Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
*screams externally*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Double Dissolution is looking likely because Bill is weak and we want to vote for higher taxes apparently.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Keating was more 3rd Way bullshit without the dot com boom that made Clinton a good president :v:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I would ask Peter Dutton what blood tastes like and why he keeps picking at the scab that is racial relations in Australia.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

In a strong stance that places her at odds with Labor colleagues, Tanya Plibersek has called for children to be released from Nauru and mainland detention centres as soon as possible.

Look at this here leadership posturing lads.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Housing should be owned and distributed by the state. Housing is a necessity, not a commodity.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Also why is the Turdball trying to Americanize Tafe.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

"Centrelink contracted investigators have also nabbed $1.7 million in fraud by scanning the eBay online auction accounts of welfare recipients who were selling off assets without declaring the sale price as income."

Lmao, what the gently caress.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

The term "optical surveillance" was used to describe tailing people under suspicion of fraudulent activity, such as child support avoidance or income minimisation.
Private investigators said they were restricted to observing people in public places for what was termed "optical surveillance".
It is understood that social media surveillance would follow the same restrictions, with investigators scanning publicly available profiles only, without judicial warrants.

Great now poors have to worry about being stalked by Newstart Gestapo.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

A woman employed in a top Queensland university’s indigenous unit is seeking almost $250,000 in damages from jobless students, academics and others in a new legal challenge relying on Australia’s racial discrimination laws.

Cindy Prior accuses three staff at the Queensland University of Technology in Brisbane — professor­s Anita Lee Hong and Sharon Hayes, and equity director Mary Kelly — and five students in a racial vilification case that is set to reignite tensions over the law’s section 18C.

Tony Abbott, as opposition leader, pledged to repeal the controversial section, which has been slammed by critics as an assault on freedom of speech, but he broke the pledge after becoming prime minister. The section, which makes it unlawful to “offend, insult­, humiliate or intimidate” another­ person or group of people because of their race, colour or ethnic origin, was used in 2011 to find that conservative News Corp commentator Andrew Bolt had breached the law.

Ms Prior, who did not return The Australian’s call yesterday, was an administration officer in the Oodgeroo Unit at QUT’s Gardens­ Point campus, near state parliament. She claims she has suffered­ “offence, embarrassment, humiliation and psychiatric injury­”, as well as ongoing fear for her safety, because of the actions and comments of the students, staffers and university.

The case was triggered after three students, who wandered into the university’s computer lab at the Oodgeroo Unit in May 2013 looking for a place to use a computer, were asked by Ms Prior “whether they were indigenous”.

In legal documents filed in the Federal Circuit Court, Ms Prior says she told the three they were in “an indigenous space for Aborig­inal and Torres Strait students” and that there were other places they could use computers.

Ms Prior, a Noongar woman from the Ballardong nation in Western Australia, said: “The three men told (me) that they were not indig­enous.”

She asked the students to leave the unit and they went away. An hour later a Facebook page, called ‘QUT Stalker Space’, featured a post from one of the students, Alex Wood: “Just got kicked out of the unsigned indigenous computer room. QUT (is) stopping segregation with segregation.”

There were no signs warning visitors that the Oodgeroo Unit at QUT was off-limits to non-indig­enous students. It is understood that the university has expressly rejected the suggestion it condones racial segregation.

Another student, Jackson Powell, wrote on the Facebook page: “I wonder where the white supremacist computer lab is.”

Another post — “ITT niggers” — was attributed to another stud­ent, Calum Thwaites, who has emphatically denied that he had anything to do with the post.

The students, along with two others, Chris Lee and Kyran Findlater, are now accused of racial vilification in Ms Prior’s 18C legal challenge, which is being run by Brisbane solicitor Susan Mori­arty. Only one of the Facebook posts — “ITT niggers” — is regarde­d as obviously pejorative.

But Dr Hayes, a QUT lecturer, is accused in the legal action­ of having stated at the time that “it seems a bit silly” to kick someone out of an indigenous computer lab for not being indig­enous when there are computers not being used. She had suggested that Ms Prior may have been in breach of QUT policy by asking students who visited the Oodgeroo Unit whether they were indigenous. Ms Prior said she felt “sick, furious and distraught” after the comments of Dr Hayes.

Ms Prior’s action cites Kyran Findlater as having written on the Facebook page: “My Student and Amenity fees are going to furbish rooms in the university where inequality reigns supreme? I believe if we have to pay to support these sorts of places, there should at least be more created for general purpose use, but again, how do these sorts of facilities support interaction­ and community within QUT? All this does is encourage separation and inequality.”

Ms Prior said she went home sick and feeling very stressed on May 29, 2013, as she did not feel safe and was worried about verbal or physical attack.

The university’s equity director, Ms Kelly, who reviewed the matter soon afterwards, removed some of the Facebook posts, and told Ms Prior that three students had taken down the material.

She told her that Dr Hayes had agreed to make no further comment­ about it, while top-level meetings of the vice-chancellor and deputy vice-chancellor resolved­ to put strategies in place, remind students of the code of conduct, and support Ms Prior’s return to work with the help of the university’s rehabilitation and wellness manager.

However, Ms Prior advised that she was complaining to the Australian Human Rights Commission. In a subsequent meeting, Ms Kelly told Ms Prior: “With the small amount of contact I’ve had with the students, it is clear that these students aren’t racist.

“They were just being nasty. There is no white supremacy group at QUT. Check out what racial vilification is before you jump in. They’re not going to come into your office with a baseball bat.”

Seven staff went to an August 1, 2013, meeting with Ms Prior to encourage her to return to work, but her request for a daily security guard patrol was refused. She was then offered a role in a campus on the northside of Brisbane, but rejected it due to the travel and became “unfit for work”.

Her legal challenge claims the Facebook posts were “reasonably likely to offend, insult, humiliate or intimidate her” and other Aborigina­l and Torres Strait Islande­r people, and contravened section 18C of the Racial Discrimination Act.

Her claim for $247,570.52 includes­ lost wages from May 29, 2013, to September 6 last year.

Mr Powell, 22, the student who posted “I wonder where the white supremacist computer lab is”, swore in an affidavit yesterday: “I detest any form of racial discrim­ination. As an Australian and a university student, I was appalled to learn that racial segregation was being practised on the campus of my university.

“Of course, I have no objection to people of the same ethnicity being provided with a place where they can meet and discuss issues of common concern.

“To my mind, however, it is a very different matter when education­al facilities, such as a computer lab provided by the university, are barred to all students except those of a particular race or ethnicity.”

Mr Powell, who studied for a degree in interactive entertainment and is preparing to go to South Korea to seek work, said he did not know any of the other students­ accused by Ms Prior in the legal case.

He said he used a reference to “white supremacists’’ because he was picking on “the most obnoxio­us group of people I could think of, firmly believing that nobody­ could seriously imagine QUT ever providing facilities exclusiv­ely for the use of such persons, but also with the intention that readers of my message would be rightly horrified by the very idea of preferential treatment for white supremacists.

“I now appreciate that what was intended by me as a humorous or lighthearted rhetorical device could potentially be regarded as distasteful by some people. For that, I am very sorry.”

Mr Powell said he did not believe that anyone reading the messages in context could find them “offensive, insulting, humil­iating or intimidating”. “What I objected to was the fact of racial or ethnic discrimination, not the particular ‘race, colour or national or ethnic origin’ of the students who benefit from it,’’ he said.

Mr Powell said he would have reacted the same way if the QUT had set up a “James Joyce Unit’’, providing facilities exclusively for the benefit of Irish students interested in the Irish novelist and poet.

The Human Rights Commission determined in August last year that there was “no reasonable prospect of the matter being settled by conciliation”, resulting in it being filed in the Federal Circuit Court.

A legal reply from Mr Powell’s lawyer, Tony Morris QC, alleges that Ms Prior had breached the Discrimination Act herself by not permitting fee-paying students to use the computers on the basis of their ethnicity. “(Ms) Prior conceived it to be part of the duties of her employment, and took it upon herself, to police and enforce the discriminatory constraint,’’ the legal reply states.

QUT vice-chancellor Peter Coaldrake said yesterday: “QUT takes these sorts of things and all of our obligations very seriously, and very regrettably in this case the matter is in the courts.’’

The Australian has sought comment from Ms Kelly, Professor Lee Hong, Dr Hayes, several­ of the students, Ms Prior and her solicitor.

None returned calls or emails.

But Bolt said yesterday: “The more we divide ourselves by race, the more we will see this kind of battle and these attempts to restric­t free speech.”

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I think Australia is actually doomed. Like at least America became scared shitless of McCain and Mittens after seeing what years of GWB and neo conservatism did to working families.

Whereas in Australia we doubled down with Howard and Abbott and some people even believe the GFC is Leftist Fiction.

It's all completely nonsensical.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Most of the LNP probably aren't true Christians and just do so out of habit due to adopted GOP playbook political posturing.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Dick Smith receiver Ferrier Hodgson has dispatched the failed retailer's chief financial officer and cut 22 office jobs as well as uncovering as much as $2 million in the underpayment of staff entitlements.
Michael Potts, who joined Dick Smith as CFO back in 2013 has left the company along with the office staff as part of what Ferrier Hodgson called a "restructuring of the group's support office."
The receivers' analysis of Dick Smith's books since it took control of the ailing business in early January has also revealed staff were potentially underpaid leave loading entitlements totalling as much as $2 million.

Queensland Edit:
The rough start to the year for the Palaszczuk government has been reflected in the polls, with the LNP renewed favourites to win an election, if one was to be held now.
If Labor can keep all its 43 MPs in line and in the party, that election is not scheduled to be held until early 2018.
But the latest Morgan Poll, which was taken between January 29 and February 1, in the wake of Labor Cairns MP Rob Pyne expressing his frustrations with the party, shows the LNP up 3.5 per cent since December, at the expense of Labor, putting it ahead 52 to 48 on a two-party preferred basis.
The two majors have swapped the lead since Labor took power in the January 2015 election, with neither party managing to hold the public's confidence.
The 925 Queensland respondents maintained this trend in January, adding five points to the LNP's primary vote lead, bringing it to 45.5 per cent, with Labor losing two points to bring it to 36.5 per cent, the Greens dropping a point to 9 per cent, Katter's Australian Party dropping half a per cent to take 3 per cent of the primary vote and independents falling 2.5 points in support, to 4.5 per cent.
But despite losing 4 per cent in support as "better" premier, Annastacia Palaszczuk remains overwhelmingly more popular a choice than Opposition Leader Lawrence Springborg, who, while picking up those four points, still lags 18 points behind.
Ms Palaszczuk scored 61.5 per cent to Mr Springborg's 38.5 per cent.
That has remained largely unchanged since Ms Palaszczuk led Labor to power in Queensland's hung parliament.
Parliament will sit for the first time in 2016 later this month, bringing one of the government's toughest challenges with it - passing its alcohol fuelled violence laws, which, without the Katter's support, leaves Labor one vote short.

Anidav fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Feb 4, 2016

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/business/retail/dick-smith-receiver-removes-cfo-and-22-staff-20160204-gmle49.html

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tu1QwdiK5rk

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Pictured: Clive Palmer counting all the money he saved after the scrapping of the carbon tax, sources say it was put in a vending machine. The can of cola got stuck, Mr. Palmer then bought the vending machine itself.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Pictured: In normal clothes during the day, the Queensland superhero believes no one will suspect by night he is The Queensland Nickel.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Hey, I did nothing to you.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Lmao Gympie road is nothing but LNP billboards.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Birb Katter posted:

Not wearing a poo poo watch so it wasn't Anime David

mate

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

A rather interesting poll being done today. Few thousand sample, how do you feel about a DD election,majority approve of Turnbull, disapprove LNP, disapprove gst, most don't care when election is held.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

:vince:

Nice try being hip on social media ALP but Jeremy is loving vicious.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I'm not dumb :eng99:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Actually Welfare Island is just a name, it's more of a peninsula.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

We got shitloads of internal polling about the GST and Turnbull is just blowing whichever way the wind blows. Most Australians, even Liberal voters think that there should be something done about tax skipping multinationals instead. Ironically, by design this will be similar to the mining tax. :v:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Sunk cost fallacy. If it still boots up why fix it.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Medicare, pharmaceutical and aged-care benefits would be delivered by the private sector
benefits would be delivered by the private sector

*renews Greens membership*

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

*signs TPP giving American Pharmaceuticals a gently caress ton of power in regards to medicine access*
*Attempts to privatize health*

No lobbyists here, no siree.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

If the ALP doesn't gain in the polls now then I don't know what the gently caress.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

EvilElmo is friendlyjordies

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Career politicians are part of an industry not a democracy. Change comes from the outside not the inside.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Wouldn't the right just turn it into a custom credit card that the government disables if you spend it on alcohol and or normal fun. Demonizing poor people further as the liberals wave around disabled card statistics and argue for a lower basic income? Making it more invasive to your privacy than centrelink ever was.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

But this is Australia.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Thsts the thing though. What I described prior is basicly the closest I can imagine Australia getting to UBI and it would still end up more invasive than what we have now.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Stop being mean to each other. United we stand, divided we drink piss.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

You can get access to MPs though fake watches huh? Interesting...

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Hi. I've done a million polls and stopping a fantasy Muslim invasion is one of the most common answers for thinking about an issue for Australia to solve.

Sometimes I feel like the refugee policy will never change, not because of me but because of the people I talk to everyday.

The average Australian is scared and wants to protect their white children from the foreign hordes.

No amount of public conversation from the LNP or ALP will change that. I love where I live but ultimately we are a poo poo country. An ongoing experiment about how far the politics of fear can take us into inhumane practices before we only see madness.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Donated 15 dollars each to the greens and ALP Brisbane Lord mayor campaign. I want to see Quirk eat poo poo.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

hooman posted:

After Prime Minister Tony Abbott nothing can hurt me any more.

Those teeth though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

The three private training colleges that collapsed, leaving thousands of students in limbo, received at least $66 million in government-funded student loans.
They had been recently audited by the national regulator and were found to be compliant, with the largest college still under investigation.

As news of the closures trickled to concerned students on Thursday, former employees revealed the colleges recruited students from foster homes, homeless shelters, women's refuges, aged care homes and drug rehabilitation centres.
Aspire College of Education, The Design Works College of Design, the Australian Indigenous College and the affiliated RTO Services Group and National Training and Development were placed in voluntary administration on Tuesday, with at least 500 staff affected.

Aspire College has 20 campuses across Australia, including one in Broadmeadows, where the blinds were drawn on Thursday.
Business student Ahmet Guler said he had "no idea what was going on".
He runs a popular kebab shop next door, on a tiny strip of Pascoe Vale road, which is teeming with training colleges and job service agencies.
The three colleges are owned by Global Intellectual Holdings, one of the country's largest vocational education company, which is also in administration. Global Intellectual Holdings made $83 million in revenue in the year to June 2015 and there are concerns more colleges associated with the company at risk.

A few doors up from Mr Guler's shop is Keystone College – a training college affiliated with the large company that is subject to a regulatory audit.
While company records show Keystone is still registered, the doors of the college were suddenly locked at lunchtime on Thursday, and the lights inside were turned off. A teacher from the college said his pay had been "frozen", and he was told to take his teaching equipment home.
The collapses follows a federal government crackdown on the scandal-plagued vocational education sector, including bans on inducements like free laptops and freezing payments to private colleges to 2015 levels.
Australian Indigenous College student Bianca Chatfield knew something was wrong when the college laid off its cook and campus auntie in early December. The college –which predominantly enrols Indigenous students – then stopped marking her work.
The Brisbane mother was close to finishing a diploma in business and has been left with $16,000 in VET FEE-HELP debt.
"They are teaching a diploma in business but they didn't have business ethics," she said.

It comes as the Victorian government starts a second quality blitz on training colleges, this time focusing on high risk qualifications like security, early childcare education and building and construction courses. The state government has withheld $12 million in funding while it investigates 12 providers with short course durations, high dropout rates and other anomalies.
Since July last year, the Victorian Education Department has started 43 investigations into private colleges and is reclaiming $30 million in funds.
Victorian Training and Skills Minister Steve Herbert called on the federal government to take a more "interventionist" approach. "They need a heavier hand. They need to review how they fund VET FEE-HELP, how they distribute the money and whether they continue funding courses with very low completion rates."

Aloi Burgess, who runs at least 10 different education providers, and his co-director Roger Williams did not return calls on Thursday.
Vocational Education and Skills Minister Luke Hartsuyker said his first priority was the welfare of students.
"There are procedures in place for these situations where providers suddenly close their doors."

VET-FEE HELP providers are required to have tuition assurance, with gives affected students assistance to move to another provider or to receive a refund for incomplete studies.
He said he was unsure how many students had been affected.

• Locked thread