Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Armack
Jan 27, 2006

Catfishenfuego posted:

Winter Grave

Slick cold half melted ice rehardened Cold+ice is cliché, use a different word than "cold"
lines the cobblestones searching for an errant foot :radcat: Nice. I'm glad you made the ice so active
to trap and topple the midnight walker
she slides
envisions an ignoble end
hand flung just in time to catch the frigid rail
palms half stick to rough new frost.

Straightened body, reset weight she shifts to safety I think "weight reset" would sound better here, but maybe that's just me.
Reflects on near misses
as gaze set down awkward line, "as gaze"
the glittering banks of the river seized in place
She notes, half submerged the bodies
drowned christmas trees discarded in the dark
Corpses unsunk, the crime revealed by frost :radcat:

Rime shine frost set fresh on edges :radcat:
revealing the reaching branches
That tangle together in desperate knots
Abandoned past their season
Bodies shedding with frost their only friend "x is my/their only friend" is cliché
She thinks on things abandoned after christmas
Finishes her Sternburg and sets the bottle down.

The best thing about this poem is how it finds new and inventive ways to convey the old "one foot in the grave" idea. We have ice "half melted" but also "rehardened"; presumably warm, living palms "half stick" to a frosty rail; a reflection on near misses (in the course of her life, she has been close to falling/death before); "bodies...Corpses" are only partially buried insofar as the trees are "half submerged". You really drive this point home well. Some of the images are good, for example the hand on the rail and the felled trees, half sunk and covered in frost. I think this piece is fine without another verse. Unless that verse is amazing don't shoehorn it in just to have it there. With revision, this could be a neat poem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armack
Jan 27, 2006
I've got a question about submitting poetry to lit mags. For mags that accept multiple submissions, am I better off submitting one poem I think they will really like, or should I submit as many pieces as they let me? Lately I've been using a "throw gum at the wall" strategy, thinking I should submit as many stylistically varied poems to a single outlet that I can, all in the hopes that one will stick. On the other hand, I'm wondering if a lack of consistent style between poems will hurt ALL my submissions. That is, if an outlet hates most of my work, will the staff there really ignore all that dislike just to print the one piece they do enjoy? What's the conventional wisdom on this within the poetry publishing community?

• Locked thread