Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Just been for a 'spirited' drive in the countryside:

Eyes always scanning ahead for police cars or speed camera vans: got the shock of my life when I was buzzed by a low-flying, fully armed Apache attack helicopter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Juet found out my blood pressure is literally off the chart.

But on the plus side, I have an automatic; so when I stroke out, at least I can continue to drive as I don't need the left side of my body.

So, good job me I guess.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Terrible Robot posted:

seconding mariooncrack, definitely wanna try and get that under control as fast as possible :ohdear:

anyone else remember that one goon that posted a thread about his blood pressure spiking so high it blew out his corneas and he lost his vision? I didn't even know that was a thing that could happen.

You mean my recent inability to focus on small objects isn't just a sign of getting old?

Rather I am like one of those rubber alien toys whose eyes pop out when you squeeze them?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

stump posted:

I live in a flat, and I need a garage or shed. Man maths dictates the most sensible cost effective solution is to buy one with four wheels and an engine. I'm going to become one of those guys who has a transit van as a personal vehicle. If I start taking steroids, wearing camo as casual wear or being casually racist please send help. It's the rust from a 800 quid van getting into my bloodstream.

Trannies are awesome. Don't forget the copy of The Sun on the dashboard.

Just be aware that most scrotes can open one up with a tin opener quicker than you can with a key. No big deal for an 800 quid motor, not so fun if is an 800 quid motor filled with all your tools.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Emushka posted:

Just had 5 days of fun with a 2015 Range Rover Sport.

man oh man it is an awesome ride.

How many times did it break in those 5 days?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

stevobob posted:

I got some fantastic news today, it'll take a couple of months to finalise but I'm kinda floating a lil :toot: I'd rather not go into further detail until then but it's real good and involves the rest of my life

Mazel tov!

spog
Aug 7, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

I am STEAMING loving MAD right now.

My insurance company apparently believed the other persons testimony more, even after viewing my dashcam video, so they're saying I'm 100% at fault. They're saying I should have looked out for other traffic before performing a lane change and that I "forced her into the other lane". How that somehow justifies the fact that she rammed me, I have no idea

I calmed myself down a bit and wrote a very clear an concise email that I did not accept that ruling, that I did in fact check my mirrors and over my shoulder, and it was completely clear before I began my lane change, and that it was only after I had begun my maneuver that she tried to overtake and then rammed me.

gently caress!

Bet you they didn't really view the video.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

Maybe they haven't, but I don't want to call them out on it right away.

I'll be going through the normal complaints process, first step is to complain directly to the auto department, which is what I have done.

If they don't change their decision, I'll raise a complaint with their overall quality department. And if that doesn't work, it's only ~$30 to raise an official complaint with the insurance complaints board.

Screenshot the video with captions for each action that occurs and print it all out.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

BloodBag posted:

Went to move some parts from one bike to another and found one of the cats pissed on my metric allen wrench set. Welp, I was looking for an excuse to get some ball-nose allen wrenches. Butthead cats.

Most allen wrenches are water resistant and you can safely wash them. You don't have to throw them away and replace them.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Safety Dance posted:

I feel ya. I've been putting off changing my blower motor resistor pack (attempt #2) until it's above freezing for long enough that I can do it without kneeling in slush.

I've got an oil change that fits in that category, too.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

iwentdoodie posted:

On another note...the other day my wife went to Lush, and bought a poo poo ton of bath bombs and some face scrub for me (poo poo is so expensive but it's the only thing I've found that keeps my face clear) and tonight convinced me to take a bath with one of the bath bombs.

As a 29yr old male, that is one of the most relaxing and enjoyable loving things I've ever had. Holy poo poo.

when I tried one, my relaxation soon dried up after 20mins of scrubbing to remove the lush stain from the bathtub afterwards.

some texas redneck posted:

tl;dr yeah I'm a little bothered by his situation

That's because you are a nice guy

spog
Aug 7, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

There's a guy here at work who's lost everything under his baseball hat (which he only wears on his way in/out of work) except for his lovely curly mullet thing. Talk about saving the worst part for last.

I work with a guy who's going typically male pattern baldness and doing the usual "let what little hair you have on top grow a little too long"

Which would be fine, except he seems to be doing the same thing with his eyebrows and I suspect that if he could, he would let them grow long and up until they reach the remaining hair on top.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Cakefool posted:

I'm less than a mile from work, I've moved 0.4 miles in the last 45 minutes. I'm already late. When I find out who had a crash and caused this I'm going to tut in an emphatically British manner.

I nearly missed a flight because an entire dual carriageway was shut down for 30 mins because the police thought they saw someone near it. 6 cars and a helicopter.

There wasn't anyone there.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Cakefool posted:

Ignore manufacturer warranties, you lose more in depreciation on a new enough car to have one than these are generally worth. If the Octavia is okay look at a used diesel VRS. They're solid cars and there's loads to choose from.

Don't buy a car now for what you might be doing in 5 years. The car will be 5 years older and maybe better to replace then.

Came here to post exactly this.

PCP is stupid money. The Mercedes will cost you £1,000 to repair the electric cigarette lighter within 3 months of purchase.

Get a 3-5 year old Octavia and enjoy a decent car, with much more money in your pocket.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Cakefool posted:

Trying to sort out camping gear for the forthcoming family holidays and our little 4'x2'6" trailer isn't going to cut it. Buying a bigger trailer is throwing money away, they're either expensive or garbage or both. Why can't we get something like the harbour freight trailer kit here in the UK?

Currently I'm thinking build a bigger body on the current chassis. Or learn to weld.

Sounds like somebody's hankering after a roof - rack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Safety Dance posted:

You only say that because Hershey's mixes in 10-20% actual vomit as part of the industrial chocolate making process.

Oh, how you joke, but it is actually true, though the percentages are much lower.

quote:

Everywhere but at home, American milk chocolate — specifically Hershey’s — is known for its tangy or sour flavor, produced by the use of milk that Mr. Landuyt refers to as “acidified.” Although Hershey’s process has never been made public (and a spokeswoman declined to comment on its techniques), experts speculate that Hershey’s puts its milk through controlled lipolysis, a process by which the fatty acids in the milk begin to break down.

This produces butyric acid, also found in Parmesan cheese and the spit-up of babies; other chocolate manufacturers now simply add butyric acid to their milk chocolates. It has a distinctive tang that Americans have grown accustomed to and now expect in chocolate. “I can’t think of any other reason why people would like it,” said Mr. Whinney, of Theo Chocolate.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/13/dining/13chocolate.html?&_r=0

spog fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Feb 29, 2016

• Locked thread