Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Troy Queef posted:

This got posted over in the Pics thread, and it deserves reposting here:

(Also, kustom: you should do a post about Northern Ireland, because as an observer from the States the politics there make ours look somewhat sane. Plus we both are having issues with FLEGS!.)

Start here for NI politics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnH1OkBgTuQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I'm loving these sick musical campaign ads, please tell me there are more.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
The Jackson one is pretty loving clever. Please tell me that's O'Donoghue singing himself?

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Don't listen to forkboy, his "funded by UK government" av clearly indicates a foreign agent intending to cause disruption.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
All I have to go on is his twitter and his media appearances but Gerry Adams seems like a genuinely decent guy, I'd vote for him if I lived in his constituency.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
First one was better.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Anywhere non-IE people can stream the debate? I'm mildly curious. Gerry Adams gonna be there?

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

I can't watch Red Rock! Such a shame. I actually had a midnight jam session with Darragh O'Toole in the park in Galway while he was waiting for his bus back to Dublin. Motherfucker can freestyle like it's nothing.

I'll try again at 8, see if the debate isn't restricted.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

julian assflange posted:

TG4's debate has been cancelled due to Gerry Adams and Joan Burton apparently not cutting it in the Irish department.
Both suggested substitutes (Pearse Doherty and Aodhan O'Riordain) but FF said it was leaders or nothing...

There's an Irish language only debate? That's cool as hell.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Ehm pretty much every national leader anywhere ever has ordered murders.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

StoneOfShame posted:

Yeah your making a false dichotomy and you know it. World leaders have ordered killings in wars and also by lovely policies whilst this is not right it cant at least be viewed as a result of a democratic process. The IRA ran communities like dictatorships and killed people for things like not helping them, selling drugs dating people from the opposite community. Can you see the difference and also why people who have had personal experience of The Troubles are very wary of Gerry Adams?

Yeah of course (although slipping the drugs selling thing isn't really unique either).

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Is there a clear reason for such a shift? Is it at all comparable to Labour losing in Scotland because of anti austerity and anti right wing sentiment shifting to a nationalist party?

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I think every single Irish person in Aberdeen that I know is for Sinn Fein and they're getting a bit annoyed. I'm seeing lots of stuff like this being posted.

http://www.thesun.ie/irishsol/homepage/irishcolumnists/6954865/Oliver-Callan-Election-media-pops-its-Gerry-over-Sinn-Fein.html

Along with fresh republican memes, so I'm enjoying this election very much so far.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Who is Slab Murphy and what's the scandal?

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Oh, that's interesting. Torn between old loyalties and modern politics.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Tbf I've been looking for a conversation partner to practice Gaelic pronunciation with and no one seems to speak the drat language anymore. I say bring back mandatory Irish in schools. Please.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

happyhippy posted:

Téigh ar ais go Sasana tú bastaird Breataine.

I understood all of that! Problem is I have no idea if I'm pronouncing it correctly, hence the need for a conversation partner.

Although wouldn't it be "Téigh tú bastaird Breataine ar ais go Sasana"? Or does VSO not apply for imperatives?

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Good luck today guys!

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
So everyone's shat it and gone back to elect the other fuckups?

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Cabinet posted:

Kinda. Looks like the only government that can be made is a grand coalition of FF and FG with FF being the smaller party.

Ff can't coalesce with SF or a bunch of smaller lefties?

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Ok that's interesting, I forgot FF weren't actually a leftist party of some form.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

happyhippy posted:

RIP Father Jack.
18 years to the day Father Ted died too.

I smell a Protestant conspiracy...

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Sinn Fein is the SNP and Labour is Labour, got it.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
So uh, this might be interesting.

Sinn Féin calls for vote on Irish reunification if UK backs Brexit

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/mar/11/sinn-fein-irish-reunification-vote-brexit-eu-referendum?CMP=twt_a-politics_b-gdnukpolitics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

• Locked thread