Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

Lid posted:

Daryush "Roosh" Valizadeh, founder of the self-styled men's advocacy group Return of Kings, announced on Twitter on Monday evening that he had booked a ticket on a flight to Australia.

"F--- it, I just booked a flight to Australia. See you somewhere there on 2/6. I'll stay a while, see some sights," Mr Valizadeh tweeted with an screen shot of flight options to Sydney, Canberra, and Melbourne.

"To all attractive Australian girls in age range of 18-22. I'm coming to your country and am free to meet for drinks," he tweeted.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/police-petitioned-to-stop-return-of-kings-meetings-20160201-gmj03r.html#ixzz3yvXnE9kk

So another visa for Potato Dutton to cancel then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.
From the Guardian live blog

quote:

Individual High Court asylum seeker findings

The main orders were written by justices French, Kiefel and Nettle.

Bell then agreed with the answers to the questions of law.

Gageler agreed with the substantive answers to the questions, while noting that “the plaintiff’s central claim (that the commonwealth and the minister acted beyond the executive power of the commonwealth by procuring and enforcing her detention at the regional processing centre between 24 March 2014 and 2 August 2014) to have been well-founded until 30 June 2015, when s 198AHA was inserted with retrospective effect”.

Keane also found 198AHA was a valid law of the commonwealth.

Gordon believed 198AHA was “beyond power and therefore invalid”.

(It would seem section 198AHA made the big difference to the government’s case.)

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Anidav posted:

Dick Smith receiver Ferrier Hodgson has dispatched the failed retailer's chief financial officer and cut 22 office jobs as well as uncovering as much as $2 million in the underpayment of staff entitlements.
Michael Potts, who joined Dick Smith as CFO back in 2013 has left the company along with the office staff as part of what Ferrier Hodgson called a "restructuring of the group's support office."
The receivers' analysis of Dick Smith's books since it took control of the ailing business in early January has also revealed staff were potentially underpaid leave loading entitlements totalling as much as $2 million.

Link please?

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

tithin posted:

https://www.google.com.au/url?q=htt...PI4cN38TIjKG4cw

On phone, can someone grab this article for me??

A damaging feud between the senior executive of one of Australia’s largest unions and her own board remains unresolved after a potentially career-ending disciplinary hearing was abandoned amid accusations of bias.

A meeting of the national executive of the Financial Sector Union convened to hear charges of gross misbehaviour and gross neglect of duty against national secretary Fiona Jordan was yesterday adjourned while the union board seeks legal advice on whether it is too biased to determine the charges.

The truncated hearing, which was shifted at late notice from the ACTU’s Melbourne headquarters to the third floor of an Irish pub, failed to remove the impasse between Ms Jordan and senior union officials she accuses of undermining her attempts at reform.

Instead, the hour-long meeting appears to have created a fresh grievance, with the national executive refusing a request by Ms Jordan to have a support person present at the hearing.

Under the Fair Work Act, an unreasonable refusal by an employer for an employee to have a support person present when termination is discussed can be grounds for unfair dismissal. Prior to the hearing, Ms Jordan was informed that the charges against her were serious and if found guilty, the penalty would range from censure to removal from office.

Ms Jordan was denied legal representation at the hearing. Her chosen support person was an industrial relations consultant who has no affiliation with the union.

The meeting was chaired by union president Louise Arnfield. A date to resume the hearing was not set.

Ms Jordan, a long-serving home lending manager with Westpac popularly elected to the union’s top job 18 months ago, has previously lodged a bullying claim and the industrial equivalent of a restraining order against the union’s national executive. Those complaints are yet to be dealt with.

ACTU secretary David Oliver has tried without success to mediate a truce between Ms Jordan and one of her leading critics within the FSU, assistant national secretary Geoff Derrick.

The venue for yesterday’s meeting, the Celtic Club in Melbourne’s CBD, was the scene of an ugly confrontation during a break at last year’s FSU annual general meeting, when supporters of Ms Jordan and the national executive clashed heatedly.

Ms Jordan claims that a former union employee now advising a senior Victorian government minister told her shortly after she was elected to a four-year-term that the national executive “are going to peel you like an onion.’’

The national executive, which includes the national president, assistant national secretary, state secretaries and representatives from banks and financial institutions covered by the union, believes Ms Jordan has damaged the FSU and put at risk sensitive wage negotiations by publicly declaring war against the board.

In an open letter to members published in September on the union’s website, Ms Jordan accused a “hostile’’ national executive of taking “a series of extraordinary actions’’ to block her reform plans for the financially-troubled union.

“I understand the importance of having a functional organisation and for the national secretary to be answerable to a board as well as to the members,’’ she wrote. “But the level of corrosive, disingenuous and unaccountable behaviour has meant we have reached an impasse.’’

The national executive has sought to curtail Ms Jordan’s influence over the daily running of the union by introducing a series of rule changes which give the board more control over management decisions. Those changes are being resisted by some union members, who have circulated a petition in protest.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I think dying on his way to the Royal Commission would be a fitting way for Pell to go.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

ScreamingLlama posted:

On a side note, I'm OK with Pavel as long as you cut down on the crossdressing shots. Crossdressing is only good when it's convincing IMO.

Perhaps those who don't appreciate Pavel would like some Alexander Skarsgård instead?

I'm not going to complain about Alexander Skarsgard pics, but you know he's cross dressed on the red carpet before, right?

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

hooman posted:

"He told 2GB radio this morning that two–thirds of people are taking advantage of negative gearing have a taxable income less than $80,000,"

I wonder if that low, low taxable income is as a direct result of negative gearing.

Thats a pretty low income to be paying two mortgages out of otherwise.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

MonoAus posted:

I only ask because I often see cyclists on the road riding parallel to purpose built bike paths. Not really an attack, was just wondering why.

I cant speak for everyone else, but on my ride to work most of the bike lanes are dual-purpose bike lane/street parking. I consider it less dangerous to just ride in the car lane than weaving in and out of the bike lane into the car lane and back every time I need to avoid a parked car.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

What are some good organisations that work with/for refugees that I can donate to?

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

This link didn't work, but I donated to the other two. Thanks for the suggestions.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Birb Katter posted:

Auspol March: Mental Illness Poofterism

Hats off to the dude for using his work email so we can find him.

They have a facebook page that they dont appear to monitor too often. Every review they've ever received has been made in the last 30 minutes.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Does he not understand the meaning of homophobe? Does he think because Shorten used it earlier in the day that it's just some random insult you throw at people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Tony Abbott calls for Safe Schools 'social engineering program' to be axed

Their choice of photo to accompany the article is glorious.

• Locked thread