Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Do the BOM actually keep their data and methodology secret? What data do they want that they can't have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Nah mate I'm in favour of gay marriage and wind farms so I'm obviously a leftist.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

*makes heart shape with hands*

OK that's enough for one day, let's get back to cutting welfare.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Our ~secular~ society.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Fireworks were banned years ago due to the meddling of the RSPCA.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

If they were interested in that they'd be trying to get pets banned altogether.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Zenithe posted:

Yes, because house pets are true cruelty, unlike the peaceful happy lifestyle that feral cats and dogs exist in. Are you suggesting owning a pet is cruel or harmful to them.

I'm suggesting that the culture of pet ownership results in unnecessary harm to animals.

1. Some pet animals are harmed.
2. If there were no pet animals that harm could not occur.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Zenithe posted:

Yes, because my cat, who isn't exposed to ticks, cars, FIV, starvation, random kids, further pregnancies like she was before she was rescued is being caused unnecessary harm.

I must be such a bastard, along with every other responsible pet owner.

That's not the argument I'm making.

Your cat probably wouldn't even exist, and wouldn't have had to have been rescued from further harm, if it weren't for the culture of pet ownership.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

No, but your cat is almost certainly descended from pet cats.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Do you think it's likely that your cat is descended from cats brought here, not as pets, in the 1800s, with no interbreeding with pet or former-pet cats in the intervening period?

Even if that is the case I don't see how it's relevant. I think the argument you're trying to make is that the suffering incurred by some pet animals is negligible compared to the benefits they provide to their owners, and that the suffering is something we're going to have to accept if we want to benefit from their company. That's probably an arguable position, but it's a separate argument.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Bring back fireworks.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I don't hate kittens and I didn't attack them. I said that the existence of pets enables their suffering. Do you think that something that doesn't exist is capable of suffering, or do you think that the suffering of pets is necessary?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I thought it was pretty obvious too.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Zenithe posted:

House pets suffer less (in the vast majority of cases) than feral animals, which exist in their thousands in this country. How about you address issues in the real world instead of some weird alternate reality you are considering where pets aren't and never have been a thing.
If they didn't exist they wouldn't suffer at all! I can't believe this is a controversial statement.

If I wanted to talk about real world problems I would talk about real world problems.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

SadisTech posted:

e: You know the more I think about it, the more I love that you're literally arguing "X exists, therefore X can suffer, therefore X should not exist" which, if you follow the logic, implies that nothing capable of suffering should exist. End all life higher than bacteria FTW

That X exists therefore X can suffer is not, or at least doesn't have to be, an argument against the existence of X.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I'm pretty sure people would call you that anyway.

Do you disagree with the argument, Amethyst?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Well it's not one I would expect people to disagree with.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I don't think that's true. People complain about not having things that don't exist all the time.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Well I'm responsible with my gun.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Amethyst posted:

Ah yes, pet ownership is exactly like gun ownership. This is a new frontier of thought on The Pet Issue.

Tell me about the differences between pet and gun ownership, Amethyst.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Gorilla Salad posted:

So you're saying to fix Australia's problem with racism against Aborigines we should forcibly sterilise them?

...no? Are you?

[EDIT: If Aboriginal people were being kept as pets I'd be calling for an end to the practice though.]

open24hours fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Feb 2, 2016

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

That's not true. People are scared of and hateful towards witches and the Devil and various other entities that don't exist. More effective to get rid of the racists, or, ideally, the racism.

Besides, getting rid of racism towards Aboriginal people and only Aboriginal people is a pretty weak goal and even if you succeeded the racism would manifest in some other form and you'd be back where you started.

open24hours fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Feb 2, 2016

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Well if your goal was reduce racism towards Aboriginal people and that was it then yes, I guess your plan might work in a kind of superficial way. I'd imagine the process of extermination would involve quite a bit of racism so I guess you'd have to work out whether the additional racism you've created would be matched by potential future racism you eliminate.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Gorilla Salad posted:

That's open24hours' personal belief. I'm just trying to show him how stupid it is :shrug:

It's really not though.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Does that say that I think they shouldn't exist?

I mean I know it's tempting to assume that, but it's not what I said.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Gorilla Salad posted:

It's a non argument that accomplishes nothing which is the entirety of my point.

It's a truism. I don't see why people get so riled up by it. I'm not trying to take your pets away.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

They're just distractions to take the focus off the undue political influence wielded by the RSPCA.

open24hours fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Feb 2, 2016

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Probably in league with the RSPCA.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

An end to preferences meaning a first past the post system?

The idea that changing the rules around preferences will make our system 'more democratic' is a bit of a stretch. What will it achieve except making it easier for the major parties to say one thing before the election and do the opposite afterwards?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

In some countries the constitution forbids retrospective legislation. Shame we don't live in one.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

More Amethyst please.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

quote:

If the Government was truly interested in your safety and not purely on a moralistic crusade
Well there's your problem.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

The CSIRO might be getting cut but at least we can rely on the private sector to answer the important questions.‎

http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/beauty/scientists-have-discovered-what-causes-resting-bitch-face-20160203-gml6em.html

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I hadn't heard of this guy before so I looked him up. He seems pretty inoffensive? What's he done?

quote:

http://robert-simms.greensmps.org.au/sites/default/files/higher_education_update_edition_1_january_2016.pdf
In November I spoke against the government’s Overseas HELP Bill, which will now mean that thousands of Australian expatriates and long-term travellers with outstanding HELP debt will be burdened with a huge amount of self-reporting responsibilities to the Australian government. If they fail to comply with these new obligations, it will mean that they fall into the same category as tax evaders.

I still don't understand the opposition to this. I mean I'm all for free education and whatnot but it hardly seems fair that people who stay in Australia should have to pay and people who move overseas shouldn't. Treating them like tax evaders seems entirely appropriate as that's essentially what they're doing.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

quote:

The member for Melbourne’s party from time to time tries to create the impression that it has a monopoly on empathy, a monopoly on morality. It doesnot. If the government were to follow the policies advocated by the Greens party in this regard, the consequence would not simply be tens of thousands of unauthorised arrivals coming to Australia, it would be thousands of deaths at sea.

Double majority.

A majority in both houses? There must be a snappier term.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Question time is a farce, I don't know why they bother showing up.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Quantum Mechanic posted:

Adamantly refuses to campaign on free education, refused to print pamphlets for O-week despite having a 100k+ budget for printing because RDN wouldn't let him.

Despite ripping the higher ed portfolio off Lee Rhiannon several months ago, I had to walk one of his staffers through the entire situation of TAFE in NSW and write a media release for them over the phone because otherwise they would have messaged on TAFE as a "viable alternative" for VET.

Nothing about his performance thus far has been impressive and he's comprehensively failing to fill some VERY big shoes re: higher ed. Dropping the ball on O-week is unacceptable.

I give him some credit, though, a lot of the issue is that he's taking marching orders off RDN.

I guess there's no simple answer, but do the Greens leadership not want to campaign on free education for a reason? Worried about being painted as 'fiscally irresponsible' or something?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

The idea that these kinds of things are antithetical to academic inquiry is really confusing two entirely separate arguments.

Universities do two things: they teach and research, and they provide pastoral care. The two spheres should remain separate and the teaching and research side shouldn't have to worry about political correctness (and I mean this in the original sense, not that they shouldn't be polite to people or avoid using racist or sexist slurs or whatever). The pastoral care side should be doing whatever they need to do to ensure that students and researchers can succeed in whatever it is they are trying to do. If providing prayer rooms or indigenous centres helps with this then, as long as it's not disadvantaging anyone else, who cares?

[edit: I guess we'll have to wait until it goes to court to find out what the actual facts of the matter are. The Australian can't be trusted.]

open24hours fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Feb 5, 2016

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

in these days of alcopops and coward punches how could they not close the CBD? Please Mr Baird, keep me safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Mandatory zorbs.

• Locked thread