Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flerp
Feb 25, 2014

death .cab for qt posted:

Immigrants

"I don’t want no loving Somalians living in my state,” he says,
white knuckles wrapped around a black coffee. i feel like this image could be a bit more striking and the whole white and black aspect of it is kind of interesting if maybe you kept that kind of imagery throughout the whole piece.
The irony is lost on him. what irony??? and i think you could like, maybe something more clever him than the cliche "the irony is lost on him"

“Bunch of lazy no-good idiots if you ask me,” another grunts.
It's 10:30 on a Tuesday morning. huh, wow, do I care about the time

“They lie, and cheat. You can’t trust any of them.” this is so loving obvious jesus christ. like, do you even consider these people like real people rather than strawmen who say these things?
He is renting a motel room tonight by the hour. what? oh he's hiring a prostitute or something?

“I hear they’re a bunch of rapists.
I’m worried about my daughter living so close to them.” you see, this line COULD work, because like, racist peoples are generally not like "they are all rapists" theyre more like "I dont know, they live in a bad neighborhood and I'm worried they'll be a bad influence" in this day and age
His wife owns a different shade of foundation depending on her bruises. oh wow is that super cliche, not a bad line imo, just like, super loving obvious idea

"At least I can provide for my family.
They just want to suck on the government's teat."
This will be the seventh consecutive year
that his government insurance
will cover his farm's drastically low yield. OH WOW THAT IS SO IRONIC AND CLEVER OH WRITER HOW DID YOU EVER GET THIS CLEVER?

“They just want to move in and take over.
In a few years, they’ll be everywhere.
If we don’t say no now, then this country is going to go to poo poo.”

The men sip their coffee,
and nod in quiet certainty,
on a land called Dakota lol middle america am i rite?

Congratulations, you have written a STDH poem! This has absolutely no nuance to the subject matter whatsoever. So it feels like you are just writing stereotypes in order to like say stereotypes are bad? There's no uniqueness to this story. What's the point? "Racism is bad and racists are bad people." But like, that's it. And you're presenting it in such a boring and generic manner. There's nothing in this poem that feels original. It's all just parroting ideas of the generic hick racist and you dont even show that well.

Now, I'm not a big traditional poet. I write free verse when I do write poetry, but I'm not like a big expert on meter or beats and stuff. I just kind of read the poem to see if it flows well for me, or if it doesn't flow well, there's an intentional reason why. These just feel like sentences strung together without any regard as to how a reader will actually read them. It's choppy and doesn't flow like, at all. Like that fourth paragraph, each line just exists on its own. I feel like you didn't have any consideration of how your reader would read the poem and as such, it lacks that flow that helps make a poem more effective.

Lastly, I think images are very important in poems, especially if you're going to do free verse. Your poem needs something, and racist stereotype conversations aren't enough. I need to see, or feel, or touch, or hear, or taste something in poems. You have a few that gives me images, like "white knuckles wrapped around a black coffee" and "His wife owns..." Personally, I think those images are kind of weak. The whole white knuckles/black coffee doesn't really work because you don't wrap your knuckles around the coffee, but like, the actual mug it's in, so then I'm left to make up some kind of mug. The "His wife owns..." could work stronger if you made it more specific like "His wife pulls out her pile (i dont know makeup terminology im sry) of foundation and tries to find the right one for the bruise." That doesn't flow well and I'd edit it to make have a better flow, but now I got the wife actually doing thing and a more vivid image in my head.

Anyways, yeah, thanks for making the thread, I might post some poems later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
ima just dump this poem i wrote for a class so it doesnt seem like im just being a dick in this thread, based off of a painting called "The Night by Max Beckmann. Cool painting, should def. check it out. maybe ill write new one tomorrow idk.

What I Know

The Night is a 20th-century painting by German artist
Max Beckmann... The Night's illogical composition relays
post-war disillusionment and the artist's confusion over
the “society he saw descending into madness.”

-Wikipedia

I don’t know how it feels
to sling a gun
over the shoulder,
to stare above trenches,
bombs pounding dirt like
a paintbrush
dipped into brown ink.

to have those crosshairs trained
on a gray
shivering uniform.

to take in the air,
and taste the dirt
scrape against the tongue.

to press the trigger and
see the other boy turn
and fall.

to be that boy who falls to the ground,
to feel the sting
like a needle stabbed
into the back of the skull,
breaking bone,
to feel the hair
get cold and
heavy with blood,
to feel that moment
of relief like a
black bird, breaking
through the chest,
to feel the wings glide
through the haze
and land on smooth metal,
claws wrapping around
a golden fence.

to be a sculptor
etching in one name
in marble and hear
a black bird, that
boy in the dirt,
crying outside.

to be that boy
who comes home
and drops his gun on the desk
and looks at a white canvas.

to be that boy who hears
water dripping from the faucet
but hears the other boy
dropping to the dirt.

to be that boy’s nightmare of
rough rope digging into
the neck, and gray faces
blurring like ink,
eyes and noses and mouths
shifting into sharp shapes.

to be that boy
who dips a paintbrush
into ink and slices
streaks of red
across the white paper
like a cut that doesn’t bleed,
a red stain across the wrist.

to be that boy
who takes in
the bombs and the bullets,
the blood and the body,
the bird and the name,
the bristles and the colors
and throws the ink, everything
into a white lockbox
now stained with
reds and blacks
and browns and grays.

to be a boy with wet paper,
stuck between fingers that look
like wings,
shaking, ready
to pull apart
the nightmare.

I don’t know it feels
to let the paper slide
against the finger,
and lets The Night land
on the desk, and stay.

to be that boy, but I
know
that
boy.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

Entenzahn posted:

First I want to call her an angel why? what makes her like an angel? also, man, that's pretty cliche. did you also want to ask her if she fell from heaven? i understand kind of the point is to be like "well, she's not rly a cliche" but when you start with one, idk, it's not giving me a good first impression of your poem.,
but then she chuckles,
like we're about to do something forbidden like what? gently caress? vandalize a water tower? say hitler did nothing wrong?, it's probably better to end the sentence here with a period since it starts to run on a bit and the idea seems to end here.
and strands of her hair dance with each other this isn't awful but hair dancing feels a bit obvious and generic, i want something more. also, i think this can be more vivid. is it brown hair, red, blonde? i don't have a good image of this women except she's an angel and has long hair I guess. maybe push the metaphor more. the whole dancing with each other makes me kind of thing of the hair holding onto each other like dancers, but it's not pushed far enough if you're going to use it. as she turns,
and then she raises her bottle with a residual smirk
and do you really want each line starting with and? 'cause it feels choppy, because i think of a little kid just being really overexcited and going and then and then and then. doesn't sound good for a poem imo. squints at me as it touches her lips,
playful eyes throwing the night-sky back at me ok this is good description + metaphor double whammy.

She drinks dark beer.
She doesn't need platitudes. These lines standing on their own feels weak. Dark beer doesn't conjure up a very good image and "doesn't need platitudes" is very abstract. Lines on it's own should be wowing me. This doesn't whatsoever

Instead I'll call her this:
Imagine I hate it when authors say "imagine" it's like wtf, isn't your job to be making me imagine? also, it feels like you're talking to me directly and i hate and it feels so cheesy being blind for all your life
and one day you wake up and see
a rainbow. something about this stanza bothers me, and I think it's because, in all of these lines, there's only one concrete thing in this and that is "rainbow." that's part of the point but there's four lines of what amounts to filler to get to this rainbow. sure, this could work if you had given me enough images earlier to basically "earn" all this build-up to one last crescendo, but you don't earn it here

Ah, a love poem. How adorable. I think the issue with love poems is a lot of times is that love poems embrace the cliche. Hell, even Shakespeare like a million years ago called out poets for being so cliche. You're aware of the cliches but instead of actually writing a poem that isn't cliche, you use a cliche (what, she's an ANGEL?????) and you're like "no, no, you see, I know it's cliche and I'm calling it out." Well, how about you just not use the cliche?

Meter wise, this is just very... normal? The first stanza is too long and starts to drag as I read it at around the fourth line (especially with the repetition of and) because each sentence are constructed the same way. Adding periods or varying your sentences will make it flow much better. That second stanza is... I don't like that meter. It starts then STOPS........ then starts and STOPS (do you get what I mean? i'm not sure how to explain this through text tbh). Doesn't sound good. The third one is kind of like your first but it works better because it's short so you don't need to vary. But that end of "a rainbow" is just so abrupt. There's some kind of build-up I feel with this poem but it's just a rainbow? That's all you got? A word standing on it's own should be something huge or big.

Why a rainbow? What is it about her that makes her a rainbow? What would be so amazing about being blind your entire life and looking at a rainbow? When I think of rainbows, I think of colors. I think of all those colors in the gray sky. Your poem doesn't have like any color. "Night-sky" is probably the one color I see. Maybe "dark beer" a bit but that's bit too vague. I think an image like a rainbow needs to come from something that's given us a lot of color. Have her BE a rainbow in the poem. Have her be that color in the gray sky. Make the reader think, unconsciously, that she is a rainbow. And then, when you get us to understand that, and we get to the end and you say "she's a rainbow" I'm like "hell yeah she is!" instead of "I guess?"

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

Jitzu_the_Monk posted:

I've got a question about submitting poetry to lit mags. For mags that accept multiple submissions, am I better off submitting one poem I think they will really like, or should I submit as many pieces as they let me? Lately I've been using a "throw gum at the wall" strategy, thinking I should submit as many stylistically varied poems to a single outlet that I can, all in the hopes that one will stick. On the other hand, I'm wondering if a lack of consistent style between poems will hurt ALL my submissions. That is, if an outlet hates most of my work, will the staff there really ignore all that dislike just to print the one piece they do enjoy? What's the conventional wisdom on this within the poetry publishing community?

so if a publication is saying "send us up to 5 poems" they generally aren't looking to publish a collection of poems. rather, they're just looking for you to send them up to 5 poems and they'll pick the ones they want to publish. it doesnt really matter if they're connected or not in any way, just send them as if theyre unrelated because they prob are. so dont worry about them being disconnected/thematically dissimilar/one of them is way worse than the rest because that shouldn't have any bearing on getting any of the other ones published.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

this is a good poem

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
dont answer ur questions thats boring just make ur questions more interesting imo

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
anyways into a real critique of i grew a beard, i dont really care for it since im an image man when it comes to poems and theres no like real images to the poem. while i feel like the central conceit and question is cool, it never goes quite beyond that. it just kinda says to itself "yeah that was deep" but doesnt rly ponder the question and is just like "well reader what do u think" w/o really convincing me to put in the time to think about the question. its just there and there's nothing really there, nothing really to see, and nothing quite there to feel. u dont convince me to think about ur question so im just left thinking ehhhh w/e

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

Radio du Cambodge posted:

Poisonous Dick

Everyone is scared
of my poison dick.
Because if you touch it,
you might die.

:same:

• Locked thread