Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

xPanda posted:

Oh great, the statin woman on catalyst is trying to even further destroy her and the show's credibility with wifi cancer claims.

Fairly sure her claims on statins have been validated though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

xPanda posted:

Nope, she's dead wrong. She's probably causing the premature death of thousands.

This opinion piece seems to think there's more to it:
https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/29920479/the-deafening-silence-on-the-debate-over-cuting-statins/

Which is talking about this study:
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1586/17512433.2015.1012494

quote:

We have provided a critical assessment of research on the reduction of cholesterol levels by statin treatment to reduce cardiovascular disease. Our opinion is that although statins are effective at reducing cholesterol levels, they have failed to substantially improve cardiovascular outcomes.

I really have no strong feelings either way apart from the hysteria at the time seemed a little over the top.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Laserface posted:

No you see I don't have a car and cannot understand why someone should want one or even enjoy using one so therefore ban all cars. I also think education is fantastic but not when it's training you how to operate a car better than our current lovely standard of education because cars are evil. I also totally ignore the parallels between speed governing every single car and the Sydney lockout laws. And what do you mean you heard me yesterday lamenting the erosion of our freedom and privacy in the name of safety what how is that even related.

I ride a bicycle and what makes me mad is my helmet messing up my fringe on my way to work in the morning.

After the 50s we designed our cities solely around cars, even going so far as to rip out trams because they got in the cars way, arguing that driver training needs to be stringent is pure fantasy in a society which believes driving is a right and probably can't get to the shops or work without a car.

As much as car enthusiasts might hate it, driving is not pleasurable or fun for 99% of people it's a lovely boring grind they have to do every day in order to survive.

Not speed limiting cars because you might like to go to the track once a decade because "freedom" is stupid. It's a public safety issue similar to how we mandate cars need to be safe in case a crash happens. All that extra weight is probably loving you up at the track too.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Laserface posted:

Most people have the ability to go faster than the posted speed limit but hey guess what, the vast majority of motorists dont and even of the portion that do, an even smaller portion result in injuries or death.

Motor vehicle deaths and injuries are astonishingly high, actually. We just accept it as a 'road toll' and call crashes 'accidents' (oopsies!). People can barely not crash doing the speed limit* let alone have the ability to safely pilot a car at greater speeds.

* also an abused word. people think it means "acceptable minimum"

I think we can achieve better outcomes with design instead of speed governors, but until we redo nearly all of our urban landscape perhaps it's a good solution.

Laserface posted:

We are a nation of whingers. we dont want other people doing/having/getting anything we dont do/have/get. If they do, we want them punished.

I agree. I don't think people not wanting tons of metal speeding around falls into that, though. It's more they don't want tons of metal hitting them at high speeds and are actually not jealous of your driving skills or whatever.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

hooman posted:

That's very interesting, thanks! What is the argument against installing buses with seatbelts other than "buses don't currently have seatbelts"?

A lower injury risk is still a risk that could be lowered further with seatbelts. I'm slightly biased because I've seen someone break an arm on a bus that they wouldn't have broken had they been wearing a seatbelt. My sister has also been in a bus crash where the majority of injuries were due to them not having seatbelts.

It's probably something to do with load/unload speed at stops

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Laserface posted:

There is a town in Germany where a whole bunch of street signs (not road names, just give way/stop/suggested corner speeds, speed limits etc) where removed and overall people travelled slower and there was less accidents in the area during the trial. The argument was that too much information and segregated transport (pedeestrians/bikes/cars) was making people complacent and the uncertainty and additional risk make people more careful.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/germany/2185762/German-town-bans-road-signs-to-cut-accidents.html

Im trying to find a follow up article but it seems like a pretty sound idea for regional/suburban areas. No signs, a low speed limit, and very few, simple rules.

The follow up was people got used to it all and accidents and speed increased back to where they were before the changes.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Laserface posted:

My car is loud (legally) and I dont have issues with people in carparks wandering aimlessly in front of me. I drove my girlfriends car through a shared zone the other night and about 20 clueless people turned around surprised to see a car slowly creeping behind them.

So you're saying you use your loud car to intimidate people in to giving way to you. In places like carparks and shared zones where you should be giving way to them. Cool.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

I'm only anti-car because they've ruined our cities permanently, though. It's not personal.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Agreed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Cartoon posted:

I'm not here to dog pile you but the evidence is pretty impressive:

All from http://www.rba.gov.au/publications/bulletin/2015/sep/pdf/bu-0915-3.pdf

This shows that the rate of price growth is outstripping any relation to underlying value AND CPI

This shows that the market has essentially hit saturation for what households can afford to spend on housing (30% of income is actually a pretty significant figure for housing see below).

Lol at the misleading scale

• Locked thread