Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa
Hi Ireland I hope you don't mind questions from foreigns because I have two

A) Is there any clarification as to what the gently caress went on with that boxing weigh-in shooting. I read that the CIRA have both claimed responsibility and denied it and it seems like the Garda think they were there along with the gangland shooters, plus the dressing up as a woman still seems like a classic dissident urban commando pretension, so is part / all of the CIRA that flagrantly deep into the drug trade or do they imagine another agenda or what is actually happening

B) I know people joke about Fianna Fáil and Fine Gael being interchangeable, but I find it really hard to grasp what even the nominal distinction is between the parties as it seems nothing to do with typical European political division lines. Is there anything that would make an Irish voter choose one over the other, beyond who most recently hosed up in government

Thank you for your time and best of luck generating a tolerable electoral outcome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa
Apologies in advance for the Foreign Person questions on a tense day but if I may: I was surprised that Ireland doesn't do postal votes for overseas citizens given there's so many, is this ever debated especially given it would seem a pretty big disadvantage for Yes or is there just concern re. the number and intent of people technically eligible for citizenship who have never set foot in the Republic

And also this is speculative but if there weren't any neighbouring liberal countries amenable to giving safe abortions to Irish girls / women do you think the law would have changed already or that the country would be struggling to keep the lid on a backalley industry or what

In any case I hope Ireland produces a better referendum outcome than we get in the UK

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa
Thank you for responses to my questions and also congratulations on what looks to be a great result, the fact that it's not even particularly divisive across region and age group should spare Ireland any potential reactionary political fallout too

I hope the Northern parties pay attention even if I realise that this isn't going to exactly endear DUP and TUV voters to reform

• Locked thread