Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

afterhours posted:

Cuba Gooding Jr is a great actor, but I feel like he's a little too... soft for this role. The way OJ has been described in interviews made him seem like someone that was terrifying when they flew into a rage.

Last week, Dr Phil had some family of the victims on his show with the author of the book and some people who worked on the mini-series. It was a lot of "how dare you profit on our pain" accusations. It rang a little hollow to me. This whole incident has been exploited and discussed and dramatized so many times that I don't think this particular series should create a unique sense of outrage. I had to watch the trailer after the show, because the way they described it made it sound like TMZ and the Dailymail were going into the business of dramatic reenactments.

And besides, at what point does something like this become history and open for general examination and critical discourse? Acting quality aside, I don't think this series has been particularly sensationalist and appears to be presenting us with a reasonably accurate portrayal of the events in question, which is a perfectly valid and good thing for a dramatization to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Toilet Mouth posted:

I don't think the Kardashian kids stuff is out of place at all, since one of the central points of the series is the birth of modern celebrity culture. You can't really blame the show for a lack of subtlety when it comes to that plotline since the show clearly isn't interested in subtlety period.

Besides how can you not love the Kardashian Kids being told that honor and virtue are more important than being shameless fame whores and their faces going blank like robots that just got Kirk'd.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Fuhrman's walk of shame was amazing, every single black person in the room was shooting hate lasers at him and Marcia Clark looked like she wanted to wilt up and die.

TOOT BOOT posted:

Mark Fuhrman works at Fox News now as a crime scene expert.

Fuhrman, Ollie North, any more escaped criminals paying the rent at :foxnews:?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Sand Monster posted:

How does the implication work, though, when the jury is not present to hear Fuhrman invoking the 5th amendment? I was previously under the assumption that this was done in front of the jury, but it wasn't. I get the whole "they'll find out after their first conjugal visit" aspect, but is there more to it than that?

That portion was still being televised and Cochran wanted the nation to hear it as much as the jurors, squeezing every bit of implication possible out of the situation was still a win on that front even if it didn't directly impact the case.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

You know in the movies where the police captain is like "dammit, I don't like your methods but you get results!" and then doesn't bring the hero cop up for flagrant violations of police conduct/civil liberties? It seems like the LAPD/Marcia Clark is actually literally that.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

sportsgenius86 posted:

The big issue with trying on the murder gloves was that he couldn't do it without having rubber gloves on underneath and given that those gloves are designed to fit close to begin with, it would be remarkably difficult, even for someone who wanted to make them fit, to get them on without a struggle. The difficulty in putting them on over the rubber gloves was exactly what the defense wanted the jury to see.

OJ's then-friend Mike Gilbert also claims in his book "How I Helped O.J. Get Away With Murder" that he told OJ to stop taking arthritis medication so his hands would swell up before the fitting.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

Yes, they definitely should've cast a 68-year-old to play a man in his late 40s.

Hello, I have every teen role ever on the line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I know, but it's still a pretty silly complaint in general. If the makeup can make it work then so what? There's a lot more age shifting in adult roles than most people realize anyway.

• Locked thread