Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

kustomkarkommando posted:

Some good news. That wee baby faced fucker from Identity Ireland wound up in hospital after the scuffles at the Pegida Ireland launch thing

https://twitter.com/AitheantasEire/status/696016755592978432

Not sure what good getting into scraps with Pegida Ireland does for the anti-racist cause.
The fact they mention far-left thugs with British accents reinforces the rumours that it was outside instigators looking for the counter-protest to turn violent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

Bryter posted:

It put a racist piece of poo poo in the hospital, that's a plus.

He's a poo poo-stain and it couldn't have happened to a nicer person. But still most people I've encountered view the event with the racists looking reasonable and the counter-protest looking like violent trouble makers.

I wasn't there personally but heard from some that it was a few antifa heads obviously itching for a scrap and the organisers requesting people not to start trouble.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

Cabinet posted:

I hate to be that guy but I cannot support anyone but SF or AAA this election. Labour are as good as dead, FG and FF are bastards.

I'll lay my bias out front: Gerry Adams is my TD and when it comes to grassroots stuff he is involved in the community.

That has been what's impressed me about Sinn Fein politicians. I never really noticed before the Great Recession because there probably wasn't as much necessity to go to your T.D. or councillor for help. But I've seen that when people need help the best ones to go to are them. They seem to put in the work helping their constituents and seem more involved within the community.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/election-2016/watch-mary-lou-mcdonald-confronted-by-incensed-man-on-dublins-grafton-st-34468268.html

Interesting bit of news from the other day. A well dressed man who identifies as a small business owner confronted a Sinn Fein politician on the street. He said they follow a tax policy which punishes people who want to work hard and get on. He also said he was apolitical but would vote Fine Gael.

The media hasn't covered it since but he was outed on Twitter and Facebook as CEO of the Irish branch of Sarasin & Partners, a wealth management firm that manages £13.4B worldwide.

Marenghi fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Feb 21, 2016

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

julian assflange posted:

Lol I thought it was some shopkeeper

I had a feeling he was out of touch with the common man when he complained about his poor middle income children not wanting to earn 69K if Sinn Fein brought in a new tax band.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

GimpChimp posted:

Hi Ireland I hope you don't mind questions from foreigns because I have two

A) Is there any clarification as to what the gently caress went on with that boxing weigh-in shooting. I read that the CIRA have both claimed responsibility and denied it and it seems like the Garda think they were there along with the gangland shooters, plus the dressing up as a woman still seems like a classic dissident urban commando pretension, so is part / all of the CIRA that flagrantly deep into the drug trade or do they imagine another agenda or what is actually happening

B) I know people joke about Fianna Fáil and Fine Gael being interchangeable, but I find it really hard to grasp what even the nominal distinction is between the parties as it seems nothing to do with typical European political division lines. Is there anything that would make an Irish voter choose one over the other, beyond who most recently hosed up in government

Thank you for your time and best of luck generating a tolerable electoral outcome

A) The initial claim that it was CIRA seems bogus. It was either an attempt by someone in the CIRA to get relevance for the organisation, or a complete hoax. Members of Republican Sinn Fein, the political wing of the CIRA said the claim was bogus and an attempt to smear the CIRA.

Most signs point to the shooting being revenge for a gang hit in Spain last year.

Bit of extra info. The regency hotel is one of the Dublin city hotels being used by the city council to house homeless families. A girl I know said her friend was living there at the time.

B) There's gently caress all difference to be honest. Fine Gael are a bit more right-wing, consider themselves less corrupt but just have had less time in leadership to really dip their beaks. The time they are in charge they do just as much corrupt dealings as Fianna Fail.

Fianna Fail would be centrist and Fine Gael more centre right. Fine Gael looked to the Tory government in England for tips on winning the election so I guess you could call them our Tories.

The reason people voted one over the other was like choosing a football team. You had the club your father supported and that's the one you'll support. Unless they really gently caress like FF did in the run up to the Great Recession.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
Enda's handlers must have their head in their hands any time he's let speak for himself. He must have forgotten that two years ago he denied time and again that he parachuted his associate into a board position so he would be eligible for election into the Seanad (our upper parliament, comparable to the House of Lords in that it's members aren't directly elected by the people and it's powers are limited to delaying the passing of laws).

He seems to be taken on the training from Britain well enough.

Here he is answering separate questions with identical sound bytes, https://twitter.com/Junomaco/status/702278161665552384

a bit reminiscent of the way George Osbourne talks about growth http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-11627746

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

Good ole Bertie. In 2007 when people were raising concerns about the high level of debt being used to fuel a property bubble he called them pessimists and asked how they can do so much moaning without committing suicide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfjGSfuSQpA

He managed to resign unharmed before the incoming global recession and tribunal findings over his corruption were complete.
If there were justice in this world he would have served time, instead he walked away a very, very wealthy man.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

Coohoolin posted:

Tbf I've been looking for a conversation partner to practice Gaelic pronunciation with and no one seems to speak the drat language anymore. I say bring back mandatory Irish in schools. Please.

It's still mandatory. Just taught awfully and used so little in everyday life that it's hard to get kids to see the point of learning it.

Though Gaelscoils do a good job instilling the language as all classes are taught in Irish. My sister went to the local one and she speaks it very well, so though some cousins and neices/nephews. But you'll still have issues with pronunciation, she found people from Gaeltacht areas have their own dialect. So the Gaeltacht in Galway, the Gaeltacht in Donegal and the Irish in schools will all be spoken with some differences.

But was biffo worse?

Biffo was incompetent and a drunk but I almost feel bad for him. Sure he handled the crisis as badly as could have been. But I get the feeling he never expected it to be a hard job, probably thought the country was doing well and wouldn't need much in the way of leading.

Before it all went tits up I remember the man used to be visiting the pubs of his constituency. He'd buy a round at the pubs in town and be absolutely hammered by last call. I'd say that was his goal, to be the well liked Taoiseach splashing the cash around and being hammered most nights.

I'd almost think Bertie saw the crash coming and picked him for incompetence. Someone to make a balls up of it so the public wouldn't look to the previous leadership.

Marenghi fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Feb 26, 2016

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/election-2016-irish-times-exit-poll-shows-coalition-well-short-of-overall-majority-1.2550489

Exit poll indicates coalition well short of majority. And voters have memory of goldfish as Fianna Fail trail not far behind in second place.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

Though that's a solid result for SF it still falls short of what they where polling months ago and is well below their aspirations (kind of fits into the narrative of the last couple of polls showing the campaign stalling).

The Greens are almost back at 2007 levels as well :psyduck:

A person I know on said on Facebook they were polled coming out. They were only asked for their top 2 preferences so could see some differences when transfers are taken into account.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
I think another election in the next year or two was guaranteed. The left opposition's improved in numbers but hadn't a chance of forming a coalition before fg and ff.

The most likely outcome is a ff/fg or fg minority. And either way ff would pull the plug when they feel their chances improved for another election.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

Dual Monarchy posted:

I had a feeling this would happen re: FF but it still baffles me how people forget how hard Fianna Fáil hosed up the country to begin with.

You have to remember they got something like 17% of the vote in 2011. So fresh off them absolutely destroying the country some people decided to vote them back in.

Never underestimate the ignorance of the electorate. Sure look at Kerry, the Healy-Rae brothers have gotten almost 40% of the vote between them.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

Coohoolin posted:

Ff can't coalesce with SF or a bunch of smaller lefties?

FF has more in common with FG than SF or the lefties. They both know how to play the game.

Also the AAA specifically refused to sign up to the Right2Change campaign because SF constitute a large part of it and refused to definitely rule out a coalition with FF. So there's already been a fracture on the left between parties who won't go into coalition under any circumstances and those who will only if they can be majority partner. And there's some leftists who don't want to partner with SF due to their republican background.

FF forming a coalition with SF and various lefties would just destroy whatever credibility the left has, unless they have the numbers to be an active part of the government and not just a lap dog like Labour turned out to be.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

Ah bollocks Joan is safe

That's disappointing. Was hoping sf would have picked up her seat. Can't believe people voted for her after her shrill appearances during the debates.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
Offaly is still counting. Barry Cowen got a seat, Cocoran-Kennedy(FG) looks set for second place and FF/SF battling for third seat. Renua got knocked out which one would think would transfer to FG but apparently SF is doing well off it.

Probably transfers from people gave it as a protest vote, or people not clued in to their policies. I did find out some lads I used to know voted Renua because their candidates job title was game developer and they thought it better than giving FF or FG a preference.

*Count just came in. FG picked up enough transfers to get a seat and looks like SF got more than FF. Counting still to be done but looks like FF, FG and SF will take the 3 seats.

Marenghi fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 28, 2016

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
That's disappointing turnout.

Would have thought being on a Friday and with the marriage referendum that would be more engaged young voters. Thought it be at least on par with the last election.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
Sinn Fein make a historic win in Offaly taking their first seat there since 1922. Was tense as they almost gave Fianna Fail 2 seats.
Considering Sinn Fein's low numbers prior to 2011 since their return to politics in the South, I wonder how many wins of theirs will be similarly historic. I know the Limerick win was also a first in over 90 years.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
What does everyone expect for the next Government considering they won't be much difference in numbers between FG & FF.

A coalition of the two or a minority FG with FF as the largest opposition party.

Seems to be benefits of both. I think if they go into coalition FF will pick up more goodwill than FG for any improvements to the country. As largest oppositon they'll block SF from gaining a strong voice if they were the leading opposition party.

My hope is that Sinn Fein and the left try to find common ground in opposition and form a left alternative that could go into government next election.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

Cabinet posted:

The question is if Kelly gets leadership will he be as happy as he was today?

https://twitter.com/thejournal_ie/status/703958965906845696

He's very happy for a man whose party might not even get enough seats for speaking rights.

I guess the fact his party lost 80~% of their seats hasn't really entered his mind.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

Blut posted:

The problem I'm addressing is not people voting for FG or FF. They're already lost causes/awful people. My problem is when you see SF/AAA candidates being eliminated, and their votes aren't transferring to Labour candidates still in the running. Thats a lack of lower preference voting for LAB from people of leftist views.

Labour were never in line to get as many seats in 2011 as part of an unpopular government. But lets say they got a LOT of transfers and got 15 more seats, so were sitting at 22. And FG/FF both got 5-8ish seats less than they currently have, so were both sitting around 40. That's a very optimistic, but still possible outcome. We'd still be facing a FF/FG government, but we'd have a lot more leftish TDs in the Dail. Presuming more gains for LAB/SF/AAA etc in the next election we'd then be looking at the possible prospect of a LAB/SF/others left-wing coalition government.

Instead, with Labour being eviscerated and more seats going to FF/FG as a result we're going to have a more stable FF/FG government than otherwise. And the sum total of 'left' parties is only 38 (LAB/SF/AAA/SD/GR) seats. Which means they'd need to double their numbers in any new election to form a government, which seems unfortunately unlikely.

Basically, it just seems self-defeating of any proclaimed leftist to not give Labour a lower preference vote. Because its not SF/AAA you help, its FF/FG.

I'd think another FG/LAB government would have been more stable than whatever FF & FG are going to agree to.

I think a lot of people voting left had the same thinking as myself. I didn't want Labour picking up enough seats to give FG the opportunity to lead us for another 5 years with support from them and a couple of independents.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

Finally a conclusion, Bannon eliminated in Longford-West Meath - Penrose and Burke in after Brannon's votes transfered. Labour have been spared complete humiliation.

Bannon was only 6 votes behind Penrose.

Bit disappointing. I was looking forward to Joan not having speaking rights.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

Quinntan posted:

Am I the only one who thinks this election was a disaster for everyone involved, bar the SocDems?

Greens recovered some seats. Sinn Fein improved on the last election, got slightly less than some people said but still a good improvement. I don't think the AAA-PBP were expecting lots of seats, they had people saying they wouldn't pick up any and they came close to Labour. And Fianna Fail picked up a lot of seats despite ruining the country not too long ago.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
Makes sense they would. Northern Ireland receives a lot of EU funding from the EU PEACE & INTERREG programmes. It will probably be very costly for them if Britain exits, unless they increase funding to match it.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
What's the story with Irish Water, have FF pulled the quickest back-peddle on election promises or are they just letting it slide till a government is formed?

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
Anyone who voted for them on that issue is a bigger fool, but it seems some people were that gullible.

I'd hope it would lose them votes next time round but the electorate have been shown to have the memory of goldfish.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
Seeing as the election has gone quiet, what's everyone's opinion on the Luas strikes.

I feel the management poisoned public support by leaking their "greedy" demands to the media. And it seems like most everyone in Ireland despises the drivers for the inconvenience and for not earning minimum wage.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

I read the pay rise deal was rejected because of "productivity" measures Transdev attached to the deal (longer shifts, reduced lunch breaks etc) as well as the introduction of a new lower pay grade for new hires - haven't seen much detail on that outside the fact it was rejected point blank.

Yeah they mentioned they have problems with driver fatigue as is and worry it could lead to accidents if the working day was increased.

A 30k starting salary is nice for a relatively unskilled job but the top rate isn't great when you consider it takes 10 years to reach it, and it was going to be raised to 14 years.

quote:

I've seen a fair amount of "I HAVE A DEGREE AND THESE BOYS SHOULD NOT EARN MORE THAN ME A DEGREE HAVER"

I've heard this too much as well. Anyone I've asked why they wasted 5 years at college and not went for a job on the Luas said "they wouldn't lower themselves and be dealing with knackers on the red line".

Marenghi fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Mar 24, 2016

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

And finally Labour had their official post-election head-in-hands "what went wrong" meeting:

What benefit does she have in hanging around another few weeks as leader. Will she be able position herself to staying on during negotiations?

I've heard the popular opinion in Labour is she's a terrible leader and has to go. She apparently made no contact or condolences to the many TDs who lost their seat. It seems the majority want a leadership vote soon and she doesn't want one until after the Government is formed.

As for Alan Kelly, how oblivious does one have to be to consider likening yourself as Frank Underwood to the media a good move. I suspect his chances of taking over leadership will be hurt by that.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
I wonder what criticisms will be levelled at train drivers if they strike. I know a lot of people complained about Luas drivers wanting similar pay to train driver when they are much less skilled and just push a joystick forward.Will they then call the train drivers unskilled joystick jockeys.

It's a bit like how I've heard people mention bus drivers as more deserving than the Luas drivers as they have traffic to contend with, interact with passengers and lack security from junkies, ignoring the bulletproof glass pod they sit in. But when the bus drivers were striking I remember the same people calling them greedy trying to protect their high paying jobs from the government plan to privatise routes. As though the rising bus prices were entirely due to Dubin Bus drivers wages and private companies would run a better and cheaper service.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
Please, please, please implicate some of our politicians in the Panama Papers.

I'm sure there's still plenty of corruption in the main parties and it would be nice to have their dirt outed.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
Anglo Irish Bank was one of seven banks repeatedly recommended to clients wishing to hide their assets. Although this was specifically just the Austrian branch, apparently it was sold off during the crash because the senior staff in Ireland were nervous its shady deposits might get them drawn into a tax evasion investigation from the US.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/panama-papers-anglo-irish-bank-was-repeatedly-recommended-to-clients-1.2597669

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

Cabinet posted:

Came here just to post that. Looks like we are getting another GE after all?

Would another GE benefit either of them. I would think another election would just dilute the vote more but I also don't think any other party would be able pick up the numbers to lead.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
As this is the third failed vote with very little change between voting patterns, at what point do they call it off and say no taoiseach can be elected.

And what happens then?

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
I think only the sitting government or the president can call a new election. So it would be up to Enda as caretaker to call a new election if no leader can be elected. Or Higgans can step in as president to force a call.

That's my understanding anyway I may be misinformed.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
I saw a die-hard FG supporter blame the electorate voting for Independents as the problem. He was saying Kenny should call another election so the voters will do the smart thing and vote for stability.

I guess another election so soon would push out some Independents on the basis they wouldn't have the funds to campaign again so soon. But he must be living in a fantasy if he thinks another election will sweep FG into a majority. I've said it before but I believe another election would just spread out the vote more. I can't seeing it resolving the issue of no easy majority and we'll be back in the same point with FG and FF the only ones able to do anything.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
I assume if they do suspend it, that they won't pay it back but those households will be in credit until a new system is in place or they revive Irish Water as is.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

EmmyOk posted:

Did everyone see the dismal turnout for the mental health debate? :sadddowns:

People are saying it's not as bad as it looks because TDs can have live feeds piped into their office. So they may have it on in the background while they go about their work. And that it's normal enough for TDs not to attend the entirety, usually they say their piece and leave.

I don't know though, that seems a bit of a cop out. How engaged could they be watching it in the background while working, and if they are fully watching it why not be in the room.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
They said they'd back them till September 2018? when I first read it I thought it was 2016. I don't doubt they'll renege on that promise.

I suppose the next question is how long will Kenny remain party leader. He seems to have come out badly of this election, a lot of blame for the poor performance lain at his feet. A fresh face could definitely be a boost for them in the next election, so will they wait till coalition is wrapping up or get someone in earlier than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
Considering his other deleted tweet was "Django - an uppity Fenian", I think he meant to point out similarities in the treatment of Africans in America and Catholics under British rule.
But good God how does he write out that first one, let alone tweet it to the world, without considering the way that word would be received and the offence it would cause.

• Locked thread