Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
First for The Australian Sex Party

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Weather bureaus have changed. They are no longer invisible organisations where avuncular bureaucrats use basic computers to deliver dodgy forecasts. Today’s weather bureaucrats are visible, sophisticated and ideological. But, despite a huge investment in supercomputers, their record for accurate forecasts remains dismal.

Their mission has expanded to include climate change advocacy, where agnostics are left in no doubt that significant weather abnormalities are evidence of global warming. They tinker with raw data but give inadequate explanation as to why. Their terrestrial records diverge increasingly with satellite and radiosonde datasets. Confidence in their integrity has been called into question.

Today’s bureaus have become climate change citadels. Their records are the repository of the Holy Grail. Regardless of doubts about their accuracy, they are protected. Hundreds of billions of dollars annually, including huge international transfer payments and tens of thousands of highly paid jobs, may depend on keeping records away from prying eyes.

Last August, a BBC Radio 4 program called What’s the Point of the Met Office? detailed the British agency’s history of dud predictions and its role as a parliamentary lobbyist. Rather than wait for an official complaint, the BBC issued a full-blown apology for “giving voice to climate-change sceptics” and “for failing to make it clear that they are a minority voice out of step with the scientific consensus”. According to program host Quentin Letts, Roger Harrabin, the BBC’s environment analyst, “went nuts” that the program was aired. Later, several BBC officials were required to undertake online training with a “substantial scenario on reporting climate-change science”.

Across the Atlantic, the US house science committee is conducting an investigation into the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, a $6 billion-a-year government weather service, seeking access to internal deliberations around a groundbreaking climate change study. Amid allegations that the NOAA attempted to shape and direct the committee’s oversight, chairman Lamar Smith demanded to see thousands of emails that he thinks will show that by homogenising temperature records, researchers were able to refute claims that global warming over the past decade had paused. He accused the agency of altering the data to “get the results they needed”.

Whistleblower allegations say the NOAA “rushed to publication over the objections of numerous scientists at the agency”. The NOAA has refused to hand over the emails.

Australia has its own concerns with homogenisation. Blogger Joanne Nova has reported on it for years. Scientist Jennifer Marohasy has been persistent in seeking answers to why perfectly good raw data is manipulated to turn a cooling trend into a warming one.

Auditor Ken Stewart studied thousands of Bureau of Meteorology records and demonstrates it has a case to answer. The response is to stonewall and, when information is released, to offer no means of replication. Data is converted into vague probabilities that, when technically correct, are still often meaningless. Weather agencies stand accused of a culture of “snowing” sceptics.

When then prime minister Tony Abbott wanted to establish a taskforce to investigate the bureau’s temperature dataset and other related records, the cabinet, Environment Minister Greg Hunt and his department all came to the bureau’s aid by watering down the proposal and setting up a panel approved by the BoM to “strengthen governance oversight”.

Hunt said: “In doing this, it is important to note that public trust in the bureau’s data and forecasts, particularly as they relate to bushfires and cyclones, is paramount.”

It is good to have friends in high places. Better not to know that the bank’s books have been fiddled in case the market loses confidence.

At least American taxpayers have a champion in Lamar Smith, who complained to the US Commerce Secretary that the NOAA’s top officials had “obstructed” his committee’s oversight role. He said NOAA had refused voluntarily and under subpoena to hand over critical information. “It is the end product of exchanges between scientists — the detailed understanding of scientific work that underpins the authors’ findings,” he said.

The scientists argue that Smith is setting a dangerous precedent of interfering with independent scientific work.

Australian weather officials seem to share NOAA’s views. They reject full transparency in the face of informed criticism of their work. Stonewalling, and appeals to authority, are the defence. In any other field this would be a scandal.

Is the BoM’s methodology commercial in confidence or do taxpayers, who pay more than $300 million a year for this agency, have a right to know?

Confidence in weather bureaus will continue to decline until the world is finally satisfied through thorough independent investigation and audit that the vital records over which they exercise monopoly control are the result of a scientifically rigorous, replicable process. Nothing has changed since 2009, when John Theon, retired chief of NASA’s Climate Processes Research Program and responsible for all weather and climate research, testified “scientists have manipulated the observed data to justify their model results”. Complaining about lack of transparency, he said: “It is contrary to the way science is done.”

Memo to Australia’s Auditor General: There is an urgent job to be done.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

iajanus posted:

There was a disturbing amount of candidates proposed for this year's title. God bless our wonderful game :australia: (needs a dog version)

:britain: works

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Government slashes CSIRO climate change jobs

By Unconventional Economist in Carbon Economy

at 10:10 am on February 4, 2016 | 31 comments

By Leith van Onselen

From ABC News comes a report that the CSIRO is about to axe as many as 300 jobs from its climate-related departments:

The ABC understands up to 300 positions over the next two years are on the chopping block, largely in the Oceans and Atmosphere and Land and Water divisions.

The organisation will attempt to redeploy as many staff as possible in emerging areas such as data science, sources say.

Staff are due to be notified today and a CSIRO spokesman said the organisation would not comment until the announcement.

It is not clear whether any redundancies will be voluntary.

The SMH provides more detail, noting the following:

“Climate will be all gone, basically,” said one senior scientist, before the announcement. “We understand both the Prime Minister [Malcolm Turnbull] and the [Science] Minister [Christopher Pyne] have signed off on the cuts”…

Another senior scientist, aware of the planned announcement, said staff would be shocked by the news that basic climate science including much of the monitoring of changes in the southern hemisphere would be gutted.

“There’ll be disappointment, anger,” he said, adding that Australia’s counterparts would also respond “with shock and horror”…

Andy Pitman, director of the ARC Centre of Excellence for Climate System Science at the University of NSW, said the scale of the cuts was “jaw-droppingly shocking”.

“It’s a catastrophic reduction in our capacity to assess present and future climate change,” Professor Pitman said. “It will leave us vulnerable to future climate change and unable to take advantage of any positives that result.”

The dumbening of Australia continues…

unconventionaleconomist@hotmail.com

http://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2016/02/government-slashes-csiro-climate-change-jobs/

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Jonah Galtberg posted:

It points out that all were either refugees or dependents of recent migrants.

There are also specific concerns raised about the 12,000 additional Syrian refugees the Federal Government announced it would take in September last year.

The document says "it is expected some refugees from this conflict will bring issues, beliefs or associations that lead them to advocate or engage in politically motivated or communal violence".[/b]

Since September, the expected surge of migrants from Syria has been a trickle of just over 20 people.

The document says the Department of Immigration will "apply additional screening criteria to the 12,000 Syrian intake and extend this, where possible on a risk basis, to the humanitarian program".

'Lessons learned' from Lebanese migrants

Meanwhile, the Lebanese community is singled out in the document as the "most prominent ethnic group amongst Australian Sunni extremists".

The document points to "lessons learned" after a wave of migration to Australia as a result of the Lebanese civil war between 1975 and 1990.

"Australia's historical experience with the Sunni Lebanese community illustrate potential community safety and national security risks associated with unsuccessful integration," it said.

The document says Australia's intake from the Lebanese conflict "was largely from the poorer and uneducated Lebanese Muslim population", introducing a new element to the largely Christian Lebanese community in Australia.

"This led to the transportation to Australia of a Sunni community which included elements who already held extremist beliefs or who were more highly receptive to extremist messages," it said.

Earlier this week Mr Dutton told Lateline the Government had strict measures in place to assess those wanting to come to Australia.

"We look through each of those cases to make sure that the bona fides are established and as I say, very importantly, we conduct biometric tests and conduct those tests in a very rigorous way and we work with our US, UK and Canadian partners to make sure that we can mitigate any threat that might come from people that would pose themselves as refugees but aren't true refugees," he said.

But the document also outlines another way refugees are being selected.

"Australia is prioritising family groups who have been registered with UNHCR for lengthy periods to further reduce the potential for deliberate extremist infiltration," it said.

That would mean those fleeing some of the most deadly conflicts in recent months are unlikely to make to Australian shores.

Lateline requested an interview with Mr Dutton but he was unavailable for comment. A spokesman from the Immigration Department said draft proposals often came before Government but were not adopted.

Could have bolded it all really

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Feb 4, 2016

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Laserface posted:

Wait, are you telling me we are still bad at refugees? jee whiz what a week. so much has changed!

The concept of taking sanctuary in a Church from the middle ages is coming back. Woohoo

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Elrond Hubbard posted:

Anyone got any wisdom with regards to a good VPN for Australian use to hide my metadatas?

Used to use Private Internet Access but I got sick of paying monthly for my internet to be unusable.

Nice try ASIO.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

From https://www.dfat.gov.au/about-us/corporate/freedom-of-information/Documents/dfat-foi-1510-F1291.pdf

I have since determined that the driver was from Saudi Arabia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euI3v2jpTlI

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

ScreamingLlama posted:

On a side note, I'm OK with Pavel as long as you cut down on the crossdressing shots. Crossdressing is only good when it's convincing IMO.

Perhaps those who don't appreciate Pavel would like some Alexander Skarsgård instead?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7RI3M4e6lQ

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
His disability is autism lol

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

hooman posted:

"On Monday McClellan revealed that the conditions were hypertension and ischaemic heart disease. While it would be preferable that Pell fly to Australia to give evidence, McClellan said the commissioners were satisfied doing so would pose a risk to Pell’s health and that his condition was unlikely to improve."

gently caress you Pell. You loving coward.

Doesn't sound serious enough to prevent us sending him to Nauru :getin:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Is anyone at the Brisbane protest?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Post about that kid that got killed in the Canberra Hospital demolition lol.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Professional Bio

Kate Moloney is an empowering motivational speaker and author. She loves combining entrepreneurship and property investing with personal development and empowerment. In Kates own words, you can’t have one without the other. She draws from her experience, training and intuition to teach personal empowerment to others in a down-to-earth and easy-to-understand manner.

Kate’s first venture in property investment left her as a three million dollar debt disaster at age 27. She knows how to handle adversity in a calm and centred manner. A natural born leader, with an affective communication style, Kate loves empowering people to become their own leaders.

Thank you for checking out this website.

A few things about me;

+ In 2012, at the age of 24, Matt and I were crowned Australias Property Investor the Year (Your Investment Property Magazine) click here to see

+ Three years later, if we were to sell our properties, we would still owe the banks about three million dollars (not including arrears interest and selling costs). We are currently in the process of sorting out the debts. The outcome at this stage is uncertain (despite living with financial cancer, happiness is a choice we make every day)

+ Life has been tipped upside down in the last two years. Goodbye success identity, can I have a new one, please? Ideally, my real one.

+ I live in Moranbah, QLD. Have been here for six years. The towns real estate market has dropped approx 75% in the last three years. The vibe is ... depressing. Right now my mission is to shine a light on it.

+ I have written a book called Bright Yellow Happiness its due out in 2016. I never wanted to publish it, but it feels like the right thing to do.

+ Despite "living with financial cancer" I am happy and empowered. I believe whole heartedly in personal development and empowerment. When they are combined with your everyday life, you become powerful, even in the face of challenging adversity.

+ Who knows whats around the corner. At the moment, I am taking life day by day. My intention is to share Bright Yellow Happiness with the world in a soulful way, thats true to me.

http://www.katemoloney.com/#!about-kate/c1mv6

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Barnaby Joyce soon to be one heart beat away from being Prime Minister.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I refuse to use the self-serve checkout for two reasons:1) I'm not being paid to do it; and 2) I won't steal jobs from my or other people's grandchildren.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Liberal Democrats senator David Leyonhjelm has called on the government to go further than just legalising cannabis for medicinal purposes.

Health Minister Sussan Ley introduced draft laws to parliament on Wednesday that allows the controlled cultivation of cannabis for medicinal or scientific purposes through a national licensing scheme.

Senator Leyonhjelm says allowing people to have a puff for fun would save the cost of a medical regulatory framework and help raise tax revenue.

He cited the example of Colorado in the US, saying marijuana revenue raised more money there than tobacco or alcohol taxes.

"Nobody has died, the sky hasn't fallen, we are not facing rack and ruin, Sodom and Gomorrah," he told reporters.

The Greens have welcomed the government move, but argue more needs to be done to link those who need it to the cannabis.

"It is no good growing medicinal cannabis if a patient can't get it through a doctor," leader Richard Di Natale said.

Read more at http://www.9news.com.au/national/2016/02/10/10/15/call-to-make-cannabis-legal-for-everyone#0jJ93hP2HjUDUJEa.99

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

hooman posted:

Hi everyone it is Chris Shortis, Shermon's actions are absolute treachery. I hope you are satisfied with your latest act of lies and nonsense, Shermon.
I have personally invested $1000's of dollars as to the movement the UPF, The entire leadership group have invested time and much money as well, we are not nazis you uneducated moron.
I have the Quran, does that make me a suicide bomber or a Jihadist? I am also seeking the communist manifesto, and the Mein Kemph to study my enemy or enemies.
Everyone that has watched my videos on Islam knows I have studied the Quran. It is called knowledge mate.
Blair Cottrell is exactly the same, a man who studies history, and you have slandered my friend and brother. Hope we never cross paths again.
We are for Australia you foolish man, and knowledge of the bad ideologies is the best weapons to fight these ideologies so that Australia can remain free.
We at the UPF are studying the Constitution so we are equipped to take on the corrupt politicians in Canberra which behave exactly the same way as you have now, that is with treachery.
You are the Judas Iscariot of the movement and I can guarantee that level minded patriots will stick with us and only morons like yourself will follow you. You better hook up with Michael Voysey now you would make good bedfellows.
The UPF will continue to rise as your pathetic light will now dim and eventually extinguish, you were never a patriot, just a self centred ego maniac obsessed with his own popularity.
You are a snake, and you are cursed until you publicly denounce your videos and apologies without reserve.
Chris Shortis UPF/Fortitude.
P.S I would have made a video, but FB has banned me posting videos.

:allears:

Is this cause one of them got caught in a halal kebab shop?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Recoome posted:

Turns out that some members of the United Patriots Front are neo nazis

Does the Brunswick Liberation Front know?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I want to see ArchieLuxury make a video about the supposed fake Rolexes.

ALL OF YOU MISERABLE NASTY POLITICIAN FUCKERS WEARING loving DOGSHIT GOLD ROLEXES

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Mithranderp posted:

Yeah, and I'd wager that one of the reasons that the SDA is so poo poo is the terrible bargaining position that their members are in. They are so replaceable that it's difficult to bargain from a powerful position, even collectively.

e: and I don't mean 'replaceable' in any sort of disparaging way towards the workers themselves, having been a retail worker myself. it's just the reality that for every job advertised in those industries, there are hundreds (if not thousands) of applicants who are by and large exactly the same.

I dunno they seem to do a pretty good job at bargaining at labor party conferences.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Recoome posted:

Hey friends anyone in brisbane thinking of going to the vigil in front of the Lady Cilento Hospital today? Should be good!

I went to check it out last night. Quite a few people there, but probably will be more during the day. People were honking their horns and some guy drove past yelling (among other things) "HITLER WAS RIGHT". They also had pizza.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=as76cG_vnb4

Still more dignified than our deputy prime minister.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
What about Space Dandy?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Morrison: Negative gearing your “one chance to build wealth”

Mr Morrison has been leaving clues about the changes he wants to make to tax breaks for Australians who invest in property.

He has attacked Labor’s policy — under which only new properties would be able to be negatively geared after a proposed 2017 introduction — saying everyday mum-and-dad investors would be hurt.

He told 2GB radio this morning that two–thirds of people are taking advantage of negative gearing have a taxable income less than $80,000, while 70 per cent of people only negatively gear one property.

“[Shadow treasurer] Chris Bowen thinks everyone who’s on negative gearing is on a rort,” he said.

“He thinks they’re big property barons and you’ve got to go and tax them and slam.

“Well, for most middle-income people it is the one chance they’ve got to build some wealth."

And there it is, the Property Council mindset writ large, where Mr Morrison used to be head of research.

This is either an admission of how completely distorted our economy is and therefore is an argument in favour of the Labor reforms, or it is a totally inappropriate (not to mention wrong) attitude for a Treasurer given it privileges a single asset class and its beneficiaries with whom he has a long association.

http://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2016/02/morrison-negative-gearing-your-once-chance-to-build-wealth/

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Thread Favourite Gerard Henderson was featured on Media Watch tonight.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
http://www.buzzfeed.com/markdistefano/what-positive-gear#.jbvqW2yWzG

Buzzfeed doing better reporting than the AFR, even if they are just facebook stalking:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Is Cuneen going to weasel her way out of this?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OplePb8xYoo

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The new 404 pages from The Australian are better than the actual articles. Can someone who isn't phone posting link some here?

theaustralian.com.au/qualityjournalism

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Im Herald Sun columnist Andrew Bolt. I first started writing when I was about 12. By 14 i got really obsessed with the concept of "irony" and tried to channel it constantly, until my thought process got really bizarre and i would repeat things like "I'm friends with Cardinal Pell" and "I know Pell. Sociopathic is a lie" in my head for hours, and i would get really paranoid, start seeing things in the corners of my eyes etc, basically prodromal schizophrenia.

quote:

Police must be investigated for this sliming of Pell

Icon - Comments 0 Comments | Permalink Andrew Bolt Blog Icon Arrow
Andrew Bolt
FEBRUARY
(10:42am)

This police leak is highly suspicious and clearly meant to destroy Cardinal Pell:

A VICTORIA Police taskforce has been ­investigating allegations that Cardinal ­George Pell sexually abused between five and 10 boys.

Detectives from Sano Taskforce have compiled a dossier containing allegations that Cardinal Pell committed “multiple ­offences” when a priest in Ballarat and when archbishop of Melbourne....

The allegations span four decades, with the Ballarat-born cardinal accused of abusing children — now adults aged in their late 20s to early 50s — between 1978 and 2001…

Last night, the cardinal ­released a statement vehemently denying any wrongdoing, saying allegations were “without foundation and ­utterly false’’…

Sources close to the police probe have speculated Cardinal Pell would want to avoid returning for fear of being questioned over allegations.

It is claimed Cardinal Pell’s alleged offences occurred at two locations in Victoria.

While working as archbishop of Melbourne at St Patrick’s Cathedral, between 1996 and 2001, he is alleged to have sexually assaulted altar boys as young as 14…

He is also alleged to have committed offences against several child victims at a swimming pool in Ballarat in 1978…

One source close to the investigation told the Herald Sun: “Alleged offences by Pell occurred as a result of both opportunity and grooming. They are very serious allegations regarding sexual assault.’’

Pell abused altar boys? Until just 15 years ago? He abused them even five years after setting up the Melbourne Response, the first church fund for child sex abuse victims anywhere in the country, and when police and media attention on pedophile priests was intense? And in all the years of this attention, his alleged victims never came forward until now?

Of course, the police must investigate and I cannot swear that Pell is innocent and the claims have no substance. But they seem to me inherently improbable and completely out of character for Pell.

Moreover, I again insist that a man is innocent until proven guilty. That is why, for instance, I refused to report or comment on the rape allegations against Labor leader Bill Shorten until police had investigated them and found there was no case for a prosecution, upon which Shorten announced the matter himself. Most of the media did the same as I - extending to Shorten a principled courtesy that they will not extend to Pell. And to this day I do not consider Shorten’s character at all stained by the allegations. Pell, however, is being destroyed.

But I have even more serious questions.

How did this news of the police investigation get leaked? Which police briefed the reporters? Why? Why now, before the investigation’s preliminary report has even been approved by senior police? Is this not against police regulations? Against all principles of justice? And why was this leaked even before police contacted Pell to inform him of these serious claims?

This is utterly disgraceful. Pell has been given not even the slightest detail of any of the claims against him bar one - no who, where, when - and cannot defend himself other than to deny any wrongdoing. This stinks of a disgusting ambush. For all we know, the claims are (as Pell insists) obviously baseless ones that will be dismissed by senior police. Yet this early leak will further trash Pell’s reputation.

Even the genesis of this inquiry is odd. It starts with the one claim Pell has some knowledge of - but which was actually debunked 14 years ago:

Sano detectives are also actively investigating the alleged abuses of an altar boy during a camp in 1961 at Smiths Beach on Phillip Island. At the time, Cardinal Pell was a trainee priest aged 20.

The incident was not investigated by police then, but was investigated by the church in 2002, with Cardinal Pell cleared by retired ­Supreme Court judge Alec Southwell.

A legal source close to the alleged victim said Sano detectives had requested information. It is understood the victim was too upset to co-operate and has refused to give a police statement. Sano detectives are seeking other potential victims.

That allegation was comprehensively investigated by the Southwell inquiry, which could find no proof that the rape occurred. That finding, from an open inquiry, was called a ”just result” even by the anti-clerical Age. Police could not have missed the news at the time.

It is bizarre that only now - 14 years later -are the police investigating this case, and after it was well and truly canvassed in an inquiry and found wanting, with the alleged victim not even prepared to lay a complaint then or now, or to give police evidence.

What the hell is going on with the police and Pell?

Having asked that, let me remind you of the Victoria Police’s ugly record in accusing the Catholic church:

A VICTORIAN police deputy commissioner [Graham Ashton, now chief commissioner] and the force have been accused of false and misleading evidence to the state’s child sex abuse inquiry ...

Peter O’Callaghan, QC, independent commissioner in charge of the Catholic Church’s Melbourne-based complaints system [the Melbourne Response], has ... provided evidence that contradicts the most damaging claim by Mr Ashton and the force that the church failed to report a single case of abuse to police…

Mr Ashton claimed in his evidence to the inquiry that police had not “had a single referral of a child sexual abuse allegation by the Catholic Church”.

This assertion is repeated in the police submission to the inquiry. However, these allegations, which have been among the defining evidence of the inquiry, are wrong, according to Mr O’Callaghan’s submission....

Mr O’Callaghan’s response in reply to Mr Ashton and the police submission also contains five examples from his files in which he says complainants reported abuse at the encouragement of or with his direct assistance.

Mr O’Callaghan also reveals that, of the 304 complaints made to him to June 30 last year, 97 have been reported to police, 115 related to offenders who were already dead at the time of the complaint, nine were for offenders who were overseas and 76 complainants were encouraged by him to go to police…

The police submission claims that to obtain an ex gratia payment for compensation from the church, victims must enter into an agreement discharging the church from any further liability.

It claims that some of these deeds include confidentiality clauses agreeing not to disclose or discuss the circumstances of the complaint.

But Mr O’Callaghan states: “Victims of sexual abuse who accept the offer of compensation provided pursuant to the Melbourne Response ... are specifically advised that there is no obligation of confidentiality and that they are free to discuss with anyone the facts and circumstances of the abuse and the compensation obtained.”

Indeed, as the Victorian Parliamentary inquiry into child sex abuse confirmed:
The Commission’s examination of transcripts of interviews revealed that the Melbourne Response’s practice throughout was to tell victims that they had an ‘unfettered right’ to report abuse to the police.

And then there was this equally stunning slander by police:
Victoria Police has been exposed vastly overstating the number of suicides related to child-sex abuse by Catholic clergy…

The assertion that 43 suicide deaths were related to Catholic abuse was a central reason for the formation of the Victorian inquiry, which in turn was a key reason the national sex abuse royal commission was formed....
Mr Ashton [now chief commissioner] told the Victorian inquiry in late 2012 that the force was examining for the coroner 43 suicide deaths allegedly related to church abuse…

But at the same time ... a police Sexual Crimes Squad investigation was wound up, detailing how the original claims of up to 43 deaths could not be substantiated… Operation Plangere could substantiate only one firm case....

Despite knowing for more than two years that the figure was grossly wrong, the force has never publicly corrected it, regardless of the enormous damage it caused the church.

I am not for one second suggesting Ashton knew of or condoned this latest leak. I cannot and do not believe he would do such a thing.

I wonder only at the culture of the police that could produce false evidence against the church, and now this unforgivable leak.

Cardinal Pell is absolutely correct:

The Cardinal has called for a public inquiry into the leaking of these spurious claims by elements in the Victorian Police in a manner clearly designed to embarrass the Cardinal…

The Victorian Police have never sought to interview him in relation to any allegations of child sexual abuse and apart from the false allegations investigated by Justice Southwell, the Cardinal knows of no claims or incidents which relate to him.

He strongly denies any wrongdoing… The Cardinal calls on the Premier and the Police Minister to immediately investigate the leaking of these baseless allegations.

I hope Labor leader Bill Shorten, in acknowledgement of the courtesy and consideration shown to him, will demand the same be shown to Pell. This is the time when leaders in this community - people of conscience - must stand against this public denigration, humiliation and dehumanising of George Pell.

If he turns out to be guilty, let us condemn him then. But until then, what we’re seeing is monstrously cruel. Those who don’t speak against it are complicit in it.

UPDATE

If you don’t believe Victoria Police can go to astonishing lengths to mount a rape case on highly suspect evidence, read this.

If you don’t believe even senior detectives can go on an obsessive crusade against the Catholic church and assert things not true, read this.

This is a meltdown of Amethyst standards.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Birb Katter posted:

Aren't they actually friends irl?

They molested boys together

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

http://i.imgur.com/xTUbzcq.gifv

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Scott Morrison is sharpening his knives i'll bet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Why are we so poo poo? We won't even let New Zealand take our asylum seekers, because the possibility that once they become New Zealand citizens they might come back here. What the gently caress? How can anyone be that loving scared of asylum seekers? :smith:

There's something hella arrogant assuming that once people get NZ citizenship they just want to come to Australia.

• Locked thread