Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

FG leaning left is a joke. There is no left in Ireland unless you compare it to a shithole like the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

All our political parties are left compared to the US...

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Don't get me wrong, I still think FG are still all about demonising poor people and inflicting as much suffering on them as possible. They simply realised they can do that and still get people to vote for them by saying that they're in favour of LGBT rights and pro-choice.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

It's the height of irony that in Ireland we have a proto-fascist centre right party run by a gay son of an immigrant. Ireland, a land of contrast.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

irlZaphod posted:

This seems like a very strange marriage considering how split FF was over the 8th ref. It feels like they're swinging (or just staying) more right.

Like, outside of wanting a united Ireland, I just don't see how the politics of both parties mesh.

Eh there's a resemblance at some level if you squint - there are certainly several SDLP candidates who would not look out of place in FF once you get out of the cities, it's always been a big tent (though that tent has got a lot smaller) that was meant to unite moderate constitutional nationalists with Labour aligned voices. FF's vague centre right social democracy thing would get the hearty thumbs up from the more conservative elements of the party, this isn't the first time a merger was talked about and was all but a done deal right up until 2008 when people oddly stopped talking about (and then Marget Ritchie got elected, who always leaned Labour and killed any merger).

The SDLP and FF are p much on the same page in regards to social issues now, they lifted the party whip on abortion shortly before the referendum to let the youth wing and others to openly campaign down south - though the majority of their elected rep have remained either tight lipped or staunchly pro-Life.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

irlZaphod posted:

Don't get me wrong, I still think FG are still all about demonising poor people and inflicting as much suffering on them as possible. They simply realised they can do that and still get people to vote for them by saying that they're in favour of LGBT rights and pro-choice.

They are just bogstandard neoliberals running another pump n' dump on the economy. Eagerly awaiting the next financial crash.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

irlZaphod posted:

All our political parties are left compared to the US...

This is true of most civilized countries, though.

Ireland hasn't had a single left wing government since independence. Labours few years as minority coalition partner here or there have been as close as we've come, and thats pretty far off. Its pretty horrifying how conservatism has dominated the country for the past 90 years.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
I would consider Sinn Fein left wing, especially considering their Marxist leanings pre troubles. Though I guess that element ended up in the workers party.

Still they are fairly progressive on many matters today.

Sorry misread thought you said we have no left parties. It’s a bit shocking but not really when you consider we were under the thumb of the church, and when we broke away from them we cow towed to the almighty dollar and US multinationals. And with a history of emigration and even an encouragement of it during bad times, the demographics that might be interested in having a left government end up leaving for greener pastures.

Marenghi fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Aug 21, 2018

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
SF are not really leftist in any coherent way, but they do a good job of corralling all the idiots who would be lured into a fash party in most other countries

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Yeah instead of nationalist fash dudes we end up with a weird revolutionary heritage crowd instead. Living close to a national monument around 2016 was eye opening. There are an awful lot of people for whom the struggle isn't over.

SF are guaranteed to flip-flop and hedge their bets on basically every issue that isn't one of their traditional tent poles. I wouldn't consider them left wing, not really. They can't be trusted to stick to their guns economically (which is the only way that matters at this point.)

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
Who can be trusted to stick to their guns economically.
It seems any left wing party anywhere gets into power suddenly see the neoliberal light.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Honestly I think the realpolitik of the situation is they get into power and suddenly they have banks and other powerful interests telling them what they will and won't play along with.

i.e. You can build *some* public housing, but you better not eat the mortgage market doing it, if not we'll stop playing ball about xy or z and we'll make sure your constituents blame you. And so forth.
This might have been the case in the past for left wing parties, but at this point the economic situation has gotten so bad that things like housing and loans are out of the reach of the majority. So why listen to the banks? Governments need to go back to governing with a big G. Taking banks and other powerful private interests to task. The fear is that this sort of government will be smothered by external neoliberal forces and if it happened in Ireland, those external forces would be the EU, Troika etc. We call FG and all the rest of them bastards, but the only difference between FF/FG in power and some fictional Left wing alliance in power is that FG/FF will do the EUs bidding with a smile on their faces. I think this is why Corbyn is causing such a genuine freakout in Britain. If he gets elected he starts to rollback the free market, which due to the nature of the free market, kills speculation which in turn produces a downturn. (Obviously there are loads of other factors, but the flavour of governance that the commons has called for influences theses things.)

edit: im a brokebrain who spends too much time in CSPAM

tldr; short of a bunch of communists hanging bankers nothing changes in our politics.

Southpaugh fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Aug 22, 2018

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

https://twitter.com/rte/status/1034741163331338240?s=19

Away and gently caress off sean

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

We already have 1 useless sack of poo poo "entrepreneur" seeking a nomination, sorry that's the limit.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Apparently 3 of the Dragons Den lads want in? loving lol. They can away and shite anyway, but I'm glad to have them splitting each other's vote. I think Trump might have poisoned the well for reality TV businessmen getting elected for the moment at least

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

There's a weird level of support for Trump and his ilk here, but thankfully I don't think it's too significant. And a lot of them seem to be teenagers on Reddit or that other site or whatever, so at least they probably can't vote yet.

Also Gemma O'Doherty has a really weird, obsessive following for people who see her as anti-establishment, and are going after anyone who point out her anti-vax or anti-trans Tweets. She herself has also threatened legal action against people who bring up her Tweets lol.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Will this even be a contest? I can't imagine anyone hating on Mickey D.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

It shouldn't really be a contest at all, no. Of course, that's causing a lot of teeth gnashing because "why are we paying for a Presidential election when MDH will just get re-elected anyway, and we have so many homeless people etc".

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Isn't this just contrarian pricks pretending there's no democracy if someone is popular and there's no point in doing an election in the first place. It's going to attract the worst motherfuckers possible. I'm surprised Lucinda Creighton or one of those weird brothers from Limerick who hate women aren't running too.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Nah those contrarian pricks who insist that democracy has to run its course want an election to go ahead. These are other contrarian pricks who just want any sort of justification to attack the Government so that they can show how anti-establishment they are, and apparently don't understand how Government budgets work.

I think we should all just blame Gerard Craughwell.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

I reckon Higgins will walk it but expect Gallagher to put up a decentish challenge if he can replicate his last run (though I heavily doubt he will hit the same numbers).

I also think Freeman will probably get the nominations and perform well, general recognition from Pieta + a rural vote for her good Catholic pedigree + her recent statements supporting Leo's comments during the Pope visit + putting some sunlight between herself and her extended family re:abortion make her pretty competitive I think.

I don't think Sharkey or O'Doherty will get the nominations to progress.

And of course there's always SFs candidate whoever that will be (I'm imagining Ni Riada) but I'm not sure if any of the prospective candidates on there end have enough of a name recognition to make a massive dent outside of their base.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

In saying that polling today put Higgins at 65%

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

The biggest criticism people have against MDH is the fact that he said he wouldn't seek a 2nd term (and I suppose his age, which is a related point). In terms of untruths uttered by politicians throughout history, it's hardly up there like.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

I'm detecting a bit of the old "he should never have signed the water bill" in the noisey O'Doherty lot.

Though she seems to have a v loose grasp on the actual powers of the president.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

I actually like how MDH addressed the fact he said he wouldn't run but is. He pretty much just said he didn't know what the job would entail but now that he does he's fine with doing it for another 7 years.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Did MDH explicitly promise he wouldn’t seek a second term or did he just.....change his mind like people do sometimes?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

kustomkarkommando posted:

I'm detecting a bit of the old "he should never have signed the water bill" in the noisey O'Doherty lot.

Though she seems to have a v loose grasp on the actual powers of the president.
Pretty much every other candidate running has a very loose grasp on the powers and responsibility of the president.

As does anyone who claims he shouldn't have signed the water bill.

julian assflange posted:

Did MDH explicitly promise he wouldn’t seek a second term or did he just.....change his mind like people do sometimes?
It was a question during one of the debates in 2011, people are taking his response as gospel.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Aug 29, 2018

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
My new manager just self-identified coming from "Rhodesia".

What are the odds he has strong 'opinions' about black people?

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Bedshaped posted:

My new manager just self-identified coming from "Rhodesia".

What are the odds he has strong 'opinions' about black people?

Unless hes super old and oblivious, pretty high odds indeed. I lived with a few Zimbabweans who weren't exactly super woke back in the early 00s, but even they wouldn't have gone near that poo poo

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I'd say he's early 50s so definitely young enough to know better.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Unless he was making a very weird joke it sounds like he's a bit of an arsehole. Sorry for your loss.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
Its a shame all of these nutjobs/corrupt FFers/egomaniacs are coming out of the woodwork. The whole election is going to be a colossal waste of time and money.

Presuming he wins hopefully Higgins doesn't die any time soon, that would trigger another election again then wouldn't it?

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Tbh I think a corpse could perform the functions of the president.

Might need to have a re-election once they start decomposing and the Aras gets a bit too smelly

kustomkarkommando fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Aug 30, 2018

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

https://twitter.com/DangerFarm/status/1035248393315082246

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

:vince:

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

this budgets going to be a loving disgrace.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
100% mortgage relief. Time to buy a rental property and have the tenants pay the principal and the tax payer pay the interest.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
That’s incredible

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

The health service is in a poo poo state and thousands of people are homeless, but sure lets cut taxes for people who can afford to pay more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Aha but you see if we encourage people to become landlords they will provide for the poor. With no interest to pay, they can also keep rents at an acceptable level

:classiclol:

• Locked thread