Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

starkebn posted:

More Pavel please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Birb Katter posted:

Sanctuary hasn't been legal for over 400 years so it's moral posturing rather than legit safe harbour, still a bit :unsmith: though. Some big church diocese have weight in on it too.

Most of the LNP are christian so having a large section of the christian community call them out on this poo poo might make a difference, although the churches have been pretty vocal for a while without having much of an impact so maybe it won't do a thing.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'm not sure much will come of the sanctuary thing, I'd be shocked if border force and asio haven't been keeping tabs on all the refugees in Australia and are ready to swoop on them the moment it looks like something politically inconvenient is about to happen.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Is there a reason the ALP tolerates the SDA? Surely a party that aims to improve the lot of workers would've cut ties with such a poo poo union by now.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Recognising same-sex marriages that took place overseas would challenge Australia’s sovereignty by making the country “beholden” to foreign laws, Liberal backbencher Cory Bernardi said.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

turdbucket posted:

The party hasn't aimed to improve the lot of workers for years, look at what happened with FairWork. Why would they cut ties? the SDA is the ALP and the ALP is the SDA, they're the same people with the same goals and mindset.

Yeah I know, it was more of a rhetorical question.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Adani has frozen its investment in Australia’s largest proposed coalmine until world coal prices show a clear recovery, its executives have indicated in stock analyst briefings in India.
http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/feb/04/adani-freezes-investment-in-carmichael-mine-until-world-coal-price-recovers?CMP=soc_567

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Having got shitfaced in a number of European countries, I did get the feeling that drunk continental Europeans are a lot more chill than drunk Australians.

My guess is that we have an aggressive streak in our culture somewhere and when some people get drunk it bubbles to the surface very easily, so we get violent drunk dickheads as a result.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Peter Martin seems pretty certain there won't be a GST, what are the tories playing at with their constant talk of it if not to 'start a conversation' as a prelude to introducing one I wonder?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Redcordial posted:

Premier Dan Andrews has done a good thing, and I approve.

Federal Labor should pay attention. This is how one lures voters away from the Greens.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I do a bit of rock fishing and I think making life jackets mandatory misses the point a bit. If the conditions are such that a lifejacket will save your life no one should be on the ledge in the first place. The real issue is a lack of education, a lot of people don't check the wind, tide, swell, and don't think about sensible clothing like board shorts and rock boots. On a hot day no one is going to wear a PFD anyway, plus they're cumbersome and get in the way. Most rock fishing deaths are from Asian communities and their poor English has been cited as a reason they miss out on a lot of the safety messages.

If the conditions don't look like this we turn around and either find somewhere else to fish or go home. This is Wilson's Prom with .4m of swell, outgoing tide and an offshore wind.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

https://www.broadsheet.com.au/sydney/food-and-drink/article/nsw-police-questions-venue-over-wine-list

quote:

Last night Giovanni Paradiso, co-owner of Sydney institutions Fratelli Paradiso and 10 William Street posted a photo on Instagram. It was an image of 10 William Street’s chalkboard wine list, with the caption, “So according to NSW POLICE FORCE our blackboard with what we are pouring by the glass is promoting unsavoury behaviour. SYDNEY WHAT THE gently caress IS HAPPENING.”

This morning, we spoke to 10 William's co-owner, Marco Ambrosino, about what unfolded before the Instagram post last night. “The Rugby Sevens were on and there was a lot of activity in the area. Thousands of people were walking around on the streets and the police were out visiting all the pubs," he explained. "They spent quite some time in the pub next to us, so to show fairness, they popped into the business next to the pub [our restaurant]."

The owners were in the venue last night while the police spoke with 10 Williams' manager on duty outside. While he didn't speak directly with police, Ambrosino says they told 10 Williams' manager there were two concerns: a sign saying “free wine”, which the manager explained was a cheeky refererence to wine without added substances (that is, natural wine), which the restaurant is known for serving.

The second concern was that the blackboard listing wines by the glass was too close to the front of the restaurant, which police explained could be seen to promote heavy drinking, without making clear it was a venue that served food.

“We are a wine bar, so we put our wines by the glass at the front, and hand people a menu when they sit down. We’ve had it like this for six years," Ambrosino told us.

“There’s an undercurrent of disappointment amongst venue owners. There seems to be a real confusion of drinking and dining [and] when you can trade. We’re very, very frustrated. None of us have had any trouble. The police are painting us all with one brush,” says Ambrosino.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Cleretic posted:

I wonder how quickly this is gonna peter out and disappear into political esoterica once they find out that most of the money that disappears into this is going to Liberal voter demographics.

Like how the Howard government went to great expense to figure out who was scamming welfare, and then quietly dropped it once they found out it was mostly pensioners.

I'm sure they already know how much money is being scammed from centerlink and the kinds of people who are doing it. having private investigators monitoring social media is probably just political theater for angry middle class bogans.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Laserface posted:

Wearing a life jacket isnt necessarily a bad thing. Wakeboarders can wake board and do fancy tricks while wearing theirs, Im sure they would be suitable for fishing in.

Depending on the style of PFD they can be a pain in the arse, especially when casting surf rods. Mine is great on the kayak but would get in the way on the rocks.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Too bad if your preferred entertainment doesn't involve sitting in a dark room drinking goon and watching a screen.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Redcordial posted:

I just wanted to chime in and ask how the gently caress do you people arguing against using PFD's think that they actually restrict your movement in a significant manner?

Unless you are using your old life-jacket that your purchased in 1995 for your extremely dangerous activity, I do not see how these http://www.extrasport.com/ restrict your movement enough to add such an extra risk.

I don't mean to be an arsehole and imply that people complaining about PFD use are overweight or not athletic. My point of view is that PFD's only restrict your actual necessary movements while fishing to a very small degree, and possibly if you are complaining about them restricting your movement, you are just being lazy or are not using your body effectively when casting etc. I mean they even give you a bloody shield to stick the end of your rod into your stomach so you don't get the usual "crutch-burn" from having your rod against your lower stomach while bringing in bigger fish.

What is wrong about adapting to new methods of safety when participating in dangerous activities? I ride a motorbike everyday, and I make sure to wear proper protection because times have evolved and I am not riding a horse on a dirt track, I am putting my life on the line and safety can never be under estimated.
those are like the PFD I use on the kayak, they allow decent mobility for your shoulders but are still bulky if you are moving around and uncomfortable on hot days.
I wouldn't say that casting becomes impossible when wearing a PFD, it's just an extra level of annoyance and something to catch on that is only really necessary if you go fishing in crap conditions.

Better education targeting groups who are at greater risk of drowning (mostly Asians) would do a much better job of saving lives because you still need someone to enforce to rules and the people missing out on the basic safety messages are probably not going to pay attention to a new rule.

If you:
1. pick a day with low swell, offshore wind and outgoing tide
2. watch the waves for 10-20 minutes upon arrival to make sure they are safe
3. wear clothing you can swim in (not jeans and a shirt)
4. wear shoes that give you good grip ( http://www.sneakyfisho.com/mirage-rockgripper-boots-3158.html )
5. choose a safe spot (i.e. not Punchbowl)
6. leave if the conditions change
you don't need to wear a PFD and are extremely unlikely to die while rock fishing.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

ScreamingLlama posted:

Making lovely ASMR jokes over and over isn't exactly going to make me respect your point of view.

Ignoring a perfectly sensible point of view simply because people who hold it also make fun of you doesn't seem very rational.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Companies with experience probably make lowball offers too and then cut corners to stay under budget.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Even if they did try and make Centerlink's IT function properly they'd be faced with shouty headlines in the Hun complaining about all the money spentwasted on shortening queue times for dole bludgers.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

hooman posted:

"On Monday McClellan revealed that the conditions were hypertension and ischaemic heart disease. While it would be preferable that Pell fly to Australia to give evidence, McClellan said the commissioners were satisfied doing so would pose a risk to Pell’s health and that his condition was unlikely to improve."

gently caress you Pell. You loving coward.

Probably worried he'll end up arrested for ignoring kiddie fiddling in the church or something. At least the current pope seems more likely to be ok with extraditing pedos than any other they've had.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

turdbucket posted:

Is the obese guy who claimed the disability pension because he is so overweight complaining about "welfare fraud"? Lol.

How is this a disability and not the consequence of a self inflicted first world lifestyle of decadence and indolence?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

open24hours posted:

Self inflicted disabilities are still disabilities? Once you start thinking 'well maybe it's their own fault they're disabled' and use that as a justification for not helping you're heading down a dark path.

I know, this seems a bit different to finding yourself wheelchair bound because of a moment of madness leading to dumb stunt or something though.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Nah, drugs are awesome. I'm a bit torn on legalising them though because on the one hand it would probably make them cheaper but on the other it would undercut people who sell them to get by on Youth Allowance/Austudy/Newstart.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

hooman posted:

"Approximately half of all complaints made to Australia’s windfarm commissioner relate to turbines that have not yet been built, the man tasked with the job has said."

hahhahaahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahaa

Is he actually going to stop them from being built or is it just a token gesture to keep the LNP nutjobs happy?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

thatfatkid posted:

Ohhh i get it now. It's saying that if the refugee children are allowed to stay on the mainland then there'll be more boats and therefore more deaths at sea.

I'm not sure how that argument is meant to appeal to the anti-refugee voter though. Surely more dead brown people would be a plus to them.

I think they see death as the humane (and therefore less preferred) option compared to rape and malaria on some tropical shithole of an island.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Frogmanv2 posted:

Given the increasing amount of research thats pointing to a strong link between genetics and obesity, no, it probably isnt.

I'm no doctor but I'm tipping that a first world diet and lifestyle play a bigger role in it.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Frogmanv2 posted:

Oh, cool, well, as long as your gut tells you something is right, then it must be.

Im not saying that diet doesnt play a part. It clearly does. What I am saying is that genetics can play a massive part in regulating how much food you eat.

I just find it hard to accept that genetics somehow suddenly kicked in over the last 30 years or so, giving us an obesity epidemic while leaving developing countries untouched.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Serrath posted:

The most current models hold that you can genetically inherent the propensity to store larger amounts of fat in the presence of over abundant food, not the quality of being obese specifically

Sure, but how much can genetics explain why 35% of the US population is fat while only 10% of the Belgian population is fat for example?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

bowmore posted:

Wouldn't cost of living just rise?

I guess it would if the money was given out equally to everyone but you might be able to get around that by re-jigging the tax structure so that above a certain point you start paying an additional levy which effectively takes back the UBI money you received. The amount could be calculated weekly/fortnightly based on how much employment income you have bought in. Wouldn't need any addition bureaucracy because it would just be an automatic calculation.

Failing that, the government could just step in and set prices for everything to stop the cost of living from going up :ussr:

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Deputy Prime Minister Barnaby Joyce.

gross dude

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

This is what happens when you gentrify a dense urban area with a bunch of loving new spiritualist anti science idiots. Built a wall and carpet bomb the whole inner north (sorry beets office, sorry burgers)

The problem should take care of itself in a generation or so

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Anidav posted:

Isn't all these resignations exactly what Turdball wants? A reshuffle with a bunch of small L no names so he can sail into an election without a face the public can hate?

In the short term, potentially. In the longer term there will be a bunch of unhappy backbenchers scheming away and making trouble.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

ewe2 posted:

They're desperate to break that Senate, but all I can see arising from a DD is a worse Senate than ever, unless they plan to spend absolutely zillions to shut everyone else out, and that strategy never works on the Senate and only sometimes in the Reps.

That's what those senate reforms are for. Didn't they get passed the other day?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

The budget disaster lasted about 5 minutes into the LNP's term.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Have some poll results before this thread turns into a loving tumblr or something

quote:

A summer marred by ministerial crises and the prospect of a higher GST has taken the shine off the Turnbull government, sending the Coalition's share of the vote below that achieved by Tony Abbott at the 2013 election.

A four point two-party preferred slump to 52-48 still has the government winning but is set to dispel any lingering early election barracking from within the government. Just one in five voters (22 per cent) would look favourably on Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull running to the polls before his full term is served. Mr Turnbull has told his party to be on guard for a snap poll should key legislation be blocked in the Senate.

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-po...214-gmtnd1.html

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I suppose they'll try and find a way to fiddle with NG a bit without costing them or their mates too much.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

imagine if mum and dad investors had to put their capital to something useful instead of becoming rent-seeking parasites, the horror

That's the thing, I can imagine there might be quite a spike in economic activity if housing were made less attractive as an investment. People are going to buy it anyway because we like having a roof over our heads and if the prices come down the country would be awash with money looking for a home.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I agree with some of that, we've probably pushed Australia's environment beyond what it can handle sustainably as it is, let alone with a doubling of the population or whatever we're on track for over the next 50 years.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

starkebn posted:

only because of urban sprawl, which he specifically calls out as being what Aussies obviously want. More medium density living would be sustainable if we can keep up with water and public transport, and other urban planning, demands

Why should people give up something they want like a backyard you can keep a pet in just so we can cram more people in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Ket posted:

Because the more land we save for future generations, the better?

What if the population in these future generations is roughly the same as the population now?

• Locked thread