)?

They can, but it's rare. They get picked because they were one of the biggest proponents of their candidate at the meeting, not just some guy who was like "I like this candidate I guess".

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

losonti tokash posted:

The stuff reported on the websites is the preliminary data either from the reporting app or when they called in to give the info to an actual person. The final numbers come from the tally sheets filled out by each precinct chair and signed off by representatives of the campaigns. The chairs send those to the state party via the mail. The discrepancies are almost certainly due to human error when they reported the totals.

And in addition, there's been discrepancies practically every year, because precincts get run by pretty much random people in nearly 1700 locations, with not even a manual voting machine to simplify recordkeeping.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Pragmatica posted:

I'm not clutching to anything, and I'm not some disillusioned BernieBro. I just moved to Iowa, and this was my first caucus here coming from a state that does regular primary ballots. It was a really interesting experience overall and had a ton of fun prepping and volunteering. I got to meet some awesome people, and ended up with some new neighborhood contacts that I wouldn't have met without the caucus experience. But... I think the IDP should have called it a tie and left it at that.

Except there was a clear winner.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Nanomashoes posted:

"Clear" by a margin that triggers automatic recounts in any normal election.

But this is a caucus, so it's a clear winner. Please try to keep up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Thump! posted:

And you wonder why nobody here likes you.

I don't wonder why sore losers don't like me.

• Locked thread