Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Graic Gabtar posted:

Sorry I couldn't do better Jonah.

Does anyone like Jonah? Asking for Jonah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

He's better than Amethyst or Negligent? :shrug:

No way. Negligent sure, but I haven't been paying that much attention lately.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Jonah Galtberg posted:

Jonah doesn't particularly mind either way but Jonah thanks you for your concern

My thoughts are with the family of Jonah.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Ket posted:

From your quote about current usage: dandy
or: someone who takes care in his appearance like a girl. Whatever you might think, it's definitely implying that to most people that hear it.

I have no horse in this race but that's not the definition of dandy, did you get that from urban dictionary or just make it up yourself?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Frogmanv2 posted:

Its not to me.

Or to anyone that knows what they're talking about

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dandy

e: dandy snype

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Negligent posted:

historically if people called you a foppish dandy it was code for poofter, hth

Definition of fop in English:
noun

A man who is concerned with his clothes and appearance in an affected and excessive way.
EXAMPLE SENTENCES
SYNONYMS
dandy, beau, poseur, glamour boy, man about town, bright young thing, rake;
French boulevardier, petit-maître
informal swell, toff, snappy dresser, sharp dresser, natty dresser, trendy, pretty boy
archaic coxcomb, popinjay, peacock, buck

Except it hasn't. Can you give an example of fop or dandy being used as code for gay? Because it doesn't mean that and never has. Not a single one of your synonyms means gay either. Seriously just read the Wikipedia articles on either term for a start, a dandy is one who places great importance in dressing well and having sophisticated tastes and hobbies. Fop is a pejorative meaning the person is as above in only the most superficial ways. A pretentious, upper class twit in other words.

You're the one using the word incorrectly, and if you can show me to be wrong I'll buy you plats or something.

katlington posted:

The effete dandy postured histrionically

So you added "effete" because dandy doesn't imply that on its own? What point were you making?

I know this seems silly to waste so much time on this, but use language correctly please.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

Yes and of course when we were all told when JuLIAR was in power that we needed to "Ditch the Witch" well of course, you see, ah, well, JuLIAR was practicing black magic and therefore literally fit the dictionary definition of a witch. I even saw her cavorting with Satan on a hilltop.

You're a hard person to share a position with sometimes BB, this and the last thing you wrote were total nonsense. He's just flat out wrong about the word and instead you're making weird excuses to justify using an offensive term (which it isn't).

e: also Cartoon is right, best not to dig up old poop

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Feb 15, 2016

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Zenithe posted:

Wow.

"My holy book forbids it, and I believe everybody should follow its' rules"

Was that so hard? That is the most insane response to same sex marriage I think I have ever heard. Except maybe that pastor who said if he got invited to one he'd stand at the entrance smearing himself with poo poo.

Hoooooold up, I'm going to need a link for this!

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Zenithe posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pLobWHDdVw

Oh poo poo, I forgot about the smiley face bit.

That was wonderful, thank you

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

MonoAus posted:

That whole fop debate was pretty horrible to read.

"Hey everyone I read that human being means bundle of sticks, not gay!"

Language evolves, I get it, but I have never heard fop being used as anything but a synonym for self absorbed twit.

quote:

Pretty clear that fop (while it obviously has many meanings) is often associated with effeminate behaviour which is often seen as a homosexual thing. I dislike MT but it really is the last word I'd use to describe him and falling in to the same patterns as people who'd write 'ditch the witch' signs about Julia isn't something to aspire to

Just the one meaning, I thought. Do you have any examples? I'll even accept blog posts at this point.
Really it seems like people's defences are on auto pilot because it has connotations to do with personal appearance.
Guess what, men are obsessed with appearances and fashion too, always have been.

e: I don't give a poo poo about a catchy anti-Turnball slogan either

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Feb 15, 2016

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Unironically thanks for these. Though the 1st one is unconvincing, the 2nd from 2004 does establish a connection that was previously completely unknown to me.
I'd maintain as Smegmatron, rather bluntly put it, that it's common meaning has in no way been supplanted, but I am a man of my word so enjoy your plats certificate.

e: or at least, you will once the SA gift cert page stops timing out.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Feb 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Gorfob posted:

I've been too busy to give a gently caress and trying to avoid getting stabbed by dementia patients.

This is an accurate metaphor for the Australian government and general public.

• Locked thread