Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
I drove 850km (530ish miles) today in the Fiesta

oh please bring the sweet embrace of death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

Rhyno posted:

It's cheaper to keep your kid home from school and have him pump the brakes than it is to buy a MightyVac.

they're US$41 with Prime shipping

Yes this isn't the big fancy compressed air powered one that can probably bleed eight cars a minute or some poo poo, but it does a perfectly good job with just a few squeezes of the vac pump

E: Even one of the vacuum powered ones is like $75

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

Extra posted:

these are terribly made pieces of junk please do not buy them ty

Get this one instead:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002SQYUA/

The plastic one I bought a month ago works great :v: (Also they don't sell the metal one in AU for some reason. Straight from 60AUD plastic kit to $350AUD professional compressed air powered kit.)

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

Slavvy posted:

I am now two days weed free and the constant state of existential dread and stressed out worry are threatening to make me change my mind about this whole clean living thing.

The question here is whether the "existential dread and stressed out worry" (aka anxiety) is a result of weed tolerance/aftereffects, or the result of your brain not being properly equipped to deal with modern society

It's hard to tell without help from mental health professionals (or spending at least a couple weeks weed-free)

This is the case with a lot of mind-altering substances though (prescription or no) - I was on SSRIs for a while and if I didn't get the timing right or I missed a day i felt like complete and utter shite.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

Nodoze posted:

Getting penalized for not having health insurance is loving bullshit, god damnit I hate america

I'm pretty sure we had this conversation already last thread with Rhyno and concluded that no, it's not actually bullshit.

Darchangel posted:

Whoops, sorry, lost the thread there.
And yeah, I agree. Maybe they should just put people who can't afford healthcare in debtor's prison next.

Or, you know, resolve the fact that it's possible to literally not be able to afford to stay alive in the US.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

It's a messed up situation. While running through the prelims on my tax stuff I was owing on federal and state, being told that I didn't get any tax credits for my two children on account of being too much of a successful white Anglo Saxon Protestant only to have the question of whether all members (4) of my household carried health insurance all year, which was a yes. That swung the needle about five grand in the opposite direction. I have no idea what to think :psyduck:

It swung the needle because as mentioned last time if you don't have health insurance that just means the state is picking up your tab when you inevitably land up in the ICU for 3 weeks because of what would have been a simple infection treated with a pack of antibiotics that turned into a life-threatening systemic infection because you didn't go to a GP because you didn't have health insurance.

And you're going to say "no, I pick up the tab in the form of a huge debt" and I'll refer you to a bunch of posts in TGD and on elise the great's blog that point how no hospital can decline care for someone coming into an ER and if you can't pay the state will ultimately pick up the tab when you declare bankruptcy.

The state probably ought to consider funding free health care as it has been conclusively shown in literally every other first world country to be the correct choice but NAH MUH FREE MARKET MUH CAPITALISM GOTTA LET THE BIG OLE CORPORATIONS MAKE THEIR MONEY, gently caress THE LITTLE GUY HEY?

Oh yeah and your lovely attitude of "mmhm yes it's a messed up situation" -proceeds to do nothing whatsoever and/or make it worse-

Please excuse the rant (i touched the poo poo, i shouldn't have touched the poo poo) but holy gently caress am I sick of this argument.

I'm gonna leave it at that since we pretty comprehensively covered every point last time.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

Darchangel posted:

I was being facetious.
I'm with you on the rest of what you said. We're kind of brainwashed in the US against "gubmint interference" despite state and fed governments administering almost everything that makes what civilization we have possible. We've gotten so extreme left and right that there is no middle, and no compromise. We are hosed until something like intelligence reappears in our governments.

Oops, my bad :( it's kinda hard to tell these days...

kastein posted:

Won't matter at all though, because those idiots just get all their info from echo chambers full of nonsense and spew it forever and don't really listen.

My dad's started in on the antivaxxer poo poo now. All these crazy loving conspiracy theories link to each other and nothing fact/reason based. JET FUEL DOESN'T MELT THIMEROSAL, MANNNNNN

JET AUTISM CAN'T MELT FREE HEALTHCARE

Gorson posted:

American Truck Sim came out today. Who is playing it?

how does it differentiate from euro truck sim other than map? (serious question)

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

Somewhat Heroic posted:

…so you're mad at me for doing my part in the system of insuring myself and my family? And paying an absolute shitload of taxes? I wasn't even being hostile about the situation I was just empathizing with forums poster Nodoze that it's a messed up situation.

I should clarify that I was referring to America in general, not you specifically.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

Somewhat Heroic posted:

That makes me feel marginally better. Totally aware the system is mucked up. People hate on the wealthy, I don't mind if others have more than me. I plan on being wealthy and self sufficient in life. I don't want to rely on the government to take care of me.

It's not about relying on the government to take care of you - it's that you shouldn't have to worry about whether you'll be able to afford treatment if you get cancer, for example. You shouldn't have to choose between sending your kids to college and being able to live a reasonable distance from your place of work, for example.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

So no surprise but essentially my words were clearly blown out of context. Dudes I'm just wanting to get in a position in life where I've earned/saved/invested enough money to not work all the drat time just to pay the bank. I'm not mad about paying taxes past/present/future. I've paid taxes my whole life and that isn't going to change. Am I alone in wanting to make an honest living to achieve such a life?

I think we're aggressively agreeing here. But you're misunderstanding the entire purpose of a social support and security system; it's not about kicking back and taking handouts, it's about providing functional and efficient infrastructure services (power, water, communications, transport networks), ensuring that under no circumstances does anyone have to consider whether they can afford medical treatment, nobody has to worry about whether they'll be able to afford to send their children to a good school, etc etc.

It's about providing a guarantee of a basic quality of life, even if you have the worst luck in the world. A friend of mine a few years back lost his mom because his family couldn't afford the cost of treating her liver cancer, and even if they could have it wasn't detected until it was too late because she couldn't afford to pay for regular visits to their family doctor. No insurance would cover her because of a pre-existing joint condition, and her no longer being married to his dad.

Nobody should have to watch their mother die because the insurance companies couldn't be sure they'd make a profit off her.

Almost all essential services and public infrastructure are incredibly hard to make money on, especially when your shareholders want an increased year-on-year profit every single quarter, and as much as you might not like to admit it, healthcare is an essential service. (So is the internet, for that matter.) That's why the healthcare landscape in the US sucks so much. When your [essential service] is run by an organization that is publicly funded and has no requirement to do anything other than provide [essential service] as cheaply and effectively as possible, it does a much better job.

Imagine a world where you don't have to worry about being fired for reporting the pizza place you deliver for to the department of health for their dozen horrifying violations, because not only is it illegal for them to do that, but even if they found another reason to fire you, you'd be guaranteed a payment from the government (not a lot of money, but enough to get by) as long as you show that you're trying to find a new job.

A world where you visit the doctor every three months for a general check-up and bloodwork, and it doesn't cost you a dime.

A world where 14" starts feeling really weird and coughing up strange looking globs of mucous, so he goes to his regular doctor who knows him and knows that he's not a meth addict, walks out with a prescription that costs him nothing, and he's back at work and healthy within a couple of days instead of waiting until it gets so bad that he can hardly see straight (thus developing a horrifying systemic staph infection), bouncing between four different ERs, being told four different things and losing his mind over seeing things that may or may not be real in his blood.

A world where you fire up your internet connection and it's fast, cheap, and reliable, with good customer service and excellent response times, and you don't have to gently caress around with four different companies to find the one in your area who actually knows what the christ they're doing.

A world where you can just straight drink your tap water without having to worry about whether it's safe or in fact full of all kinds of heavy metal oxides

A world where the roads are well maintained, smooth, clean, and have well-designed and well-synchronized light cycles.

A world where the rail and public transport network is clean, quiet, efficient, runs on time, and runs often.

There are a lot of things it just doesn't make sense to operate privately, yet the US insists that "the free market will sort it out".

Ask TerribleRobot how the free market is doing sorting out his internet. It's TYOOL 2016 and he gets maybe 1-2mbps on a fixed line. His freakin' mobile phone is faster. But there's no competition, so CenturyLink have no incentive to upgrade the infrastructure. If it was a publicly operated wholesale utility (like we're setting up with NBNco down here... though that's a giant can of worms i don't want to open right now) they'd be required to provide him with a better service because their goal as an organization would be "provide the best broadband service that is practical to as many americans as possible".

Ask Rhyno how the free market did sorting out his health insurance.

MrChips posted:

Also I don't know if you realise it but literally every second you are alive, whether you are sleeping or not, you are relying on the government to take care of you, so that's the biggest, most immature crock of poo poo argument I've ever heard.

^^^ This. At the risk of sounding conspiracy theorist-y, "i don't want to rely on the government" is exactly what the government wants you to think, because it lets them palm off management of things they ought to be managing to lovely private companies.

I mean for fucks' sake, you pay some EMTs worse than some fast food workers.

It's not about giving everyone a free ride. It's about making sure everyone has the ability to take advantage of every opportunity they get, and nobody has to be afraid of their employer or their bank.

But you know all this, most of you, anyway. You all know the capitalist free market utopia crap is, well, crap. It doesn't work. All you have to do is look around you to observe it not working.

Hell, I'm not saying Australia is doing this right either. We've privatized far too many of our infrastructure industries, raised the cost of education (though at least our student loans are zero-interest and don't require any payments until you make over $45k-ish per year) and thrown enough government handouts at our labor unions to completely price ourselves out of the manufacturing market, amongst other things.

And our current government sure would like to make things even more like they are in the US, because we're total idiots and elected our equivalent of the republicans, but that's a whole other story.

At least I won't go bankrupt if I get cancer.

literally a fish fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Feb 3, 2016

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
There's a presidential ballet? I want to see trump pirouette

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

ilkhan posted:

Your post is a wonderful fantasy, but until we get to a literal post-scarcity world (and I mean literally unlimited energy on demand, cures for every disease/condition/trauma, unlimited land, and turning radioactive dirt into whatever goods/foods we want with 0 effort 24/7/365 anywhere) its just a fantasy. And even then humans will find something to fight over. There is no utopia just around the corner.

Tusen Takk posted:

It's a "fantasy" that works very well in places such as Sweden, Norway, Denmark except they're real

Americans seem to think that because this can't all be achieved in one fell swoop, it's completely impossible and will never happen. Which, again, is exactly what your government wants you to think, because it means they ain't gotta do poo poo for you.

Every major reform seemed impossible at the outset. It seemed impossible to end black slavery. It seemed impossible that women would be allowed to vote. It seemed impossible that the US would legalize same-sex marriage.

Hell, it seems impossible to implement gun control, but that'll happen in time.

At first glance, it seems impossible to have a United States of America where health care is free and infrastructure is publicly-run and efficient. But it's not. Plenty of other first world nations have these things. You can too. All you have to do is start taking steps in the right direction.

The utopia is not just around the corner. I never said it was, and nobody will say it is. It will not be quick. It will not be easy. but it is possible.

A good start would be not electing a Republican as your next president, probably.

E: I need to reiterate that I am not saying you can solve all your problems overnight. But you can solve them, if you stop listening to the 1%ers telling you to give up.

America can be the bright shining beacon of freedom and hope that she claims to be, that she once was. America can be the greatest country in the world again.

But none of this will happen if you don't stand up and do whatever you can, no matter how small, to make it happen.

E2:

the spyder posted:

Randomly watching youtube and found a fellow who reviews/tears down random cheap chinese electronics. Neat enough, until I came to this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wR6g38Pxwog

:catstare:

Big Clive is awesome. He also has one of the oldest nerd-rear end websites on the internet, http://bigclive.com/ - he's definitely quite crazy, but he knows his poo poo, for the most part.

If you like his stuff you'll like Mike, too - http://electricstuff.co.uk/ / https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?mikeselectricstuff?videos

literally a fish fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Feb 3, 2016

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

Raluek posted:

Are you saying that we need to elect someone to Make America Great Again?

I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE. :v:

I'm saying you need to do more than just vote. Life's given you lemons, and you need to GET MAD! MAKE LIFE TAKE THE LEMONS BACK!

(authorized by Cave Johnson for President)

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Literally a Fish drops mic and walks of stage. If you ever come up to Sydney, drop on by.

I didn't expect to be half as coherent as I was :v:

Funny you mention that, I'm actually in Coledale (just about 20 mins north of Wollongong) until the 13th.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

corn in the fridge posted:

Why do you say this?

The Oxford English Dictionary defines 'to grok' as "to understand intuitively or by empathy; to establish rapport with" and "to empathize or communicate sympathetically (with); also, to experience enjoyment".

It's a word, Corn. :v:

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

Enourmo posted:

Yeah CO2 is like the one gas you really don't have to worry about consciously.

It's actually considered a non-toxic gas, in AU at least, as you'll leave the area with an earsplitting headache long before it kills you :v:

Still considered an asphyxiant though, as a large enough volume will suffocate you from oxygen depletion, but non-toxic.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

Enourmo posted:

I feel like that was revealed a long time ago, I guess it was just speculation if they're still not fessing up though.

I didn't know about the truck seats, good to see some use came out of the technology.

There's a sonar system in the front bumper of the car to detect the road surface in front. I don't really see how that's a "reveal"...

The jump was definitely staged, it wouldn't do that by itself, but the picking up over speedbumps/concrete obstacles was normal.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
I spent a whole bunch of time driving around north of Sydney today (st. ives, newport and the like) with a couple of friends from a forum i used to frequent and it was maaaaaad.

(oh yeah I should probably remind CAT INTERCEPTOR that I am in Coledale, 20 mins north of wollongong, until Friday :v: since I don't think you noticed the first post where I mentioned it)

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
Reddit Enhancement Suite (browser extension) makes it suck a lot less. But yeah, it sucks.

quick edit: also, http://imgur.com/r/justrolledintotheshop - click on the "source" link if you want details on each pic, done.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

PaintVagrant posted:

Bummer. Surprising nobody has written a good "phone to forums" app or some equivalent. The various imgur apps are garbage.

My solution is this:
code:
[url=http://i.imgur.com/fullsize_version.jpg][img]http://i.imgur.com/version_with_L_on_end.jpg[/img][/url]
This gives you the low-res image in-thread, but if someone clicks on it, it loads full-res into a new tab. You can also just copy/paste imgur's "Linked BBCode" and add an L into their [img] tag's filename, which links to the fullsize image's imgur page instead of direct to the fullsize jpg, but laziness.

Someone should badger whoever makes the Awful app into adding direct imgur upload / pasting of that bbcode as a feature.

cat terrist/interceptor: Hmm. Looks like it'd be about two hours to where you are, and i'm completely knackered from yesterday :( there is good news though, we're probably going to buy a holiday house around here (so i'll be up more often) :sun: :getin:

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
Apologies for the double post... It looks like Awful already has some form of image upload capability.

Let's see how that goes.

E: Okay, it just links direct to hi-rez with a timg tag. Womp womp. Who develops this app anyway? They've already added the upload-to-imgur feature, changing how it pastes the bbcode shouldn't be too hard.

For those of you who don't know it can even do this, compose a post, tap on the text area like you want to copy or paste, then tap on the little arrow on the right. One of the options should now be [img]. It'll let you pick a photo from your on-iPhone library (or take a photo), upload it, and [timg] it for you.

Even without my preferred bbcode this is pretty useful.

literally a fish fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Feb 7, 2016

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

gently caress spending 3.5 hours for 12 minutes of actual playtime. At least AFL actually has sport happening most of the time.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

leica posted:

Hyperbole bullshit.

See, you can say that, but I'm not seeing any data to back it up. This seems pretty conclusive.

Even if all 60 minutes of clock time was spent actually playing the game broadcasts would still only be 30% actual gameplay, and there would still be more commercials than content.

E: ^^ The clock can run even when the ball isn't doing poo poo.

literally a fish fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Feb 8, 2016

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
From here

quote:

This is one of the most common misconceptions about football. 95% of football fans will say the clock stops when the ball goes out of bounds, just like your friends did. It’s not true. They are either avoiding a complex answer or they’ve never even noticed that it’s not true!

[snip]

There are three main possibilities for how the game clock is dealt with after a play ends.
  1. It continues to run
  2. It stops until the ref places the ball on the ground in the spot where the next play should begin
  3. It stops until the next play begins
[snip]

As a default, the game clock continues to run.

And the key point;

quote:

If a ball carrier goes out of bounds with the ball, the game clock temporarily stops. For most of the game, the game clock restarts when the ref places the ball on the ground where the next play will begin.

Note that's not when the play actually begins, but when the ref puts the ball down. There's a couple exceptions to this, but I won't quote the whole drat article. Article also links to the relevant NFL rules.

If you like it, you like it, sure, but that doesn't change the ridiculous ratio of playtime to not-playtime.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

leica posted:

Fox News is the #1 news source in the US, I don't think it would be in that spot if it was ridiculous in any way...

Being the most popular doesn't make it good.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
Read my post again.

Fox News is (still, as of March 2015, somehow) the #1 news source in the US and a BILLION dollar money making machine and it is, without exception, completely ridiculous.

Again. Being popular does not preclude being absurd. Being absurd does not preclude making ridiculous sums of money. Hell, dozens of questionable kickstarter and indiegogo projects bank on receiving ridiculous sums of money for the absurd/ridiculous and sometimes downright impossible.

Your logic is flawed.

:spergin: Also, it's being ridiculed/mocked, by myself and thousands of others, which by definition makes it ridiculous, what with the definition of ridiculous being "deserving or inviting derision or mockery; absurd." :spergin:

Doesn't stop people watching it. Doesn't make it worth watching.

E: Liking something doesn't prevent it from being ridiculous. I like a lot of ridiculous things.
Either way, you're going to like whatever you like, so I'm going to leave this here.
I'm in a lovely mood and I don't want to get banned over bloody NFL. Sorry I brought up the twelve minutes thing, AI.

E2: vvvvv
Yeah, I agree with this. A 60 minute game should be a 90 minute broadcast, 120 at most, not a 210+ minute one.
I have no issue with the sport itself, I just have an issue with the absurdity and theatre around it.

literally a fish fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Feb 8, 2016

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
Unifi is love, unifi is life.

Ask your question, bolind :sun:

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
So the EPA are trying to make it illegal to turn road cars into racecars, and ban the sales of any product that is installed on a road car for track use only.

They've also hidden this legislation inside new lower emissions limits for commercial vehicles that have no basis in reality beyond "WE MADE THE NUMBERS SMALLER"

gently caress the EPA, man.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

Tusen Takk posted:

How much power do you lose from a cat anyways? I prefer cats just because without them I always feel like I stink as bad as my car

None with a hi-flo cat. They're just expensive, and they don't work properly in cars that aren't tuned to make them work, so why have it there at all? (cat doesn't work if there's zero oxygen in the exhaust)

nm posted:

Says sema.
I'd like to see an impartial look before I believe this is more an attempt to deal with the "this catless downpipe is for off-road purposes only" *installs on plated car that drives away from shop*

Alrighty! According to a random new site, "The ban is included in a single paragraph of the agency’s 629-page proposal to set 2021-2027 medium- and heavy-vehicle greenhouse gas targets. It was published in the Federal Register in July."

Lets go digging! Here's the 629 page PDF, if you wanna dig through it, though I just did that for you.

Relevant section:

That PDF I Just Linked, Page 584 posted:

Certified motor vehicles and motor vehicle engines and their emission control devices must remain in their certified configuration even if they are used solely for competition or if they become nonroad vehicles or engines; anyone modifying a certified motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine for any reason is subject to the tampering and defeat device prohibitions of 40 CFR 1068.101(b) and 42 U.S.C. 7522(a)(3).

Pretty clear cut, I'd say.

E: Oh, and here's 40 CFR 1068.101(b);

It's That PDF Again, You Know, The EPA One posted:

(b) The following prohibitions apply to everyone with respect to the engines and equipment to which this part applies:
(1) Tampering.
You may not remove or render inoperative any device or element of design installed on or in engines/equipment in compliance with the regulations prior to its sale and delivery to the ultimate purchaser.
You also may not knowingly remove or render inoperative any such device or element of design after such sale and delivery to the ultimate purchaser.
[snipped some stuff about it being an offense to use a diesel without any AdBlue in]
For a manufacturer or dealer, we may assess a civil penalty up to $37,500 for each engine or piece of equipment in violation. For anyone else, we may assess a civil penalty up to $3,750 for each engine or piece of equipment in violation.
[snipped out an exception for temporary repairs]
(2) Defeat devices.
You may not knowingly manufacture, sell, offer to sell, or install, any component that bypasses, impairs, defeats, or disables the control of emissions of any regulated pollutant, except as explicitly allowed by the standard-setting part. We may assess a civil penalty up to $3,750 for each component in violation.

So yeah. Make any changes at all to the engine or emissions system on any EPA-certified vehicle, get fined up to $3750 per component you modified.

literally a fish fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Feb 9, 2016

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
It's not a law yet, Geirskogul. It's just a proposed law. Even if it goes into effect unchanged it won't actually take effect until 2021.

Jamal: That second part is already a law, but right now it only applies to engines used on the road. The first bit (sneakily hidden in a light duty vehicles section of a regulation that supposedly only affects medium and heavy duty vehicles) would make it apply to all engines that have ever been emissions certified.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

IOwnCalculus posted:

Federal law, unfortunately. Not that the feds seem to be enforcing it upon individual owners unless you import something around the 25-year rule - I think these laws are more aimed at stopping the sale of parts.

Correct, and this regulation would result in it becoming a federal crime to sell basically any performance part for a car that currently comes with a "TRACK USE ONLY" disclaimer.

It could even be interpreted to make adjustable coilovers illegal, for example.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
The fact that it's buried deep inside a completely unrelated slab of regulations shows that they know it's utter tripe.

Enourmo posted:

it's more of this poo poo where they go "flush your toilets only when you poop to save water!! stay inside with the ac on so you dont sweat as much and stay hydrated longer!! do ur part ^_^" while water bottling plants are draining the loving aquifer from indian reservation territory

I don't know if this is true in the US, but I know in Victoria residential water usage makes up 6-8% of overall water usage. But were there any restrictions placed on commercial water usage during our recent supposed "drought?" Course not. (well, there were some, but they came long after we were told we weren't allowed to keep our lawn and garden alive or even rinse off our cars with a hose after washing them)

As you said, it's the same poo poo here. I read an ESPN UK F1 article a while back that said the emissions from a Formula One car during a race are under a thousandth of the emissions released by the trucks that brought the team/cars to the track; and that was back before they had turbochargers and fuel flow limits.

It's such bullshit that consumers deal with the most bullshit when they make up single-digit percentages of the problem.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

Powershift posted:

Go poke it with a knife.

Make sure to set up a video camera first.

Elmnt80 posted:

Its a rechargeable lithium battery. And I'm not going to bother razer over a 4 year old battery when it is pretty much a case of my own dumbness. I've left it with the charging cable plugged in since I didn't like the delay while using it wirelessly and I didn't yank the battery since I like having the weight of it in the mouse. Its just surprising to see how much it swelled in like a week, though I suspect its been doing it longer and is responsible for the battery cover breaking.

It's not a case of your own dumbness, it's just a case of the battery being old. Contrary to popular belief, leaving lithium battery powered devices plugged into the charger all the time is not a problem. It's actually better for them.

I can go into detail if you like, but the tl;dr is NiCd batteries need regular cycling, NiMh like to be cycled a bit if they haven't been used in a while, and Li chemistries couldn't give a poo poo as long as they're not overvolted (which nothing does anymore).

Li is limited only by how many total discharge cycles it can handle before it's out of capacity. Leaving your laptop plugged in will actually lengthen the life of the battery, contrary to the belief of a surprisingly large number of people.

Every now and then you should run a Li device down to empty and charge it back up to full again, but that has nothing to do with the cell chemistry and everything to do with the fancy bits of electronics that monitor modern Li batteries from the inside. (Recalibrates the capacity meter)

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
So here's a photo from where I'm staying right until tomorrow (click for full res);

DJI make one hell of a drone. Out over water to take this pic, it didn't even flinch.

I have a bunch of video too but not enough internet capacity to upload it from here. Here's a gif, though: http://gfycat.com/UnfitBelovedIcefish

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
I whipped up a little drone footage video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUx3p1AJmXA&hd=1

spog posted:

Bet you they didn't really view the video.

Can practically guarantee it. They're just trying to make you go away; the letter alone will probably be enough to change their tune.

loving insurance companies, man.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
Back in Victoria, finally. Dear god is 550 miles tedious at 70mph in a Fiesta ST.

so much road noise

88h88 posted:

OFFICER YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND, YOU NEED TO GIVE ME A TICKET FOR THIS.

Our traffic cameras don't seem to flash for cycles sadly, there's been a few times I've been over the limit past one. :(

That makes sense, though. You don't have a numberplate. How would it work out who you are & where to send the ticket?

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

How would it know that you don't have any identifiable details when it makes the decision based on whether or not to take the picture based upon radar or induction information.

The only speed camera systems which require a number plate are those used for average speed enforcement, as a reference needs to be used by multiple cameras to calculate travel time.

My apologies, I thought it was implied that the camera knew cyclists were cyclists due to either smaller radar signature, smaller/nonexistent induction currents, or lack of reflectivity (for LIDAR)

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
If you have a script, sail on.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
I think we all have a bunch of major personal flaws. Basically everyone does. Ricco's seems to be that he thinks horsepower is all that matters, a common mistake made by people who've never driven something light and nimble.

Probably we ought to just accept that we each have our various reasons for our car choices and not be huge dicks about it to each other for no reason. except when meatpimp buys horrifying GM products

Anyway. ^^^ It really does seem like Tony just had no idea what to do in front of the camera without someone else to play off, but with Lucky he's much more confident and between the two of them i'm really enjoying it.

Their subscription-only Roadkill Garage show is off to a good start, too. That seems to be "Dulcich and Freiburger do stupid poo poo with their absurd army of vehicles" and episode one involves a ball hone. Not sure it's worth the :10bux: it costs now but I only pay five and despite not getting access to any of the race footage (basically only the originals) I feel I'm getting my money's worth.

My only annoyance with that HRG episode is that it's going to spike demand for LM7s and I need one of those for the partyvan, dammit!

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
I'm going to see it tomorrow night with my brother wheeee :3

14 INCH DEVITO posted:

Speak for yourself

:laffo: I see what you did there (nah you're great)

Enourmo posted:

happy vday all you non broken people

cheer up emo duck
together alone :v:

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

Enourmo posted:

instructions unclear

as long as your dick isn't stuck in a fan, you're doing an alright job, partner

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

gently caress you, it's Drop Bears I gently caress

everyone knows wombats are where it's at for loving, if you blunt their claws anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I thought wombats gently caress cars?

Yeah, that's why we gently caress them back

• Locked thread