Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

julian assflange posted:

People worried that this isn't a good time for an election because of the Brexit négociations. Wouldn't make a difference they have done gently caress all about it other than talk about the border.
The only talk about the border has basically been the Government sticking their fingers in their ears and repeating "No hard border" over and over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Is there anything to be said for having another (six) Referendums?

https://twitter.com/chrisrdonoghue/status/912679794407608320

I think it's good that the one for the 8th Amendment will be on its own. The President Age of Candidacy one in 2015 was ridiculously under-covered by everyone because of the (admittedly much more important) Marriage Referendum.

The one for Article 41.2 will depend on the nature of it - whether it's removing it or changing the wording or what. Removing Article 40.6.1 will be good also.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

WeAreTheRomans posted:

What are the practical obstacles to putting all of these on a single ballot?
Do you have any strong arguments in favour or against lowering the age of Presidential candidates from 35 to 21?

e: Also do you recall ever casting a vote in favour or against this?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

It's not just about polling the public, information has to be produced on each one by the Referendum Commission, and in theory each one should have equal coverage and debate in the media. I know some of them looks straightforward and simple but I guarantee there are going to be some shitheads complaining about changing or removing Articles 41.2 and 40.6.1.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

khwarezm posted:

I don't remember it being particularly negative. The worst stuff I'd hear from people like my dad, who in principle had no problem with gay marriage, complain that the campaign was being hijacked by Sinn Fein (yes, before anyone says anything I heard a lot about "those murdering bastards!" when I was growing up). I believe only one county overall voted against it.

The Abortion referendum will be far more divisive.
gently caress you.

The Marriage Equality referendum was absolutely loving horrible, and I never want to be put through anything like that again.

(e: Sorry but it was really bad)

Came in here to have a lol about a possible Christmas election.

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/934069498910576640

https://twitter.com/lisaocarroll/status/934012830038282240

ireland.txt

e: not seeing that last point being mentioned anywhere else, kinda sounds like bullshit.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Nov 24, 2017

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

There's an entire Party of them.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

julian assflange posted:

So there are I thought they died after one of them joined FF or FG
Nope, it did seem lovely and opportunistic of Donnelly to join FF but I'd wager it'll bite him on the arse in the next GE.

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Their manifesto is cool and good,but if they don't gain electoral traction soon they're going to lose any remaining talent. Gary Gannon gets my local #1 preference anyway
Yeah I'm in Dub Central too so I'll be voting for Gannon again. He's a pretty decent guy.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Well, he's stayed visible and active in a way that doesn't come across as pandering. Plus he's also a bit ridey so that doesn't hurt
He was part of the Oireachtas team which my club played against recently, some of my teammates were definitely :swoon: over him.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

My favourite thing about Brexit is the British tabloids saying "Oi if you stupid Paddies don't shut the fack up about your stupid border, we'll go for a Hard Brexit and then you'll be sorry!!!!"

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Yeah it's kind of a shame that, as usual, small business owners and people on lower (or no) incomes are the ones who will suffer.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Also here's the most recent recommendations from the Constituency Commission, which haven't yet been implemented by the Government.

https://twitter.com/IrishPolMaps/status/879837900849983488

So we may not only have a snap election called tomorrow (or this week), but the results may be open to a Constitutional challenge!

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

e: oh sorry you wanted to know about the Brexit poo poo.

Basically the Tories and DUP don't give a gently caress about the Good Friday Agreement. It stipulates that there should be no border between North and South. That's fine when we're both in the EU, but once the North leaves you will have a corner of this island which isn't in a customs, trade and travel union with 25 other nations.

The Government are rightly raising concerns about this, the right-wing British media are painting it as a nothing matter which we're only kicking up a fuss over to achieve our own goals (which apparently is a United Ireland lol).

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Nov 27, 2017

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

No, the most surreal thing was after the election when I started getting messages from friends in the mainland asking me to explain who the DUP were, and why Northern Ireland had no Government at the time. "RHI scandal? Never heard of it."

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

crispix posted:

I lived in Edinburgh for around 5 years and I met several English people who did not know that Northern Ireland was part of the UK. Not even just thick people - one guy was a chemical engineer getting on for 30 and he hadn't the faintest idea what the place really was. Presumably they had never looked at the covers of their passports, idk :/
I mean... it's in the full name of their union. United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. :psyduck:

e: I assume that's what it says on the front of the passport? Haven't looked at a UK passport in a long time really, if ever.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Jesus she's really loving doubling down. Surely knowingly falsely accusing McCabe of being a pedo constitutes interference in the O'Higgins Commission?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

The annoying thing is that I don't think either Leo or Martin can back down without appearing weak to their respective Party. Leo maybe has an opportunity with yesterday's releases, and the opinion turning against Fitzgerald. At this point, the best course of action is for her to resign. She can still maintain that she has done nothing wrong (even though she clearly has), but that she's resigning "in the best interests of the Government/country" or whatever spin her office wants to put on it.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/935421654297202688

I have no love for FG so I'm not particularly upset by this, but I don't understand the stubbornness of either the Taoiseach or the Tánaiste. Leo should just tell her that he's going to throw her under the bus for the good of the party. That's politics. Maybe it won't look good for him, but neither is losing an election because of this. This is literally going to be the #1 issue on peoples minds.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Mentioned this yesterday, but PLOT TWIST

https://twitter.com/FrankGreaney/status/935465923112325120

(How long has this case has been going on? Is it related to the 32nd Dáil? I'm pretty sure those recommendations are from earlier this year).

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

https://twitter.com/rte/status/935480262082916353

e: She's due to make a statement at 2pm apparently.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Nov 28, 2017

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

It also would have completely disrupted the Joint Oireachtas Committee on the 8th Amendment. I would expect a GE early in 2018 though. Can't see Confidence and Supply agreement lasting much longer.

I suppose we should be thankful that she didn't run for FG leadership this year (and get in), I'm wondering now if she knew that the writing would be on the wall sooner or later.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Loving all the hot takes of "Uh actually the people do want an election before Christmas because of *checks thejournal dot ie* the homeless problem".

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

He probably will, and Gerard Craughwell is mad as heck about it and definitely not just seeking attention, because by golly Michael D said that he would definitely only do 1 term.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

That aul one in the red hat is causing some serious nationalism among Irish Twitter.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Yeah I don't get the big upping of Cornish people, and the unfair generalisation of the rest of England as Toerags. Most of the bad people in England are Tories, also there's a lot of unsound pro-Brexit Welsh people

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I'm only sort of half-following what's happening today but it sounds pretty messed up?

Like May agreed some sort of deal, Arlene gave a press conference, the two of them spoke, then May went back in and said there'd be no deal. Something like that?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Uhhhhhh so no hard border between either NI and Ireland, or the island of Ireland and GB. So I guess this means that any deal reached in the next Phases is going to have to honour that.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Well it's a written agreement from the UK that they're not going to gently caress things up in the Trade Deal negotiations.

Like, basically, from what I'm seeing, it's just going to end up with the UK remaining in the single market, except now they're paying for it and have no say in anything which happens in it.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

All this Brexit lark is shining a light on just how incompetent Senior figures in the Tory party really are.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

How conservative are Northern Sinn Feiners? I always thought the really hard-line conservatives were the DUPers (or Unionists in general).

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Awesome.

https://twitter.com/_mattuna/status/948562546847600640

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

There's some National Party bozo on Twitter with about 100 followers replying to anyone who's telling Nazis to piss off.

He literally pulled a "You're the real Nazis".

https://twitter.com/EvanOHerlihyNP/status/948569668348006400

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Well they'll jump on anything to further their agenda, they don't need logic or care about whether there's another motive. They certainly don't give a poo poo about the victims.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Oh god I'm outside of the range of the 2nd poll. :smithicide:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I was going to say that Leo hasn't even been running any #MAGA poo poo to appeal to people on low income, but I forgot about this.

https://twitter.com/welfare_ie/status/854305083433123841

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Blut posted:

Didn't that campaign also end up costing a good chunk of what welfare fraud actually costs the state on a yearly basis? Even aside from the terrible morality of it thats just bad financial policy.
Not 100% sure, but around the time this one launched, I read that a similar campaign which was run in the UK wasn't very successful.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Identity fraud would only be one scenario of Welfare fraud though. You'd have to look at the breakdown of cases to see how much or how little it contributes to it overall.

Also apparently the numbers originally reported by the DSP to Sinn Féin were incorrect:
http://www.thejournal.ie/leo-welfare-cheats-3418436-May2017/

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

:discourse:

https://twitter.com/lorcansirr/status/949306932321570816

This loving country, I swear.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Temporary basis??? but I could be wrong.
It's apparently temporary, and also:

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/949322203920781312

So the decision was likely made prior to his comments last week. However, that was still a month after this:

http://www.thejournal.ie/homelessness-normal-conor-skehan-3693850-Nov2017/

quote:

“HOMELESSNESS IS A dreadful thing when it happens to someone, but it is a normal thing, it happens,” according to the chair of a major State housing body.

Speaking on RTÉ’s Morning Ireland, Conor Skehan said we need to move from a situation where we use words like “homeless’” and “crisis” continuously.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/district-court/man-accquitted-over-homophobic-graffiti-on-dublin-gay-bar-1.3377852

quote:

A 24-year-old man has been cleared of carrying out a homophobic graffiti attack saying “faggots out” at one of Dublin’s best known gay bars.

[...]

Despite allegedly admitting the crime to gardaí, he was granted a dismissal following a number of technical arguments made by defence solicitor Tony Collier.

The lawyer contended that the case had to be thrown out due to gaps in evidence such as the lack of CCTV evidence as well as the absence of a Garda witness who authorised an interview when Mr Berkeley allegedly owned up.

The Gardai are fundamentally incompetent.

The article doesn't really mention what the lack of CCTV evidence was though, apparently the Gardai themselves watched it and based on that arrested Berkeley. What happened to it, then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Yeah, it seems to be a perfect balance of corrupt and incompetent.

• Locked thread