Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

What's a PI? Private Investigator? 3.14? That little raspberry thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Cage posted:

So what happened after you complained?

:chanpop: :thurman: :chanpop:

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

This job is becoming like the one I quit to come here. Demonstrate competence and efficiency and watch everyone go out of their way to pile more of their work on you. Four guys doing plate inspection in lathe department and now most of their poo poo (which is easy as hell to check with a micro hite) comes to me. Meanwhile they grabass and gently caress around with the FARO arm and generally accomplish nothing. I've had 6 jobs piled on today, none of which I have a CMM program for. On top of that I'm meant to program the website and also learn solidworks and program a 2D optical comparator 'because he knows computers'. No poo poo Sherlock, I have a CS degree, that doesn't mean I know every loving niche piece of horrible poo poo software you can throw at me within 10 seconds.

I have another guy in the CMM lab with me, but he generally makes a career out of every part he gets, and I don't know how to run those machines yet. (PC-DMIS vs Calypso). Watch them lay his rear end off and just throw a new CMM software at me and expect everything to 'just work'. :bang:

Feels like it's time to leave.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Man, I just don't have the energy in me to do a 1.5 hour spin session. I'm gonna sit this one out playing dragon age. I'm so loving tired from all the running and swimming and biking that I just want to chill ffs. Also no more coffee at work with all the lovely creamer and sugar means my weight is dropping like a rock. Down 4 lbs since Monday. Diet is such an rear end in a top hat for how much it affects you, and not just with weight. I've cut way back on all the poo poo I was eating now that I'm out of the woods with regards to teetotaling. Haven't touched a boozes since Dec 31st. Now to keep on track with not eating like poopie.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Super Aggro Crag posted:

First time driving a RWD car in the snow. Way more slidey than my Cobalt, but way easier to correct when it did slide.

Got an interview next Friday with a conpany that fixes Xerox machines and poo poo.

Looking forward to you pissily posting about how you thrashed a wheel on your genny while nailing a sick drift and feeling the euphoria of taking a turn at WOT in the snow. :allears:

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

ilkhan posted:

So basically everybody with a brain stem.
Good for you.

Give all your money to be government, they'll handle things.
Why isn't the gov handling my things? :argh:

Because he quit his job and uses weasel words on here to paint himself as the victim, even though quitting automatically disqualifies you from receiving UI benefits.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

My galaxy s4 has been trucking along for the last 3 years pretty well. I'm sure it will now promptly die since I've mentioned it in a positive light.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

This thread had reddit chat earlier, I think. The worst part right now is the loving Sanders echo chamber. I didn't care about him before, but now I loving hate him and his fanbase. I'm sure the venn diagram of Sanders fanbois and Elon Musk knob-gobblers overlaps almost completely. I guess since the death of Steve Jobs these loving people need some celebrity idolize.

Also, hearing about Sanders: I feel like I've heard less grandiose promises 8 and 4 years ago that, like these, have gone unfulfilled.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Kastein, so the black cherry 1991 2 door cherokee laredo 4x4 5sp was rare? It was pretty nice, but shifting it was like a stick in a box of marbles, god that thing was so vague. M'learner vehicle.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Pro-click right here. I use this at work every day. There are so many amazing features in this software. I usually use it do select section views with the 'camera' and then print them out so I can do my trig on them. Schlumberger is notorious for making section views that have to be trigged out to get their co-ordinate values if you don't want to program things in polar coordinates.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

mariooncrack posted:

Texas goons, I may be going to Houston next month. Are there any restaurants to check out? I don't know where I'll be staying but I'll be working at the MD Anderson hospital.

Ask here, in the Houston thread

I live in this shithole, but nowhere near the Med Center. I will say that you will never, ever, hurt for food options in Houston. Everyone is fat as poo poo for a reason.

/\ /\ Kratom? WTF is half that poo poo he's talking about? Drugs are weird.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

So, you've traded one vice for another? You're like the Lance Armstrong of smokable plants. Toking up the new poo poo they don't have tests for yet. Maybe you could work with Jan Bruyneel coming up with new doping schemes. You seem to have a knack for it.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Lightbulb Out posted:

14'' posts car content of a variety of types.

SAC complains that he can't hold a job and he put a sticker on his Genny.

Can't wait to hear about him putting the dude humping IT sticker on his back window at a jaunty angle.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Went to move some parts from one bike to another and found one of the cats pissed on my metric allen wrench set. Welp, I was looking for an excuse to get some ball-nose allen wrenches. Butthead cats.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I'm just going to drop the whole wrench set in the ultrasonic parts washer at work and call it a day.

My desire to become a SAG(support and gear) driver for some of my rides is intensifying. I have a hitch rack with a two bike rack, and having another two on the roof would be perfect. I started looking for roof rack setups for my impreza and found this:

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Vday sucks because my Wife's birthday is only two days after. At least we don't really do anything for Vday and end up combining it with her birthday most of the time anyway. Ended up making Pćo de queijo with artichoke, hearts of palm and bacon along with filet for her and peppercorn new york strip for me . Veggies were rosemary sweet potato fries for her and roasted redskins for me. Topped off with about...two bigass toblerones. Basically the whole Brazilian steakhouse experience without having to deal with restaurants on a day like Valentines.

Spent the rest of the weekend playing dragon age 2. This game feels like a loose collection of side quests. I'm unsure where I am in the game simply because I have no big thing to kill like an arch-demon. The characters range from cute and dorky (Merrill) to loving annoying emo rear end in a top hat (that elf dude with lyrium in his skin). As a female mage, I took it upon myself to romance the poo poo out of Isabela because she's loving hot.

:goonsay:

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

literally a fish posted:

Adding my voice to the chorus of OH DEAR LORD GO SEE DEADPOOL

It's absolutely perfect. I can't think of any way I would improve it.

Do you have to like the comic book to enjoy it? I never read comics and don't have any reference for deadpool outside of the reddit echo chamber showing cosplayers doing *zany thing* in that costume. I liked the first ironman and the first avengers, if that helps. The rest of the comic movies I could take or leave.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

KozmoNaut posted:

The soundtrack is by Tom Holkenborg aka. Junkie XL, who also did the Mad Max: Fury Road soundtrack.

Not at all. I've never read a Deadpool comic apart from clippings posted here and there, and I still enjoyed it immensely.

Cosplayers thinking they're cool by doing *zany things* in a Deadpool costume at a con is a completely different thing compared to Ryan Reynolds actually being funny as poo poo as Deadpool.

The baby hand scene had me in stitches, as an example. The humor is very R-rated.

E: If nothing else, watch it because Morena Baccarin is ridiculously smokin' hot. God drat.

Well, I mean I'm sure the wife will enjoy it if RR loses his shirt at some point, which probably is a given for him.

E: she wants to see the movie RACE because it'll be about running. I told her if she thinks that movie will be more than tangentially related to running and less about it's title, I've got a bridge to sell her.
E2: I got dragged to see Unbreakable on Christmas day because it was going to be about running, since it was about Louie Zamparini. Yeah, it was about him being lost on the ocean and tortured in a Japanese POW camp. Why does she fall for Oscar-bait movies?

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Feb 15, 2016

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Welp, FUCK2016 is official for me. My Wife got a call from her Aunt on her birthday. The police entered my FIL's house and found him deceased. He lived alone in CA. We are both in shock, he was so fit and really quirky. What do I do now? I've never had to deal with losing a parent. Will we have to go out there I guess? Any help figuring out what to do would be appreciated. :negative: This sucks, he was so cool.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

mariooncrack posted:

Sorry man. I would suggest taking a breath and try to relax. The next week's and couple of months are going to be difficult. First, I would notify any relatives that your aunt hasn't already notified. You'll want to find out if he had a will. It will be easier if he did. If your relatives sucks, you may have to go and grab anything that's not nailed down.

Notify your work what's going on and be prepared to take some time off of work. There's not a lot you can do today but there will be plenty of things to do in the upcoming week. I'd start looking at flights or ways to get out there in the next few days.

Go out to dinner tonight with your wife. I find out best not to sit around and mope.

Thanks man :) I just got off the phone with the coroner. Apparently he was in an advanced state of decomposition and the parcel on his doorstep was post dated November. My aunt was right to suspect something was wrong. He was always kinda come & go with phone calls and where he lives seems kindof remote, so I guess phone service is spotty. Door was locked so no foul play suspected. We'll be flying out Thursday to take possession of stuff and search the place for a will. The police said they found none. I wonder if I need to buy a respirator, I can't imagine what 5 months of a decomposing person will do, but I'm sure I've seen awful stuff on the internet about it.

The coroner said the state can take care of the estate for 5% and at this point we're ready to take them up on it. I don't have the means to call servpro and disaster recover a dead body house. I also hope my wife's estranged sister doesn't come out of the woodwork with her hand out (drug addict/thief/HIV positive). I'll set aside 50% on the off chance she makes an appearance. Hopefully the home isn't in foreclosure by now, 5 months is a long time...

I don't know if I'm mentally prepared for this, but I'm going through the motions. I feel like I'm on an episode of CSI or some poo poo.

We're going to pack running clothes and do a 'Run for Dad' up there :unsmith:

E: I guess the last time we saw each other was over breakfast at Le Peep. If he's got a nice car, that poo poo's getting transported here. He used to have a Yukon back in the day...

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Feb 16, 2016

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

nm posted:

If there is a crackhead sister involved (she will have to be notifed, so you can't avoid that issue), you want a lawyer if there are any valuble assets.

I will def. have a lawyer involved. My wife tells me he has an oil property in Louisiana and he's been sitting pretty for a while now. I hope his brothers don't find out either. I really don't want to deal with 5 lawsuits all at once. Why did he have to not have a will? I hope braving that house with some tissue in my nose will yield something. I'm going to hope for the best and plan for the worst. The best = Me being an oil tycoon and peering over my monocle at all you plebs. Quite.:monocle:

Is it cold in the mountains outside L.A. This time of year?

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

nm posted:

Like where? Big bear? Yeah, there's snow.
Also, if I remember my wills and trusts class (i don't) basically all parties need to be notified or there may be an issue later. Talk to a lawyer who does this, because unless you killed him or accused of doing so, I'm not qualified to help here.

Also he might have a will. Many people don't store that stuff at home. Check lawyers and safe deposits.

Let this be a reminder to make a will (with a lawyer) if you have assets or kids and ffs let someone know where it is (lawyer's office or safe deposit box).

My wife says it's super not like him to not have a will. She suspects there will be a safe deposit box with that in it. He kept a p.o. box for his mail always. I don't even know what his address is! He lives in someplace called running springs, ca, I think. I'm thinking of doing an airbnb out there instead of staying in San Bernadino. That road out to there looks awesome though. Just look at it! Not even the twistiest roads in TX look close to that! I'm sure the rental corolla's gonna come back with tires looking like Falken Azenis on a spec miata :v:

He visited us a while back to make sure we understood what his patent means so we could 'carry on' his work. I didn't really clue into the way he was talking until today. My wife says if he had something terminal, there was no way he would have shared it with her. He seemed like he was holding something really important back, in retrospect. :shrug:

I'm just here to do logistics and be supportive for now. I'll mourn in my own time. All of this just feels so surreal.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

nm posted:

Be ready for snow. Check for chain restrictions. 330 will probably be pretty slow in the winter. Recommend an awd car so you can avoid chain control.
Also the Old Country Coffee Shop has a decent breakfast.

Thanks. My wife has celiac disease so finding breakfast that's just meat or eggs and fruit would be nice. Maybe that Saturday we can go explore LA. I haven't been to California in 17 years and I loved it when I lived there (VAFB/Lompoc/Santa Maria). If I live to retirement, it's either Arroyo Grande or Belize, for the places I want to retire. I love the Central Coast.

I rented a Focus. Weather looks to be in the mid 60°s. I haven't owned snow specific clothing since 1993, so I guess I'm hosed. Pack a wool peacoat? That's all I've got. Houston's like...Satan's sweaty taint hot most days.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

kastein posted:

I'm calling bullshit right now. There's no way the transmission died before the engine.

:agreed:

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Where's a nice place to go running in the greater L.A. area? I was thinking a nice boardwalk beach run since we're going to have a couple of days to explore LA. I was thinking near santa monica or maybe venice beach, even though it's a dump. Wife's never been to the Pacific.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Rhyno posted:

Awesome.

My siamese has had some bladder issues that have been treated by numerous vets and diagnosed as emotional problems. He's been pissing on stuff for as long as we've had him so we got him medicated. We smelled a faint pee smell today so we picked up an industrial black light and there is dry piss in every corner of the spare room where their litter and cat tree sits.

I love the little fucker but this is getting tiresome.

rear end in a top hat.

Try changing litters and pet him more?

We have a cat, Biscuit, who's a bit retarded. Okay, a lot retarded. He wasn't getting enough attention, so he decided he'd poo poo in the box of cat toys. After that we gave him lots of pats and all kinds of attention and it's really made him just go in the box. Keeping it scooped thrice a day helps too. One of our cats, PimPim, likes to piss on random stuff if the litter boxen aren't clean enough for her. It could be as simple as that. Hope that helps!
e: hey! Lookit that, while looking for pics of said cats, I found my old E46! What a nice car it was

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Feb 18, 2016

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Rhyno posted:

We have 4 litter pans, each with a different litter. He's sitting in my lap most of the time I am home, attention is never a problem. He lounges with the other cats half the day, they don't hate each other. We figure when we're gone he flips out and that's when he pees but there's nothing we can do about our schedules.

In that case.... nature's miracle is your friend. Dunno what else to say.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

jamal posted:

The north part of Santa monica has some good running. If you go up ocean to san vicente that is where a friend of mine lives, last time I was there I did some running around his place. there are lots of opportunities to go up and down stairs. There's a green strip down the center of san vicente and a park along ocean, and then the strand trail along the beach will get you all the way to venice, so if you'd prefer flat ground and the beach, you can start anywhere between marina del rey and pacific palisades.

https://www.strava.com/activities/110787924
https://www.strava.com/activities/110213044

Or, if you want to go hiking we used to always go to temescal canyon. There's a reasonable sized loop. And then up in the malibu mountains lots of trails and parks and fun driving. If you're out that way you should probably go to neptune's net to discuss what's happening after race wars.

Does that mean I can have delicious scrimps with Vin Diesel Toretto?

Thanks man. I'm really excited to be going back in Cali. I never got much time to spend in SoCal, most of my time was in the Bay Area and the Central Coast. I'm happy that most of the places we need to go are close on Sat/Sun so we can just go out and explore.

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Feb 18, 2016

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

At the airport in Houston... My theme song be like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wBTdfAkqGU

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Yesterday was... interesting.

The bad: the house smells, but not as wretchedly as I expected. It's kindof like bad old dog food. I thought it would be more like road kill in the sun. I guess him being a vegetarian and quite skinny helped. The house is huge and full of strange stuff he built. He was always eccentric and messy, so there's piles of paperwork everywhere and random little machines he made. It's so bizarre. I have to fix the door frame from where the sheriff kicked it in. My FIL had barracaded all the doors with homemade wooden barricades. I now know what a decomposing body does to carpeting. My wife has been in various stages of meltdown all day. From the medications and books we found, it's somewhere between heart problems, prostate problems, or liver problems as to what took him.

The good: the house is huge and the neighbor we spoke to said that the property should go for $400-$600K, after fixing. We found all of his account numbers and logons! I won't touch any of it, but at least I can start figuring out who is owed what. Also, gently caress charter. They left 38 out of the 44 messages on his answering machine. He has a safe deposit box, but I'm unsure whether we'll be granted access. The will is very likely in that box.

I need to buy an ozone generator because that wierd dog food smell does truly get into everything. I dunno what the legality of removing anything is, but I will try to arrange to have his laptop and desktop transported to houston. All of his research for his patent is on those machines and he was adamant the last time we saw him that we keep track of that stuff. There was also paperwork in his office for a trust. Hopefully we can figure some of this out.

It's amazing how big a hole one man can make in other people's lives. The morbid reality of walking through a dead man's house is a heavy burden to bear. We'll be in touch with an estate attorney today after some helpful advice from some nice goons. Today after that I need to fix his door frame and striker plate so the house is somewhat secure.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

KozmoNaut posted:

It's a very strange feeling, it feels very transgressive, like you're trespassing into something private that should be left alone.

Exactly. I felt horrible paging through his old tax returns. I kept expecting to hear *geeeeet ouuuuuuut* whispering from the house.

To bring it back to something car-related: the 330 highway up into the forest is a loving riot to drive on. I'm in a little shitbox yaris. It has the benefit of being pretty light so it doesn't feel that pokey with it's 4spd automatic. I was caning the poo poo out of it up the mountain and the cute little thing was trying to engine brake on the way down. :3:

How to hell do you get comfortable in of those things anyway? I have the seat all the way back and all the way down and it's not like I'm a leggy guy, I'm all torso, so it's like driving a goddamn box truck for legroom. My knees are up and my arms are all out like a Ferrari test driver. I'll just pretend I'm in Kimbo's white Ferrari the rest of the weekend...

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

meatpimp posted:

An estate attorney is the best idea. It's okay to look through his stuff, he's not going to use it any longer. The logins are fine, but just keep a look-don't-touch zoo mentality until you get things sorted.
Also, public records are your friend, if you're wondering about mortgage and stuff, the county recorder's office has all of that info, often searchable online.

You missed a key point -- what did he drive?

I love you guys :glomp: He drove the same beat-rear end 1999 yukon that I remember from when I first met him. I was considering transporting his car to Houston if it was a newer SUV or subie or whatever, but yeah, a 17 year old truck? I think I'll just let the estate take care of it unless someone else has a better idea.

Gives credibility to the "chevies run poorly longer than most cars will run at all"

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

You're looking for a VTL, not a vertical mill. Vertical Turning Lathes spin large parts with the axis of rotation being vertical. Vertical mills have the parts stationary and the spindle of the machine turns and it's axis of rotation is up and down. There are of course exceptions, but you're looking for a VTL.

e: not a VTL, but CNC programming can be tricky...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_2HIUa3puk

Those were some loving aggressive cuts, omg.

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 19, 2016

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

bolind posted:

FB vid doesn't load for me. :(

honestly you just hear the spindle pick up speed and then there's a flash and a camera shake and the video is over. Nothing super exciting.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

That endmill was at the perfect feed&speed for that depth of cut and material. I love that sound and could listen to it all day. There's dudes at the shop that have been there for 30+ years. They'll load&touch off their parts, hit cycle start and sit back in their chair with their eyes closed and just listen. They'll occasionally open an eye and fiddle with the feed rate, and then go back to listening. These are guys cutting API threads, just sitting there listening.

For perspective, the younger guys fuss and fret all day about getting their setups just right, check out 7 gauges to check one thread and go way over time on the job, and still aren't qualified to cut an API cutback. Whenever one of the old salty dogs retires he takes such a huge depth and breadth of knowledge with him.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Great Job!

I'm sore and smell vaguely of death. Wife and her sister are co-trustees. Hopefully that means we'll be debt free in a couple of months. Going back to Houston today and can't wait to pet all the kitties. We're both so mentally blown.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

literally a fish posted:

That's awesome news! (You found the will, then?)

lovely situation, for sure, but at least some good has come of it :3:

The trust was the will. It's a miracle we even found it. The police didn't understand it, and niether did we. He hired a trust/probate attorney to read that thing and understand it. Everything my FIL owned was in the trust and the trust basically paid his living expenses. He was a very clever man, although I did find some documents that indicate he got fleeced by some rear end in a top hat in Bratislava for a patent registration. At any rate, I'm happy I won't have to file probate stuff in CA, that lawyer was worth his weight in gold because he's helping take care of the home sale process as well.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Dammit, Meatpimp. Now the white knights are gonna brigade in here to help the one known woman in here.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I know there's a few posters on here that do ozone stuff, what was the unit you guys were using? Was it this one: amazon

I have a bunch of paperwork, tax returns, and a laptop I need to get a very horrible odor out of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

meatpimp posted:

That looks like an updated version of the one I use. Works great.

Their website is borderline 9/11 truther/silverbugs/forwards from Grandma with their rantings about the govt. Will the ozone destroy the strange rubberized coating on on the plastic on the bottom of a laptop? they say no soft rubber stuff. This is like that VW/E46 rubberized coating stuff. If that makes any sense.

• Locked thread