Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Endman posted:

Fair enough, I can agree with that. I just don't think lockout laws are the answer. I believe it'll just shift the problem down the road.

They are not THE answer to all alcohol related problems. They are a modest regulation that according to the Medical Journal of Australia has resulted in a:

quote:

32%–40% drop in assaults across the CBD Entertainment Precinct, and... no increase in the number of assaults in neighbouring police command areas during the 12 months after the changes.

There was also:

quote:

a significant reduction in the number of alcohol-related serious injury and trauma presentations to the emergency department in the 12 months after the introduction of the new liquor regulations. This change was seen throughout the week, but was especially marked at weekends. https://www.mja.com.au/journal/2015/203/9/presentations-alcohol-related-serious-injury-major-sydney-trauma-hospital-after

All these loving cry babies complaining that they can't buy a drink after 3am. Big loving deal. You can't mow the lawn at 3am on a Sunday either.

That does not mean your freedoms are under attack.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Feb 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

redweird posted:

It's not really a positive statistic that assaults are down when across the board there are less people in these locations overall. The data doesn't back it up.

What kind of loving bizarro world logic is this.

Pretend there are 10 assaults on Saturday night in King X and 10000 people go through the area prior to the lock out laws.

After the lockout laws only 5000 people go through Kings X and there are 6 assaults.

That is less assault. 4 people who would've been injured are not being injured.

redweird posted:

What kind of argument is that? There's a lot of stuff you can't do at 3am, but drinking is definitely not one of them. A lot of people revel until the early hours of the morning. People do it all over the world.

Regulating the sale of psychoactive drugs like alcohol is a good thing. Just because something is legal doesn't mean you can do it wherever you want whenever you want.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Feb 22, 2016

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Seagull posted:

if you implement a mandatory curfew which prevents people from entering kings cross after seven assaults are at zero from then on, the system works

Except that's a totally unrealistic and unenforceable policy choice which would cost a fortune.

Meanwhile for a modest change to liquor laws you get a 32%–40% drop in assaults and large decrease in hospital presentations. At some point you will get diminishing returns. I would be open to trialling a 12:30 lockout to test the hypothesis.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Solemn Sloth posted:

Actually it is a positive unless you can demonstrate those assaults are still happening but elsewhere.

He can't because they aren't:

quote:

32%–40% drop in assaults across the CBD Entertainment Precinct, and... no increase in the number of assaults in neighbouring police command areas during the 12 months after the changes. https://www.mja.com.au/journal/2015/203/9/presentations-alcohol-related-serious-injury-major-sydney-trauma-hospital-after

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Birb Katter posted:

How about we make lockout laws from 3pm rather than 3am. When the suits can't get a beer after work the narrative will change.

How about making modest incremental changes and evaluating the effect?

BBJoey posted:

Bring in prohibition imo, alcohol merely promotes immoral behaviours and distracts people from what is truly important: full communism now.

You joke but many people mistakenly believe regulations are a slippery slope towards prohibition. They are idiots.

quote:

Prohibition is the opposite of regulation. Regulation works to the extent that it allows some level of social activity to continue; it becomes counterproductive when it drives users underground. Thus, in relation to alcohol and tobacco, we see a range of licensing controls, plain packaging laws, and so on, which limit the harms associated with these drugs precisely by adopting a regulatory approach. https://theconversation.com/groundhog-day-why-the-asylum-problem-is-like-the-drug-problem-16888

quote:

regulation and prohibition are fundamentally distinct legal regimes. The contrast between them is one of kind, not just degree http://wpsa.research.pdx.edu/meet/2012/carcieri.pdf

KingEup fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Feb 23, 2016

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Birb Katter posted:

Bold the whole thing really. I tried to cherry pick the good bits but had to give up.

I remember a little thread in these very forums about how Australia's housing market is doomed. Whatever happened to that?

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

What ever happened to the Australian housing bubble megathread? Anyone got a link?

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

open24hours posted:

I think people got tired of waiting for it to burst. I suppose it has to eventually, but people have been saying it's just around the corner for like ten years.

But got a link?

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

gay picnic defence posted:

I thought I had it bookmarked but I guess I didn't because I can't find it. I think I remember you posting in it though so check your post history

To my knowledge the post history doesn't include archived threads.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Feb 24, 2016

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Is this the thread you're looking for (requires archives, obviously) Why Australia is Screwed

Many thanks.

So many morons in that thread.

Edit: Looks like the OP NoNotTheMindProbe still posts on SA. What a dumbass. Meanwhile I paid my mortgage off in 6 years since he posted it. What a financial genius he was. He'd probably still tell me I should've been renting.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Feb 24, 2016

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

I wouldn't take his advice even if he answered the question. It's a dumb question to begin with. Politicians don't exist to give personal financial advice.

Here's some good advice though: don't buy McMansions or any unit that is painted in swathes of bright colours to distract you from the fact it is a poorly constructed eyesore unless you want to lose a fuckton of money. Some of the brand new apartments I've seen recently are absolutely appaling. I went to see a place in Coogee recently and it had a man whole in the ceiling that literally went nowhere and a 950000 pricetag. I mean lol, loving lol.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Feb 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Are you in construction?

No.

Also, I am getting fed up with people talking about income relative to average house prices as though that's some kind of 'check mate, we're hosed'. The most recent ABS census data we have indicates that 90% of mortagees spend less than 30% of their income on repayments and that was when interest rates were triple what they are now.

• Locked thread