Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
I've been needling away at this poem recently, it feels like it's missing something, another verse maybe, and perhaps there's other stuff I've missed:

Winter Grave (slight note, a sternburg is a cheap beer that's really common here)
Slick cold half melted ice rehardened
lines the cobblestones searching for an errant foot
to trap and topple the midnight walker
she slides
envisions an ignoble end
hand flung just in time to catch the frigid rail
palms half stick to rough new frost.

Straightened body reset weight she shifts to safety
Reflects on near misses
as gaze set down
the glittering banks of the river seized in place
She notes, half submerged the bodies
drowned christmas trees discarded in the dark
Corpses unsunk the crime revealed by frost

Rime shine frost set fresh on edges
revealing the reaching branches
That tangle together in desperate knots
Abandoned past their season
Bodies shedding with frost their only friend
She thinks on things abandoned after christmas
Finishes her Sternburg and sets the bottle down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
Thanks for the feedback guys, I've altered some of the lines to tighten it up a bit, though I've become happier with how it ends rather than thinking it might need another verse.

Slick grey half melted ice rehardened
lines the cobblestones searching for an errant foot
to trap and topple the midnight walker
she slides
envisions an ignoble end
hand flung just in time to catch the frigid rail
palms half stick to rough new frost.

Straightened body weight reset she shifts to safety
Her view over railing
A reflection on near misses
the glittering banks of the river seized in place
She notes, half submerged the bodies
drowned christmas trees discarded in the dark
Corpses unsunk the crime betrayed by cold

Rime shine frost set fresh on edges
revealing the reaching branches
That tangle together in desperate knots
Abandoned past their season
Bodies shedding with ice unhappy lovers
She thinks on things abandoned after christmas
Finishes her Sternburg and sets the bottle down.

Jitzu_the_Monk posted:

I've got a question about submitting poetry to lit mags. For mags that accept multiple submissions, am I better off submitting one poem I think they will really like, or should I submit as many pieces as they let me? Lately I've been using a "throw gum at the wall" strategy, thinking I should submit as many stylistically varied poems to a single outlet that I can, all in the hopes that one will stick. On the other hand, I'm wondering if a lack of consistent style between poems will hurt ALL my submissions. That is, if an outlet hates most of my work, will the staff there really ignore all that dislike just to print the one piece they do enjoy? What's the conventional wisdom on this within the poetry publishing community?

My advice is generally submit as many as you can. As someone who organises poetry events and exhibitions if someone submits four things I don't like and one thing I think is great it's not going to make me pass up the one great thing. (At worst I'll hint to them they should definitely do more stuff in the style of that one thing so I can greedily consume their work).

Catfishenfuego fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Apr 26, 2016

• Locked thread