Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
"Well they can't predict the weather accurately all the time so why bother at all?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

My friend, who is left wing and somewhat of a feminist activist (shes an amazing and cool person) yesterday said "You know Turnbull isn't that bad" and i think i had an aneurysm please send help

e: clarity

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

man i know it's hot today but i can't believe amethyst is already melting down

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

bitches are just a garage where i park my enormous cock. why won't the ladies talk to me. stupid dumb whore always go for jerks instead of nice guys like meeeee

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

As a straight, white, upper middle class male university student, I am sick and tired of being persecuted and oppressed by what I can only define as a gynocracy.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Birdstrike posted:

ocelots are good pets

but even better masters

no pets no masters

namaste

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

QUACKTASTIC posted:

5yo boy allegedly raped on Nauru could be sent back to detention centre, doctor says

A five-year-old boy who was allegedly raped on Nauru is facing the prospect of being returned to the offshore detention centre where his attacker remains.

The revelations come from paediatricians who have detailed their concerns to the ABC about the child and the wellbeing and safety of about 160 other children held in Australia's detention centres.

Paediatrician Karen Zwi said the young child suffered serious mental health problems after the alleged sexual assault.

"Like many other children who are very distressed he regressed, he began bed-wetting, he became very anxious about his mother's wellbeing, he actually began to self-harm, as I've seen several other children do as well and eventually he was transferred over to the mainland for treatment," Dr Zwi said.

She said the child's greatest fear was returning to Nauru.

"That is this huge cloud hanging over him. That he will be returned to an absolutely traumatic and devastating environment for him."

The boy's fate is likely to hang on the result of a High Court decision about a challenge to the Federal Government's policy of sending asylum seekers arriving by boat to detention at centres on Manus Island and Nauru, that will be delivered tomorrow.

If the court case fails, Immigration Minister Peter Dutton has flagged his intentions of sending the group of 160 adults, 37 babies and 54 other children back to Nauru.

Detention 'breaking spirit' of young people

In exclusive interviews, two young women spoke to the ABC, giving first-hand accounts of the horrific conditions children are enduring in offshore detention centres.

One of the girls, Jamilah, 20, from Somalia, said being in detention on Christmas Island had broken her spirit.

"My friends, all of them, they were harming themselves. I tried to be strong and say that was not the right thing I could do," she said.

"I was thinking killing myself was the last thing I could do in my life."

Another girl, Assiya, who was held on Nauru for more than 12 months, told the ABC how she attempted to kill herself after daily taunts from her captors and being physically assaulted by a guard.

"I used to be a very strong person and always tried to think positive but they really break me down. There was a point I couldn't think of life anymore," she said.

"Sometimes the guards bring video of the Prime Minister and they make us watch it, saying you will never call Australia home. Same thing that they tell us every day.

"The more you try to do something, the more you get upset and hurt and treated like animals."

She said she attempted to hang herself with a scarf and was saved by a friend from dying.

A mincing machine' of traumatic events

After doctors raised concerns about the mental health of Assiya and Jamilah, both were transferred to the mainland for treatment.

But they face the prospect of being returned to detention at any time.

Dr Zwi said children kept in offshore detention had "been through a mincing machine".

"They've had one traumatic event after another. Sometimes I feel they are broken into little bits and it's really hard to put the pieces back together again," she said.

"It's almost impossible to help them to heal and recover if they know that they're going to go back to that environment."

Average detention time for children stretches to 14 months

Around 160 children are being held in detention by Australian authorities.

The figure has dropped from 2013, when the number of children detained reached almost 2,000. But children are being held for much longer, an average of 14 months.

On a visit to Nauru, paediatrician Hasantha Gunasekera said he was horrified to see how the children were suffering.

"We hardly ever see young children and adolescents so traumatised by life that they would want to take their own life," Dr Gunasekera said.

"But in Nauru and in detention centres where kids have been kept, sometimes for most of their life, we see very young children who just can't take it anymore and try to kill themselves or wanting to hurt themselves. Or saying things like, 'I may as well just jump off the roof'.

"There's no point anymore. I had one parent say to me, 'I brought my kids here for them to be safe, not to learn how to commit suicide'. What do you say to a parent like that?"

Doctors speak out despite jail threat

Dr Gunasekera and Dr Zwi know they could be charged and jailed for speaking out about what they have seen in Australia's detention centres.

Under the Border Force Act passed in 2014, anyone working in immigration detention, including doctors, faces two years' imprisonment for revealing details of what goes on there.

"Paediatricians have a responsibility to make sure the system stops damaging children and that's why many of us have chosen to speak out," Dr Zwi said.

Dr Gunasekera said if Australians knew what was happening in offshore detention, they would be shocked.

"If the Australian people knew actually what was happening, if they saw the trauma on the faces of the kids like we saw," he said.

"That's why there is secrecy around every part of this policy, it's because its so shameful."

A spokesman for Mr Dutton said he would not be making any comments about the High Court challenge until after the announcement.

"We will wait to see what the court decides and make comment after that," he said.

He said the medical attention given to people in Australian-run detention centres was "pretty much what you get in Australia".

The spokesman said issues relating to doctors speaking out under the Border Force Act were dealt with last year and that it was made clear that the provisions were needed to protect sensitive information.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-02/boy-allegedly-raped-on-nauru-could-be-sent-back-to-detention/7132608

:(

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

starkebn posted:

More Pavel please

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Yeah look those 3 morons were probably trying to cause some kind of thing, Level 5 of Y block is loving out of the way when compared to the library computers or the other computer labs on that campus.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Also I'll be at the Brisbane protest tomorrow, for anyone interested

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Ket posted:

Tomorrow as in Friday? What time are they?

Varies depending on the location, the Brisbane one is at 12pm at the Department of Immigration and Citizenship on Adelaide St. If you Facebook search The Greens it's one of the posts which has facebook events for each major city

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Because the costs of enforcing it may outweigh the benefits. Honestly I don't know too much about how much money it's going to take to chase these people down and poo poo, so I could be wrong and it's extremely lucrative

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Mista speaker, I will, if I may, attack the party of the question and deflect the fact that I condone the torturing of child refugees.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

NTRabbit posted:

Getting sued for being both amusing and entirely accurate is pretty poo poo. Prior sounds like a real running poo poo of a delicate fuckwit.

nice

NTRabbit posted:

You have to have the worst kind of rocks in your head to believe that anything about Prior's reaction to this is both warranted and legitimate. The single racist facebook comment of disputed origin is the only bad part, otherwise she's behaving like a professional victim looking for offence and an easy pay day.

look i had written a paragraph which examined the case and the location and where the comments were posted, but you aren't really interested in that so just shut the gently caress up, i guess

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

NTRabbit posted:

What else would you call a person who lodges a HRC complaint against students for questioning the need for segregation, then suing both the students and staff members who attempted to intercede - including one whose job it was to intercede - for a quarter of a million dollars, and on top of that attemptint to extort settlement money out of the students?

It's not segregation, the computers are aimed to be used by Indigenious and Torres Strait Islander students, in a location where they can easily access culturally sensitive and relevant assistance.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Hmm I see that you are shifting the goalposts now

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

NTRabbit posted:

Anyone advocating "safe spaces" and segregation has no business being on a university campus, and that includes women's collectives.

Please tell me more about why you think this

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

NTRabbit posted:

Anyone advocating "safe spaces" and segregation has no business being on a university campus, and that includes women's collectives. That's the sort of pseudo scientific nonsense that has turned American higher education into a public joke in recent months.

Okay cool so please link some articles where this is examined, and NOT from Vox Populi or "an anonymous professor wrote to me and said X"

e: no breitbart

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Picture of before the protest in Brisbane, Recoome sighted in this picture (white guy, black shirt left of frame). I held up one of the Close the Camps signs

That was a good demonstration, although the Police were on the back-foot because the protest was too large for the space and the police didn't anticipate this, so they ended up closing a lane. Peaceful, good speakers, good cause.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

It got super crowded (none of these were mine)

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Yeah I rocked up like 30 minutes prior when it was just getting warmed up.

Which goon was this? I was actually near this guy (was further up the hill)

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Laserface posted:

Theres nothing wrong with alcohol culture though. I know people who can drink a case of beer on their own and they dont get to a point where they are punching randoms in the streets.

the violence issue is another thing entirely separate from drinking that no one wants to talk about because its too hard to solve.

Oh yeah really that's fascinating stuff

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

There's other issues with having such an unhealthy and pervasive alcohol culture. The impairment of judgement which comes with drinking alcohol is a concern but saying that there's nothing wrong with our alcohol culture is pretty hosed up and wrong.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

thatfatkid posted:

L O loving L. Our unhealthy and pervasive alcohol culture? Give it a rest m8. Getting trashed on the weekend and hitting the town isn't a uniquely Australian thing. It happens all over the world and yet other countries somehow still manage to go on without arbitrary bullshit like lockout laws and banning of public drinking.

No please continue drinking excessive amounts of alcohol I mean Korsakoff's isn't that bad I guess

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Also btw I think the lockout laws suck but not acknowledging that we have a bad drinking culture is just dumb

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Remember that we are all descendants of Mother Europe.

Look at what 'we' as a race have accomplished and this is what the 'contaminants', 'proponents of diversity and open borders' seek to destroy.
Coming from a South African, European background, I am proud and blessed.

Nationalism is rising, traitors get out of the way.
They serve the interests of the eternal nation destroyers.
Nationalists serve the people in their best interests and of their nation.

Enjoy

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

While many Australians feel connected and one with this land it's important to remember the thousands of years our DNA has been moulded and shaped by our ancestral homelands.
If Europe ever falls i would never feel the same again.
As European descendants we have the right to return to the homeland if we want to, every person deserves it for their own people.
So why are we being denied ours?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

ScreamingLlama posted:

If it was mostly old and disabled people doing the rorting, you'd have a point. But most of the fraud this time around is being done by Newstart recipients.

Besides, I already HAD my DSP denied once, that's why I had to appeal to the AAT, you dumb gently caress. No, the government shouldn't be tightening DSP eligibility, but that's not the point I'm making here; my point is actual fraud to the tune of billions is still going on, it's not just right-wing noise. (I'm not saying they found the best way to go about combating the fraud, either, but I'd like to see you do better.)

Maybe you are the one defrauding the Commonwealth?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Milky Moor posted:

*in an extremely accurate ASMR voice*

shut the gently caress up screamingllama

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

ScreamingLlama posted:

Every auspol thread is like standing in a Greens echo chamber, listening to the endless echoes of Richard DiNatale/Sarah Hanson-Young worship and choking on pot smoke and patchouli vapour.

And this is the guy who actually wants to go on DSP.

Why don't you pull yourself up by your bootstraps and work?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

turdbucket posted:

Is the obese guy who claimed the disability pension because he is so overweight complaining about "welfare fraud"? Lol.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Solemn Sloth posted:

Good to see the federal government reaffirming its commitment and support of child self harm.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I'd estimate it's because IT upgrades are a long term investment and it's easy to justify not upgrading it to save money.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Still waiting for SL to reply

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Yeah totally sucks that I am having difficulty getting my DSP but loving welfare cheats we should crack down on them and make it harder for people to get centrelink!!!!!!

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

ScreamingLlama posted:

OK then, if you think breaking the law is completely acceptable, then why don't you just drug-traffick your way out of poverty OH WAIT DRUGS ARE BAD AREN'T THEY

Why don't you just work instead of getting welfare?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Is anyone at the Brisbane protest?

I couldn't make it this time, sorry!

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Hmm i guess I choose the empty playground because gently caress the brown people

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Oh right sorry it wasn't a 5 year old boy, the allegations of sexual harrassment was from a 10 year old boy.

Thanks for clearing that one up, Minister

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

ScreamingLlama posted:

I'm not on the DSP because of obesity, you poo poo-dribbling horsefucker. I'm not even really obese because gently caress the BMI algorithm. I'm on disability because of chronic illness, mobility issues and severe panic disorder. If you're going to use those as ammo in this thread, I hope you get stabbed with a dirty needle because you are an irredeemable sack of human garbage.

ScreamingLlama posted:

I don't suppose you've heard of the concept of 'degree of severity'?

No?

Carry on, then.

You are literally a gigantic shitheel.

I was going to write that I couldn't understand why your position is the one you have, especially since you allegedly have health issues which preclude you from working normally. The sad part is that I can understand why you hold this terrible opinion, and that's because you just can't empathize with anyone else. Not only does it appear that you don't really understand that people can be in a lovely situation, but you don't mentalise that people may hold the opinion that you appear to be a "welfare cheat", due to existing stigma regarding mental health.

There really is some brilliant irony in the fact that your application was rejected, and yet you still hold your position. You'd normally expect someone in your position would be more understanding.

• Locked thread