Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
I think housing is going to be a serious issue in the upcoming election, especially in Dublin. There seems to be a concerted effort by all major actors to keep the housing supply low and rents amazingly high. If you actually drove around certain sections of Dublin, you'd notice a decent amount of dilapidated properties/brown sites with for sale signs on them that have been like this for years. After the crash NAMA (National Assets Management Agency) was set up to buy all the unsellable property off the banks at a "discount", then sell them back to the developers who built them at an actual discount. It's also been sitting on a large amount of property since the crash, not developing and selling them on, in the midst of a rental crisis. :psyduck: There's also a huge amount of cash buyers in the past two years and I don't know where the gently caress these people are getting the money.

It's gotten to the point where houses built in the 1930s, in areas known for gang-related shootings, were going for over €200-250k. My sister just barely managed to get a hovel of a cottage in Dublin for ~€180k, that will be near impossible to sell off in later life, with a small garden for a cat. People in the area will probably eat her future cat though. She's also banking on me to get a job up there to help her pay for the mortgage. Dublin is third world shithole, with a garbage traffic system (The city itself was never designed, and has never ever been redesigned for motor traffic), junkies on every corner and tyrannical landlords who are bound by no laws (the reason so many people are desperate to get a house). Welp.

School Nickname fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Feb 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

julian assflange posted:

I have dreamed of making this thread but I'm glad to see it's an actual good poster who beat me to it :unsmith:

OP didn't include the sordid history of Fine Gael/Fianna Fail, probably for fear of being sued into penury for defamation ("M-Muh Good Name! :qq:", cried the man called out by a loving Judge in a Tribunal, who said he made corrupt payments). Irish forums are actually so afraid of litigation that political discussion is essentially non-existent on the largest forum, boards.ie, with the next largest forum politics.ie being a peanut gallery where old fogies, communists, shinners and other shills engage in passive aggressive slapfights preventing anyone from grasping the bigger picture. Irish people can't even be that mean to each other on the internet, you see. If something scoop-worthy does appear from the news or elsewhere on p.ie though, there's a flood of people who jump in and start screaming, "Do you want this site to be taken down!?!!", etc.

Even Reddit isn't immune. Talk too much in too serious a manner and there will be 2-3 guys "from legal backgrounds" extolling the virtues of defamation law in an attempt to shut down discussion. Sometimes I feel that I can only sum up the Irish political system with, "A peaceful land, a quiet people."

As, I too, do not come from the Land of the Free, and am therefore unable to not give much of a gently caress, here are some inappropriately timed photos of Enda Kenny, leader of a party with blatantly fascist orgins (Fianna Fail members to this day call them Blueshirts) that I managed to come across.

School Nickname fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Feb 2, 2016

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

Chomskyan posted:

What are the major newspapers in Ireland? I don't mean the rags

If you want to exclude rags, The Sunday Business Post is the only one left that qualifies. It's the only one that isn't either a local mouthpiece (Irish Examiner), a willing and pathetic scyophant to the State (Irish Times), or owned by the current High King of Ireland, Denis O' Brien (Irish/Sunday Independent, a rag on its best day). It actually manages to do a bit of investigative journalism now and then.

School Nickname fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Feb 2, 2016

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

Troy Queef posted:

This got posted over in the Pics thread, and it deserves reposting here:

(Also, kustom: you should do a post about Northern Ireland, because as an observer from the States the politics there make ours look somewhat sane. Plus we both are having issues with FLEGS!.)

I hope the SDs don't go the way of poor Grimey. :( There is a candiate running in my constituency. Hope she does well. My Dad for 6 months was fairly set on Sinn Fein as his only alternative, but as soon as he heard of the Social Democrats he became interested. A lot of people really don't want to vote SF due to their political baggage, even if they like their polices.

In other insignificant news, r/ireland mods have decided to shift political threads that could potentially damage their handlers of any nature, to an unheard of subreddit, where it will never be read (for the duration of the election). The residents are now impotently downvoting every mod post, knowing their reddit is going the way of boards.ie. Heh.

School Nickname fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Feb 4, 2016

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

I saw some dudes putting up a Noonan poster on a local crossroads, near where I live. It was Sarah Jane Hennelly (SDs), Willie O'Dea (FF) on Top, then I guess Noonan (FG) top of Willie (:huh::huh: I'm sorry). The way they were fiddling with one of the posters
I almost thought they were gonna take one of them down. Might see it tomorrow to see if they actually took down another person's poster. Unlikely though (? :tinfoil:).

Has anyone else heard of this "Dublin Allowance" thing for civil servants? Someone mentioned it to me today, but I can't seem to find any mention of it online. Might be BS, or as a result of skyrocketing rent for Guards (entry guards have really poo poo pay), which will be eaten by landlords anyway.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

happyhippy posted:

Téigh ar ais go Sasana tú bastaird Breataine.

Funny thing, A council notice has been posted outside a potential private (??) car park near UL* (which would still be 30 minutes walk from some lecture halls), presumably for development. An English sign was posted years before, ignored presumably due to the decline in numbers attending UL and taken down. A new note has come up over the same car park, in Irish only. I know not what it portends, only it coincides with the massive numbers of international students attending UL in the past year. A demolition/alteration notice not 5km away was posted in English. Why post strategic council notices in Irish if others are in English? Why not post both? gently caress the Irish language if it's to be used to this effect.

*UL = University of Limerick.

School Nickname fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Feb 26, 2016

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

Successfully managed to vote, despite the rain. Guys in the polling station were asking for ID for younger people only.

My ancestors spoke to me through the Blood and tried to get me to vote FF, but I successfully resisted and gave the SocDem candidate my #1.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

From what I caught from newstalk on midnight exit polls it seems that FG, SF and FF are underperforming, with Labour getting hosed. Yet FF are still the winners in the grand scheme. Some FG TDs seem to be begging for a coalition (assuming they're the majority, to absorb the lesser party and finally align right like most european states).

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

Let's hope The Minister for Hash and Gee's transfers go to SocDem and not Jan O' Sullivan :smith:

https://twitter.com/Limerick_Leader/status/703560701424640000

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

Dual Monarchy posted:

I had a feeling this would happen re: FF but it still baffles me how people forget how hard Fianna Fáil hosed up the country to begin with.

Irish people love clientelism. there was an article in the Irish Times last election, where a person being canvassed proudly declared, "Whoever fixes my footpath will have my vote for the rest of my life!". FF was built on this concept, on a much larger scale, as they got a lot of people into social housing in the 30s. Kids grew up in the houses that FF gave their parents, with said parents singing the praises of FF, who got them the house, who landed another family member a job, etc, etc. Who cares if they broke the country four times, they fixed the road! When I mentioned how things work to a Pakistani colleague of mine, he mentioned that it's exactly how things work where he comes from, adding that "How can you change anything if people fall for this?"

School Nickname fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Feb 27, 2016

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

:lol: at that "Lord Lowry of Tipperary" banner.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

Yeah SF are extremely poor when it comes to picking up transfers. The SDs are quite transfer friendly though. Even though the SD candidate in Limerick City was eliminated she got a nice number of transfers, as well as making a very good initial showing for a first time candidate who wasn't a councillor previously.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

gently caress Gary Gannon lost by 321 votes... :smith:

Overall though, it was an extraordinary performance by some SD candidates, some who were first timers without much ground game to speak of (Gary Gannon did have a good ground game, being a councilor, but the Tony Gregory lineage really helped O'Sullivan). Let's hope they do well in the local elections. Sarah Jane Hennelly is the stand out imo as she got a huge amount of first preferences for a first-timer.

School Nickname fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Feb 28, 2016

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

When I was watching last night's Primetime I learned about FF's demand that a minority government must contain 58 members, 50 Fine Gael + 8 others, probably Labour + Zappone I guess. No discussion on policy. Pretty loving sneaky, as the parliamentary math would mean that the opposition minus FF would be 57. There would be no possibility of anyone other than FF bringing down the government, barring defections. In effect, such a minority government could in theory make every non-FF opposition TD's vote worth nothing. But of course the narrative was already being crafted live on air that it's all the Independents fault, and that we have to vote for the bigger parties.

School Nickname fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Apr 15, 2016

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

Bedshaped posted:

Starting to become seriously disillusioned with the political process in this country. We came out of this recession like nothing even happened and went straight back to the status quo. Emigration is becoming more attractive every day.

They want young people to emigrate from sheer disillusionment, because if they didn't, they might get desperate/bitter enough to vote for the shinners or an actual leftist group. I do recall a former Welfare minister extolling the virtues of young people getting the gently caress out of the country. Can't remember his/her name though.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

Reddit's saying there are rumors he's gonna join FF or is being poached, but then again it's :reddit: and I don't see how an independent would willingly commit political suicide like that.

I like how this whole EU Competition ruling has seemingly turned a huge section of the Irish establishment eurosceptic overnight, something that years of austerity failed to do.

School Nickname fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Sep 5, 2016

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

To think a former schoolmate I met was advertising GREAT BENEFITS *rattles them off* plus I get a bonus if I snag you Apple tech support/call center jobs. Jesus. :stare:

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

They will live in shoeboxes for €700+ a month in Dublin, and will magically vote for the FF/FG crowd who made them leave the country. Sad thing is that this isn't too far away from the truth. :sigh:

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

Which station was this? The Irish establishment and public sector will never give up the euros in their bank accounts, and their ability to go on 5+ trips a year to Tenerife/Greece. I just don't see it happening. The State Aid ruling by the Commission might have turned some people Eurosceptic overnight, but I feel the Euro/trade/tourism aspects of membership is just too attractive to a lot of people.

About a week ago, I heard a clip of some woman on Drivetime emphasising much greater trade with the Continent, pretty much saying "better start learning German folks". Might have to whip out the old German vocabulary copy...

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

kustomkarkommando posted:

the ball looks to be in FF's court and I have no idea what they are waiting for

In my jaded, cynical goon view it's waiting for Varadkar to be leader so they can fire up the rural base with anti-gay dogwhistles. In reality no one wants to deal with the flaming shitshow that Brexit will throw at us. Although I've love to see Mike Pence's reaction to Varadkar coming over. Maybe slip a tiny LGBT flag inside the shamrock bowl.

Regarding the latest McCabe scandal, are reports made to TUSLA made in confidence? If so, wouldn't that mean the Gardai, through TUSLA leaks, have a mechanism to defame someone with allegations of sex abuse and not get sued to high hell? Why aren't politicians/legal eagles freaking the gently caress out over this thing then?

School Nickname fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Feb 16, 2017

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

Lol they'd never give all the people they hosed over a vote that had any real consequences. Any chance that this will turn into a huge embarrassment, where Irish-Americans and Unionists sign up in droves to push through a hyper-conservative president, by Irish standards? Or would he still have to be vetted by the local councillors?

Also give UL students their seanad votes before having a referendum on this, you fucks. I want my worthless second vote. My sister has two of them! I mentioned this to a Belgian once and he raged at the idea of people having not one, but three votes, even if the other two were pretty much useless.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

I'm none too keen on Varadkar's aping of the Tories, but why the hell are the gombeens TDs picking such a young leader (he's 38), whose only accomplishment in a senior ministry is surviving it?

Also, I'm putting on my cynic hat here, but what are the odds of FF doing a huge dogwhistle campaign in rural Ireland to whip up the anti-gay vote against Varadkar?

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

Pence will smash his face in with that glass shamrock bowl after trump's gone imo. Tbh he really should slip in a LGBT flag into the bowl.

Hmmm, a back to work scheme for welfare dependent single mothers with minimal government outlays? Hmmm

To qualify your child must replace the canaries in the coal mines.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

Entropy238 posted:

So we're basically hosed until there's another crash?

My private little joke that gets guffaws from my sister's neighbors when I visit her place up in Dublin is that the government will wake up, not when a big name multinational declares it's leaving/not locating to Dublin because of the rent, but that they'll be moving down to Limerick because of the rent. RTE would have a poo poo attack over that development.

School Nickname fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 14, 2018

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

Yeah I've seen a noticeable increase in No posters down here in Limerick over the weekend, and there were already way more in key locations before the increase. Before the online ban I was being pummeled with No ads before Google got the message. I have a feeling the No side will win, as both my parents are openly declaring they'll vote No, when they've never ever revealed their voting preferences before. Couple that with Harris hammering the phrase "unrestricted abortion" on the airwaves around a fortnight ago and more strenuous requirements to register to vote (Garda signature, I don't remember having to do this ten years ago), I'm a little worried. Didn't help that my 30 year old work colleague, who has never voted before, gave up on registering, because the process was time-consuming.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

He had to go to a Garda station (5 mins away from work) to get it stamped, then drop it off at Ennis. :effort: Taking the guts of two hours out of his day was too much. I imagine a lot of younger people are like this.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

Voted just now. Saw a bible in my polling booth lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

Peter Casey said travellers aren't an ethnicity and also are bad for house prices and also welfare scroungers are bleeding us dry and therefore has won over thejournal / Reddit / a large portion of twitter

I guess vote for him if your a oval office

Basically every bitter office worker who's been fed a diet of Newstalk and that scumbag Paul Williams during their hour long commute in the morning will vote for him, assuming they'll be bothered to vote. He'll finish 2nd/3rd I think.

• Locked thread