Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
To be honest I just assumed the DUP were trying their hand at this old trolling lark that the Shinners use to such good effect. I think people taking it seriously is an indication that there are still people around who manage to live their lives without ever talking to people from different backgrounds to their own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
You do get the odd nutter though, for whom reality and logic are distant planets. They will feel right at home with the DUP I would imagine.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
A DUP TD probably wouldn't be that much worse than the Healy-Raes to be fair. Probably just as backward socially, but maybe slightly less corrupt.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Blut posted:

A DUP TD probably wouldn't be that much worse than the Healy-Raes to be fair. Probably just as backward socially, but maybe slightly less corrupt.

But they wouldn't have the great songs.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Hold on a second. A DUP Teachta Dála surely they would have an aneurysm first.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Southpaugh posted:

Hold on a second. A DUP Teachta Dála surely they would have an aneurysm first.

They would call themselves MPs and loudly insist on saying Prime Minister and just shout "I don't know what your saying" as soon as any started speaking Irish.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

But we already have Shane Ross for that.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Why is your head of government also the minister of defense?

jacksbrat
Oct 15, 2012

Lightning Lord posted:

Why is your head of government also the minister of defense?

Because Blueshirts.

But also probably because gently caress all happens in Defence. I suppose the defence forces are mostly visible here for assisting with weather emergencies. They do international stuff (e.g. Golan Heights) but it's all administered by the UN.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Defense/Justice is also where our intel services live. Which with brexit happening is probably more important than you'd think.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

kustomkarkommando posted:

They would call themselves MPs and loudly insist on saying Prime Minister and just shout "I don't know what your saying" as soon as any started speaking Irish.

The Dail would have to employ translators to try and understand what the North Antrim or Tyrone guys were saying.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The TheJournaliest click and comment bait article.

http://www.thejournal.ie/poll-average-family-rich-4057257-Jun2018/

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

I just read a Journal article about Irish universities slipping in the rankings, and one of the comments was a rant about how this was due to Cultural Marxism and consent classes.

The most Journaly comment.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Yanis Varoufakis weighs in on Ireland. This resulted in lots of salty comments on Reddit about poor little Ireland being bullied about being a Neoliberal money pit.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Drumm only gets six or less years in prison for fraud of 7.2 billion? That's a bargain. You get three square meals a day, a roof over your head, and regular sex.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

He's already served 5 months also, and he's expected to be out in 3 and a half years.

There is no justice.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Didn't he do a lot of time in a US maximum security?

I have a fair bit of sympathy for him if that's the case.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Bedshaped posted:

Didn't he do a lot of time in a US maximum security?

I have a fair bit of sympathy for him if that's the case.

So far he has not been beheaded, therefore I'll reserve my sympathy for the people whose lives were destroyed by rentier parasites like him.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

He was likely in protective custody and it was a federal prison. I don't know if it was maximum security but I doubt the bollox faced much hardship in the few months he was there awaiting extradition.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Make him do 20,000 hours of community service or something in ballymun.

Dual Monarchy
Feb 20, 2013

julian assflange posted:

Make him do 20,000 hours of community service or something in ballymun.

Why Ballymun when you can send the oval office to Bluebell?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

https://gcn.ie/teen-released-without-charge-throwing-brick-pantibar/

jfc

quote:

At 10.37 pm, the poster wrote: “About to commit a hate crime lads it involves a stone and some piteoga wish me luck xxx”. At 10.43 pm they wrote: “There’s a lot of faggots and bouncers here actually not sure if I have the bollocks to chuck it.” At 10:52 pm: “Jesus Christ there’s about 100 people outside, I could make a clean getaway if I didn’t think I’d freeze up.”

I was drinking outside Nealons across the street till sometime between 10:30 and 11. Wish I'd been around when the prick did this.

It's almost bizarre seeing so much right-wing poo poo like this in Ireland, but you can see how much it's festering on places like 4chan.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
It really does highlight how stupid it is to not have hate crime legislation, when you have gombeen hikikomori guys like this young fella literally posting "gonna do a hate crime" , then doing a hate crime, and that's given no legal weight.

Would loving love to have been walking past and tackle this lad into the tarmac though

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

What's hilarious is he legged it, but then got chased by the Gardai so had to turn around and run past Pantibar again.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

For fucks sake.

Standish
May 21, 2001

Was thinking it might be this guy again but the ages don't match and nobody was wearing a raccoon onesie

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Lol Leo. :qq: about the media in Ireland where all the main papers are absolutely toothless

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Still, things could be worse, eh?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

So it's not really Irish politics, but in case anyone missed it, this week Paddy Cosgrave:

- Announced that Marine Le Pen was a speaker at his Tech Bro conference
- Wrote a blog post defending the above when there was a lot of backlash to it
- Today he has walked back the decision because of said backlash

https://twitter.com/philipoconnor/status/1029697316125597697

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

What a loving idiot.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
Paddy cosgrove is a dope and the web summit is a scam.

Standish
May 21, 2001

so this presidential election is shaping up nicely already:
https://twitter.com/SarahBardon/status/1029750940251901953
https://twitter.com/KevDoyle_Indo/status/1029752004581748736
https://twitter.com/SeanDefoe/status/1029474385898418176
although the whole "won't tell anyone his name" thing might be a bit of a a disadvantage at the ballot box

Standish fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 15, 2018

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

A proper President wouldn't ask for the 6 counties back.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

https://twitter.com/IrishTimes/status/1031789014011924480?s=19

After months of rumour about back room discussions and nods and winks a full merger may be back on the cards soon.

Look forward to telling the FF canvassers to gently caress off.

Realistically though there's a chance more Labour aligned elements of the party won't agree to this so we might always get a little rump left leaning party that should be good for a few councillors or maybe even an MLA

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

quote:

Realistically though there's a chance more Labour aligned elements of the party won't agree to this so we might always get a little rump left leaning party that should be good for a few councillors or maybe even an MLA

I doubt it

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

I think Claire Hanna probably has enough of a personal vote at this stage she could carry a seat if there is a significant enough fallout between the wings of the party, a lot of the youth wing is not best pleased about the idea of hitching their wagon to the party of Haughey.

Depends on the names that would come along rather than policy (and of course FF might not be as Unionist/Alliance transfer friendly as the SDLP currently are, which could be to the benefit of any rump)

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

This seems like a very strange marriage considering how split FF was over the 8th ref. It feels like they're swinging (or just staying) more right.

Like, outside of wanting a united Ireland, I just don't see how the politics of both parties mesh.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Aug 21, 2018

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

You just need to view it within the context that FF are opportunistic scumbags who will go into government with anyone.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

FF are more truly centrist than FG. Good to the rich and the middle classes, throw crumbs to the poor. They'll align with anyone to go into power, maybe even the DUP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Yeah but FG are seeing what way the wind is blowing, and socially are leaning more to the left. You can see that with people digging up videos from 10 years ago of Leo etc being anti-LGBT rights and anti-abortion etc. At the time, it made them more popular with their base to be against those social changes. Now it makes them more popular to be in favour of them.

With FF though they don't seem to have copped onto that change, or they're clinging too tightly to their actual beliefs to roll with the change.

• Locked thread