Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Map of the provisional tallies:

https://mobile.twitter.com/IrishPolMaps/status/1000331648536334337

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

A nugget I must have missed last night:

quote:

RTE’s exit poll showed Fianna Fail was the only party whose members rejected the referendum with 50.3pc voting No and 49.7pc voting Yes.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Turnout 51%?

Ah: tracking at 62.1 at the moment nationally

Results updating live here: https://www.rte.ie/news/eighth-amendment/results/

kustomkarkommando fucked around with this message at 13:44 on May 26, 2018

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

All of Dublin in now - 75.5% for Yes, turnout 65.7%

Just waiting on Cork East, Sligo-Leitrim and Donegal

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

So sounds like the last few constituencies have sent their results to Dublin Castle but wont be announced before the final national result is announced - which looks like it's being delayed to tie in with the 6pm news?

edit: is this a trick to make me watch the angelus

kustomkarkommando fucked around with this message at 17:58 on May 26, 2018

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

:toot:

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Fantastic Flyer posted:

Not 69% but still very nice

Nearly 66.6% though - Good job there Leinster

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Most of the No TDs have cleared the decks and signalled safe passage for the governments legislation, though McGrath did mumble something about supporting the legislation but possibly fielding some kind of amendments to hold varadkar to the "safe, legal and rare" promise in his speech

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

DepoProvera posted:

Yes everyone should just join FF or FG

Better yet merge FF and FG into one big party - it's what Pearse would have wanted!

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Dual Monarchy posted:

:colbert: Stephen Donnelly has no convictions and that's what I appreciate about Roisin Shortall. He'll influence the country at the cost of reputation and getting in bed with all the corrupt Fáilers.
I doubt it'll happen but it would be really funny if Fianna Fáil split into smaller parties again over this. Either way, a lot of sitting TDs who were against this with lots of egg on their face with their constituencies voting overwhelmingly in favour.

The number of No supporting TDs who have suddenly seen the light and have indicated they will back the 12 weeks proposal does seem to indicate that some of them where hedging their bets based on what they roughly thought rural Ireland wanted, there are undoubtedly staunch pro-lifers in the party (Butler, O Cuiv) but I doubt the poor showing for No will endear them to try to to break off and go it alone - the legislation vote upcoming will give the No backers who want to try to hurriedly save face an opportunity to say "we've learnt our lesson" and mitigate the damage, though I wouldn't bank on FF making major Dublin inroads next go around

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

I do find it grimly funny that Harris has emerged from this stronger than ever and the CervicalCheck outrage seems to have been defanged

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

There's been a couple of British folks calling for a referendum here (royal college of midwifes etc) - though frankly I don't have a baldies what the referendum would be on exactly; a series of point by point questions on areas to change the law, extending the '67 act, decriminalization? The campaign here has always argued against a referendum because this is a legislative issue in a much more clear cut fashion, I know Stella Creasey is talking about a amendment to force a law change but again hopefully it will focus on decriminalization first and foremost as the local campaign does not particularly want the '67 act and its unique fudgery (and SF has long opposed its introduction here).

UK-wide decriminalization is something which can extract the issue from the devolution argument and deliver a crushing hammer blow to the legislative regime here.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Young go getter who backs the wrong candidate in a leadership election but somehow secures the health brief and rises to become leader... That's eerily familiar that is..

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Well Divorce and Blasphemy are still scheduled for October this year - but I doubt that will be much of a fight

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Southpaugh posted:

Hold on a second. A DUP Teachta Dála surely they would have an aneurysm first.

They would call themselves MPs and loudly insist on saying Prime Minister and just shout "I don't know what your saying" as soon as any started speaking Irish.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

https://twitter.com/IrishTimes/status/1031789014011924480?s=19

After months of rumour about back room discussions and nods and winks a full merger may be back on the cards soon.

Look forward to telling the FF canvassers to gently caress off.

Realistically though there's a chance more Labour aligned elements of the party won't agree to this so we might always get a little rump left leaning party that should be good for a few councillors or maybe even an MLA

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

I think Claire Hanna probably has enough of a personal vote at this stage she could carry a seat if there is a significant enough fallout between the wings of the party, a lot of the youth wing is not best pleased about the idea of hitching their wagon to the party of Haughey.

Depends on the names that would come along rather than policy (and of course FF might not be as Unionist/Alliance transfer friendly as the SDLP currently are, which could be to the benefit of any rump)

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

irlZaphod posted:

This seems like a very strange marriage considering how split FF was over the 8th ref. It feels like they're swinging (or just staying) more right.

Like, outside of wanting a united Ireland, I just don't see how the politics of both parties mesh.

Eh there's a resemblance at some level if you squint - there are certainly several SDLP candidates who would not look out of place in FF once you get out of the cities, it's always been a big tent (though that tent has got a lot smaller) that was meant to unite moderate constitutional nationalists with Labour aligned voices. FF's vague centre right social democracy thing would get the hearty thumbs up from the more conservative elements of the party, this isn't the first time a merger was talked about and was all but a done deal right up until 2008 when people oddly stopped talking about (and then Marget Ritchie got elected, who always leaned Labour and killed any merger).

The SDLP and FF are p much on the same page in regards to social issues now, they lifted the party whip on abortion shortly before the referendum to let the youth wing and others to openly campaign down south - though the majority of their elected rep have remained either tight lipped or staunchly pro-Life.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

https://twitter.com/rte/status/1034741163331338240?s=19

Away and gently caress off sean

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

I reckon Higgins will walk it but expect Gallagher to put up a decentish challenge if he can replicate his last run (though I heavily doubt he will hit the same numbers).

I also think Freeman will probably get the nominations and perform well, general recognition from Pieta + a rural vote for her good Catholic pedigree + her recent statements supporting Leo's comments during the Pope visit + putting some sunlight between herself and her extended family re:abortion make her pretty competitive I think.

I don't think Sharkey or O'Doherty will get the nominations to progress.

And of course there's always SFs candidate whoever that will be (I'm imagining Ni Riada) but I'm not sure if any of the prospective candidates on there end have enough of a name recognition to make a massive dent outside of their base.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

In saying that polling today put Higgins at 65%

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

I'm detecting a bit of the old "he should never have signed the water bill" in the noisey O'Doherty lot.

Though she seems to have a v loose grasp on the actual powers of the president.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Tbh I think a corpse could perform the functions of the president.

Might need to have a re-election once they start decomposing and the Aras gets a bit too smelly

kustomkarkommando fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Aug 30, 2018

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

So what do we reckon Casey will finish on tomorrow after first count?

Irish Times has got an exit poll announced btw

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

painted into a coroner posted:

8%. Big jump but not able to break the double digit mark.

I'm thinking 10%, expecting him to overtake the thumb.

I'm hoping the collective comments sections on all Irish websites break down into a frothy rage about the electorate and their love of the FFFG MSM robbing him

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Cicadalek posted:

I haven't been following closely, is there any compelling reason to vote for anyone besides Miggeldy?

Peter Casey said travellers aren't an ethnicity and also are bad for house prices and also welfare scroungers are bleeding us dry and therefore has won over thejournal / Reddit / a large portion of twitter

I guess vote for him if your a oval office

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

I can't see the Blasphemy ref failing tbh

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

I reckon he'll pull above 5% simple from the media impact he generated, still expect him to probably finish behind Ni Riada but maybe ahead of Gallagher based on the general lacklustre reception he got.

I might just be overly suspicious about Gallagher's polling results though as his campaign has been a wet fart

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Also lol at this FF councillor candidate in Tyrone mess possibly leading to disciplinary action against O Cuiv and Daly

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

https://twitter.com/oconnellhugh/status/1055741793659174912?s=19

This sounds less like a rogue action rather than a disorganised fiasco tbh

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

https://twitter.com/RuadhanIT/status/1055926472412708864?s=19

Casey on 21%

gently caress me

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Rte broadly agrees

lol at Gallagher falling to fifth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

I'm not entirely sure the vote for Casey is a wholly new phenomenon, I've chatted to a couple of numpties who voted for him (I am Inishowen adjacent after all) and it all seems very much like the indo vote reflex that gives us the Healey-Raes and their ilk. Anecdotal I know but I struggle to see Renua becoming relevant.

I would say Casey is well enough placed to take a seat in Donegal if he punts for it, though there has been a bit of sceptisim on that front from some heads.

• Locked thread